• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I take the vaccine now?

Take vaccine now?

• Yes, take Pfizer

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • Yes, take Moderna

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • No, wait and see

Votes: 59 37.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters
James Corbett released a breakthrough documentary analysing the current vaccines in the market based on research data, scientific journal articles, and robust journalism:

Also, here is a meta-analysis scientific article that speaks about the clinical trials currently undergoing for the Pfizer/Moderna Vaccines:
If someone were to put a gun to my head and force me to choose a vaccine, I would choose the Oxford-AstraZenaca Vaccine:

Last edited:
I've been kinda sketched out about taking it once it's available to me, mainly because I've been reading too much news online about the side effects people have had, but I found out today my uncle, his wife, and my cousin all got COVID-19 within the last 2 weeks. My cousin is fine, but the others were hospitalized and his wife is still there (3 days so far). They're HUGE Trump supporters and now my uncle lost his sense of taste. It's scary shit, hearing him(after posting all the CHINAVIRUS/SCAMDEMIC memes) say that he was stupid for doing that and wishes he would have listened earlier was honestly kinda shocking. I've had friends and other family who has it. My mum's store has 50/250 employees out because of positive COVID tests and they're literally not letting them just take paid leave. If you don't have vacation, you ain't getting paid. That's why this employer protection crap was a bad idea. of course give them some protection in case of some bullshit lawsuits, but this is a fucking disaster.

Obviously it doesn't affect everyone the same, and the vast majority of people haven't had many problems, but I'm probably going to get it now. Can't be too much worse than the forced smallpox vaccination that got infected. Or maybe it can, IDK, but yeah I think I'm going to take it.

I've been kinda sketched out about taking it once it's available to me, mainly because I've been reading too much news online about the side effects people have had, but I found out today my uncle, his wife, and my cousin all got COVID-19 within the last 2 weeks. My cousin is fine, but the others were hospitalized and his wife is still there (3 days so far). They're HUGE Trump supporters and now my uncle lost his sense of taste. It's scary shit, hearing him(after posting all the CHINAVIRUS/SCAMDEMIC memes) say that he was stupid for doing that and wishes he would have listened earlier was honestly kinda shocking. I've had friends and other family who has it. My mum's store has 50/250 employees out because of positive COVID tests and they're literally not letting them just take paid leave. If you don't have vacation, you ain't getting paid. That's why this employer protection crap was a bad idea. of course give them some protection in case of some bullshit lawsuits, but this is a fucking disaster.

Obviously it doesn't affect everyone the same, and the vast majority of people haven't had many problems, but I'm probably going to get it now. Can't be too much worse than the forced smallpox vaccination that got infected. Or maybe it can, IDK, but yeah I think I'm going to take it.
I'm sorry to hear that, man.

I hope for them a speedy recovery, and no one should be saying COVID doesn't exist because it does. The virus is real and it can create short-term complications, long-term complications, and death among those with deficient immune systems.

The Oxford-AstraZenaca is the best possible option if your doctor isn't allowing Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin prescriptions.

Rat Rage

I work around a lot of vulnerable people

Dude, take it. Getting covid is nowhere near as bad as being responsible for the death of another person. Like you said, you could get it and spread it without knowing to somebody else, who's immune system won't be able to fight it, essencially making you responsible for the death of that person. Imagine what this will do to your psyche.

Dude, take it. Getting covid is nowhere near as bad as being responsible for the death of another person. Like you said, you could get it and spread it without knowing to somebody else, who's immune system won't be able to fight it, essencially making you responsible for the death of that person. Imagine what this will do to your psyche.
This is so wrong to even suggest, let alone state as a moral fact.

Cutty Flam

Banned

I'll give it a full listen another day, I checked out 5 min or so and it's interesting

At first, I was vehemently against a vaccine from March to just last month\. But then I considered the other side of the argument and weighed my vulnerability and the fact that this virus is probably going to claim 3-4X as many lives as the influenza on any given year. I asked myself, would I fall into that category and possibly die and came to the conclusion that it is very possible but I cannot determine how likely that is even with data. So many factors weigh in. So in that sense, the vaccine seems like a prudent option if you question your ability to fight a SARS virus. But in the back of my head I also know for a fact, through experience, that it's never a good idea to trust a doctor fully--no matter how great or prestigious or trustworthy they are. Even the best are going to accidentally fuck someone up, make a mistake, it's going to be the same with those creating the vaccines. Doctors and scientists are fallible; they make mistakes and it will cost some their health maybe even their life. That's how it's always been. There's always a chance something goes wrong and potentially lose your life because you took a shot created and rushed out by big pharma. Who is to say you wouldn't have survived the virus without the vaccine? There are so many important questions to be considering and asking ourselves before coming to a decision

