• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

Dante83

Banned
VF was super popular at japanese arcades. If sega were to release the game, it would make sense to release it at the arcades first in Japan where there are still a good number of arcades, wait for a few months, then release it on home consoles as a multiplat with no exclusivity clause with any console makers. VF5 final showdown actually exceeded japanese sales goal in the 1st week for consoles back in the day, but no numbers were given and western sales numbers are not made known by sega, so even as a console game, japan may still care is why it shouldn't be a MS money hatted game since the japanese don't care for MS consoles.

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/06/13...own-has-exceeded-sales-within-the-first-week/

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
VF was super popular at japanese arcades. If sega were to release the game, it would make sense to release it at the arcades first in Japan where there are still a good number of arcades, wait for a few months, then release it on home consoles as a multiplat with no exclusivity clause with any console makers. VF5 final showdown actually exceeded japanese sales goal in the 1st week for consoles back in the day, but no numbers were given and western sales numbers are not made known by sega, so even as a console game, japan may still care is why it shouldn't be a MS money hatted game since the japanese don't care for MS consoles.

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/06/13...own-has-exceeded-sales-within-the-first-week/

True. Sega's Model series has made more than 3.5 billion in revenue, and the lion's share of that was Virtua Fighter, the trilogy.

Arcades weren't very big in the West during the 90's, but in Japan where they were still popular for a while, Virtua Fighter 3 was the number one Arcade game for years.

The passion and the desire to come back existed for many. There were a lot of really hardcore VF players, and I was one of them. I thought they were really good until VF4ish. So if there is a 6, I hope it's more like those games, regardless of who makes it.

Arcades weren't very big in the West during the 90's, but in Japan where they were still popular for a while, Virtua Fighter 3 was the number one Arcade game for years.

The passion and the desire to come back existed for many. There were a lot of really hardcore VF players, and I was one of them. I thought they were really good until VF4ish. So if there is a 6, I hope it's more like those games, regardless of who makes it.
I don't think arcades were unpopular during the 90s,if anything it was the opposite. But they started slowly dieing here around the early to mid 2000s when DDR was taking over and games like Tekken 5 were coming out at home within a month of release.

If any body is looking for a reason to let Harada take over. Tekken averages about 1.5M copies sold per year within 3 to 5 year release windows.

If Sega would have allowed Harada to produce games over the past 7 years he would have sold 10 million copies of Virtua Fighter plus arcade profits which is where Namco makes most of its Tekken Money.

Katsuhiro-Harada-Tekken-certificate-presentation-2_tcm25-493324.jpg

bman94

If they want to compete with other fighting game exclusives, then yes. I would love it personally, but I highly doubt Microsoft would profit much from it. Even a big name like Street Fighter couldn't save it from being a commercial let down for Capcom. Microsoft would probably be better off using those funds to make Killer Instinct 2.

Soltype

If any body is looking for a reason to let Harada take over. Tekken averages about 1.5M copies sold per year within 3 to 5 year release windows.

If Sega would have allowed Harada to produce games over the past 7 years he would have sold 10 million copies of Virtua Fighter plus arcade profits which is where Namco makes most of its Tekken Money.

Mark 8:36

joanot

Sorry but this doesnt makes sense. There are much more reasons why the last Tekken iterations have sold more than VF other than Harada being behind Tekken , one of them being that the Tekken ip has a better worldwide appeal than VF.

Another important one, related to the previuos one, is Namco going all in in the console space with the Tekken franchise meanwhile Sega has been more reluctant about it with VF, hence the VF5FS budget console release.

Ofc Harada has a lot of merit behind Tekken strengths, but having him take over VF isnt going to automatically equal to more sales. VF has bigger challenges to face other than finding a competent director/producer, Am2 has plenty of them.

Sorry but this doesnt makes sense. There are much more reasons why the last Tekken iterations have sold more than VF other than Harada being behind Tekken , one of them being that the Tekken ip has a better worldwide appeal than VF.

Another important one, related to the previuos one, is Namco going all in in the console space with the Tekken franchise meanwhile Sega has been more reluctant about it with VF, hence the VF5FS budget console release.

Ofc Harada has a lot of merit behind Tekken strengths, but having him take over VF isnt going to automatically equal to more sales. VF has bigger challenges to face other than finding a competent director/producer, Am2 has plenty of them.

