• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I change jobs? Help me here

That’s it.
I’m working from home, pay is good and they even let me move to another country. But when corona is over we definitely going back to office.

got an offer from another company. My salary will be down around 400 us monthly but the contract is working from home.

to put in balance;
-Current company project are bad and I’m not improving at all. (Template projects)
-Pay is good and nice bonus.
-some people are kind, but after many years I may have 2 friends)
-Famous company in japan
-I work for some years already so I have more Holliday’s (one plus per year of work)

offer company;
-400us less salary (every month)
-Bonus is 3 times bigger (in one year I would be making more money, but bonus are also risky)
-Famous company worldwide, stressful?
-New project, all I learned last 7 years would be not useful, start from scratch (my CV would improve a lot).
-They also offer support money for each kid.
-Air plane tickets for me and my family to go back to my home country every year.
-more Holliday’s only with one year work.
-idk if they are kind, interview was ok, I did felt some “we are superior air”

Those every month 400 us won’t hurt me but I hate to live waiting for the bonus...that can be good or bad , I even ask them; “don’t give me a big bonus but a big salary.”

would you keep relax in current company doing stuff that don’t improve yourself at all? move on?

both companies contract are full time (in japan full time is the same as working forever)

notseqi

Are you consistently productive when working from home?
Do they give you an equal or similar holiday deal?
If the bonus is non-negotiable (i.e. not depending on performance) and it's paid out no matter what I'd go for it, sounds interesting. Non-performance bonus pay is often related to keeping you around.

Those would be my main points to consider, sounds sweet otherwise.

notseqi

Stick where you are until Corona is over. then take a look at how the world is and what your choices are. SAVE that extra money you are earning.
He sounds like he could switch jobs at will, I wouldn't think that conservative when he's already got the offer.
While I'm all for observing Covid restrictions the working world does move on.

nush

Gold Member
He sounds like he could switch jobs at will, I wouldn't think that conservative when he's already got the offer.
While I'm all for observing Covid restrictions the working world does move on.

Yes, but taking a new job is a risk. Is the company good when you get there? will he like his coworkers? Is the work culture good? All of these things you only find out once you take the job. I take job change risks when I HAVE to, not when I don't.

You have a good stable job and you have kids, no point risking it. If it all goes sour you need to consider how the job market is looking in these corona times. Not sure what your field is but with how the world has been the last 9 months i would ere on the side of caution and sit tight.

You also mentioned you dont have the current skill set so if something does happen to the company or your local office, not only are you the newest but the least skilled.

Last edited:
The bonus may change with company and personal performance. Never heard a case that it went down but it can happen.

Waiting for corona sound good,
It is risky and I actually don’t need it right now but at the same time getting an offer from this huge company again would be difficult.

notseqi

Yes, but taking a new job is a risk. Is the company good when you get there? will he like his coworkers? Is the work culture good? All of these things you only find out once you take the job. I take job change risks when I HAVE to, not when I don't.
He seems bored with what he is doing at the moment, while working from home but returning to the office after restrictions.
A new company, actual work aside, is always a risk, but he mentioned not feeling too great at the current one either. 400 dolares less and he can continue working from home, with added support for his kids, more holiday (which I seem to have skipped over in my first read), plane tickets for a whole family (maybe already outweighing the 400 bux x12) and potentially matching pay to current salary by ways of bonus payout.

The 'my CV would improve a lot' kinda does it for me.

I say 'move on'.

nush

Gold Member
He seems bored with what he is doing at the moment, while working from home but returning to the office after restrictions.
A new company, actual work aside, is always a risk, but he mentioned not feeling too great at the current one either. 400 dolares less and he can continue working from home, with added support for his kids, more holiday (which I seem to have skipped over in my first read), plane tickets for a whole family (maybe already outweighing the 400 bux x12) and potentially matching pay to current salary by ways of bonus payout.

The 'my CV would improve a lot' kinda does it for me.

I say 'move on'.

You're not factoring in COVID uncertainty from any other previous times. I am.

nush

Gold Member
You also mentioned you dont have the current skill set so if something does happen to the company or your local office, not only are you the newest but the least skilled.

Exactly, I know new people get kicked out first when things go bad for a company.

notseqi

You're not factoring in COVID uncertainty from any other previous times. I am.
I don't understand the sentence.
Does it mean that you have experience (first- or secondhand) with similar moves on the job market?

nush

Gold Member
I don't understand the sentence.
Does it mean that you have experience (first- or secondhand) with similar moves on the job market?

Yes, under normal circumstances.

These times are not normal.

Don't take risks unless you need too.

From my experience, the bigger the company, the less you have to actually work. Deadlines aren't as tight, bosses are just there to sit through the day and everything just moves at a snails pace.

You have a good stable job and you have kids, no point risking it. If it all goes sour you need to consider how the job market is looking in these corona times. Not sure what your field is but with how the world has been the last 9 months i would ere on the side of caution and sit tight.

Thank , this make a lot of sense!

The “no skill” bother me as well, i told them I won’t change as contract employer (one year contract, later maybe I can be permanent, company rule). I ask for permanent employer contract and for the first time they said yes to someone. In japan companies are not allowed to fired permanent employees, but they can do it in the first 6 months approval period (not common or heard about it).

About the market, my current company want to do what the offer company is doing as the trends shifted.

I did some google and my current company stock is 33.7b, new one is 732b.

my wife say do what you want (she know I’m super bored in my current work).
But she also don’t know what is having a kid, no job or money... that time opinion can change lol

I have a meeting next week and I’m writing all my questions and doubts to ask HR.

Definitely Will ask the no skill and project goals again.
Thanks!

Last edited:

notseqi

Yes, under normal circumstances.

These times are not normal.

Don't take risks unless you need too.
Got it.
To me it all depends on confidence and how his current skill level translates.
You don't have a million tries to apply at the same company either, maybe the opportunity won't arise again in the next five years.

Whatever fran.fernandez fran.fernandez decides, I wish him luck :)

Well, I had meeting with HR and development team, all sound good so I sign the papers. They also wait until June (do not want to change now because corona)

what trigger me to change was current company personal evaluation meeting (we have 2 every year to see how I feel), they are like robot answer mode.

I told them some projects are bad with no skilled people and other are good with skilled people, I was waiting them to ask me more details but they just say: “ oh ok! Thank you so much for you work, it help us a lot” .

lol

Top Bottom