36% saying no and wait an see? Christ, anti-vax really caught on as a major thing huh?
It's not a bad decision to question or even outright deny accepting a questionable and unprecedented vaccine. It only took about 7-10 months to make, these vaccines? That entire process usually takes an entire decade, fifteen years or so. The research and discover phase takes 2-3 years apparently. Because it is here now in a very urgent time, does that alone make the vaccine infallible and for everyone? It's not an easy decision to make, whether or not to take a vaccine. A good vaccine can and will save lives, but even the proven vaccines are not perfect and it is all worth questioning and researching

I'll give it a full listen another day, I checked out 5 min or so and it's interesting

At first, I was vehemently against a vaccine from March to just last month\. But then I considered the other side of the argument and weighed my vulnerability and the fact that this virus is probably going to claim 3-4X as many lives as the influenza on any given year. I asked myself, would I fall into that category and possibly die and came to the conclusion that it is very possible but I cannot determine how likely that is even with data. So many factors weigh in. So in that sense, the vaccine seems like a prudent option if you question your ability to fight a SARS virus. But in the back of my head I also know for a fact, through experience, that it's never a good idea to trust a doctor fully--no matter how great or prestigious or trustworthy they are. Even the best are going to accidentally fuck someone up, make a mistake, it's going to be the same with those creating the vaccines. Doctors and scientists are fallible; they make mistakes and it will cost some their health maybe even their life. That's how it's always been. There's always a chance something goes wrong and potentially lose your life because you took a shot created and rushed out by big pharma. Who is to say you wouldn't have survived the virus without the vaccine? There are so many important questions to be considering and asking ourselves before coming to a decision

It's not a bad decision to question or even outright deny accepting a questionable and unprecedented vaccine. It only took about 7-10 months to make, these vaccines? That entire process usually takes an entire decade, fifteen years or so. The research and discover phase takes 2-3 years apparently. Because it is here now in a very urgent time, does that alone make the vaccine infallible and for everyone? It's not an easy decision to make, whether or not to take a vaccine. A good vaccine can and will save lives, but even the proven vaccines are not perfect and it is all worth questioning and researching
I think you'll start to change your mind once you see post #101.

Durask

I have an opportunity to get it and have been going back and forth, it is essentially a gamble. At this point not sure when AstraZeneca or Johnson vaccines will be available in the US, April if we are really lucky.

Kadayi

Banned
trymui-the-thing-ux-blood-test-result.gif

Alx

My advice is : don't base those decisions on internet message boards opinions (so don't listen to me... or do... whatever :p ).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Even if you do take the virus, you'll have to continue wearing a mask, staying six feet apart, etc...
You can still carry and spread the virus and it doesn't 100% stop you from getting it.
Plus they don't even know how long the immunity lasts... will it be a yearly thing? I heard that they're planning to start giving out more first doses rather than prioritizing the second doses. Plus these are the first mRNA vaccines, right? I'd rather sit back and see how this all plays out rather than being first.

With the way this pandemic has gone, it seems like people are experimenting, guessing, and seeing what works.

At the beginning of the pandemic they were saying that there was no benefit to even wearing masks, then it turns out they were saying it so that people wouldn't buy them up before doctors could get them.

crozier

My brother is a healthcare worker who had anaphylactic shock right after receiving the shot. I think (without a shred of evidence) that the number of reactions to the shot are quite high. It was rushed to market.

John2290

Technically you taking it would break the lines of transmission and save the lives of people who need it, depending on it's effect and efficiency.

Athena~

Banned
I'm concerned that this was Athena's last post... :messenger_fearful:
Thanks for the concern! Just extremely busy at work and exhausted!

So, I took Moderna early last week after doing some research: Biden and Pence took Pfizer, Fauci and Harris took Moderna. Seems like the scientist guy and the real upcoming POTUS are the safer bet, so go Team Moderna!

Wearing my mask and shield(better be careful as random strangers love talking to me)I went to the vaccine site early in the morning and waited in line for about 30 mins, took the first shot(barely felt it)and then waited there for 15 minutes more to see if any crazy reaction came up......nothing so I left. Lots of people there! At least 100+ people waiting to take the tests and then about 20 people waiting to take the vaccine. Pretty dumb for placing all of us together in such a small area tho

About 3 hours after the injection my left arm started to feel sore....a few more hours later I could barely lift that arm! 5 more hours later I started to have a headache and feeling fatigued. Went to sleep for 10 hours straight after that immediately. The next morning I felt 70% recovered, 5 more hours later completely recovered. So the side effects lasted about a day.

