• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should every game have an easy mode?

Rykan

Plenty of people who run the marathon just for fun and never finish. Yes you can run outside of a marathon, but you cannot recreate an experience like many marathons. In any case, this is just one example to allow you to imagine others. Ninja Warrior, climbing the K2, shall we just install a lift to the top there to make it more accessible to people? :messenger_tears_of_joy: There are also puzzles sold that are incredibly difficult, do you think these have an easy mode or should have one? No, because some things are created for the challenge and the rewarding feeling you get for finishing it.
All of your analogies are utterly absurd. Saying that plenty of people who run the marathon for fun doesn't change anything about the fact that the marathon itself is nothing more than a challenge vehicle for an activity that you can perform on your own at any time and at your own leisure. On top of that, there are plenty of other marathons with varying lengths and distances that you can join. And No, another Marathon does not compare to a different game because playing a different game is a completely different activity whereas running a different marathon is still the exact same activity: Running.

Puzzles is yet another bad example. The reasons why puzzle have one set difficulty is because a lower difficulty would require a different puzzle all together. Which is exactly why puzzles are one of the difficulty aspects in games that you generally cannot change. None of that applies to soulsgames because the difficulty comes almost exclusively from combat, which is literally the easiest thing to adjust.
News flash, humans are competetive beings, bragging rights are important. The fact that you may not be competetive at all may just be your thing. :)
And here is the core of the issue: You want to deny people a really great gaming experience that would not impact or hinders yours in the slightest, just so that you can have some internet "Bragging rights". Beating Dark Souls hardly qualifies as bragging rights. Nobody is impressed by it. I'm actually very competitive, which is why I mostly play competitive games. Beating an AI game that was specifically designed to be beaten is not competitive.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All of your analogies are utterly absurd. Saying that plenty of people who run the marathon for fun doesn't change anything about the fact that the marathon itself is nothing more than a challenge vehicle for an activity that you can perform on your own at any time and at your own leisure. On top of that, there are plenty of other marathons with varying lengths and distances that you can join. And No, another Marathon does not compare to a different game because playing a different game is a completely different activity whereas running a different marathon is still the exact same activity: Running.

Puzzles is yet another bad example. The reasons why puzzle have one set difficulty is because a lower difficulty would require a different puzzle all together. None of that applies to video games.

And here is the core of the issue: You want to deny people a really great gaming experience that would not impact or hinders yours in the slightest, just so that you can have some internet "Bragging rights". Beating Dark Souls hardly qualifies as bragging rights. Nobody is impressed by it. I'm actually very competitive, which is why I mostly play competitive games. Beating an AI game that was specifically designed to be beaten is not competitive nor impressive.
I can understand people bragging with awesome cars and houses to show they are successful and got money.

I can also understand let’s say an MMA fighter bragging he won a belt beating up people.

But put this in perspective. Gamers bragging about beating a video game. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nope, developers decide. And if they don't want or care about people who require an easy mode in order to play then so be it.

Exclusion can be and is a part of life.
not like you were ever excluded from playing the game anyways
nothing's excluding you from just getting good and better at the game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
there are still plenty of casual games out there that are suitable for people who want to unwind and not have to think too much. Animal crossing, creative mode Minecraft, RDR2, etc. No one was asking you to play Elden Ring, no one was asking you to play Risk of Rain 2 either. It's up to you. If you see reviews of the game and see that it's hard you can either not play it, get over yourself and beat it, or just watch a youtube playthough if you're in it for the story

Last edited:

Rykan

there are still plenty of casual games out there that are suitable for people who want to unwind and not have to think too much. Animal crossing, creative mode Minecraft, RDR2, etc. No one was asking you to play Elden Ring, no one was asking you to play Risk of Rain 2 either. It's up to you. If you see reviews of the game and see that it's hard you can either not play it, get over yourself and beat it, or just look at a walkthrough
This is such a narcissistic way of looking at things. "Go play something else" is a weird argument when the only thing that's stopping people can easily be resolved by a completely optional easier difficulty mode. FromSoft games have so many interesting and cool things to offer besides their difficulty. Why would you deny that to people?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
FromSoft games have so many interesting and cool things to offer besides their difficulty.
go watch a youtube playthrough then
Or better yet just go search up one of those 'get op early' videos on youtube. Those videos are effective and by the end you'll be so overpowered that everything that stands up to you immediately gets pwned
you can use summons too, look up guides if you're so inclined
if anything i'm willing to bet most of the people who beat ER on this board have used at least one of those 3 options more than once (myself included)

the only game where you're genuinely outright gatekept from beating the game if you aren't good enough is sekiro.

