• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I stick with LCD or go Plasma?

mr stroke

Thank you for the extra info. Much appreciated.
VT60 is what I'm leaning towards as well. Will just need to save a bit more.

Just in time for PS4 I suppose.

Blown away by my ZT60 after a week of use. Mind blowing picture.

I would recommend the VT over the ST because of the "sheet of glass bezel" alone. Looks much nicer with the solid sheet of glass. Plus the pre set THX mode looks fantastic right out of the box.

Just had a Panasonic 60" S60 arrive today. I haven't calibrated yet and probably won't bother until I have put a few hundred hours in but I have turned off all the picture ruining features (e.g. vivid colour, pixel perfect etc). All I can say is I am amazed at how good a picture this TV puts out and it's the cheapest in the Panasonic range. Now I have the second last Kuro (508, elite in US) that has been ISF calibrated (about 4 years ago) but I have now just realised it's time to get it calibrated again. The blacks this screen put out are phenomenal and make my Kuro's look grey (I am not saying this is a better screen then the Kuro, just that the Kuro needs some adjusting). Out of the box settings on Cinema mode (sans the picture 'enhancement' settings) are really good, colours pop, the bezel disappears into the screen I am just incredibly impressed with this screen.

Of course once I turn the lights on, or open curtains the picture downgrades, but I knew that and I bought this as a gaming TV in a light controlled room. So happy with it :D. Crappy picture incoming:

edit I think I need to calibrate my ST50 as well because the blacks I see here are much greater :)

Just got the 50" version myself. Congrats! It really is a great set and incredible picture quality for the money. I'm a bit concerned about image retention and have broken it in with the screen wipe and full screen tv viewing (hopefully enough). Considering getting some color slides and a calibration disc next. I calibrated according to some info I found on a forum, but have a feeling it's not optimal.

ngower

Panasonic S60 owners: just how significant a worry is image retention? How does the TV do with 'static' images? The 42" S60 frequently pops down to $500 and I'm considering biting once I get my living situation in check.

I watch a lot of sports and would likely play a lot of sports games, hence my concern about scoreboards and the like sticking around on the set.

iMax

I'm really struggling to decide between LED and Plasma. Particularly these two models...

SmartVIERA_LED_TX-L55DT65B_Web_(404x290)_1_BoyA1001001A13C05B63450I38655.jpg

Panasonic TX-L55DT60/65B
(LED)

SmartVIERA_Plasma_TX-P55VT65B_Web_(404x290)_1_BoyA1001001A13C15B30659B77927.jpg

Panasonic TX-P55VT60/65B
(Plasma)

I'm upgrading from a seven year old Samsung LCD panel, so I'm guessing either of these would be an incredible improvement.

I'll be using these mostly for movie/TV watching, gaming, and 3D.

What do you reckon, GAF?

amrod

I'm really struggling to decide between LED and Plasma. Particularly these two models...

SmartVIERA_LED_TX-L55DT65B_Web_(404x290)_1_BoyA1001001A13C05B63450I38655.jpg

Panasonic TX-L55DT60/65B
(LED)

SmartVIERA_Plasma_TX-P55VT65B_Web_(404x290)_1_BoyA1001001A13C15B30659B77927.jpg

Panasonic TX-P55VT60/65B
(Plasma)

I'm upgrading from a seven year old Samsung LCD panel, so I'm guessing either of these would be an incredible improvement.

I'll be using these mostly for movie/TV watching, gaming, and 3D.

What do you reckon, GAF?

Plasma

Lima

One is a pretty mediocre LCD even by the low edge lit standards and the other is the second best display currently on the market. Their is no choice there.

iMax

One is a pretty mediocre LCD even by the low edge lit standards and the other is the second best display currently on the market. Their is no choice there.

Wow. OK, I was veering towards the LCD, but that's pretty convincing! Does the plasma suffer from any of those stereotypical 'problems' like burn-in or anything like that? And does it handle gaming well in terms of input lag?

Got a P50S60 the other day and just got it set up in my new apartment. Now, my parents have a 50 inch Kuro but damn, if the S60 doesn't look just as nice. Probably cause I have it set up a lot closer to my couch than my parents have their Kuro. Really impressed so far watching some BluRays. Only drawback is the sound, but I just have to hook up my speakers for that.