This is interesting, do tell. Tekken is on tract do what it has always done, sell boatloads of copies. I think fighting games would do well to look very closely at the Call of Duty content model and try to deliver a very similar package on a similar time frame while rotating titles in and out at the same frequency. It wouldn't hurt to drastically expand the budgets to put out much more polished content either. Singleplayer campaigns with all the bells and whistles.

If Virtua Fighter was to come to MS new 4k gaming console, Sega could utilize the creative forces behind the Yakuza series to bring fans an open world Virtua Fighter series. Who knows it might just be that long saught RPG Sega was looking for.
Virtua Fighter has a cast of characters that are begging to be even more fleshed out.

If Virtua Fighter was to come to MS new 4k gaming console, Sega could utilize the creative forces behind the Yakuza series to bring fans an open world Virtua Fighter series. Who knows it might just be that long saught RPG Sega was looking for.
Virtua Fighter has a cast of characters that are begging to be even more fleshed out.

Remake Virtua Quest?

Because I heard remake Virtua Quest.

BANGS

Banned
I wouldn't think it's very smart for a game that sells really well in Japan to be exclusive to a console that sells like complete shit in Japan...

I wouldn't think it's very smart for a game that sells really well in Japan to be exclusive to a console that sells like complete shit in Japan...

Virtua Fighter sells more in the US historically. This statement is categorically false.

Monster Hunter has found success Internationally and that game is well historically more popular in Japan than Virtua Fighter ever was or will be. You armchair analysts.

Schnauzer

Financially it wouldn't make sense. I think I might have already posted that; However, I would rebuy an Xbox One in a heartbeat for that alone.

The Yakuza series has only sold at my best guess 10.5 million lifetime. Taking a guess from past Sega Reports; Virtua Fighter 6 and 7 could do those numbers in 3 years time. How does a Harada directed Virtua Fighter not make sense? Yakuza and Virtua Fighter and Tekken should cross promote each other. I would love to see the Tekken Universe fleshed out Yakuza style too.
G corp Tower was pretty cool. I'd like to see what happens in this building. Too bad Heihachi had to blow that bitch sky high. "In the Mishima Saga, when Akuma and Kazuya fought each other, they fought in the daytime version, but the music from this stage was played when they were fighting".- Wiki

latest

BANGS

Banned
Virtua Fighter sells more in the US historically. This statement is categorically false.

My statement was that the games sells well in Japan, not that it doesn't sell better elsewhere. My statement was not false. I expect a full written apology by morning...

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
No shade on the xbox fans(heck i was all over the xbox 360) But Microsoft needs to Moneyhat their own studios and or create new studios, and not moneyhat 3rd partys. Thats what everyone is saying for the last 10 years.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I just want Virtua Fighter back. Don’t care how at this point. I feel for it to be successful it needs to be on everything. Switch included.

Bryank75

Banned
I always associated DOA more with Xbox than VF. A new Ninja Gaiden and linked DOA would be cool but I don't know how the audience on xbox for these games is today...
VF would need to be available everywhere to do decent numbers imo.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I always associated DOA more with Xbox than VF. A new Ninja Gaiden and linked DOA would be cool but I don't know how the audience on xbox for these games is today...
Same. DOA Ultimate and DOA3 on Xbox, DOA4 on Xbox 360. I enjoyed those more than VF.

Jetboxx

Nah, Team Ninja Dog isn't able to create a good Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden game without Itagaki and his team (Ehara, Matsui etc.).

A little fun fact about Virtua Fighter 5 in the arcades: There were also VF Terminals and cards for player data and customization.

Yup. It would have been much nicer than the way Tekken did it where you had to do it pre-fight, limiting your time to make changes and also delaying the match. IIRC couldn't you also get replays from VF.NET on a PC?

Damn i want VF6 so much...

SEGA and AM2 can still make it, they have a ton of money but i don't know maybe they scare or are not able to make it as good as it was.

They don't really need to evolve the game that much, just a nowadays fresh game (2018-2020) would be fine.

imo Virtua Fighter series is the greatest, the fighting game that i'm never bored of to learn and fight.

Whatever who makes Virtua Fighter 6, if it's on same level of VF2 VF3 VF4 VF5 i'm 100% for that thing.

Yup. It would have been much nicer than the way Tekken did it where you had to do it pre-fight, limiting your time to make changes and also delaying the match. IIRC couldn't you also get replays from VF.NET on a PC?

