• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should All Specific Game OTs go in the Community Forum?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The only idea offered in this thread is a separate section for Gaming OTs. That way you can always know where to go for general discussion of a game you're playing no matter how new or old it is. The community forum largely exists in my mind to link players of games with robust multiplayer components regardless of the age of the game. The Dark Souls situation is a little unsettling because the game is barely two weeks old, and the discussion in the thread is overwhelmingly about the singleplayer experience- strategies, secrets, lore discussion. It definitely feels like the move to Community is a banishment due to its popularity. Since the thread can't really be used for organizing multiplayer sessions like the Reach thread, I certainly see it dying a quicker death over there.

TheExodu5 said:
Aeana, I'm really starting to see your point on the megathreads issue. I just realized that Modern Warfare 3 comes out in 2 weeks and I don't know a single thing about it because all of the news is buried in a 2000+ post thread.
If it evolves into a megathread, it's up to the OP to keep the first post updated for new readers. It's what I did whenever I started a Skyrim thread: we'd get one big drop of info, and then we'd get small tidbits mentioned while we waited for the next one. There's no sense in making a new thread for something small like "You can disable your HUD", that'd be even worse.

-Pyromaniac- said:
come on, that's not true at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440227

all the information has been updated into the OP by the thread creator. That is the duty of thread creators.
Perfect example.

Hawkian said:
When is the OT for Skyrim coming btw?
November 4. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
come on, that's not true at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440227

all the information has been updated into the OP by the thread creator. That is the duty of thread creators.

Yes, it's updated, and the OP did a good job. The issue here is that I'm not exposed to the news without actively looking for it. I didn't get to discuss CoD: Elite, or PC dedicated servers, or the removal of jump to prone. Only those who were actively participating in the thread got to discuss these news pieces. When the news is old, the people that are active in the thread have moved on and won't care to discuss old information.

People are making up all these hypothetical situations of tiny pieces of news being revealed at a time, but that's usually not the case. If there's some new news, it's usually within the context of a bigger story: an interview, a series of posts by a developer, etc... If there's a regular stream of small bits of relatively unimportant news at a time (Steam threads), or if the thread is small (Overgrowth weekly updates, Snowblind Q&A for War in The North), then I can see an exception being made. Otherwise, I think new news deserves a new thread.

If there's a new interview with detail about MW3, post the interview.

TheExodu5 said:
Yes, it's updated, and the OP did a good job. The issue here is that I'm not exposed to the news without actively looking for it. I didn't get to discuss CoD: Elite, or PC dedicated servers, or the removal of jump to prone. Only those who were actively participating in the thread got to discuss these news pieces.
well I'd hardly call everything laid out in a simple format in the first post "actively looking" for the information. And nothing stops you from discussing it, it's not like the OTs have a topic of the day we must discuss. If someone has something to say they can go into the OT and say it and people will comment on it more often than not.

Maybe that's just how I see it.

Derrick01

Banned
I like how the system is now really. Like it was said Community is where threads go to die and I don't think creating a new tab would fix anything, most people would still go to news.

TheExodu5

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
well I'd hardly call everything laid out in a simple format in the first post "actively looking" for the information. And nothing stops you from discussing it, it's not like the OTs have a topic of the day we must discuss. If someone has something to say they can go into the OT and say it and people will comment on it more often than not.

Maybe that's just how I see it.

It means I have to actually go in the thread and look to see what's new. Most of the time, I'm refreshing Gaming Discussion and looking for anything new or interesting. I don't venture in a half dozen megathreads to see if there have been any updates. I would expect that's the case for most people.

Creating threads for news pieces exposes the news to more viewers and fosters discussion.

Macca

TheExodu5 said:
It means I have to actually go in the thread and look to see what's new. Most of the time, I'm refreshing Gaming Discussion and looking for anything new or interesting. I don't venture in a half dozen megathreads to see if there have been any updates. I would expect that's the case for most people.

Creating threads for news pieces exposes the news to more viewers and fosters discussion.
Maybe for big games with both a lot of small pieces of news and lots of replies to that we could have say biweekly update threads?

If information and posts were confined to the thread of when the info came out it would be a lot easier to find discussion on individual features.

TheExodu5

Banned
Macca007 said:
Maybe for big games with both a lot of small pieces of news and lots of replies to that we could have say biweekly update threads?

If information and posts were confined to the thread of when the info came out it would be a lot easier to find discussion on individual features.

It's a pretty subjective call, really. In the end, I just think news megathreads should be discouraged. I don't think news megathreads do anyone good. Megathreads have the advantage of putting all the information in one place, however this is at the cost of discussion, which I think is detrimental to a gaming discussion forum.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't think we need another forum, nor do we need to remove OT threads from this one.

I do think that people need to stop getting worked up over the slightest annoyances like occasionally having to click the 2nd page button or subscription button to see the threads they want to see.

I think what bothers me more than OTs cluttering up the first page is that people insist on bumping old threads with news. It's like they think bigger threads sell more copies of the game or they think their thread is a failure if it doesn't get to 10 pages. Threads aren't marketing or popularity contests.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Htown said:
I don't think we need another forum, nor do we need to remove OT threads from this one.

I do think that people need to stop getting worked up over the slightest annoyances like occasionally having to click the 2nd page button or subscription button to see the threads they want to see.
I don't think we need another forum either, but threads already are being removed from this one. :p

Macca

TheExodu5 said:
It's a pretty subjective call, really. In the end, I just think news megathreads should be discouraged. I don't think news megathreads do anyone good. Megathreads have the advantage of putting all the information in one place, however this is at the cost of discussion, which I think is detrimental to a gaming discussion forum.
Depends on the amount of posts said megathread recieves. If its only getting 10 posts a week then I feel its fine. However if its getting 500 it pretty much becomes impossible to find discussion about anything other than the latest info.

Only really popular games would require periodic update threads and only if lots of new information is released.

Aeana

TheExodu5 said:
Yes, precisely. Megathreads are not good for widespread discussion, but are good for post dumping and forming insular communities. There are reasons to have both, but news does not belong in megathreads. Many people just don't want to wade through the other stuff to find the news.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sticky the popular OTs for 1-2 months after release, once it dies down, unsticky them. Community forum should be eliminated.

web01 said:
If you had community, gaming and an official thread section that is starting to get a bit complicated. And moving every OT to commnity punishes lurkers.
Exactly. GAF is good the way it is--very clean, not very fragmented.

Aeana

SatelliteOfLove said:
Only for OTs that have a strong matchmaking and community bent, like it is now. So, status quo.

It's no longer the World of Warcraft OT Forum. Shit gets traffic.
The status quo is changing, which is why this thread was made. Dark Souls is a single player game with some auxiliary online elements, but its thread will be moved.

Top Bottom