Last edited:
Devs should release what they want to release. If you don't like it because it's too hard don't buy their game. It's not like it's impossible to become better at a hard game, people just have no patience anymore and want to be good at something right away even if the criteria for being good is reduced to mashing buttons.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But it would be better that they would. There are a lot of gamers that bought a game but they cant play it cous its to difficult for them, and they sell it.
When developers made a mode that even casuals can play theyr game till the end and having a great time with it, that would mean that more gamers would buy they're game, and play it.
So a mode for the "noobs" gamers and a mode for the "normal" gamers and a mode for the "diehard" difficult gamers. Good for the sales of the game for developers and good for all gamers.
Then the game is not for them, I personally don’t like online gaming that means MMO games is not for me.

The fact is not every game is for everyone but thankfully we have 1000 up on 1000 games for every type of gamers.

At least 3 levels of difficulty, but preferably 5. Not everyone has same good reflexesses or can use button combos in action games with same precision.

I would also like to be able to choose level of RNG.

The Miyamoto had that one statement many quote, which I find silly because he choose not to have difficulty options, but rather make way to easy games.

GametimeUK

For those who don't think every game should have an easy mode, are you also against modders who mod difficult games to become easy to play?

I think robust difficulty options such as Infinite health toggles and cheat menus etc should exist in every "single player" game for sure. How somebody else enjoys their game has 0 impact on me. If it helps more people enjoy games I'm all for it. I dread to think of a day where my motor skills go to shit and I'm unable to finish games.

Boneless

You can still do that if the game has difficulty options. Just tell people you didn’t beat the game on easy mode.

That takes away from the value of the achievement. Think about have another Nobel prize with lower standards, a simpler Ninja Warrior or whatever. :)

Also, if you do not perceive that, you may just be less ambitious or competetive, but please respect others that are.

The popularity of unforgiving / hard games or sports should make it clear there is a large market for having activities where you 'git gut' or get out (if you can't stand the heat......)

Last edited:

Boneless

This is such a narcissistic way of looking at things. "Go play something else" is a weird argument when the only thing that's stopping people can easily be resolved by a completely optional easier difficulty mode. FromSoft games have so many interesting and cool things to offer besides their difficulty. Why would you deny that to people?

You clearly know nothing about game development, which is OK. But creating difficulty levels properly is a significant effort, which takes away scarce resources that can be spent on other areas of the games' development.

Also, having an easy FromSoft game is pretty much a contradictio in terminis.

Ar¢tos

I'm imagining Blasphemous with an easy mode..... How fucking boring that game would be! It would become a basic platformer game with no joy in playing it, since you would complete it in 1h. Then people would complain about the price of the game because of how short it was.

Rykan

You clearly know nothing about game development, which is OK. But creating difficulty levels properly is a significant effort, which takes away scarce resources that can be spent on other areas of the games' development.

Also, having an easy FromSoft game is pretty much a contradictio in terminis.
I'd reckon that your knowledge about video game development rivals your talent of coming up with viable analogies, which is to say: None whatsoever.

Creating difficulty levels for combat focused video games is so easy in fact, that the vast majority of games include such a mode and this has been the case for literally decades. I do appreciate the shift from "It doesn't have difficulty mode because marathons/puzzles" to "It doesn't have difficulty modes because small indie developer with scarce resources =/"

Last edited:
For those who don't think every game should have an easy mode, are you also against modders who mod difficult games to become easy to play?

I think robust difficulty options such as Infinite health toggles and cheat menus etc should exist in every "single player" game for sure. How somebody else enjoys their game has 0 impact on me. If it helps more people enjoy games I'm all for it. I dread to think of a day where my motor skills go to shit and I'm unable to finish games.

