• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should i file a complaint against my supervisoe

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Three weeks ago I put in a vacation request so o could move this weekend. I spoke to the manager and he said work things out. Later I got a notice that my request was approved.

Today I got a call my from supervisor an hour into when my shift would normally begin.

"So uh...were you planning on working today?"

I told him no. That I had taken a vacation day and was in the process of moving". He told me that I should have double checked on Friday to confirm my vacation request was still valid. I told him next time i will but I can't because I'm fucking moving.

He then gave me an ultimatum. Work or get written up. We're working from home. All my stuff is packed. So it's not an option.

On Monday I'm going to get written up. How can I protect myself.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Do you have an email confirmation that you got that vacation approved?
I do. It's also in my payroll software. But his argument is that I should have checked with him before I left on Friday to confirm.

TaySan TaySan not currently. They laid off our HR staff when covid hit.

Last edited:
I do. It's also in my payroll software. But his argument is that I should have checked with him before I left on Friday to confirm.

It was approved and on your payroll. It’s his job as manager to backfill and if he failed to do so that’s on him. If he writes you up you should absolutely contact your HR department and file a complaint. Don’t let him get away with it.

LoV

Banned

It's irresponsible of him to approve then deny it without informing you. It's not your job to look and see if your vacation is declined after approval. Do not sign anything. Show the approval email and no follow mentioning that you were declined last minute.

TheMan

It was approved and on your payroll. It’s his job as manager to backfill and if he failed to do so that’s on him. If he writes you up you should absolutely contact your HR department and file a complaint. Don’t let him get away with it.

They don't have an HR department pendejo

diffusionx

Gold Member

Is that standard practice at your company? At mine, once you get the approval, it might as well be written in granite. The day is yours.

I find it really hard to believe you can get written up for taking off time that your manager approved. That's actually one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Don't sign anything and don't acknowledge the written warning.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Three weeks ago I put in a vacation request so o could move this weekend. I spoke to the manager and he said work things out. Later I got a notice that my request was approved.

Today I got a call my from supervisor an hour into when my shift would normally begin.

"So uh...were you planning on working today?"

I told him no. That I had taken a vacation day and was in the process of moving". He told me that I should have double checked on Friday to confirm my vacation request was still valid. I told him next time i will but I can't because I'm fucking moving.

He then gave me an ultimatum. Work or get written up. We're working from home. All my stuff is packed. So it's not an option.

On Monday I'm going to get written up. How can I protect myself.
Slap his face with a purple dildo GTA style. lol

TaySan

Banned

Oh wow. Well, I would show him the email saying that you were approved and if he still writes you up i would file a complaint and start looking for somewhere else better to work. That guy sounds like a grade A cunt.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
II take it that your manager and your supervisor aren't the same person? If the manager approved it, and they knew the reasons for the time off were unavoidable (moving house, attending a funeral, etc) then just raise it with them. Sounds like your supervisor is either a prick or a dislikes you, so I suggest you do that, but then personally I'd look for another job.

Tell him/her to go fuck themselves. I was in the same boat a couple years ago as you OP. I gave them a heads up/notice months before moving and did the same shit they tryna pull on you.

Do not sign shit, tell your supervisor you would like a meeting with him and your manager explaining that it was approved end of story. Also tell the supervisor you do not appreciate being threatened while you are doing something as stressful as moving. If manager doesn't back you up go to his or CEO fuck it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm just going to consolidate some of the most relevant points made by others in order of importance:

1. He's a cunt.
  2. You already had it confirmed, that is the only confirmation needed.
  3. Go above his head with the paper trail and protect yourself. You followed procedure, you're fine.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone has already said what to do but absolutely start looking for something else as well. You do not need people like that in your life.

Absolutely this. Tbh I’ve been in tech on and off for 20 years and these days I avoid startups. In my 20s I had a run of 3 in a row go bust, they were always so poorly organised and often run by arseholes. It was less of an issue for me then because I had a huge ego and was an arsehole myself, but I grew up and got some humility and now I prefer something more stable, a nice medium sized business with a decent history and no HR department. Figure out what you really want from a job then go get it, leave that shit behind.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Do not sign shit, tell your supervisor you would like a meeting with him and your manager explaining that it was approved end of story. Also tell the supervisor you do not appreciate being threatened while you are doing something as stressful as moving. If manager doesn't back you up go to his or CEO fuck it.
Solid advice. Gotta let them know when they step out of line, doesn't matter who it is
I'd also advise that OP begins a playthrough of the game Paper Mario: The Origami King

Soodanim

Gold Member
Absolutely this. Tbh I’ve been in tech on and off for 20 years and these days I avoid startups. In my 20s I had a run of 3 in a row go bust, they were always so poorly organised and often run by arseholes. It was less of an issue for me then because I had a huge ego and was an arsehole myself, but I grew up and got some humility and now I prefer something more stable, a nice medium sized business with a decent history and no HR department. Figure out what you really want from a job then go get it, leave that shit behind.
I’m glad you said medium. Stability without being a big corporation. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone having a happy career for one of those without being a prick and kicking everyone else off the ladder on the way up.

Go fuck his daughter if she's 18.

LightGiddyItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’m glad you said medium. Stability without being a big corporation. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone having a happy career for one of those without being a prick and kicking everyone else off the ladder on the way up.

Basically my place is just about small enough not to need a HR department and just big enough to be relatively secure and pay good money.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that it’s a god idea to work somewhere that requires developers but isn’t primarily a software or IT business. I build software that enables the business to function (and our clients too for that matter - most of the big telecoms companies use it) so I’m useful but the business is focused on other things which gets me freedom and a more diverse working environment. I mean diverse in a good way, different types of people with different ideas. A bunch of IT people together can be a good crack but it’s never stable.

Kev Kev

there is no such thing as double check once it's been approved. you check it once and that's it.

if this goes further with HR and your company sides with your manager, i would leave that company

DKehoe

Gold Member

Sounds like he fucked up with his shift planning and is now scrambling to get you to fix his mistake for him. He's got nothing to stand on here.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Seems if you already had a notice your vacation day was approved you can just bring that in. They cannot just cancel it without notice and without notifying you in writing. Go right over his head if you need to.
So much this. Your supervisor has a supervisor and that’s person will evaluate the situation accordingly.

Top Bottom