Just had a Panasonic 60" S60 arrive today. I haven't calibrated yet and probably won't bother until I have put a few hundred hours in but I have turned off all the picture ruining features (e.g. vivid colour, pixel perfect etc). All I can say is I am amazed at how good a picture this TV puts out and it's the cheapest in the Panasonic range. Now I have the second last Kuro (508, elite in US) that has been ISF calibrated (about 4 years ago) but I have now just realised it's time to get it calibrated again. The blacks this screen put out are phenomenal and make my Kuro's look grey (I am not saying this is a better screen then the Kuro, just that the Kuro needs some adjusting). Out of the box settings on Cinema mode (sans the picture 'enhancement' settings) are really good, colours pop, the bezel disappears into the screen I am just incredibly impressed with this screen.

Of course once I turn the lights on, or open curtains the picture downgrades, but I knew that and I bought this as a gaming TV in a light controlled room. So happy with it :D. Crappy picture incoming:

edit I think I need to calibrate my ST50 as well because the blacks I see here are much greater :)

I'm loving the S60, as well. I have black out curtain to control incoming light when I game on it, the picture looks fantastic.

No you won't damage the tv using the white balance controls, they are there to be used for adjustment. I'm assuming here you are talking about the controls in the regular user menu because you can definitely screw up your tv if you go messing around in the service menu if you don't know what you are doing.

That said, however, it is impossible to correctly set white balance by eye.

I think i'll try a calibration disk.
What's a good one?

Yoday

Wow. OK, I was veering towards the LCD, but that's pretty convincing! Does the plasma suffer from any of those stereotypical 'problems' like burn-in or anything like that? And does it handle gaming well in terms of input lag?
Burn-in and image retention haven't been real issues in years, at least not on the Panny Plasmas. I have last years model, and I leave the PS3 cross media bar up for hours at a time all the time, and I have yet to see image retention last longer than five minutes, and even then it is only noticeable if I look really hard during a static image. Burn-in, which is permanent image retention, just doesn't happen anymore. I have had Panny Plasmas for five years now, and I have never experienced burn-in. These problems are a relic of the past that people still cling to for some reason.

Can anyone comment on the Panasonic Plasmas and the stuff I've heard about Panasonic closing up shop? I have a Panasonic 50v10 which is 3 years old now. It suffered from the rising black problem. Is Panasonic going to keep selling TVs with no new research or just stop selling all together? I feel like I want to get the last Plasma they made :3 I'd then go w/ a 55VT60

Poker360

Can anyone comment on the Panasonic Plasmas and the stuff I've heard about Panasonic closing up shop? I have a Panasonic 50v10 which is 3 years old now. It suffered from the rising black problem. Is Panasonic going to keep selling TVs with no new research or just stop selling all together? I feel like I want to get the last Plasma they made :3 I'd then go w/ a 55VT60

I think they will continue to make them for many years to come, personally. Possibly stop researching, but continue to produce.

I sell them at best buy and Panasonic hasn't even been able to keep up on demand for some of the ST models.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can't believe the 60” VT60 was $2000 shipped all weekend from Paul's TV.
Too bad I just bought a couch... I'm sure it'll be on sale again in the future. At least I know what kind of price to jump at.

Omlagus

Yes, i was talking about the regular user menu.
Anyway i think i'll set them to default and try a calibration disk.
What's a good one?

The Disney WOW blu-Ray is quite good with decent explanations. You'll be able to set brightness, contrast, colour, tint and sharpness. To properly set white balance and colour management system you would need to either invest in a colorimeter and learn calibration or hire a calibrator.

There was some confusion earlier this year as to whether Panasonic was ceasing plasma R&D or not. One exec said they were but continuing production, another said not. In any case there will be a 2014 plasma line and in all likelihood R&D will start shifting to mainly OLED. Beyond that we'll have to wait and see.

The Disney WOW blu-Ray is quite good with decent explanations. You'll be able to set brightness, contrast, colour, tint and sharpness. To properly set white balance and colour management system you would need to either invest in a colorimeter and learn calibration or hire a calibrator.

There was some confusion earlier this year as to whether Panasonic was ceasing plasma R&D or not. One exec said they were but continuing production, another said not. In any case there will be a 2014 plasma line and in all likelihood R&D will start shifting to mainly OLED. Beyond that we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, great to hear.

Ocaso

Hey all. Anybody here have a Panasonic UT50 plasma? Nearby Costcos have a few for a ridiculously low amount and I'm very close to jumping the gun, but I'd like to know if there are any issues I don't know about. I'm aware that it's essentially an ST50 minus a screen filter I don't really care about and minus an HDMI port, so I'm cool with not having those features. I also don't mind the lack of built in wireless.