Modders are adding those options in after the fact, not asking the developers to add an easy mode to their game. I have no issue with people altering the game as they see fit after the fact and I used Game Genie to play stupid-hard games as a kid just like everyone else. I've also added in hardcore survival modes into games like Fallout where one shot can kill, things like poison never fully go away and if you die at all your game is just finished. I don't think people need to bully developers into including modes and options they didn't plan on adding just because they don't want to take the time to learn how to play it well though. The option to not buy Elden Ring and instead play a game like Tinykin is always there for people (actually I enjoyed Tinykin despite the complete lack of challenge). If the dev wants to make a game so hard 90% of players won't even enjoy it, that's their choice, the game isn't meant for them.

Adding an easy mode isn't just a set of sliders in a properly developed game either. Devs need to spend more time properly implementing an easy mode which might not be how they want to budget that time. Enemy patterns, numbers of enemies, traversal, etc, all have to be looked at to cater to people that want to play the game while also simultaneously eating a sandwich and watching TV. Making the game brain-dead can hurt the gameplay overall. If you enable infinite health you can just stand there and spam an enemy for example, it detracts from all the work devs put into the balance of the gameplay in that battle. It reduces what might have been complicated but well-crafted gameplay meant to be learned and mastered to people simply button-mashing and getting the same result. Then those people go on to say the game wasn't that great. The world is full of things I don't like, I just don't buy or partake in them.

ironmang

Insisting that your game MUST BE experienced as a challenge for no reason is absurd. Offering a completely optional easier difficulty mode takes nothing away from the standard difficulty. The only reason it's not there is so people can brag and meme about it as free publicity. That's it. You're not actually defending a game, you're defending a marketing tactic.
Millions are happy to experience these games through twitch and youtube.

And tbh it's a marketing tactic worth defending (if that's what it is) if you enjoy these games because without it this genre might not exist. In addition to simply defending developers you like from being guilt tripped into deviating from their vision.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Yes they do. That is quite literally the purpose of a Marathon. The Marathon in itself isn't the activity. The actual activity is running. The Marathon is just the specific format or challenge that the activity takes place in. You can run for as much or as little as you want at any given time outside of the Marathon. None of that applies to video games because you can't play a souls game outside of souls game.

So far I rank this Analogy number 3 of bad analogies. It's slightly more ridiculous than "why don't you complain about movies/tv shows" but it's still behind "Imagine if I asked for an easier guitar",

Insisting that your game MUST BE experienced as a challenge for no reason is absurd. Offering a completely optional easier difficulty mode takes nothing away from the standard difficulty. The only reason it's not there is so people can brag and meme about it as free publicity. That's it. You're not actually defending a game, you're defending a marketing tactic.
Please do tell how you would implement an easy mode to Super Meat Boy without making the game boring or changing the game design.

Knightime_X

It's funny how arcade games were shit on for being quarter munchers, but souls games were heavily praised for having the exact same problem.
Sometimes its not about the difficulty, its about wanting to chill and play something you genuinely like.

Normal difficulty was always there, the balance is there.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night had 1 difficulty but I wish it had harder modes because the game was fun.

Same for games being too edgy, I wish they had an easier difficulty because i'm here to play games, not clock in to do a chore.

Last edited:

Rykan

Millions are happy to experience these games through twitch and youtube.

And tbh it's a marketing tactic worth defending (if that's what it is) if you enjoy these games because without it this genre might not exist. In addition to simply defending developers you like from being guilt tripped into deviating from their vision.
This is beyond absurd. You're unironically suggesting that people who aren't skilled enough should just watch a playthrough instead.

Please do tell how you would implement an easy mode to Super Meat Boy without making the game boring or changing the game design.
Good question! Super Meat boy is a platform game, and adding difficulty levels to platform games is incredibly difficult because the challenge comes mostly, if not entirely, from its level design and platforming. Having a different difficulty level would, in most cases, require complete redesign of levels or movesets of the character. There are some things you can play around with. You could add more checkpoints, or take the approach some other 2D platform games do. Like having Luigi as a helper in Super Mario Bros, or Funky Kong as a playable character in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. But by and large, adding difficulty levels to platform games is hard.

