• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Aquaman be Polynesian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they actually say that the character is Polynesian?

I mean, they could just make it so that Atlanteans or wherever he comes from have Polynesian skin color and features, but are not actually Polynesian.

Atlantis isn't real or THAT ingrained in our minds so they can just make that change...easily.
Some historians in the 50's and 60's argued that Antarctica was actually Atlantis. Some accounts, it can be perceived as South America, due to shape, and Plato's mention of it being high above sea level. There's also the matter of most theories place it in the Mediterranean, of which DC's Atlantis differs so there's no real barrier about changing DC's Atlantis origins.

But the trend was bigger because of the backlash against the racists iirc.

I mean that doesn't disprove that there was a backlash against a black stormtrooper. Even threads on here had some very questionable posts in them. It was a very big deal when the first teaser trailer hit that Finn was not white.

Wasn't it trending because most people were responding negatively towards the idea behind it? There was even a discussion here about it, that the only thing most people were saying on FB and the like was how stupid the boycott was.

and there was a backlash at the time of the initial teaser trailer that Finn wasn't white and was a stormtrooper.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
But nothing really to write home about. People complained about Batman being the JLA, but he brings more to the party than Aquaman.

That lingering betrayal and paranoia

I am against racebending characters because one there is usually a equalivant minority character with their own story they could use, and 2 it says "We can't make him straight up ethnic, we will just paint the white person so we can get the credit".

God willing Black Panther comes out and does gangbusters. So we can nix this none sense.

This is the hill ive always sat on.

I mean that doesn't disprove that there was a backlash against a black stormtrooper. Even threads on here had some very questionable posts in them. It was a very big deal when the first teaser trailer hit that Finn was not white.

and there was a backlash at the time of the initial teaser trailer that Finn wasn't white and was a stormtrooper.

Yeah, that's true I also remember that.

I'm not saying there was no negativity, but in my opinion, there was no real backlash. There was negativity from some sure, but it was incredibly minor.

The worst thing I ever read about Aquaman was in JUSTICE where
he gets lobotomized by Brainiac but manages to regrow his fucking brain.
I was like what is this shit? It was bad enough having to stomach through Alex Ross's terrible art.

Wasn't the reasoning that some fish are able to do that? lol

I am against racebending characters because one there is usually a equalivant minority character with their own story they could use, and 2 it says "We can't make him straight up ethnic, we will just paint the white person so we can get the credit".

God willing Black Panther comes out and does gangbusters. So we can nix this none sense.

As long as they make him look good in Civil War, which it looks like they are doing, and behind the Marvel machine, I think his standalone movie has a good shot of doing really well.

Logically if Atlantis was real (and really in the Atlantic ocean and not in the Mediterranean ), it would be off the coast of Africa, so they would be closer to Africans.

Huh? That would depend entirely on where in the Atlantic it was. The Flashpoint Paradox map that DC released had Atlantis north of the mouth of the med. It's irrelevant anyway since they have tech/magic to go wherever they want, they would have had trade and pop exchange with Europe and NA when they had their empire.

I'm like 90% sure I've seen black Atlanteans in some of the cartoons or something. Slay can you confirm?

Johndoey

Banned
I feel like his culture won't be important in the movie. Which is kinda unfortunate but I really don't see them drawing on it.

Huh? That would depend entirely on where in the Atlantic it was. The Flashpoint Paradox map that DC released had Atlantis north of the mouth of the med. It's irrelevant anyway since they have tech/magic to go wherever they want, they would have had trade and pop exchange with Europe and NA when they had their empire.

I'm like 90% sure I've seen black Atlanteans in some of the cartoons or something. Slay can you confirm?
I can confirm black Atlanteans. Or at least darker.

Slayven

Kaldur had the Adam X orign special. Fetus experimented on by aliens. Atlantians come in pretty much white, blue, and greenish.

A few years ago DC sunk San Diego and called it Sub Diego(always brings a smile to my face), and they got a lot more diverse because the population gained the ability to breath water.

Not really, just that if shit hits the fan that hes not gonna fuck over the people that he considers friends at the drop of a hat

What if they amaglamized Batman and Ironman, how many people could that guy fuck over?

Parallax

What if they amaglamized Batman and Ironman, how many people could that guy fuck over?

More like who wouldnt bruce stark fuck over? Guaranteed he would bleed into our dimension and find a way to fuck us over too.

Oh sorry, I was talking about actual mythical Atlantis and not DC Atlantis, I was kinda coming at the angle of DCCC (DDCU??) changing the location of DC Atlantis.

Edit: JEEEEZUS I cannot read. I would assume if Atlantis was real it would be south of the Pillars of Hercules, as there is more landmass to guide sailors when you go south of the mouth of the Med and we can run across island groups like the Canaries or the Madeira's. I'm talking bollocks really, logically was the wrong word but it being south of the Med makes sense to me. That all depends on if it's even in the Atlantic ocean and not in the Mediterranean

braves01

Banned
Slightly off topic, but given we're talking about Atlantis, what tech level is/was the city at in the comics? Were they using teleporters and stuff down there?

z2BkPXH.png

Slayven

Slightly off topic, but given we're talking about Atlantis, what tech level is/was the city at in the comics? Were they using teleporters and stuff down there?