The bad news: one of our staffs tested positive even after taking the first vaccine dose(Moderna). 10 days after the vaccine she had a sore throat and headache so she took the test. Another coworker who also got the vaccine 10 days ago started to cough non stop all day so she is now taking the test. Things are looking discouraging, but we must keep going!! Will report back after the 2nd dose in 3 weeks. Take care!

Countries with covid under controlled such as Australia and New Zealand can afford to wait to see the effects of the covid vaccine roll out in other countries.

Im not against vaccine but i would rather wait for more results from other countries who has started their vaccination.

MilkyJoe

I am a health care worker so I can take the vaccine now. But I am not in the high risk group at all - young, good BMI, and healthy. So don’t want to take up the spot of whom actually needs it.

But, at the same time I don’t want to be the one spreading virus to anyone! I work around a lot of vulnerable people so it’s best if I got vaccinated.

But then like video games I don’t care to play them day 1 as it’s always best to wait for improvement and playability patches to come out later. The vaccine has been rushed out so who knows what side effects and what if it turns people into zombie? Maybe wait and see?

Please decide for me GAF!!

From what I understand, the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, it just stops you getting sick with it.

In that case being that you are young and healthy, as long as your patients are vaccinated, there is no reason on earth for you to get a vaccine.

Last edited:
From what I understand, the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, it just stops you getting sick with it.

In that case being that you are young and healthy, as long as your patients are vaccinated, there is no reason on earth for you to get a vaccine.

On the flip side this being a novel disease, we have no clue how the OP will react to the virus. Even with minimal symptoms or none at all, young people are experiencing tachycardia for weeks/months afterwards.

FunkMiller

On the flip side this being a novel disease, we have no clue how the OP will react to the virus. Even with minimal symptoms or none at all, young people are experiencing tachycardia for weeks/months afterwards.

It's really a choice between risks:

Getting the vaccine comes with very minimal risk of serious side effects.

Getting Covid comes with higher risk of getting serious disease.

I know which one I'd choose.

MilkyJoe

On the flip side this being a novel disease, we have no clue how the OP will react to the virus. Even with minimal symptoms or none at all, the vast majority by an absolute country mile are not young people are experiencing tachycardia for weeks/months afterwards.

Fixed that for you.

Take your scaremongering to Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we deal with facts here.

MilkyJoe

I see you’re arguing in good faith here this morning.

I've had it with the bed wetters, cannot tell them, watch the video I just posted, the chances of getting sick with this are minimal, and you still plant the doom crap. People wearing their fear on their sleeve, like a medal of virtue, because they are either too stupid to understand, or do 5 minutes research, or are just good old fashioned cowardly, propagating bullshit because they feel better being scared in numbers. Man up, Sally!

FunkMiller

Why are you posting tweets from eight months ago, when our understanding of the virus has changed considerably over time? You want me to start posting Chris Whitty’s daily Press conferences from the past few weeks that contradict a fair amount of this information?

Why are people finding it so hard to grasp that scientists change their evaluations based on fresh data?

...and besides all of that, the risks of vaccine side effects are far, far lower than Covid risks anyway...

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Why are you posting tweets from eight months ago, when our understanding of the virus has changed considerably over time? You want me to start posting Chris Whitty’s daily Press conferences from the past few weeks that contradict a fair amount of this information?

Why are people finding it so hard to grasp that scientists change their evaluations based on fresh data?

...and besides all of that, the risks of vaccine side effects are far, far lower than Covid risks anyway...

The virus had been in the UK 5 months by then, at the time of this video the "first wave" was coming to an end if not over, they had tens of, if not, hundreds of thousands of cases to use as data to make said statement

_116371892_optimised-hospital_cases_uk_6jan-nc.png

Whitty has said dozens of times that although more contagious, the latest strains are no more harmful than the original

What risks do they pose?​

Scientists are particularly concerned about the UK and South African variants because they seem to spread more easily than the original virus. The CDC notes that there is no evidence that they cause more severe illness or increased risk of death.

So again, lets have some perspective and stop spreading bullshit.

My personal position is that there is no more reason to have this vaccine than the average young healthy person would bother to get the flu vaccine every year.

The vaccine doesn't make you immune, it stops you getting sick if you catch it. Being that is is up to 80% asymptomatic, possibly 50% of people are already immune , and we know the average age of the dead is 82.5 years old WITH chronic underlying end of life illness, I do not think it is cost effective to "vaccinate" the worlds population, let alone take the small risk of the vaccine causing harm, when almost the entire population has an effective, working, immune system.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The virus had been in the UK 5 months by then, at the time of this video the "first wave" was coming to an end if not over, they had tens of, if not, hundreds of thousands of cases to use as data to make said statement

_116371892_optimised-hospital_cases_uk_6jan-nc.png

Whitty has said dozens of times that although more contagious, the latest strains are no more harmful than the original

So again, lets have some perspective and stop spreading bullshit.

