• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I mod my PS3?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Now, I have never modded a console before so I'm uncertain as to the value in it. To be clear, I have zero interest in pirating games so that isn't a plus for me at all.

I currently have a fat 40 gig PS3 that I upgraded to a 200 gig drive on the most recent firmware. I like it a fair bit but I don't play it as much as I might like so I thought it could be fun to tinker with.

Besides piracy (which I don't care about), what are the benefits? Can I dump my games to hard drive? Is there a benefit to this? I have around 100 games sitting there. Is it really even worth it? I wouldn't bother with anything online as I'm not risking any kind of ban.

I'm not technically inclined at all so if it's difficult I'll just elect to not do it all.

Mods, please delete if this is not allowed.

SpiceRacz

You can rip all your games to the hard drive with CFW. I'm not sure they load much faster, but it is convenient. Also, being able to play PSP games on your TV is pretty cool.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is a pretty good software PS2 emulator that Sony built, that's accessible if you hack it. Not perfect compatibility last I looked, but decent as it's what they used for the PS2 Classics you buy on PSN.

stranno

Is the super slim on current FW hackable yet?
You cant install a CFW in any model with a Minver above 3.55 (latest Slims and every Super slim) or you will brick it. That havent and probably wont change.

But nowdays every single PS3 model can run HEN (Homebrew ENabler). Its basically a CFW when it comes to games support (discs, digital games, ps1, ps2, psp, emulators, etc) but it cant be installed on boot and it lacks advanced customization features.

There is a pretty good software PS2 emulator that Sony built, that's accessible if you hack it. Not perfect compatibility last I looked, but decent as it's what they used for the PS2 Classics you buy on PSN.
There are four Playstation 2 emulators in Playstation 3:

ps2_emu uses the Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer chip while it emulates the rest (io, magicgate, sound, etc) in the SPUs.
ps2_gxemu uses the Graphics Synthesizer chip while it emulates the rest in the SPUs, except the Emotion Engine, that runs in the PPU1 (one of the PS3 CPU cores).
ps2_softemu and ps2_netemu are fully software emulation, softemu was quite bad and it was soon deprecated. netemu is the "PS2 Classics" thing and it features a quite decent emulation given the PS3 power.

Last edited:

Antwix

I have had several cfw PS3 throughout the years, all beginning with a tethered mod involving an iPod Nano. I have sold all of them except one, which I still have and use frequently. It's a PS3 slim by the way.

I haven't really kept up with the firmwares and models that are possible to have cfw installed on them so make sure your model can actually support this. However, if your model IS COMPATIBLE, it is sooooooo easy to do nowadays. Literally put a .PUP update file onto a flash drive and update via usb using the PS3 update process. That's it.

Anyways, I'll give the reasons/pros I have kept mine:
-Able to play PS3, PS2 (emulation), PS1 games, as well as blu-rays/DVDs
-Able to use modded Netflix, youtube, hulu, etc without the use of PSN/online check
-Decent emulation box via Retroarch provided you don't require N64/Dreamcast and greater. I was just playing og DOOM and Quake the other day via retroarch. Pretty slick with the PS3 OEM controller.
-Able to run Movian, which is a light media player capable of playing h264/mkv/etc files with auto-download of covers and subtitles
-Lots of plugins/features to customize your PS3, like an FTP server and someone mentioned, Fan speed control
-You can extend the life of your blu-ray drive since you can load games from the hard drive instead of the disc. Also, if for whatever reason your blu-ray drive craps out, you can still play games.

There's probably a bunch more stuff that's useful but like I said I haven't kept up with everything. All the stuff I mentioned might be possible with other hardware, but the thing that really sold me (on keeping the PS3) was the fact that you can do all of this just natively and simply with the PS3 OEM controller. It's just super convenient.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I've also thinking about modding my ps3, so, I will drop some other questions here for the ones who are more versed in the matter. I'm well aware of the benefits, but don't know the downside of doing it. So, let's go:

-Is it possible on the consoles that are updated with the last ofw?
-Is it reversible?
-It will affect somehow my ability to play the hundreds of original games that I already have?
-Do I risk being banned by getting online with original games after the process?
-Do I risk something at all by doing it?

Thanks in advance for the help. Depending on the answers I'll modify mine and post the results here (or create another thread for it), or just buy a cheap super slim to play with it.

Antwix

I've also thinking about modding my ps3, so, I will drop some other questions here for the ones who are more versed in the matter. I'm well aware of the benefits, but don't know the downside of doing it. So, let's go:

-Is it possible on the consoles that are updated with the last ofw?
-Is it reversible?
-It will affect somehow my ability to play the hundreds of original games that I already have?
-Do I risk being banned by getting online with original games after the process?
-Do I risk something at all by doing it?