Yeah I believe VF Terminal was powered by a Windows XP operating system so the player can store his/her personal data and customize the characters. It'll be connected to the VF Net server and be presented as a Ghost player in the game.

I was just looking at the highest rated X-box One exclusives on Metacritic. I was surprised to see that # 1 is Forza and #2 is Killer Instinct Season 3.

I think this is another reason why MS should indeed money hat a Virtua Fighter exclusive. Throw that big budget money behind it. Fighting games have always been a safe bet. I expect to see a Killer Instinct announcement alongside a Virtua Fighter announcement at E3. Ok Roberto Duran?

Sony keep taking that lunch money.

Oddspeak

I'd rather Microsoft give more attention to Killer Instinct, a good first-party series that deserves their full attention, and let Sega keep VF multi-plat. Microsoft moneyhatting one-off third-party exclusives (some of which were merely timed) is what led to them having a trash first-party lineup to begin with. Not to mention, I'm sure that if Sega's planning VF6 right now, there would be almost no overlap between how they'd want to handle it vs. how Microsoft would handle it.

I'd rather Microsoft give more attention to Killer Instinct, a good first-party series that deserves their full attention, and let Sega keep VF multi-plat. Microsoft moneyhatting one-off third-party exclusives (some of which were merely timed) is what led to them having a trash first-party lineup to begin with. Not to mention, I'm sure that if Sega's planning VF6 right now, there would be almost no overlap between how they'd want to handle it vs. how Microsoft would handle it.

Sega has all but run the IP into the ground. They've totally mismanaged it. I would suggest allowing an established fighting game director to take the reigns. I say let Boon do it or let Katsuhiro Harada do it.

Back before Killer Instinct was even a thing, I said allow Boon to director a new Killer Instinct.

Can you imagine what Boon would have done with the series? The gameplay may have not been as well received, but damn he would have sold 5 million.
Part of the problem with the modern fighting game is that they don't like to take risks. If Virtua Fighter comes back it has to shake things us in terms of content and modes. I want a Virtua Fighter blended with Daytona USA. Maybe a racing mode where each mode provides stats and abilities to take back into the other.
NRS is the only fighting game developer that thinks outside the box like that. MS doesn't have a first party lol...

Oddspeak

Sega has all but run the IP into the ground. They've totally mismanaged it. I would suggest allowing an established fighting game director to take the reigns. I say let Boon do it or let Katsuhiro Harada do it.

Back before Killer Instinct was even a thing, I said allow Boon to director a new Killer Instinct.

Can you imagine what Boon would have done with the series? The gameplay may have not been as well received, but damn he would have sold 5 million.
Part of the problem with the modern fighting game is that they don't like to take risks. If Virtua Fighter comes back it has to shake things us in terms of content and modes. I want a Virtua Fighter blended with Daytona USA. Maybe a racing mode where each mode provides stats and abilities to take back into the other.
NRS is the only fighting game developer that thinks outside the box like that. MS doesn't have a first party lol...

Sega's run nothing about VF into the ground. VF5 is still played both in Japanese arcades (in fact, there was a 500-man tournament for the game recently) and on home consoles by loyal players, and both VF5 vanilla and VF5:FS were financially and critically successful. The only thing that's remotely "mismanaged" is that they haven't released VF6 yet for whatever reason.

As for Boon; if anything, Killer Instinct is what NRS's games should want to be, not the other way around. NRS games may break the bank in the initial launch window, but they do a garbage job at retaining players long-term, either casually or competitively, even the most devout pro players would tell you this. Sega doesn't need to bring in any non-Sega staff to make good single-player content. A strong Quest Mode with lots of rewards is more than enough for most people. You even bring up Harada, despite Tekken 7's single-player content being lackluster, arguably second-worst of all AAA fighting games recently; behind only vanilla Street Fighter V. If MS got their hands on VF and decided they wanted to rush VF6 out the door like Sony forced SFV, THEN VF would be run into the ground. Irredeemably so. It's not a risk worth taking.

A game is more than just its sales numbers, which you like to bring up constantly as if it's a direct causation to gameplay quality and mechanical depth. Frankly, you sound like a businessman trying to cash in on the hype of other games despite not knowing how different they are.

