• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a Steam Deck....

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
40fps is fine. New big AAA releases will definitely have a hard time hitting 60 but with Vulkan drivers (opt in for beta firmware on your deck) some beautiful games are running at 60.

It's an amazing device.

What the actual ....you've made me so hyped! Now I regret not buying the resi collection on humble bundle. Resi 8 at 60fps....I'm blown away. This thing is crazy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Guys don't be offended over the toy comment. Ps5, xbox, switch, PC they are all grown man toys lol.

Seems like an amazing toy to me.

Appreciate all the help, trying to hold out on getting a memory card until prime day or BF. the Samsung evo u3 a2 card looks good. 512gb should be enough for 1tb total.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's the best device I've bought in a long time. Personally I love it. Setting up emulators is literally a 5 min job with EmuDeck and it runs them like an absolute beast. If you already have a large Steam library I would say it's a no brainer. And yes God of War runs nice at 30 fps. You can also do system level 40 fps with VRR that runs great.
In my household we have no more PC’s, and out of our Mac’s there is only one remaining Mac we have that could even have Windows installed on (the Intel x86 Windows) and an iMac is not a computer for the TV hehe… the rest is game consoles. A dockable Steam Deck gets me back in the PC ecosystem in a user friendly way and I can also game on the go with it if I want to.

A new OLED and RDNA3 based edition will come, but so far this is a great unit with a great and flexible controls setup (I really like that it has the DPad, Analog Sticks, and the Touch Pads too). AMD has struck gold with gaming ready portable SoC’s: I would have never imagined a x86 gaming friendly SoC in portables… Steam Deck is not even a single fluke for AMD, 6800U is even better, and chances are that the Ryzen 4+RDNA3 portable SoC will be a great jump in batter and performance.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
40fps is fine. New big AAA releases will definitely have a hard time hitting 60 but with Vulkan drivers (opt in for beta firmware on your deck) some beautiful games are running at 60.

It's an amazing device.

What are the sacrifices they made to get 60 FPS there? Same features and resolution but a bug FPS bump?

I was unsure if I should get one despite preordering. A dude at work brought his in and I saw some stuff running, like New Vegas, etc, and I decided to give it a go.
Couldn't be happier. It's a tremendous device. Emulators are easy to set up and work excellent, the physical hardware is excellent. What's most surprising, to me, is the amount of user experience work that went into it. I assumed this would be a nerd/engineer first device. What was really smart is the device is set up in a way where the experience is seamless like a console, but if you want, you can start fiddling and tweaking to your heart's content, all the way down to hitting the command line if you want.
I have a bunch of oldschool games on there like Wing Commander, Heroes of MIght and Magic 2, Might and Magic 3, I have ScummVM with everything. Currently playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Mafia: Definitive Edition, both locked at 30 with mostly really high settings, and it's just been glorious.
Battery life could be better, OLED would be better, but it's sick, and if a Deck 2 drops in 2 years - I don't want one sooner than that, that'd kind of piss me off if it was sooner - I'll be in as well.

Ezquimacore

Banned
After a few weeks my steam deck is collecting dust because I have a powerful PC and a comfy chair so I end up playing there for the best experience. But the hardware itself is worth it in my opinion.

After a few weeks my steam deck is collecting dust because I have a powerful PC and a comfy chair so I end up playing there for the best experience. But the hardware itself is worth it in my opinion.
That's the catch. If you must have the desktop experience, best graphics, and you're okay sitting in an office or not having portability, that's great, and the steam deck will collect dust.
If you're like me, with a family, and you hate being in your office because you work on a computer all day, it's a godsend.

For me it’s the opposite.

Since the deck arrived I haven’t turned on my PS5 or gaming rig. Three months later, my enthusiasm remains sky high.
That's me, too. Love it deeply. Smashing my backlog.
Finished Max Payne 1, Gemini Rue, and working my way through Doom 2016 and Like a Dragon atm. So good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Mine is coming today, in the next hour. Anything you want to know?

How excited are you? :D I'd be buzzing...haha

Has everyone bought micro sd cards? I'm trying to hold out for BF but I'm feeling the itch to buy shiny new things.

I've bought a spigen case and glass screen protectors.

Cant think of anything else.