So, anybody have one they can comment on?

Hey all. Anybody here have a Panasonic UT50 plasma? Nearby Costcos have a few for a ridiculously low amount and I'm very close to jumping the gun, but I'd like to know if there are any issues I don't know about. I'm aware that it's essentially an ST50 minus a screen filter I don't really care about and minus an HDMI port, so I'm cool with not having those features. I also don't mind the lack of built in wireless.

So, anybody have one they can comment on?

I have the 42" and it's great, but it's the euro model (has lower input lag than US model and advanced settings including gamma which is quite important, as the default setting - which you can't alter on US model - makes picture too washed out).

If you don't care 3d, you are maybe better looking for the newer S60.

Ocaso

I have the 42" and it's great, but it's the euro model (has lower input lag than US model and advanced settings including gamma which is quite important, as the default setting - which you can't alter on US model - makes picture too washed out).

If you don't care 3d, you are maybe better looking for the newer S60.

Thanks for the impressions! I actually do care about the 3D, and the UT50's so damn cheap I doubt even the S60'd be cheaper. Is there any place with trustworthy lag measurements for this set? I recall reading 31 ms somewhere, which is similar to my current set I believe.

As for gamma, I'll probably take a stab at the service menu if it bugs me. I think CNET's review measured it at 2.1, which is slightly washed out but not too bad.

DomLando

I have been looking into upgrading my TV. I have a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD from a few years ago. I was thinking about making the jump to plasma. I been trying to read up as much as I can. Is IR on plasmas still a real issue? Some people say its not bad and others say they have images stuck on their screens for hours. I watch a lot of sports, Blu-rays, TV in general and play video games. Will this be an issue for me? Is it not worth it to go to Plasma for that reason? Any information would help. Thanks in advance.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I have yet to see a plasma that doesn't have IR. It's just a question of how major or minor it is. The G10 I have is so miniscule with the IR that it's virtually non-existant... and I mostly game on my set with games like Dark Souls that have large static HUDs for extensive periods of time. I've even let my TV sit with the PS3's XMB for hours and it's been fine. Your mileage will vary depending on the model you purchase.

I just bought a 55" Sony 900a over a 55" Panasonic VT60 because the Sony has sub-20 ms input lag which is great for gamers, and because the VT60 does have some noticeable image retention according to reports on AVS. It's nowhere near as bad as the IR on the VT50s though, which CNet has an article about. If your usage is as varied as you say, a plasma is up your alley. There is no beating the picture quality.

Since you game, stay away from the ST60. The picture quality for the price is unbeatable, but the input lag is awful.

codhand

watching the shit out of my st50, tons of marathon gaming, no problems, i think blood dragon's minimap and health bar, represented the only IR, maybe 3 minutes it lasted.

the st60's input lag is such a killer

ThisOne

Any suggestions about which plasma/LCD is the best for the money in the 37-inch to 42-inch range? I don't need the absolute best TV, just the most bang for the buck (would prefer 1080p, obviously. In the USA)

I need a 1080p 40 minimum and 50 maximum TV. I don't know which is better Plasma or LCD or LED or whatever. My spending limit is 500 dollars. Anyway help me GAF you're my only hope.

Roo

So I went to my local Best Buy today and I saw they have this TV in sale.

It is a 46" Sony set, model KDL-46W700A, it went from $1200 to only $820 so I said why not.
I thought they were just trying to get rid of it but it seems to be a legit sale because they have a lot of stock for this model and a few more but Sony branded too.
Now, I tried to ask the guy from BB some specifications like the refresh rate, input lag, motion blur, etc but he was just there, staring at me like if I were speaking a different language.

I decided to do some research and it seems to be a decent television. With some flaws of course but still good to defend itself. Rather positive reviews.
My doubt is.. how are Sony LED displays in terms of input lag and motion blur? The ones they had in the stand looked pretty good to me but I'm sure there must be some tricks going on in the background. I don't really care about deeper blacks and/or color related issues but these three (input lag, motion blur and the refresh rate) are important since I'll be using it mostly for games.

I know I shouldn't be too picky since they slashed the price by almost $400 but still.
Some help here would be appreciated.

kakashi08

So I went to my local Best Buy today and I saw they have this TV in sale.