That's very different from combat focused games though. Those games are by far the easiest to add difficulty levels to and as a designer, you can really go as far as you want. You can have a very basic difficulty level slider by just reducing damage taken or/and increase damage dealt, or you can take it one step further and customize encounters to whatever you see fit. There's a lot of options to tweak difficulties here, which is why nearly every game that has a focus on combat does it.

No, because making games as accessible as possible from a design perspective leads to further restrictions. Have accessibility from a perspective of making it accessible to disabled people, but when I see people with no arms beat from games it’s not a matter of accessibility but how much you enjoy the intended experience. All games aren’t for me and I appreciate that. I hate when games try to be what the MCU does…trying to appeal to as many taste as possible. Ruins creativity. Focus tested to hell.

Boneless

Creating difficulty levels for combat focused video games is so easy in fact, that the vast majority of games include such a mode and this has been the case for literally decades. I do appreciate the shift from "It doesn't have difficulty mode because marathons/puzzles" to "It doesn't have difficulty modes because small indie developer with scarce resources =/"

Of course many games have difficulty levels, it's an industry standard and for game where difficulty is not part of the core formula it will likely be worth the resources to increase reach. Originally, this made FromSoft games more niche, but apparently a larger audience likes an unforgiving experience. I expect it would not have the same allure and fame if it would have had difficulty options.

ironmang

This is beyond absurd. You're unironically suggesting that people who aren't skilled enough should just watch a playthrough instead.
Sounds like everything is "absurd" to you.

As I said, millions of people enjoy games that way. I see nothing wrong with it.

GametimeUK

If you enable infinite health you can just stand there and spam an enemy for example, it detracts from all the work devs put into the balance of the gameplay in that battle.

So fucking what? Does it bother you that some people may want infinite health? I grew up in an era where cheat codes were massively popular and we could enable all kinds of stupid modifiers.

I'm not saying all developers need to add these things or be expected to add them, but I'm just saying the game loses nothing by adding these things for those who want to use them.

Devs can do what they want, but the more a player can customise their gaming experience the better.

Knightime_X

Then play those games that has difficulty setting, we have 1000 of them but it doesn't mean every game needs to be like that.
But what if you want to play that specific game?
My wife was seriously interested in Elden Ring but absolutely hated how extreme the challenge was.

Sometimes you simply have to make your own difficulty settings or use a trainer.
And force it.

Last edited:

Rykan

Of course many games have difficulty levels, it's an industry standard and for game where difficulty is not part of the core formula it will likely be worth the resources to increase reach. Originally, this made FromSoft games more niche, but apparently a larger audience likes an unforgiving experience. I expect it would not have the same allure and fame if it would have had difficulty options.
So then call it what it is: Marketing.
That's all it is. It's not some grand "designer philosophy". You're arguing against more option for the sake of a marketing campaign. A marketing campaign that, quite frankly, has run its course. These games are big hits now. They are exceptionally well made games with Elden Ring probably being one of the best game to come out in years. It's time to stop gatekeeping these excellent games behind some mandatory difficulty skill check, when there really isn't some practical reason for it.

Sounds like everything is "absurd" to you.

As I said, millions of people enjoy games that way. I see nothing wrong with it.
It's just the people arguing against having MORE options that tend to have absurd arguments and I'd reckon that "Well people who think the games are too difficult are content with just watching it on youtube and Twitch" is probably the most absurd one yet. Watching streams and playing are two entirely different things.

Last edited:

ungalo

I grew up in an era where cheat codes were massively popular and we could enable all kinds of stupid modifiers.
Every game didn't have cheat codes, and all cheat codes didn't consist in breaking the game.

Some dev don't want you to break the game and that's even more true in the internet era.

If having difficulty settings is something that easy (and i also think that it's very easy to do) and that it doesn't have any consequences, every studio would do it, litterally. So it's obvious they don't share your thoughts on the matter, i'm not saying they're right or wrong but it's obvious they have an "integral" approach of what a game is. Again it's particularly true now that a game is perceived through people streaming it and all that.