Interfectum

Yes you should buy it. It's a game changer. If you weren't already you'll definitely gravitate towards PC and Steam games more than other platforms due to your world of options opening. Indie games on Steam Deck with achievements (lol Nintendo), AAA games on Steam Deck that can carry over via cloud save to your main rig, emulation, etc. Honestly if you have a gaming PC, Steam Deck eliminates the need for a Switch completely and pretty much negates both consoles if you can wait on Sony's PC ports.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It's a cool device but for me since it didn't work out of the box with destiny (the only game I play every day) and the extremely high resell value at the time, I sold mine for a laptop.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I canceled my order for money reasons. I really wanted one, but I was short on cash sadly ;-; maybe next time

dezzy8

It’s definitely worth a buy if you have a huge backlog. It’s surprisingly comfortable to hold and light as heck. I haven’t tried any emulation on it though.

You seem purposefully trying to offend. That's called trolling. Stop being annoying.
To be clear I never said I didn’t own one. From what I’ve experienced it’s usually not anyone’s go-to gaming platform and is more of a novelty item, i.e. a toy.

Didn’t mean to be inflammatory. That’s just how I see handhelds.

To be clear I never said I didn’t own one. From what I’ve experienced it’s usually not anyone’s go-to gaming platform and is more of a novelty item, i.e. a toy.

Didn’t mean to be inflammatory. That’s just how I see handhelds.
That's fine. But it came across to me like you wanted that toy comment to upset people, more than to give an actual opinion or assessment.

You can consider it a toy. But it's no more or less a toy than a PS5, Series X or a $4000 gaming PC.

Last edited:
That's fine. But it came across to me like you wanted that toy comment to upset people, more than to give an actual opinion or assessment.

You can consider it a toy. But it's no more or less a toy than a PS5, Series X or a $4000 gaming PC.
Yeah I reread it and understand the conflict with my post. Didn’t realize I went so hard with calling it a toy. It’s very much a premium device and people do mainline handhelds. It was an dumb point for me to hone in on.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
How excited are you? :D I'd be buzzing...haha

Has everyone bought micro sd cards? I'm trying to hold out for BF but I'm feeling the itch to buy shiny new things.

I've bought a spigen case and glass screen protectors.

Cant think of anything else.
Yeah was annoyed because the delivery went back to at parcel centre, but then I got a text saying it was coming. Calmed down after that.

It's lighter than I thought it would be. The logo on the screen is shit after an update. Wasn't clear if it had finished or anything which led to me rebooting. So basically leave it 10-15mins on the screen. It is doing something!

V6YWGvs.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah was annoyed because the delivery went back to at parcel centre, but then I got a text saying it was coming. Calmed down after that.

It's lighter than I thought it would be. The logo on the screen is shit after an update. Wasn't clear if it had finished or anything which led to me rebooting. So basically leave it 10-15mins on the screen. It is doing something!

V6YWGvs.jpg

I hear the only complaint is the screen really....which is pretty important. How is it?

Packaging looks hype!

Last edited:

Filben

Yeah I reread it and understand the conflict with my post. Didn’t realize I went so hard with calling it a toy. It’s very much a premium device and people do mainline handhelds. It was an dumb point for me to hone in on.
Why, this is a rare sight on an internet forum, much to the point I don't know if you're being sarcastic or sincere, lol. Fucking internet.

Me, hadn't anything to do with that discussion but read it, I'm actually surprised someone reflect on things they said instead of doubling down on it.

👍🏻

Filben

I hear the only complaint is the screen really....which is pretty important. How is it?

Packaging looks hype!
It's "only" an IPS screen with poor sRGB coverage (some colours aren't accurately saturated and don't pop as much as they should, e.g. the green on the "play" and "install" buttons really show a rather flat, "swampy" green instead of lush, leaf like green). In normal use, playing games, it shouldn't be that noticeable without back to back comparisons, though

Viewing angles are good, though, maximum brightness is average and hence just a bit too low for outside gaming on ultra sunny days, but then again you probably won't go to the beach on a cloudless day to play on a handheld. On that matter, reflections are pretty bad, too, except for the most expensive option.

So yeah, that's where they saved some money.

Ozriel

M$FT
I never tried it but judging by the videos I see on YouTube of games running on it, it's not worth it.
Maybe it is a good emulation system but I don't know about the newer games, it feels lacking.

What? It’s crazy worth it. You’re playing these games in the palm of your hands.
Of course you’re not going to get PS5 visuals, but you’re playing games like RDR2 at locked 40fps medium settings in your hands.

There’s a reason why the Deck is many people’s favorite console.

It’s also really great at emulation.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Ok, so I just got the pop up that my Steam Deck is available for purchase. It's the 512GB NVME model so its going to cost £569.

Money is not really the issue, I mean...I could save the cash but I do have the money available to purchase as I could use paypal credit.

