• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get an XSX or a PS5?

dcmk7

Banned
Sounds like OP would rather a PS5.

It's had a great first year with plenty more exclusives to come soon.

PS5 DE, is exceptionally priced if prefer to stick to digital titles, it being undeniably the best bang for buck out of all the consoles.

But do what feels right.

I usually buy all consoles. GAF is notoriously pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft since the Xbox One era. Keep that in mind.

I prefer Xbox for various reasons. But, keep in mind that it looks like all console exclusives for both companies seem to be getting pc releases…so if you have a console and pc, exclusivity won’t be much of an issue. Sony tend to release theirs for pc later, though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Agreed. Best is subjective. You will note that I was taking objection with the same word and said it was not only subjective but false when the exclusive ratio is approximately 2 to 5. Kena and Deathloop against Halo, FH5, Psychonauts 2, Scorn, the Gunk, Crossfire although many could be delayed). And you jumped into the post to tell me that suggesting that Microsoft might have the upper hand here is a matter of opinion.

You were not factual at all and it absolutely was a "matter of opinion". The problem is that no opinion made was derived from numbers. That *would have been* verifiably false, but that wasn't what was said. Here is the post:

Get a PS5 now - better first-party and second-party games available and coming, better controller and audio, plus more of your friends are likely to own a Playstation.

In the meantime, save up for a PC - you'll have access to Steam, GamePass, and superior performance if you so choose.

You can make the "more is better" argument if you want but that doesn't mean his opinion is "false". You changed his argument from better "coming" to "more games this year". Just not accurate as the bolded part clearly shows.

MacReady13

I have both. I’m no fan of sub services and as such don’t have game pass. People here seem to love it so if you like renting your games there’s a wide selection on there for your liking.
For me, I prefer the PS5. Prefer it’s exclusives. Love the controller as well. You really can’t go wrong with either but I lean more towards Sony.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Like someone mentioned, Demon Souls is worth getting the PS5 for already and Returnal has been fantastic, same with Rift Apart and Miles is a good game too

Looking at future exclusives PS5 fits my tastes more

Great gaming!! Cheers!

gamer ps4 GIF

breakfuss

I have both. I’m no fan of sub services and as such don’t have game pass. People here seem to love it so if you like renting your games there’s a wide selection on there for your liking.
For me, I prefer the PS5. Prefer it’s exclusives. Love the controller as well. You really can’t go wrong with either but I lean more towards Sony.
Having the “sub service” doesn’t preclude you from purchasing the games 🙄. In fact, should you choose to buy there’s a discount on anything included with gamepass. Look at that!

I agree that quantity doesn’t trump quality/taste and a lot of stuff I just straight up ignore on GP. My time is limited. But man, it’s awesome to be able to take a chance with something for very little penalty. Or, you might play an entry in a series b/c of GP and buy the sequels. Or, you find that you’re a fan of the dev (as I did with People Can Fly) and buy their other games. Or, discover a genre you never knew you’d like. Yea, GP HAS altered my buying habits on PS5 or XSX…by making them more informed and diverse.

Oh, and most importantly, it saved me from buying 12 Minutes!

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Right now? I don't think either is worth buying. And emphatically not if you have to jump through flaming hoops or pay anything over list price for it. Having said that, IMO right now the PS5 is a "better" choice in terms of having content on it that's not available elsewhere, but still not worth the price of admission. Wait a year - by then you will have a much better chance of both just being able to buy one and getting games for it that really appeal to you rather than buying stuff that might otherwise be marginal just because there is hardly any choice.

Edit: for clarity, this is written from the point of view of someone that already has a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X - if you don't already have the previous generation machines then it might change the value proposition quite a bit. For example, if you currently own and Xbox One but no PS4 then buying a PS5 would make a lot more sense since it would give you access to both the PS4 and PS5 libraries - and although I frequently ding on the 8th gen as being less interesting than the previous ones if you honestly can't find anything on the PS4 you would like to play then you probably just don't like video games.

Last edited:

Zathalus

As you mentioned most of your library being PS4 and there are PS5 exclusives you want to play, I recommend you go for the PS5.

Pick up a XSX further down the line when it has games you want to play and for Gamepass.

Both consoles are great.

Greggy

You were not factual at all and it absolutely was a "matter of opinion". The problem is that no opinion made was derived from numbers. That *would have been* verifiably false, but that wasn't what was said. Here is the post:

You can make the "more is better" argument if you want but that doesn't mean his opinion is "false". You changed his argument from better "coming" to "more games this year". Just not accurate as the bolded part clearly shows.
Nobody fair minded would argue that Kena and Deathloop ia a better lineup than FH5, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Crossfire and Scorn, based on what we know of those games to date. Not even you believe that and I maintain it is a "false" statement. It is Trump's opinion that he won the election. It is also false. An opinion can be factually inaccurate.

Markio128

Nobody fair minded would argue that Kena and Deathloop ia a better lineup than FH5, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Crossfire and Scorn, based on what we know of those games to date. Not even you believe that and I maintain it is a "false" statement. It is Trump's opinion that he won the election. It is also false. An opinion can be factually inaccurate.
I don’t really want to get drawn into this silly argument, however, I think it is worth mentioning that R&C, Returnal and Demon’s Souls didn’t just miraculously disappear from the stores. Whilst you could argue that fall looks better for Series consoles, 2021 as a whole is not so clear cut. You don’t just buy a console for what is coming in the future, but what it already provides.

