• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

should I pick up a Wii?

Just found this game in a box. Forgot I owned it.

Cts3i5f_d.webp

I remember it scared the shit out of me. I don’t remember how far I got but I never beat it. I have a switch, are there any other wii exclusives that make picking up a wii worth it? I can’t even remember what happened to my original wii. I loved that thing.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Just found this game in a box. Forgot I owned it.

Cts3i5f_d.webp

I remember it scared the shit out of me. I don’t remember how far I got but I never beat it. I have a switch, are there any other wii exclusives that make picking up a wii worth it? I can’t even remember what happened to my original wii. I loved that thing.
Buy a Wii u instead. You will have a Wii and it's easy to homebrew

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fuck the WiiU, pick up a Wii.

It has GC compatibility, tons of emulators and you can even use the NES Mini and SNES Mini controllers by plugging them into the wiimote, which is great for playing classic games.

I still have mine plugged into a CRT. NES, SNES, Megadrive, Sega CD, Gamecube and Wii, all in one place.

Last edited:

It has GC compatibility, tons of emulators and you can even use the NES Mini and SNES Mini controllers by plugging them into the wiimote, which is great for playing classic games.

I still have mine plugged into a CRT. NES, SNES, Megadrive, Sega CD, Gamecube and Wii, all in one place.
Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

Ezquimacore

Banned

Or buy a Wii U and with Nintendon't he will have a GC, a Wii and a Wii U... And much more

This 100%. I did the same last winter and it is now the console I use for any 16bit and earlier system on my CRT.

The image is actually too clean at times, but it is 240p and easy as hell to use, and that is what matters more.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I can confirm all those saying buy a Wii U. If you hack your Wii U, which is very easy, you essentially have a NES, Snes, Genesis, Playstation, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
"Calling has received mostly mixed reception from critics. Based on 28 reviews, the game holds a Metacritic score of 49/100[6] and 51.40% on GameRankings based on 20 reviews.[5]"

Matthew Mcconaughey No GIF by Salesforce

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Wii Exclusives worth it

Fragile Dreams
Sin and Punishment 2
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower

I'm sure there are a ton more but off the top of my head.

Tams

Wii that can also play gamecube games if you ever wanna play those, otherwise Wii U will do fine.
This is the correct answer. Along with:

The Wii does true 240p output which is heaven for retro/pixel games.

All I'll add is that most Wii U games got ported to the Switch. That said, a few didn't and some do play differently (worse imho) on Switch due to the lack of a gamepad. And there are some rare situations were the gamepad is better than a Switch.

And things do open up if you're happy with modding and ROMs. Frankly, at that point if you have a decent PC there's no point though.

Geez, you lot. Why'd you have to go jump in and assume what other games OP might want to play?

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This is the correct answer. Along with:

All I'll add is that most Wii U games got ported to the Switch. That said, a few didn't and some do play differently (worse imho) on Switch due to the lack of a gamepad. And there are some rare situations were the gamepad is better than a Switch.

And things do open up if you're happy with modding and ROMs. Frankly, at that point if you have a decent PC there's no point though.

Geez, you lot. Why'd you have to go jump in and assume what other games OP might want to play?

ZombiU , Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are better on Wii U for me because of the gamepad.

Misinformation here. Wii U literally has all these benefits plus the Wii U library when homebrewed, and the GC adaptor lets you use the GC controllers with the Cube games

lachesis

I would take Wii U because of HDMI connection.
I know it's both not optimal for playing Wii game though... I think Wii looked best on CRT TV than modern HD TV.

kiphalfton

The modern method no longer requires that, I had to unhack and rehack my Wii U in order to switch to the modern method

Nice. I was a bit worried since I think the Wii U shop is closing next year, so I wasn't sure how I would hack the Wii U if I decide to get another one in the future (traded my Wii U awhile back). Guess that's a non-issue now.

In any case I don't think you can go wrong in either case, whether you get a Wii or Wii U (granted the Wii needs to have a particular build bumber or lower to get the most out of it IIRC).

you can even use the NES Mini and SNES Mini controllers by plugging them into the wiimote [on the wii], which is great for playing classic games.
you can use wiimotes on wii u, so you can do the same thing.

plus, with the wii u, you get hdmi, wii game upscaling, and that beautifully stupid tablet controller monstrosity. there's an official adapter to use gamecube controllers too.

with the wii, you get two gamecubes and a butt plug duct-taped together. gamecube games dont even look better on it.

buy a gamecube in every color and a wii u, and call it a day.

Top Bottom