Really, all im asking from anyone who owns one. How easy is it to set up and play things like emulators etc. If it is easy to set up and do then it will probs be worth it. Will I get a great performing 30 FPS on games like god of war. If so I guess its worth it?

Is there any specific videos that will help sell me or rightfully put me off?

Thanks in advance! :)
So you have the money available, but you need to use PayPal credit? So you indeed, do not have the cash available then? I mean, I could be mistaken in reading that part of your post 🤷‍♂️.
To answer your question though, probably shouldn’t buy it, there will be more models right around the corner I bet. They won’t announce until after the holidays though.
But ultimately it’s up to you, no one can really tell you how to spend your money.

ruzuyu

Neo Member
Just got mine a few days ago. Having been a Switch user for a while, I find the whole device to be huge at first when compared to Switch. But it's super easy to get used to. Even the games not fully compatible with Deck run great on it. Lots of AAA games can run at 30-40 FPS. If you are not obsessed with the frame rates and know how to enjoy your time with a handheld console, it's one of the best.

I've installed Elden Ring and am having a solid 30-35 FPS. I can fight bosses, do some PvP, farm runes just like the way I do on PC. I'm also a fan of Sea of Thieves and it runs like a butter on Deck. I haven't tried RDR 2 yet but seen some videos that a guy was having around 40 - 50 FPS or something. And I find these rates quite high enough for a handheld console though some other people might disagree. But when you think that Bloodborne on PS4 is locked at 30 FPS, it's just mind-blowing. Overall, I'm so glad that I ordered my Deck.

Interfectum

So you have the money available, but you need to use PayPal credit? So you indeed, do not have the cash available then? I mean, I could be mistaken in reading that part of your post 🤷‍♂️.
To answer your question though, probably shouldn’t buy it, there will be more models right around the corner I bet. They won’t announce until after the holidays though.
But ultimately it’s up to you, no one can really tell you how to spend your money.
Doubtful. Valve won't announce Steam Deck 2 until they catchup on pre-orders. 2024 is when we'll hear about more versions.

Ogbert

It's a cool device but for me since it didn't work out of the box with destiny (the only game I play every day) and the extremely high resell value at the time, I sold mine for a laptop.
The lack of native D2 support is a bummer. Still, I stream to the deck from my desktop, which works great for regular play. Wouldn’t want to play Crucible that way though.

I’m hoping it gets resolved in the next year or so, but Bungie seem to be a little reluctant. I think the Proton anti-cheat support is now available.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The lack of native D2 support is a bummer. Still, I stream to the deck from my desktop, which works great for regular play. Wouldn’t want to play Crucible that way though.

I’m hoping it gets resolved in the next year or so, but Bungie seem to be a little reluctant. I think the Proton anti-cheat support is now available.

Yeah when ever they fix D2 so it works (on either side) I’ll get another one. Maybe v2 will be out then.

supernova8

Banned
Sorry to bump the thread, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience playing Game Pass (directly on the device, via Windows). I'm not interested in playing it on Xcloud (otherwise I can just play on a tablet or something). There are loads of Deck videos on youtube but hardly any covering this specific topic. From the videos I watched it seems like using Windows 10/11 on Deck is a bit finnicky right now.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Sorry to bump the thread, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience playing Game Pass (directly on the device, via Windows). I'm not interested in playing it on Xcloud (otherwise I can just play on a tablet or something). There are loads of Deck videos on youtube but hardly any covering this specific topic. From the videos I watched it seems like using Windows 10/11 on Deck is a bit finnicky right now.
I played a few games using Game Pass on Windows and they mostly work as you'd expect. The only problem is that the games are running on Windows on an external SD, and that means a few things:

1) Windows run like poopoo from an external SD. The games run mostly fine, but the OS is slow as hell. That is enough for me not wanting to use it.
2) Having to change SD and reboot is a tedious process.
3) To make Xbox controls work on Windows by default, you need to install a software that requires Steam to be open. Not the end of the world, but far from the plug and play experience you might want.

Does it work? Yes. Would I recommend getting a Steam Deck for that? No. Is the situation ever going to get better? Probably when they release double booting from the internal SSD.

Crayon

Something that may or may not be an issue for certain people is that the built in global framerate limiter has fairly significant input lag - something that has yet to be addressed from what I've seen. Perfect frame pacing though so that may be the trade-off for it.

I always use it on my pc. Some games have wonky frame limiters or vsync. I always want my fpa capped at 60 anyhow so i just leave it on. I've wondered about the latency. Always figured it would be comparable to a triple buffer but I'm not sure if it works the same way.

Top Bottom