And we're taking examples with difficult games, but that would be exactly the same thing for Nintendo that make games that are not very hard. They would never let you tweak everything to make yourself a totally customizable experience (unless that's the point like Mario Maker).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But what if you want to play that specific game?
My wife was seriously interested in Elden Ring but absolutely hated how extreme the challenge was.

Sometimes you simply have to make your own difficulty settings or use a trainer.
And force it.
If you have PC mod you can do however you want but you cant just force devs try to appeal to everyone because most of the time the game suffers as result.

There are games I just cant play because I dont like online gaming and I dont want to pay for subscriptions, so MMOs just not for someone like me and thats just life.

Not everything appeals to everybody.

Last edited:

ironmang

It's just the people arguing against having MORE options that tend to have absurd arguments and I'd reckon that "Well people who think the games are too difficult are content with just watching it on youtube and Twitch" is probably the most absurd one yet. Watching streams and playing are two entirely different things.
Watching it is barely different than the easy mode that people like you desperately want added. Another option would be to ask for advice on threads like better builds or how to beat bosses but that's probably absurd too.

I'm not so much "arguing against MORE options" as I am arguing for devs to make a game the way they want it to be played without being guilt tripped into changing it.

Last edited:

Boneless

So then call it what it is: Marketing.
That's all it is. It's not some grand "designer philosophy". You're arguing against more option for the sake of a marketing campaign. A marketing campaign that, quite frankly, has run its course. These games are big hits now. They are exceptionally well made games with Elden Ring probably being one of the best game to come out in years. It's time to stop gatekeeping these excellent games behind some mandatory difficulty skill check, when there really isn't some practical reason for it.

You stopped making any sense now.... The difficulty is part of the games' DNA, it's the director's intent that this is the experience a group of users want and clearly he was right. :)

GametimeUK

Some dev don't want you to break the game and that's even more true in the internet era.

I find it so crazy that you care so much about what the devs want, but don't condemn mods that break games.

And I'm reiterating here incase you didn't understand what I'm saying. A developer can make a game however they want and balance the game however they please... I'm just saying there is 0 downside to giving a player full customisation options for the game they're playing and i wouldnt mind seeing it in every game. More options = a better product for the end user.

If you think difficulty mods that add infinite health on a single player is fine, then surely it is fine if the developer just added it in the first place. The end result is the same.

ironmang

I find it so crazy that you care so much about what the devs want, but don't condemn mods that break games.

And I'm reiterating here incase you didn't understand what I'm saying. A developer can make a game however they want and balance the game however they please... I'm just saying there is 0 downside to giving a player full customisation options for the game they're playing and i wouldnt mind seeing it in every game. More options = a better product for the end user.

If you think difficulty mods that add infinite health on a single player is fine, then surely it is fine if the developer just added it in the first place. The end result is the same.

The difference is the modder isn't being pressured into adding those features and the dev got to ship the game with it's intended vision.

ungalo

I surely won't start a fight over difficulty settings or mods or whatever. If From Software announce they're adding an easy mode in their next game i won't say anything about it.

I'm just saying, we can't call a game hard if it's not, and the opposite is also true, every option available (in the normal state of the game so excluding mods) is a part of what the game is. You add an option to trivialise the progression, you make a two speed experience, the "end result" can be the same for a player (it's actually impossible to know if they would balance the game in the same way depending on the number of options but let's assume it's the case), it's just not the same game overall. As long as we agree on that, you can say "so what ?".

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeah I said this:

But maybe it would work if more people would dare to try a game. Let’s say if Returnal would’ve sold 5 million instead of 1 million.
And some, or even most, would probably not bother asking for a refund.
I saw what you wrote, but you can't assume that lack of easy mode is why people don't play more of their games.

People get bored, don't have time, etc. Etc.

Whatever the case, for a number of reasons your refund on unplayed portion of games isn't worth really discussing further, unfortunately.

If people want videogames to be taken seriously as art - which many gamers claim they are - then the idea that they should appeal to as many people as possible needs to be ditched.