It is a 46" Sony set, model KDL-46W700A, it went from $1200 to only $820 so I said why not.
I thought they were just trying to get rid of it but it seems to be a legit sale because they have a lot of stock for this model and a few more but Sony branded too.
Now, I tried to ask the guy from BB some specifications like the refresh rate, input lag, motion blur, etc but he was just there, staring at me like if I were speaking a different language.

I decided to do some research and it seems to be a decent television. With some flaws of course but still good to defend itself. Rather positive reviews.
My doubt is.. how are Sony LED displays in terms of input lag and motion blur? The ones they had in the stand looked pretty good to me but I'm sure there must be some tricks going on in the background. I don't really care about deeper blacks and/or color related issues but these three (input lag, motion blur and the refresh rate) are important since I'll be using it mostly for games.

I know I shouldn't be too picky since they slashed the price by almost $400 but still.
Some help here would be appreciated.
Wait, is that the Sony KDL-47W802A in North America. If yes, this might help you.
They reviewed the 55 inch of that TV, and it seems to have the lowest lag of all tv's.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

Roo

Wait, is that the Sony KDL-47W802A in North America. If yes, this might help you.
They reviewed the 55 inch of that TV, and it seems to have the lowest lag of all tv's.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

Thanks for the link.I I'm surprised by their input lag. It is really low.
I don't think it's the same model since I'm in North America and I used the mexican Sony page as a reference (oddly enough, the TV you posted, it's not listed in the Mexican Sony page) so it could be the same (?)

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Apparently, Sony's displays are still hit or miss and the W series seems to be doing good so far. I think I'll get it. Still have the rest of the week to think about it :p

kakashi08

If getting a TV for "movies/cable"
Which one would you recommend. The S60 or ST60 or VT60??
Is the big difference only like the webcam, 3d and extra apps? I will never use them. I'm just looking for the best picture quality that would be under $2500, but if its under 2k that would be even better.

I'm thinking the S60 would be perfect for me since its under $2k and it has really good color quality and if I do decide to play games, it has the lowest input lag out of those 3.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is the big difference only like the webcam, 3d and extra apps? I will never use them. I'm just looking for the best picture quality that would be under $2500, but if its under 2k that would be even better.

I'm thinking the S60 would be perfect for me since its under $2k and it has really good color quality and if I do decide to play games, it has the lowest input lag out of those 3.
The VT is magnitudes better. If that is even in your consideration there is no reason for you to be looking at the s60

ElNino

I haven't seen the VT60 in person yet, but it will undoubtedly have the best image quality between the three. How much better, and how much more expensive is the question.

Depending on the size, the S60 can be found for under $1000 (BB has had the 55" for as low as $800 where I am) and I am seriously considering picking one up instead of the ST60 since I don't care about 3D and don't need the extra inputs.

DomLando

I am really thinking about making the switch to plasma from a 4-5 year old Sony Bravia LCD. From the research I have done,the Panasonic S60 model seems to be the best plasma for playing video games since the input lag isn't to bad. I do have a few questions if anyone could help.

For the most part the TV will be used for Sports, Blu-rays, and gaming. My fiancee also does some basic TV watching and netflix. Is this TV good for me or is LED/LCD a better option?

I also read people had issues while watching or playing hockey games because of ABL. Will this be really noticeable for me if I am "used to" a LCD tv?

Is buzzing an issue with these models?

I read a lot about IR and see it still is a problem. But how bad is it in most people's experience? I don't have to many marathon gaming sessions anymore, but once in awhile I will. I also watch a lot of sports and they have the tickers on the bottom of the screen. How long is to long to watch or play? Am I just worrying to much about IR?

And my last question, my living room has a few windows that would be on the wall that is on the side of where the TV would be. They do have shades on them and I would say during the day it is moderately bright. Will this be an issue for me?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sarquiss_

Looking to buy a TV for my new place and not sure what to get. I used my old tv (32" LCD) to surf the internet, watch movies/shows/streams and play PC/PS3 Games.

Since I surf the web quite a bit on the TV I am leaning towards an LCD but am not sure which way to go. Looking to spend upwards of NZD$1500 (Approx $USD1200).

Have read some good things about the Sony KDL42W800A. Any thoughts?

Leckan

What sort of distance is optimal for a 50 inch screen? I sit about 3 metres or almost 10 feet away from the TV.

Is that too big?

Edit: sorry old thread.

Top Bottom