They usually shown more advanced than the surface world, but they also use a lot of magic.

I don't care, he's Atlantean.

What I do care about is that he be the Peter David Aquaman in the movies, which it seems he is. Hope that pushes back into the comics as these things often do

Hope he (PAD aquaman run spoilers)
loses his hand, replaces it with a hook and finds out he has water elemental heritage.

PAD Aquaman was also the one that found out Namor has a wicked-witch style weakness of large objects being dropped on him. Dude's a genius

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While I know Hook Aquaman was a shining figure due to JL cartoon, wasn't he in the comics a 90's product who was well... 90's?

Yup, I agree with this.

bengraven

It makes sense to cast a Polynesian in the role of a character with such strong ties to the sea

This is basically all you had to add to make me okay with it.

Maybe they'd be better if he looked less like something that crawled from the abyss and more like:

98da7478af396f4f6d17b9f517365834.jpg

Surf's up, Aquaman, gnarly waves!

While I know Hook Aquaman was a shining figure due to JL cartoon, wasn't he in the comics a 90's product who was well... 90's?

He was basically like he was in the JL cartoon, but with added sarcasm. But it was the first time he'd ever seemed like a legit Leaguer with character and not just a joke. Which isn't surprising given the two people who wrote for him the most were Peter David and Grant Morrison.

plus he had the hots for WW and once accidentally let her know while holding onto her lasso

Parallax

He was basically like he was in the JL cartoon, but with added sarcasm. But it was the first time he'd ever seemed like a legit Leaguer with character and not just a joke. Which isn't surprising given the two people who wrote for him the most were Peter David and Grant Morrison.

plus he had the hots for WW and once accidentally let her know while holding onto her lasso

You lost me with this one. Joke in what way?

Parallax

In my opinion Aquaman has only had 2 good costumes
in-depth-analysis-of-aquaman-s-costume-reveals-interesting-details-6f09da9b-7397-4d30-bdd6-0dc511c197d7-jpeg-270437.jpg

The blue one and the green tights with the yellow rib accents.

I will never understand the love for that ugly wave costume. But i will agree he has some mostly ass costumes.

Parallax

It's more a case of least worst with Aquaman.

dude has never had a GOOD costume or look. Not everyone can be Spiderman or Batman

In which case his iconic look is the best way to go. Spider man is amazing to me because he really hasnt had any terrible designs. Even the joke bag man costume is built on traditional f4 costume. But most of arthurs costumes are hot ass.

Slayven

That blue suit was so 80s.

They should have given him a Simon Le Bon haircut to go with it.

80s were a special time

Black Canary
BLACK_CANARY_karate_042611.jpg

Zatanna

Zatanna-70s.jpg

In which case his iconic look is the best way to go. Spider man is amazing to me because he really hasnt had any terrible designs. Even the joke bag man costume is built on traditional f4 costume. But most of arthurs costumes are hot ass.
Even at his most busted Spiderman is styling over 99 percent of other comic characters

I've got admit though, I do like the final Atlantean gladiator look with the shoulder armour.

I guess I'm just a sucker for that style, I loved it on Trident from Eternal Champions too

Ocean Master should totally steal the one with the chain, it'll stop him from getting headaches

Parallax

That blue suit was so 80s.

They should have given him a Simon Le Bon haircut to go with it.

They kept giving him "reimaginings" and then killing them. The blue one was one from memory

Half of that is inline with the reboots. And public opinion still kills him, despite the many good stories that involve him

They need to stick with something long enough for it to stay in the public consciousness and replace all the tired jokes.

Current one is OK (better then the Y1 mumbler at least), but I assume they'll be changing him if the film proves successful.

Parallax

They need to stick with something long enough for it to stay in the public consciousness and replace all the tired jokes.

Current one is OK (better then the Y1 mumbler at least), but I assume they'll be changing him if the film proves successful.

As much as i like the character, the damage has been done. The brave and the bold swashbuckling adventurer tried to save him, but he still gets drug down by his super friends variant. Doesnt help that noone really wants to look deeper into the character.

Nesotenso

preach.

that and I hate when they make changes to the source material that can be easily avoided.

As much as i like the character, the damage has been done. The brave and the bold swashbuckling adventurer tried to save him, but he still gets drug down by his super friends variant. Doesnt help that noone really wants to look deeper into the character.

B&B was so good. Rousing Song of Heroism is one of the greatest things ever

That's how super heroes roll!

It made sense for the gladiator look.

Johndoey

Banned
It's the Pym syndrome man you can't fight it.

He eats people, his perspective is suspect.
DC seems to have forgotten most of the crossover, not as fast as they forgot about Genesis.

I think the idea of the Godwave perpetuated for a while, though it weirdly existed side by side with Sandman/Lucifer which had Yahweh outside of it all and made canon by that starro crossover with Daniel and a couple of JLA'ers in sandman.

DC have pressed the reset button a few times since then though. No idea if Yahweh is even still The Presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom