• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should i file a complaint against my supervisoe

GeorgPrime

Banned
Three weeks ago I put in a vacation request so o could move this weekend. I spoke to the manager and he said work things out. Later I got a notice that my request was approved.

Today I got a call my from supervisor an hour into when my shift would normally begin.

"So uh...were you planning on working today?"

I told him no. That I had taken a vacation day and was in the process of moving". He told me that I should have double checked on Friday to confirm my vacation request was still valid. I told him next time i will but I can't because I'm fucking moving.

He then gave me an ultimatum. Work or get written up. We're working from home. All my stuff is packed. So it's not an option.

On Monday I'm going to get written up. How can I protect myself.

Sounds like your supervisor is an idiot who just wants to feel important by harassing his workers.

G-Bus

Banned
I'd blast him in front of everyone and quit but I'm a hothead like that.

Yeaaa this. Maybe not make a big scene or quit but I'd totally walk all over the guy.

Assert dominance. You should fuck his wife/gf/lover.

Last edited:

If he approved it then he approved it. Should be simple for this guy to understand you shouldn’t need to double check his approval. If thats the case you should double check everything this guy does and who wants that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If your boss is writing you up, explain why you think it's bullshit and see what happens. If he insists, find a new job. Not joking. I can put up with a lot of bullshit that comes up when doing business, but not bullshit people managing me.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sounds like somebody needed to lord something over you by pulling this shit

Last edited:

notseqi

I do. It's also in my payroll software. But his argument is that I should have checked with him before I left on Friday to confirm.
I would have told my boss/supervisor when I'd be off for vacation as a courtesy.
If the supervisor isn't a massive dingus I'd apologise for not letting him know in advance and promise to do so in future vacations, then see what happens. Should he fuck you over go hard, print off the notice you got for your vacation twice, take one copy home, give one to your manager or party concerned with write-ups and ask where to go from there.

Acting as per due process can be fine but doesn't bode well for future engagements.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Had a meeting with the manager and the supervisor. They will not be writing me up this time. I was told that while I technically did nothing wrong, I should have reminded my supervisor that I will not be working prior to my day off "as a courtesy" and to make sure everything was covered.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Had a meeting with the manager and the supervisor. They will not be writing me up this time. I was told that while I technically did nothing wrong, I should have reminded my supervisor that I will not be working prior to my day off "as a courtesy" and to make sure everything was covered.

Sounds like they know they fucked up but don’t want to admit it. I’d personally start looking around.

notseqi

Sounds alright. I tend to remind people that I'm out a week in advance, i.e. 'anything pressing that needs to be done with priority? I'm on vacation next week'.

LoV

Banned
Start looking dude. Your manager irregardless was stirring shit and if he can't handle a schedule, he's definitely not fit to be a manager.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Start looking dude. Your manager irregardless was stirring shit and if he can't handle a schedule, he's definitely not fit to be a manager.

Apparently the scheduling isn't handled by him. They have a computer program that schedules us based on projected work load for the upcoming month or something. It's automated.

Hinedorf

Banned
Three weeks ago I put in a vacation request so o could move this weekend. I spoke to the manager and he said work things out. Later I got a notice that my request was approved.

Today I got a call my from supervisor an hour into when my shift would normally begin.

"So uh...were you planning on working today?"

I told him no. That I had taken a vacation day and was in the process of moving". He told me that I should have double checked on Friday to confirm my vacation request was still valid. I told him next time i will but I can't because I'm fucking moving.

He then gave me an ultimatum. Work or get written up. We're working from home. All my stuff is packed. So it's not an option.

On Monday I'm going to get written up. How can I protect myself.

The manager fucked up and forgot to make note, I don't know how important your job is, but if you requested the PTO and were approved I would go to HR following having moved if you get written up

LoV

Banned
Apparently the scheduling isn't handled by him. They have a computer program that schedules us based on projected work load for the upcoming month or something. It's automated.

Ok, so he didn't remind himself to look at the schedule everyday and blamed you. He also went above and beyond to get you written up.

Don't think you're at fault.

Fbh

Annoyingly remind him of everything now.

"Dear Boss. I'm just writing to remind you that, as per my contract, my working hours are from 9Am to 5Pm and since it is now past 5Pm and my work for the day is done, I will now log off and start dedicating time to other activities which are unrelated to my job.."

don't do it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great supervisor are usually happy about workers going on vacation in the end it doesn’t effect them next man up

Droxcy

HR and your boss will turn it around and make you feel like shit. Go to his boss or HR Manager not HR Rep. Show proof of approved PTO and communications exchanged. It's up to him to get coverage not your problem.

EDIT: Also totally not your job to remind him about your day off he should mark it on a calendar or something the day you requested it. So tired of shit head people.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Super glue a dildo to the bonnet of his car so everyone knows his a big floppy cock.

nush

Gold Member
Sounds alright. I tend to remind people that I'm out a week in advance, i.e. 'anything pressing that needs to be done with priority? I'm on vacation next week'.

I used to do that, but it backfires so hard (Depending on your job) as you get a whole load people giving you next weeks work to "Just finish up before you leave".

I've worked with bosses that I'd have to absolutely try to sneak out the building (without looking like I was sneaking out) on a Friday evening or before a public holiday because they would panic they would be behind schedule for a weekend/few days and something terribly important needed to be done before I left that they forgot about after the weekend anyway.

notseqi

I used to do that, but it backfires so hard (Depending on your job) as you get a whole load people giving you next weeks work to "Just finish up before you leave".

I've worked with bosses that I'd have to absolutely try to sneak out the building (without looking like I was sneaking out) on a Friday evening or before a public holiday because they would panic they would be behind schedule for a weekend/few days and something terribly important needed to be done before I left that they forgot about after the weekend anyway.
I haven't had unreasonable requests and it could take me 30minutes more on my last day to get the stuff finished. I was a good worker (compared to my colleagues) so I could just go faster if needed, without being stupid to get more work shifted over to me. Also with the knowledge that colleagues would shift blame on anybody that is currently in vacation. Weird times, but that's office work I guess.

I swapped straightforward office work for a more lenient but availability-heavy position so now it's project work that requires a phone and remembering shit so none of that supervisor-crap anymore, thanks.

nush

Gold Member
I swapped straightforward office work for a more lenient but availability-heavy position so now it's project work that requires a phone and remembering shit so none of that supervisor-crap anymore, thanks.

One of the benefits of business cost cutting was to get rid of layers of management getting in the way of the task at hand. That's why job descriptions now have something like "Self motivated, independent problem solver" in there somewhere.

Top Bottom