• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should i upgrade pc due to only having dual core i3 (contemplating due to MS buyout and Baldurs gate 3)

I have two rigs one for my bedroom/ work-office and the other for the basement/lounge. Both are around similar builds with similar gpu /cpu/ram.

My basement /pc i game most on:
CPU: i3 -4170 3.7ghz.
Ram 8gb ddr3
Gpu: 1650 OC (1.8ghz) Super 4gb gddr6
512gb SSD (for system and games that need it ie mount and blade2)
1tb HD (for everything else
512gb (old ps4 hd used for backup of ssd).

I was fine with this setup. I only have 1080p monitors and 1080p tvs. I don't plan on 4k anytime soon.
I can run every game I own at max res(1080p) and ultra settings over 60fps. Even mount and blade 2 gets crazy good fps. My other pc has a 1060 gtx.)

I could care less about ray tracing, I just want to be able to play the games with good/decent graphics.

I was going to just leave it alone and then I couldn't pre-order a ps5. Then ms announces the bethesda inquisition (the bastards ruining my plan trying to make me spend money :(
Then i seen Baldurs gate 3 coming out next week. requires a quad core cpu for min specs. WTF.... That game doesn't even look that great from the screenshots and divinity os2 ran fine on my rig.

Do i try my luck with BG3 and see if it actually runs first before upgrading. Maybe they are mistaken in specs ( have seen this before where it asks for more cores but works fine on dual core).
Do you think the i3 hyperthrading will make it work ok?

I was then just going to upgrade with my current mobo, but the prices for gen 4 Haswell cpus havne't really dropped. A i5 is still over expensive and doesn't have hyperthreading plus almost a ghz less in clock speed. i7s for that gen are like 250-$300 At that point i may as well get a new mobo/cpu/ram.

I was looking online and I see the following options for my budget:
i3 - 10100 - 4 cores /8 threads $100 (same # of core/threads as a 4th gen i7)
i5 9400f - $150ish 6 cores /6 threads no ht .
i5 10400 (or f) 180-220 - 6 cores / 12 threads
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 unlocked 6 core /12 threads $180. (but i haven't used AMD since A64+ processors back in 2000s, last amd gpu didn't hold up too long).

If i get a i3 its better than what i have but it won't play future bethesda games to well (if it wasn't for ms and their greedy ways, i would just buy on ps5).
I5 9400f - better price but upgrading seems limited and it only has 6 cores and no hyper threading.

So really for a few bones more the i5 10400 or Amd Ryzen 5 3600 seems to be the winners here. But which to choose? Does anyone have any experience with these two cards?
What inexpensive mobo would work..

keep in mind that i don't play multiplayer, my goal is just to play bg3 and next gen games single player with acceptable fps, not trying to overclock/benchmark, I don't do streaming or any of that. I just want to play future games.

So i5 10400 or Ryzen 5 3600, wait till next year and try my luck on BG3 or get a console (which was already planning on getting a ps5, when available).

notseqi

I have two rigs one for my bedroom/ work-office and the other for the basement/lounge. Both are around similar builds with similar gpu /cpu/ram.

My basement /pc i game most on:
CPU: i3 -4170 3.7ghz.
Ram 8gb ddr3
Gpu: 1650 OC (1.8ghz) Super 4gb gddr6
512gb SSD (for system and games that need it ie mount and blade2)
1tb HD (for everything else
512gb (old ps4 hd used for backup of ssd).

I was fine with this setup. I only have 1080p monitors and 1080p tvs. I don't plan on 4k anytime soon.
I can run every game I own at max res(1080p) and ultra settings over 60fps. Even mount and blade 2 gets crazy good fps. My other pc has a 1060 gtx.)

I could care less about ray tracing, I just want to be able to play the games with good/decent graphics.

I was going to just leave it alone and then I couldn't pre-order a ps5. Then ms announces the bethesda inquisition (the bastards ruining my plan trying to make me spend money :(
Then i seen Baldurs gate 3 coming out next week. requires a quad core cpu for min specs. WTF.... That game doesn't even look that great from the screenshots and divinity os2 ran fine on my rig.

Do i try my luck with BG3 and see if it actually runs first before upgrading. Maybe they are mistaken in specs ( have seen this before where it asks for more cores but works fine on dual core).
Do you think the i3 hyperthrading will make it work ok?

I was then just going to upgrade with my current mobo, but the prices for gen 4 Haswell cpus havne't really dropped. A i5 is still over expensive and doesn't have hyperthreading plus almost a ghz less in clock speed. i7s for that gen are like 250-$300 At that point i may as well get a new mobo/cpu/ram.

I was looking online and I see the following options for my budget:
i3 - 10100 - 4 cores /8 threads $100 (same # of core/threads as a 4th gen i7)
i5 9400f - $150ish 6 cores /6 threads no ht .
i5 10400 (or f) 180-220 - 6 cores / 12 threads
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 unlocked 6 core /12 threads $180. (but i haven't used AMD since A64+ processors back in 2000s, last amd gpu didn't hold up too long).

If i get a i3 its better than what i have but it won't play future bethesda games to well (if it wasn't for ms and their greedy ways, i would just buy on ps5).
I5 9400f - better price but upgrading seems limited and it only has 6 cores and no hyper threading.

So really for a few bones more the i5 10400 or Amd Ryzen 5 3600 seems to be the winners here. But which to choose? Does anyone have any experience with these two cards?
What inexpensive mobo would work..

keep in mind that i don't play multiplayer, my goal is just to play bg3 and next gen games single player with acceptable fps, not trying to overclock/benchmark, I don't do streaming or any of that. I just want to play future games.

So i5 10400 or Ryzen 5 3600, wait till next year and try my luck on BG3 or get a console (which was already planning on getting a ps5, when available).
Wait for AMD Zen3, DDR5 and possibly AMD-cards or the Nvidia Supers.
Not even to buy them, depending on your budget, there will be some price drops too.

edit: And try your luck with BG3.

Last edited:
I've got the 1650 Super and an old quad core AMD FX chip. Still going strong. I think most of these system requirements target the demands of 4K. For 1080p you are good. Series S Xbox should ensure that system demands are kept down for a few more years.

notseqi

I've got the 1650 Super and an old quad core AMD FX chip. Still going strong. I think most of these system requirements target the demands of 4K. For 1080p you are good. Series S Xbox should ensure that system demands are kept down for a few more years.
My Phenom X4 965 BE also did a great job until last years upgrade, even in PUBG. Amazing, really.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I’d wait until the game is out and some benchmarks have been released. Never pre-upgrade for a game. I have done it many times when I was a PC gamer and ended up getting burned.

V4skunk

Banned
Op you need to upgrade your cpu big time.
Might as well save up and go all out. And it isn't worthy buying low/mid end brand new.

Top Bottom