My personal position is that there is no more reason to have this vaccine than the average young healthy person would bother to get the flu vaccine every year.

The vaccine doesn't make you immune, it stops you getting sick if you catch it. Being that is is up to 80% asymptomatic, possibly 50% of people are already immune , and we know the average age of the dead is 82.5 years old WITH chronic underlying end of life illness, I do not think it is cost effective to "vaccinate" the worlds population, let alone take the small risk of the vaccine causing harm, when almost the entire population has an effective, working, immune system.

Where did I say that the new variant was more harmful? Seems to be you spreading the bullshit, buddy.

MilkyJoe

Where did I say that the new variant was more harmful? Seems to be you spreading the bullshit, buddy.

I'm saying the threat remains the same, from the video, nothing has changed.

It's really a choice between risks:

Getting the vaccine comes with very minimal risk of serious side effects.

Getting Covid comes with higher risk of getting serious disease.

I know which one I'd choose.

Said Bullshit I was referring to.

As a health worker, a definite yes!

I get that its best to see what happens as time goes by, but you're on the front line, not only you need to be healthy enough to help others, but you must insure you dont get it yourself and spread it around.

A doctor friend of mine took it about a week ago, she had some headaches and body aches in the first day but that was it, she claims thats pretty normal.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm saying the threat remains the same, from the video, nothing has changed.

Said Bullshit I was referring to.

Yes, genius.

I'm saying that the risks of getting a serious dose of covid (any variant) is higher than the risks associated with getting the vaccine. I did not once mention the differences between variants.

Do try to read things properly before mounting your high horse.

MilkyJoe

Yes, genius.

I'm saying that the risks of getting a serious dose of covid (any variant) is higher than the risks associated with getting the vaccine. I did not once mention the differences between variants.

Do try to read things properly before mounting your high horse.
Well, genius, when your chances of being pre immune are 50%, then if not you've an 80% chance of having it and not knowing, and if not there's an 80% chance you have very mild symptoms and if not there's an 80% chance of having to have a few days in bed, and if not there's a chance you might need medical attention.. Etc... Etc... Etc... And if you're in your 80s with chronic illness, you might, might die...

But if not your odds of surviving this are very high.

Tell me, will you get it every year? Are we to vaccinate the entire population of the globe, every year? Do you have any idea how much of an overreaction this whole episode has been, over a SARS virus? The ignorance is astonishing.

QfQswJV.jpg

FunkMiller

Well, genius, when your chances of being pre immune are 50%, then if not you've an 80% chance of having it and not knowing, and if not there's an 80% chance you have very mild symptoms and if not there's an 80% chance of having to have a few days in bed, and if not there's a chance you might need medical attention.. Etc... Etc... Etc... And if you're in your 80s with chronic illness, you might, might die...

But if not your odds of surviving this are very high.

Tell me, will you get it every year? Are we to vaccinate the entire population of the globe, every year? Do you have any idea how much of an overreaction this whole episode has been, over a SARS virus? The ignorance is astonishing.

QfQswJV.jpg
What on earth are you blathering on about?

I said the risk of catching a serious dose of Covid is higher than the risks associated with getting a medically and scientifically approved vaccine.

Why are you punting all this other shit at me?

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

What on earth are you blathering on about?

I said the risk of catching a serious dose of Covid is higher than the risks associated with getting a medically and scientifically approved vaccine.

Why are you punting all this other shit at me?

Are you thick?

The fact is that most people taking the vaccine right now, are not taking it out of fear for themselves, but for the protection of others. It is a sacrifice that they are making for the greater good.

Those that are scared of the vaccine, should wait and let others lead. No shame. They should just realize that others are willing to take risks to help the more vulnerable, and therefore not whine like a little bitch when someone asks them to make the very easy sacrifice of wearing a mask at the grocery store.

DavidGzz

I should be getting it soon since I am a first responder. I have a couple friends who said it felt like their arm was broken the next morning. Anyone else have a good amount of pain? Not skurred.....at all. Just don't want to miss a lift sesh....

SpiceRacz

I should be getting it soon since I am a first responder. I have a couple friends who said it felt like their arm was broken the next morning. Anyone else have a good amount of pain? Not skurred.....at all. Just don't want to miss a lift sesh....

Doesn't feel broken, but my arm was pretty damn sore for about 2 or 3 days. Just around the site of injection though - upper arm/shoulder.

Top Bottom