This whole accessibility thing everybody is suddenly talking about is so fucking stupid. You don't stop using green and red colours in paintings because some people are colourblind.

Inclusivity is the antithesis to art.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

The difference is the modder isn't being pressured into adding those features and the dev got to ship the game with it's intended vision.

With all due respect my argument has 0 to do with devs being pressured into anything. My statement is "there is 0 downside to giving a player full customisation options for the game they're playing and i wouldnt mind seeing it in every game". I also said "the end result is the same" if a modder decided to add a feature like Infinite HP or if the Developer added it.

Now you can either tell me which parts of my premise you disagree or agree with or you can continuing bolding a sentence from my paragraph and responding with something that doesn't even counter the point you bolded.

To make it easier I should probably just ask you the questions.

1. Do you think there is a downside to the end user having more options in their games such as cheats that include invincibility?

2. If a modder adds Infinite hp to a game is the end result any different to if a developer included it in the first place?

Sekiro is actually a great example for this. Like a lotta people, I'm a From Fanatic, I fuckin love their shit. I'm also an old fogey and a mediocre (at best) gamer, but that didn't stop me from beating all the Soulsbournes +dlc.

Then there was Sekiro. I liked that game a lot, but I hit the wall probably around halfway through and it became glaringly apparent that I wasn't gonna be able to beat it. Thankfully, I had bought it on pc, which is rare for me. So I looked up a cheat editor for it, adjusted some values, and I was able to experience the rest of the game. Even WITH the cheats I still died a ton.

I dunno. I definitely think a dev has a right to see their vision fulfilled, but I really don't think having a "cheat" menu where you can adjust values and such in any way compromises that vision. Shit, have cheat mode disable trophs, I could give two shits about those stupid things. If there was a way to disable them at the system level I would.

Lasha

I think Crusader Kings provides a good template for difficulty. One is free to edit the game and play in any way they wish. Only games played in iron man mode with restricted custom characters count for achievements. Less skilled players can save scum while learning the game. Experienced players have a fixed mode to challenge themselves and showcase their achievements. More games should emulate this model by locking achievements behind the "intended" difficulty.

Rykan

You stopped making any sense now.... The difficulty is part of the games' DNA, it's the director's intent that this is the experience a group of users want and clearly he was right. :)
When you talk about difficulty, what you're actually talking about is the lack of an optional "easy mode". The regular difficulty itself remains unchanged. FromSoft games not having easier difficulty isn't because of the director intent, it's because the games are marketed to go viral as "Difficult games". A marketing tactic that worked brilliantly.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I think Crusader Kings provides a good template for difficulty. One is free to edit the game and play in any way they wish. Only games played in iron man mode with restricted custom characters count for achievements. Less skilled players can save scum while learning the game. Experienced players have a fixed mode to challenge themselves and showcase their achievements. More games should emulate this model by locking achievements behind the "intended" difficulty.
Yeah, Stellaris works the same way. Achievements are available only in ironman mode. It’s a fantastic model, attaching achievement to the intended gameplay experience.

tibia

Neo Member
A gameshark mode with options is best.

Having infinite health and items and weapons could get me to run through games i dont want to or have time/energy to learn, like Resident Evil and Deadspace. I did this as a kid in the 90s. Funny enough, once I did beat a game using gameshark I usually felt informed enough about the game to play it without cheats. It was fun to experiment with cheats.

Otoh, ive platinum'ed all souls games (except Sekiro) without cheats and do realize the initial challenging experience is the point. But then again, who cares how Timmy wants to play it? I wouldnt want some old dude telling me how to play my games in the 90s.

Being a clear cheater might also eliminate the silly debates (about balance, accomplishments). Bring it back.

-Zelda-

Banned
IMO, it would be nice, yes. I have to accept the fact that it is not going to happen, though. Like Soulsborne games. People who are fans of that series from the begining want those games to be a struggle and that is never going to change. The amount of chaos that would erupt online if From ever made an actual souls game with a seperate difficulty for people who want it to be more leisurely would be pure chaos on top of what the internet already is in general.

Would I go back to it if it had a seperate mode? Yes, but it will never happen.

Top Bottom