• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

Tekken Producer Katsuhiro Harada has expressed interest in directing Virtua Fighter 6 in an interview witth Hip Hop Gamer. A sure fire way for Microsoft to make a big splash at E3 2018 or 19 is to show us the real graphical power of a true 4K Virtua Fighter. I remember the days when Virtua fighter was the graphical standard bearer. I 'd like to see a story mode that tries to create or recap the stories from the game. It would be nice to see one of those snazy CG intros and those endings that Tekken is known for.

I 'd love to see what Harada could do with the series that birthed 3d fighters.

goldenpp72

Would be a sure fire way to kill the series if it isn't already dead, considering Japan and the fighting base here.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just would not work with the install base of the xbox. Now if they want to dump cash into a sleeping dogs prequel day 1 for me. I see any money hats from now on timed exclusive of multi player games like pubg.

JP

Doesn't seem like a good move to me, the Xbox just doesn't have a presence in the places it would need to for this to be worth anything to Microsoft.

If has to be done then it really needs to be one of the other two console manufacturers.

Bickle2

VF has never had the level of popularity that Street Fighter or Tekken does outside Japan. Too bad, makes me sad. They’d get more mileage out of a new Soul Caliber, andcthen id kick in, not pay for it.

Personally I’d love to see them go for Power Stone 3. Seems to me that could go over big, huge multiplayer, frantic fast action, and endless opportunities for customization options (not loot boxes, just microtrans, buy a hat!)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Tekken Producer Katsuhiro Harada has expressed interest in directing Virtua Fighter 6 in an interview witth Hip Hop Gamer. A sure fire way for Microsoft to make a big splash at E3 2018 or 19 is to show us the real graphical power of a true 4K Virtua Fighter. I remember the days with Virtua was the graphical standard bearer. I 'd like to see a story mode that tries to create or recap the stories from the game. It would be nice to see one of the snazy CG intro and ending that Tekken is known for.

I 'd love to see what Harada could do with the series that birthed 3d fighters.

No, they should spend the money on new IP single player action games.they have killer instinct. And I dont think ppl find ms first party offering would really benefit from a fighter.

MS should invest in

Perfect dark game
A conker game
Jet force Gemini
Shanghiest
Playground games RPG

Absolutely. It'd look stunning on the X. The OG Xbox always was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast so it'd play true to the Xbox's lineage. Another Panzer Dragoon & Jet Set Radio exclusive wouldn't go astray either.

goldenpp72

Absolutely. It'd look stunning on the X. The OG Xbox always was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast so it'd play true to the Xbox's lineage. Another Panzer Dragoon & Jet Set Radio exclusive wouldn't go astray either.

Every Sega game on the Xbox flopped, it may have been the successor for diehards but that group was quite small, and VF has never had real presence on an Xbox platform along with being Japanese dominated. I say this as someone who jumped over to Xbox to get the Sega games, very small crowd unfortunately.

So perfect fit yeah.

ReBurn

Gold Member

A JSRF with cooperative online multi-player where a group of 4 or 5 people could play together as a gang against other gangs would be great. Instead of shooting each other they tag over each other's graffiti or something. Toss in a single player campaign for the old school throwback feeling and it would be a dream come true.

A JSRF with cooperative online multi-player where a group of 4 or 5 people could play together as a gang against other gangs would be great. Instead of shooting each other they tag over each other's graffiti or something. Toss in a single player campaign for the old school throwback feeling and it would be a dream come true.

I personally wouldn't be the target market for that but it sounds fantastic and it would completely work in a post-Splatoon era. Devs, listen to this man. Add in some microtransactions (ew) for cosmetic items and I could see it being a good business case for Sega or MS in the current gaming climate.

Every Sega game on the Xbox flopped, it may have been the successor for diehards but that group was quite small, and VF has never had real presence on an Xbox platform along with being Japanese dominated. I say this as someone who jumped over to Xbox to get the Sega games, very small crowd unfortunately.

So perfect fit yeah.

True. They didn't sell fantastically but they are part of the history of the platform and any hardcore gamer from the era bought them. Funding these kinds of titles again is something MS should be doing as it adds much needed diversity to their game library. I have VF5 on my Xbone & having VF 2017 on there as well would be a perfect fit.

kunonabi

Sega isnt going to greenlight a new VF destined to crash and burn in Japan.

All it needs is a proper arcade release, a timely home release on the PS4 and PC for the west, and to actually evolve in a substantal to way pick up a new audience. They've been too scared to take any risks after VF3 and it's really hurt the series.

I love final tuned and the first couple versions of 5 and all but it really is time to move forward.

JaxBriggs

I don't see MS buying exclusivity for another fighter when they already have Killer Instinct.

It would make more sense for them to fund a single player type game to go up against TLoU/GoW/Spider-Man, etc.