Hobbygaming

Psychonauts 2 is multiplatform

Have there been any recent updates on Crossfire X and Scorn that confirms them to be 2021 games? Genuine question

Hobbygaming

I don’t really want to get drawn into this silly argument, however, I think it is worth mentioning that R&C, Returnal and Demon’s Souls didn’t just miraculously disappear from the stores. Whilst you could argue that fall looks better for Series consoles, 2021 as a whole is not so clear cut. You don’t just buy a console for what is coming in the future, but what it already provides.
I'm glad someone said this. People just try to bypass what Playstation has already released this year

Why don't you add Miles Morales, Godfall or Sackboy as well while you already are in 2020?

Markio128

Why don't you add Miles Morales, Godfall or Sackboy as well while you already are in 2020?
Being a little pedantic there. My point being that past releases are still attractive for buyers of a new console. And if we are adding 2020 releases, it really doesn’t help the Series console argument in fairness.

Being a little pedantic there. My point being that past releases are still attractive for buyers of a new console. And if we are adding 2020 releases, it really doesn’t help the Series console argument in fairness.
I asked, because you added the 2020 Demons Souls.

Greggy

Yes and I suspect you buy a console with the intent of keeping it for a number of years.
I was objecting to the part about PS having the "better upcoming" lineup. It certainly has the better "already released" line up with the 3 games you mentionned.

truth411

You're fucking high AF you little fuckstick, Betty Crocker lookin' doppelganger! Lol.

Xbox has way more than fucking Halo Infinite and Forza now. Does your mom's know you still think this way?? Holy shit ...
Ban worthy?
Halo and Forza isn't out yet, but it does have Flight Simulator, what all these other games that are not Cross Gen Games?

truth411

Many are still using the 360 era logic that only the Holidays matter. Its bogus.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Ban worthy?
Halo and Forza isn't out yet, but it does have Flight Simulator, what all these other games that are not Cross Gen Games?
I was joking in my roast, if that wasn't obvious. So ban these n$@!

Still, his post was a big ass lie. My dude lied so hard he chipped a tooth. Bottom line.

4k and 1080p where as Xbox can hook into a 1440p monitor and support it natively

Now the PS5 can work on 1440p monitors and some monitors will let you select the 4k output and the monitor itself will downscale to the monitors native 1440p and look pretty nice.

But many 1440p monitors the PS5 will be stuck outputting 1080p
Oh didn't know that, not that I'm surprised actually. But it would be great if a future update brings the native 1440p support

Rambotito

I had a choice between the two so I bought one. I like the games it has and the controller feels great. The hardware is nice and quiet and backwards compatibility is a nice feature. I can't wait for the new exclusive games to come out next year. Until then I can play my old titles at at a better frame rate. The new SSD makes loading games painless. I subscribed to the online service and I get free games every month, some of which I really like. The console is hard to find but if you can get your hands on one , it's worth it.

Which console am I talking about? You can put either of them in there, it's all the same.

StormCell

The easiest way to make this decision, OP, is to go with the one you can't live without. If there is a PS exclusive game you can't stand to miss, then the decision is easy. Go PS5.

Personally, there's not one experience on Playstation I'm worried about missing except for maybe Horizon. I might have a change of heart, though, if they start making great Twisted Metal games again along with some others.

If you already have a gaming PC: PS5.

If you don't already have a gaming PC: PS5 unless you're a Bethesda or Flight Sim fanatic. There is just no comparison in terms of quality of exclusives. Sony has a proven track record, Microsoft does not.

RAL1992

Having both, I'd go for the Xbox, spent far more time with it, helped massively by gamepass and I've had nothing but issues with the dualsense controller (trigger spring) just remember to do the Xbox live gamepass upgrade for £1 if you sway that way.

MacReady13

Having the “sub service” doesn’t preclude you from purchasing the games 🙄. In fact, should you choose to buy there’s a discount on anything included with gamepass. Look at that!
So having to spend approx $15 a month here in Australia for this service to get a discount to ALSO buy games is worth it for me? I try only buying games I know I will want to play, and that discount just isn't worth it for me. What would I save on Quake on Series X if I have Game Pass active? Being as that will be the only game I buy this month, have I saved money?
And yes, I realize it's on Game Pass to play "for free", but I'd prefer to have the game in my collection whenever I want to play it in case my subscription runs out...

S0ULZB0URNE

The XSS is a fine console and offers the best value of any system right now. As long as you don't care about the best graphics it packs all the same features the $200 more expensive box does. Many here have snagged one and a PS5 as well. It really takes the risk out of trying MS's ecosystem especially for those wary from last generation. I highly doubt this generation will be another TV TV TV one.
You are sad

Kamina

Golden Boy
If you like them both equally you should get whichever you can get ahold of first.
But since you mentioned your PS5 library, the PS5 might be the smarter choice for you.

Last edited:
For me Playstation is a no brainer.

But if I would start from scratch and without any gaming history I might choose Xbox.

Gamepass and Elite Controller are both really attempting.

I'm still pretty sure I would rather get a Playstation just because of it's first party.

Top Bottom