Sega's run nothing about VF into the ground. VF5 is still played both in Japanese arcades (in fact, there was a 500-man tournament for the game recently) and on home consoles by loyal players, and both VF5 vanilla and VF5:FS were financially and critically successful. The only thing that's remotely "mismanaged" is that they haven't released VF6 yet for whatever reason.

As for Boon; if anything, Killer Instinct is what NRS's games should want to be, not the other way around. NRS games may break the bank in the initial launch window, but they do a garbage job at retaining players long-term, either casually or competitively, even the most devout pro players would tell you this. Sega doesn't need to bring in any non-Sega staff to make good single-player content. A strong Quest Mode with lots of rewards is more than enough for most people. You even bring up Harada, despite Tekken 7's single-player content being lackluster, arguably second-worst of all AAA fighting games recently; behind only vanilla Street Fighter V. If MS got their hands on VF and decided they wanted to rush VF6 out the door like Sony forced SFV, THEN VF would be run into the ground. Irredeemably so. It's not a risk worth taking.

A game is more than just its sales numbers, which you like to bring up constantly as if it's a direct causation to gameplay quality and mechanical depth. Frankly, you sound like a businessman trying to cash in on the hype of other games despite not knowing how different they are.

The Virtua Fighter franchise has yet to cross the 10 million units sold mark. For such an iconic series I would consider this a waste of a bankable IP. If Sega can't do better, better to just sell it. The numbers point to the fact that they've been lazy as hell and mismanaged it.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Since Fighting games started the migration to home consoles Virtua Fighter has failed to remain competitive.

Mortal Kombat has outsold Virtua Fighter by a factor or 3, Tekken by a factor of 4 LOL, Street Fighter by a factor of 3.5.

business-strategy-adapt-evolve-or-die.jpg

Last edited:

Hanon

Banned
i want them to reintroduce Virtua Fighter to be more successful in the future,

Remake Virtua Quest (it had cool potential, but it didn't work back in the day, salvage it under today's standards)
Start a Twitter account and bring fans together
Make a Manga/Anime spinoff to fill in the blanks
Reveal Virtua Fighter 6 for all platforms that can run it
Make Online for VF6 free

Oddspeak

The Virtua Fighter franchise has yet to cross the 10 million units sold mark. For such an iconic series I would consider this a waste of a bankable IP. If Sega can't do better, better to just sell it. The numbers point to the fact that they've been lazy as hell and mismanaged it.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Since Fighting games started the migration to home consoles Virtua Fighter has failed to remain competitive.

Mortal Kombat has outsold Virtua Fighter by a factor or 3, Tekken by a factor of 4 LOL, Street Fighter by a factor of 3.5.

Just because it didn't sell as well as the literal best-selling franchises in the genre doesn't mean it failed. That's a complete fallacy.
Was The Shape of Water a box office failure because it didn't make as much as The Last Jedi?

EDMIX

errr...I don't know. I want VF6 it exist and if it comes down to it never existing, then sure. Let MS fund the project, but I don't really buy that it wouldn't exist without MS and I don't really think at this time MS should even be spending money on such things, I think they should be spending money in house.

NRS selling 5 million plus games and we got VF fans talking about F2P. WTH

X Blur Style Trailer
X Hire a writing team
X Story Campaign
X Photo Realistic 4K
X 60 FPS
X Tony Ja Inspired Character
X Floyd Mayweather Inspired Character
X Tekken Guest Character
X DOA Guest Character
X Orchid from KI
X CG endings

Print money

Virtua Fighter can be a (for online only) F2P just like Fortnite or DOA.

and it would be big, with cosmetics (costumes, win pauses) and added contents...

Both Tekken and DoA have free to play versions. Neither of those did big. They had leukwarm reception. And VF is more niche than those two. So people at Sega understand this is a waste of time.

NRS selling 5 million plus games and we got VF fans talking about F2P. WTH

X Blur Style Trailer
X Hire a writing team
X Story Campaign
X Photo Realistic 4K
X 60 FPS
X Tony Ja Inspired Character
X Floyd Mayweather Inspired Character
X Tekken Guest Character
X DOA Guest Character
X Orchid from KI
X CG endings

Print money

Im mean, new graphics, blah blah (why even ention 60fps? what of them hasn't been..?) but guest characters and all that crap needs to stay out unless they do a straight up DOA x VF, Fighters Megamix style where I can choose whoever using either game's combat style.

Top Bottom