• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I upgrade my pc and upgrade to what.

I am currently using what I build 4 years ago

I7-4790k
16 gig of ram
ssd
Nvidia 1070

There isn;t much sidegrade I can do since 4790k is about the best cpu that my mobo.

I run dual monitor, one with 1440p for gaming and 1080p for web browing.

Main game I play is ffxiv but I do tend to run some modern games as well.

I am considering upgrading and amd seems like good choice. However would something like 3600 give me observable difference compare to like 4790k? Am I better off getting better cooling and ram for better oc and get a better gpu? I do want to play game at 1440p at 60fps and sometime i felt my 1070 is not cutting it

Hydroxy

You only need to upgrade your GPU, the rest of the system is good enough. You can try to get something like a 2070 Super or 5700XT when its on sale.

Ul9vJPd.png

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
At this point, you might as well just wait for the new cards and then update your rig entirely, or wait for the new cards and scoop up a 2070/2080 dirt cheap. No sense in paying for it now, only to have the value plummet in a couple months.

Either way - wait for the new cards. Not much sense in buying anything right now. 1070 is still decent enough.

I'm currently rocking a Xeon 1231v3 with 32gb DDR3 and an RTX 2070 XC.

From what I've read the new RTX 30__ cards are going to utilize special pin connections, which may result in needing a new PSU also. Best to just chill for now, imho, until we can all get a better perception of the new tech, and how the market adjusts.

Probably. If i upgrade the cooling and the ram and oc my processor can probably keep going for a year or 2 maybe. Then again my mobo kind of suck and have only 1 m2 slot. currently using sata 3 drive

DonMigs85

I would wait for the Ryzen 4xxxx series or even try to wait until DDR5 is out
Also, get something that's at least 8 or 12 cores so you can match or exceed the next-gen consoles

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I have a pretty similar build and i decided to wait. This setup can still go on for a while if you ignore ray tracing and ultra graphics.

b0uncyfr0

Overclock your 1070, if you have a good one, itll be basically a 1080. Memory is more important than core oc once you get to the higher lvl's.

My MSI 1070 is heavily oc'd ; about 2110 core and +300 (9600 i think). It benches at a 1080 and sometimes higher than stock.

Freeman

Banned
If I'm running games at 1080p medium settings I'm fine, once games start constantly forcing me to go bellow that is when I would consider an upgrade.

Only upgrading the GPU will do small wonders, as others have pointed out already. So if you're budget concious, do that. I recommend waiting a bit for NV 3000 / RDNA2.

If you want to spend more money, Intel is hard to recommend at the moment. YouTube and various websites have you covered for great, balanced builds at all price points.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I am currently using what I build 4 years ago

I7-4790k
16 gig of ram
ssd
Nvidia 1070

There isn;t much sidegrade I can do since 4790k is about the best cpu that my mobo.

I run dual monitor, one with 1440p for gaming and 1080p for web browing.

Main game I play is ffxiv but I do tend to run some modern games as well.

I am considering upgrading and amd seems like good choice. However would something like 3600 give me observable difference compare to like 4790k? Am I better off getting better cooling and ram for better oc and get a better gpu? I do want to play game at 1440p at 60fps and sometime i felt my 1070 is not cutting it

Wait a couple of months. AMD will launch new videocards and Ryzen CPUs before the end of the year, Nvidia will have launch the 3080/3070 in September.

llien

Wait till next gen cards (and next gen Ryzen => Zen3!) are announced.
It should be some time in October +/- 1 month.

PhoenixTank

However would something like 3600 give me observable difference compare to like 4790k?
Very appropriate and includes results on a 2080Ti in CPU limited tests:

Short answer is yes + ~20%
Longer answer is consider overclocking your CPU in the meantime and wait for Zen 3 or Rocket Lake. An appropriate GPU should be part of this upgrade, assuming they are out by then.

Ascend

Don't buy a graphics card right now. Wait a couple of months for the new generation by both nVidia and AMD. Prices of current cards will drop, and the newer cards might be a better buy due to the new features.

To me, your CPU is still fine. No need to upgrade that yet. It won't perform that much worse than an R5 3600 most likely. Start with the graphics card, and upgrade the rest in a year or two if you feel it is holding your graphics card back. Otherwise, you might as well wait to build DDR5 system at this point.

Top Bottom