• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired: Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is...

HamPster PamPster said:
Everyone forgets Super Mario Land :(
Supermariolandboxart.jpg

*Jumps on Turtle Shell, tries to grab it*

BOOM

"WTF?"

zweifuss

TheExodu5 said:
Floaty? WTF. SMW has by far the most responsive controls in the entire series.

I think our definitions of floaty are different. What I meant was in SMW, Mario just slips around too much. Not as much inertia effects in SMB3. You have more air control in SMW, whereas in SMB3 it has a tighter feel to it. Don't know how else to explain it. It just feels right. And those coin and jumping sounds were castrated heavily for this game. I prefer the 'boing' sound to the quiet 'hoop' noise.

That being said I still whip up SMW more than I do SMB3. More colours, more variety, more inventiveness. ARGH I'm so torn on the two games, it's a tough decision!

KingJ2002

I agree... when i think of the definitive mario experience for me growing up... it was Super Mario World... followed by Super Mario 64... that game blew my mind. :lol

USD

I was expecting Super Mario Sunshine or something.
zweifuss said:
I like it too, but it has by far the worst Mario sprite out of all the games IMO. And the controls are too floaty. For me, SMB3 is the sweet spot.
This one made me laugh. :lol World easily has tighter controls than 3.

kitzkozan

Miyamoto has good taste,but so do I. :D

SMW is easily my favorite mario game,always was and probably will be.

At first,I finished the game and was like: yeah,it was great but I prefer mario bros 3 with all the costumes and shit.Then,my friend found some stuff and told me about secret paths which gave access to secret levels and I replayed Mario world over and over to discover everything.

So much creativity with the genius level design,flying all over the place and mastering it,all the different Yoshi,secret exits,etc.

Super Mario World was my favorite until the multiplayer of NSMBW. Don't see how that's shots fired.

Little surprised they haven't brought back a lot of the ideas from that game though if he likes it so much.

Regulus Tera said:
Its sequel was superior in every aspect.

The one thing I didn't like about SML2 was that Mario took up too much of the screen. It didn't leave much space to show what was in ahead of you, something they got right in the first game. But other than that I would agree.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Difficulty level was too easy in SML2.

The first game however was far too short.

Muffdraul

I always felt like a freak because it seemed like everyone else thought SMB3 was the ultimate Mario. "What's wrong with me??? Why do I think SMW is better?!" Nice to be vindicated. :D

Crayon

Why he wouldn't say Yoshi's Island:

Theres and old Miyamoto interview in Next Generation magazine which I just re-read a few weeks ago. Theres a section I would like to re-type for you guys but I can't go digging for the mag at the moment. So I'll paraphrase.

NG: With Super Mario 64 you are starting from scratch with the gameplay. Will it be possible for it to surpass or even match Yoshi's Island which was a 5th generation refinement of gameplay?

SG: With Yoshi's Island I sought to create an intensified experience. There are tradeoffs to this intensified gameplay style. With Super Mario 64, we're going all the way back in the other direction and bringing a very broad and wide open play experience. In this way it may not be as intensely concentrated as Yoshi's Island but by the virtue of exploring new possibilities it can surpass Yoshi's Island in gameplay.

I checked to see if the magazine was easily at hand but it's not. sorry. But that's pretty much what he said and I agree. Yoshi's Island is sweet but it doesn't have "everything" like he said of world. He considers it an "intensified experience" and thus hardcore like us tend to gravitate towards it for it's focus and challenge. Something like SMW or SM64 has something for everyone.

edit: And NSMB Wii is ass in comparison to any proper Mario game. Balls ass crap.

GhaleonQ

*expected Sunshine*
*is pleased, because it's my favorite*

Crayon said:
Why he wouldn't say Yoshi's Island.

Because it's not a Super Mario game (except as a subset, in which case we'll include tons of other fantastic game)? SHOTS FIRED AGAIN.

leroidys

more like super garbage world

MARIO 3 FOREVERRRRRRRRRRR

remember, you can only like one game in a series and the rest have to be relative shit

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Secretly his favourite is Dr. Mario which is why they are releasing it yet again on the 3DS.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
IAWTM(iyamoto's)P

3 had a far more inspired art direction than World, though, I'll certainly give it that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kurtofan said:
SMW2 isn't even called SMW in Japan,it's a Yoshi game not a Mario game.
You're right, it was just called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island. No magical World word there.

Gravijah

Shig said:
IAWTM(iyamoto's)P

3 had a far more inspired art direction than World, though, I'll certainly give it that.

Really? I like Worlds art direction better. There's really nothing like it out there, I want a sequel so badly.

Kurtofan said:
SMW2 isn't even called SMW in Japan,it's a Yoshi game not a Mario game.

Super Mario: Yossy Island or whatevers.

madara

Glad he can acknowledge the truth! I would die for a true 2D mario in vein of SMW please. Could also go for Lttp/Zelda 2 combo.

Nairume

Banned
In this thread, GAF confuses "favorite" and "best".

To be honest, I like SMB3 more but I won't deny that I consider SMW to be the better game.

Jay Sosa

Speevy said:
The final fight with Bowser too.

That was the only letdown for me(I'm no framerate nazi but even I was appalled by the slowdowns), other than that it truly is overlooked and underrated. The atmosphere was perfect, way more enjoyable than most of Mario 64.

Awesome Game! But i like Super Mario Brothers 3 the best. I feel that it has better level design, and i love all of the different powerups.

Requeim

not even close, all the NES mario games are better than SMW, and so is Yoshi's Island

SMB 3 is not only the best mario game, it's one of the best games of all time

Kurtofan

BGBW said:
You're right, it was just called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island. No magical World word there.
Weird,I was sure it wasn't called Mario.
Still, Mario has a minor role in this game.

Top Bottom