We got that already. It's... okay?

Edit : to further clarify, I'm talking about Crimson Dragon, which is very much a Panzer Dragoon game through and through as well as an actual bona fide X1 exclusive. It sold terribly, btw.

Wait...What?! I've never even heard of it. Well, that's yet another digital marketing failboat. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out. Did it receive a retail release? (I typically only buy physical games).

I've started to realise that there are a lot of quality titles available on the Xbone marketplace but even as a hardcore gamer, they get lost in the shuffle so easily.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
We got that already. It's... okay?

Edit : to further clarify, I'm talking about Crimson Dragon, which is very much a Panzer Dragoon game through and through as well as an actual bona fide X1 exclusive. It sold terribly, btw.

I just bought that after I got the Xbox One X.

It's... Not good.

Bickle2

Hover is coming to consoles. It’s as close to a new JSR as we’re getting, and it’s multiplayer.

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
Not happening. The Xbox brand has never been popular in Japan and the Virtua Fighter brand has never been popular in the US. On top of that you have a console, the Xbox One, that is so unpopular as to be poison in Japan and a fighting series that hasn't seen a numbered entry in a decade.

KingJ2002

Microsoft has Killer Instinct... they don't need to money hat VF6... what should happen is Sega should take some of that Sonic money and have am2 bring Virtua Fighter into the e-sports world... hell... i'd take a F2P version where i get thrown a million costumes a day just to be able to see this game come to fruition.

Since VF's inception it's never missed a generation... I hope that's not the case for this one.

Rising_Hei

Nope, SEGA just needs to put their shit together, try new hot things in a new entry and slap everyone's faces out.

They have it really easy, if they really wanted. It's disheartening to me because it's the 3D fighting series i like the most, they don't rely on juggles and is the series with a more real "martial arts" feeling attached to it.

cuate

Banned
I'm surprised there hasn't been a new one in more than a decade. What is stopping sega? There's been like a million sonic games despite so-so sales and outright bombs.

chaocheebye

Neo Member
Virtua Fighter = Japan focus.

Making it Xbox only = Dead in Japan

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but search within your feelings. You know its true.

Alx

Since it's very probable we wouldn't get a new VF otherwise, I'm fine with anybody moneyhatting it. Although I don't think it would/should be a technical showcase, nor that it requires detailed story mode (seriously who cares about the motivations of each fighter ?).
It would make more sense for MS to fund a new DOA though, since there is some attachment to the Xbox brand. Also the latest DOA had several VF characters and that worked fine, so if they can do it again it would be killing two birds with one stone.

Jetboxx

It would make more sense for MS to fund a new DOA though, since there is some attachment to the Xbox brand. Also the latest DOA had several VF characters and that worked fine, so if they can do it again it would be killing two birds with one stone.
DoA is dead. Team Ninja Dog has killed and raped the series. Seems like DoA is impossible without Itagaki and his guys.

Mooreberg

Would be a sure fire way to kill the series if it isn't already dead, considering Japan and the fighting base here.
Yeah I think it would tank monstrously if it wasn't on market leading platforms. VF5 was on PS3 when it was too expensive, then it was on Xbox 360 at the exact same time as a number of huge games, and here we are without a follow up.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo you want a great fighter (besides smash) for the switch, you know what to do!

You can do this

joanot

Are those guys still around anyway ? I don't remember them releasing anything meaningful in the last 10 years.

Afaik the key figures behind VF, ( Hiroshi Kataoka, Makoto Osaki, Daichi Katagiri... ) are still at am2, working on diva, kancolle...

3D fighting games are already so niche.
Making a console exclusive one,espesially for the lowest install base, is boneheaded.

Also a Namco VF game? You ok OP?

joanot

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

Why should they ? Ms gains nothing from it, same for Sega.

You have to consider the fact that VF is an arcade market targeted franchise, console ports have always been an afterthought.

This thread is comedy gold.

They should pull a Moss (Raiden V) and release it for Xbox just to make everyone facepalm and go along with the now-somewhat-outdated theme of Xbox being the brand for arcade connoisseurs. You absolutely could not argue against that, last-gen, when the 360 was getting its own twinsticks for Virtual On and all the Cave STGs.

Kind of serious: They should put it on Switch... I know it would suck in going against the tradition of each numbered VF being a substantial graphical upgrade, but introduce some new mechanics and maybe no one would care. Would probably be fun AF to take it everywhere you go and randomly engage in local or online matches.

Even better if it coincided with the release of a joycon with a sick dpad, OR, GET THIS and try not to wet your pants: A joycon based on the Neo Geo Pocket stick!!! And with that, this post is NSFW.

Dante83

Banned
VF is more popular in japan where MS is failing hard. If it's a MS exclusive due to moneyhatting, the series would die, and MS would make a loss, and sega too.

Top Bottom