• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired: Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is...

I remember being maybe 9 or so and an uncle of mine had completely turned SMW inside out. He had every secret and every path down to a tee. It inspired me so much to play it.

zon

Shiggy speaks truth. If you really think SMB3 is better than SMW then you got some serious issues son.

zon said:
Shiggy speaks truth. If you really think SMB3 is better than SMW then you got some serious issues son.

Them's fightin' words, dude. I find SMW to be the inferior game, and even overrated, but if someone finds it to be the better game, that's their prerogative.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Funny, because I've been playing, watching replays, and spectating the living FUCK out of SMW the past few days and absolutely loving to death!

Favorite is the world...
great isn't the word....
excellent isn't the word...
superb isn't the word...

...this game is the utter fucking definition of PURE FLAWLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Period.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
On a semi-related note, I heard Miyamoto was in the United States recently and attended some kind of arcade event. Would someone please put me up to speed on why exactly he was over here and is there a thread discussing his visit?

I also think SMW is the better game, but I often wonder if it matters which one you played first as a kid. For some reason I didn't buy SMB3 on release and I ended up playing SMW before I ever played 3.
How about the other SMW lovers? Did you play it before or after 3?

Requeim

Shin_Kojima said:
I also think SMW is the better game, but I often wonder if it matters which one you played first as a kid. For some reason I didn't buy SMB3 on release and I ended up playing SMW before I ever played 3.

not a SMW lover, but i'll answer anyway

I grew up on Sonic 2, and i played through SMB3 and SMW for the first time when i was about 13 years old

SMW is such an inferior game (in comparison to 3, Yoshi's island etc)

zon

Shin_Kojima said:

I played SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 and then SMW.

SMW is the winrar, no question.

SMB3 is my favourite, but SMW is still one hell of a game. The only thing I don't like is the graphics- I much prefer the look of the All-Stars SMB3.

Shin_Kojima said:

I played 3 first, & SMW is the better game.

Only visiting to say Miyamoto is right and Super Mario World is wholy awesome.
So, so so fucking good, and the one that has less tributes in the saga (thanks to SMG2 that has changed a little).
BTW. SMW Castle theme is the best castle mario theme ever! And the credits are incredible.

zoukka

Super Mario World had so much content. It felt like an adventure game because of all the secrets. I still haven't finished it 100% I think...

1GabUp

You can't really lose by saying Super Mario World. This game is a classic. It’s really hard for me to choose between SMB3 or SMW because both have theirs respective interesting concepts.

I find Miyamoto's response a little bit strange nonetheless because I remember reading on this forum that he was rushed to finish SMW and wasn't completely satisfied with the way it turned out because of this.

Mantorok

zoukka said:
Super Mario World had so much content. It felt like an adventure game because of all the secrets. I still haven't finished it 100% I think...

The sneaky third exit in the forest level was the only sly part of the game as it didn't take you to an alternative route. I wonder how many people got to 95 and didn't figure out where the 96th finish was...

BowieZ

Banned
The smartest thing Nintendo has ever done with their games, especially Mario, is to make no such thing as the "ultimate / best" game in each particular series. They are always trying new things, new structures, new powerups and layouts, and features etc.; some of them succeed brilliantly, some of them are less successful than something that had come previously.

We are always excited for the next Mario game to see if it can truly capitulate on all the best aspects of Mario, but because Mario means so many different things to so many different people, and has achieved this over 25 years, and because they are always trying something new, the 'ultimate' Mario game will probably never be released.

Having said that, Yoshi's Island (a Mario sequel where you control Yoshi), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Super Mario Bros. 3 (any incarnation), are my top 3.

I have a blast playing them. When it comes to Super Mario World, while the game ticks a LOT of boxes, and is great in theory and concept, and has such a strong world map and sense of adventure, I dunno... I just don't really have so much fun.

The physics? The art style? The enemies/koopas? The music? (The music theme is brilliant and its variations throughout the score are clever, but it's definitely my least favorite array of compositions.)

Damn straight. Ive always thought that, but i would always get chewed out by people saying Mario 3 is way better than the rest of the series. So ive learned to keep my mouth shut.

To me Mario world is the pinnacle of 2D platforming, and was on the system where 2D games mattered the most. I also love how Mario looking he is in the game, apposed to Mario 1-3. Though Mario has seen better days when it comes to power ups and suits.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Requeim said:
why would you do that to yourself

NES version for life
Aren't you able to pick a costume from the title screen in the All-Stars version? Kuribo's Shoe in any level! Heard it mentioned on a recent Giant Bomb podcast.

zoukka said:

Which is part of the problem. A little too much adventure, not enough platforming.

T: Do you have favorite parts about the re-mastered editions of the older games?

SM: Well, I look back and play some of these games and there are a lot of places where, to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed. I look at Super Mario 3, and was like, "This was it?! This is what we thought was good enough?" That being said, I do have new understandings of that work. The balance in that game is what it needed to be at that time. It really was. And so, even seeing all the limitations, I'm very happy with what we created and I wouldn't change it.

Now shots have been fired.

http://techland.com/2010/11/08/shig...do-designer-speaks-on-the-mythology-of-mario/

I'm going to go grab some popcorn.

MisterHero

But Miyamoto also said if Link and Mario were both in a burning building and could only save one, that he'd save Link.

I think debating which Mario is the better Mario is missing the larger threat here

Rich!

MisterHero said:
But Miyamoto also said if Link and Mario were both in a burning building and could only save one, that he'd save Link.

That's only because Link is Miyamoto's younger self.

MisterHero said:
Well, Link has the body of a 12 year old girl, Mario on the other hand looks like he ate a 12 year old girl. I doubt Miyamoto would be able to carry Mario.

XiaNaphryz said:
Aren't you able to pick a costume from the title screen in the All-Stars version? Kuribo's Shoe in any level! Heard it mentioned on a recent Giant Bomb podcast.

I think that's doable only in certain copies of the NES version.

Codeblue

I thought it was going to be Sunshine based on the thread title.

Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time, so I'm glad my opinion is validated by the guy who created the character.

Top Bottom