Thanks in advance for the help. Depending on the answers I'll modify mine and post the results here (or create another thread for it), or just buy a cheap super slim to play with it.
1) I believe the current ofw that Sony is on is 4.85? Then yes you can do cfw. However, I believe there is an extra step for this. You need to go from stock to a hybrid firmware, then to cfw.
2) Yes. You would format your hard drive, then you would just install the current official firmware back on the ps3. Maybe format again for safety.
3) Not at all. You would actually be saving your blu-ray drive from wearing out faster (pending you copy the games to your hard drive).
4) Yes. There is always a risk of being banned while signing into PSN when you have cfw installed. Definitely don't recommend this, but there are spoofing and other tools you can use to highly minimize banning.
5) Not really, except for PSN banning if you sign into PSN. The only thing you have to worry about is if your actual PS3 model is compatible. There are checks to do this of course before you begin. But you mentioned in your last sentence that you were possibly going to buy a super slim. Do not buy a super slim. Unless things have changed, which I don't believe they have, the super slim is not compatible with cfw.

marquimvfs

1) I believe the current ofw that Sony is on is 4.85? Then yes you can do cfw. However, I believe there is an extra step for this. You need to go from stock to a hybrid firmware, then to cfw.
2) Yes. You would format your hard drive, then you would just install the current official firmware back on the ps3. Maybe format again for safety.
3) Not at all. You would actually be saving your blu-ray drive from wearing out faster (pending you copy the games to your hard drive).
4) Yes. There is always a risk of being banned while signing into PSN when you have cfw installed. Definitely don't recommend this, but there are spoofing and other tools you can use to highly minimize banning.
5) Not really, except for PSN banning if you sign into PSN. The only thing you have to worry about is if your actual PS3 model is compatible. There are checks to do this of course before you begin. But you mentioned in your last sentence that you were possibly going to buy a super slim. Do not buy a super slim. Unless things have changed, which I don't believe they have, the super slim is not compatible with cfw.
Thank you very much for the info, Antwix Antwix . Later on the week I will try and do it on my current slim. Based on what you've said, if I just disable the automatic PSN Login I should be fine doing whatever I want. I just have one more question... During the process of installation, do I need to erase the hdd? If needed, how can I legally download the original games that I already have? It's necessary to enter the psn using the spoofing method or a previous backup will work just fine?

Antwix

Thank you very much for the info, Antwix Antwix . Later on the week I will try and do it on my current slim. Based on what you've said, if I just disable the automatic PSN Login I should be fine doing whatever I want. I just have one more question... During the process of installation, do I need to erase the hdd? If needed, how can I legally download the original games that I already have? It's necessary to enter the psn using the spoofing method or a previous backup will work just fine?
Yes, you can just disable auto-login of PSN through the PS3 system settings. You can still have your PS3 connected to the internet, but signing in to PSN is what you want to avoid.

No, you don't have to erase your hard drive. Also, just as an fyi, your hard drive does not affect anything regarding firmware. The info is stored on the NAND so formatting/upgrading your hard drive will not affect firmware.

If you already already own the games, you can just copy them to the hard drive via the blu-ray drive. Unless you mean you own them digitally? In that case, you may have to research how to get that working. The PSN spoof may work though.

I definitely recommend checking out a guy named "Modded warfare" on youtube. He seems to keep updated videos regarding newer happenings. I'm kind of out of the loop nowadays.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Yes, you can just disable auto-login of PSN through the PS3 system settings. You can still have your PS3 connected to the internet, but signing in to PSN is what you want to avoid.

No, you don't have to erase your hard drive. Also, just as an fyi, your hard drive does not affect anything regarding firmware. The info is stored on the NAND so formatting/upgrading your hard drive will not affect firmware.

If you already already own the games, you can just copy them to the hard drive via the blu-ray drive. Unless you mean you own them digitally? In that case, you may have to research how to get that working. The PSN spoof may work though.

I definitely recommend checking out a guy named "Modded warfare" on youtube. He seems to keep updated videos regarding newer happenings. I'm kind of out of the loop nowadays.

Yes, I was talking about digital games. But you pretty much answered every doubt I had about the process. Thank you very much for the patience and the channel recommendation, I'll look to it.

bravoguy

It’s a good thread here can anyone share in particular which models are best for CFW installations?
I plan to buy a used cheap model and install CFW in it.
Which CFW is the best if allowed plz name it here just want to play games via HDD and portable drives no online etc stuff I needed.

Bankai

Retroarch is really nice on PS3. I recommend it, especially if you don't have any other means to experience emulation of; NES, SNES, Genesis, 32x, SegaCD, Master System, NeoGeo, CPS 1 & 2, MAME2003 and some others.

More info check this LINK

Top Bottom