• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo just cancel Game & Wario for other regions?

sakipon

Miiversketch is like Sketch, but you have one minute to draw a word before it is posted to a Miiverse sub-community automatically.

Right, so this is why some Japanese users have got so many of those doodles in their Miiverse stream. It's a nice idea to share them all in the subcommunity, but not sure if I want them all to my profile. Kind of like Facebook spamming.

BooJoh

Oh, Xenoblade? I guess we'll release it if you throw a hissy fit. Oh, Pushmo/Dillon? We'll put those on the eShop, no real releases for you. Zangeki No Reginleiv? Soma Bringer? Disaster? FE12? MOTHER 3? No, no. Game and Wario, that's the game with the mainstream appeal that deserves a retail release in your region.

I doubt Pushmo or Dillon would've had anywhere near the success they had if they were retail titles instead of budget eShop releases. They're also flagship titles that get a ton of word-of-mouth recommendations that have the possibility of leading new users to the eShop who haven't previously used it.

Game & Wario is part of an established franchise with well-known characters, and while I agree it should probably be at least somewhat budget-priced, it's probably the kind of game that could sell some copies based solely on familiar characters on the box art.

I doubt Pushmo or Dillon would've had anywhere near the success they had if they were retail titles instead of budget eShop releases. They're also flagship titles that get a ton of word-of-mouth recommendations that have the possibility of leading new users to the eShop who haven't previously used it.

Besides, as I pointed out before, Nintendo's digital titles will (seemingly) be getting download cards available at retail from now on and you'll be able to purchase download codes from 3rd parties online.

txt.jpg

txt.jpg

downloadcard.jpg

Colby

Nintendo will eventually learn that you can't launch a game like Game and Wario for the price it's at. It looks like they are beginning to learn; there are some fantastic budget eShop games for 3DS. But it hasn't fully sunk in yet.

zroid

Banned

Are you telling me people are more likely to decry a game as worthless than actually bother to inform themselves about it?

Impossible.

I'm kind of surprised at how many people are saying this shouldn't be released at $60, as if there is a possibility it will be. Has any Nintendo published game been released at $60 since the N64? I can't think of one...

Edit: nvm

zroid

Banned
I'm kind of surprised at how many people are saying this shouldn't be released at $60, as if there is a possibility it will be. Has any Nintendo published game been released at $60 since the N64? I can't think of one...

NSMBU, Nintendo Land, and Ninja Gaiden 3...

But Lego City was $50. Clearly they are not opposed to the concept of a variable pricing model on Wii U.

Are you telling me people are more likely to decry a game as worthless than actually bother to inform themselves about it?

Impossible.

The video of interest in one of those topics had the narrator saying what sounded like "choke on the cock", people noticed, and the thread still fizzled out after a page and a half.

People know about this game. People have seen it pop up in multiple Wii U-centric Nintendo Directs whether they wanted to or not. The problem isn't with people not being informed. The problem is with the game being presented in a way that makes a stale banana look more compelling. And the root of that problem may very well be with the game itself.

BooJoh

I think a lot of the people who are going to get this game already know they're going to get it, and it's not exactly the type of game that warrants a ton of discussion.

On the other hand, when people see a thread with a controversial title like "Should Nintendo just cancel X game?" it's obviously going to get more traffic, even from people who have no interest in the game.

The fact that controversy is more popular than information isn't telling of anything, except maybe that people love to argue, and that's not exactly news here on GAF.

zroid

Banned
The video of interest in one of those topics had the narrator saying what sounded like "choke on the cock", people noticed, and the thread still fizzled out after a page and a half.

People know about this game. People have seen it pop up in multiple Wii U-centric Nintendo Directs whether they wanted to or not. The problem isn't with people not being informed. The problem is with the game being presented in a way that makes a stale banana look more compelling. And the root of that problem may very well be with the game itself.

Listen, man, it's obvious your mind is made up, and frankly I'm pretty bored of this thread.

Before I leave, I will say this: I wasn't particularly interested in this game based on those Nintendo Directs you mentioned, and at one point I was sure this game would be a waste of time. After seeing more of what it had to offer, in terms of content, art, music and humour, I realized I was wrong. I honestly don't know what else I can say, because my own personal experience is the only one I have to put forward. Feel free to believe whatever you want.

daxgame

I just see no reason to localize and further distribute something that's almost assuredly gonna lose Nintendo (more) money and is also something no one really wants to play anyway. What do you guys think?

(Discuss.)

It's not that there's much to discuss, since what you claim is absolutely false.
Of course they should bring it. Not that I'm interested in it.

Katzii

Is this gonna be a thing in every Wii U related thread from now on?
I'm interested in the system but seems like most Wii U related threads are reduced to jokes and drive-by remarks that add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Seems to be that way; sad since some of us actually enjoy the Wii U and would like to discuss it without all the naysayers and doom-and-gloomers wrecking all the threads.

That being said, this should definitely see a Western release but maybe at a slightly lower price point.

PetrCobra

It's one of the games I plan to buy for the Wii U, so... no.

Actually, I'd like them to avoid not releasing ANY game in the West, unless expensive licensing is involved AND it would cost too much to change the game AND the expected sales wouldn't be enough to cover the localisation cost. No more Reginleiv, Captain Rainbow and Fatal Frame IV fiascos please.

extralite

NSMBU is 6000 yen in Japan, NL and G&W are 5000 yen. I seriously don't get Nintendo's Western pricing, it is obvious that the latter two shouldn't be the same price as the former.

To be fair, Nintendo is starting to get really irritiating with the near-complete radio silence on their Q2 schedule for the Wii U. There really needed to have been a Nintendo Direct two weeks ago with dates for Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, and this game. As it stands, the only major release for the system in April is the port of Injustice.

For sure, but what does that have to do with the OP's suggestion of not releasing a finished game because it didn't do well in 1 week in 1 market?

It's an asinine original post, and thread.

Effect

No. The Wii U needs all the exclusive games it gets. However if Nintendo sells this for the wrong price and it doesn't sell then it deserves the failure it gets. It's really that simple. I also highly doubt that a WarioWare style game had a lot invested into it money and time wise so I question how much the failure is going hurt Nintendo in the long run.

The jaded, cynical reallity of the gaming community landscape in general.

GAF is an industry discussion forum as much as it is a discussion about games them self. If you don't like people talking about the industry there's plenty of places you can go instead.

MYE

GAF is an industry discussion forum as much as it is a discussion about games the self. If you don't like people talking about the industry there's plenty of places you can go instead.

I made an observation, I'm not telling people to shut up.

Somnid

They have a good game on their hands, sitting on it does nothing and quite frankly it's 90% localized anyway because it was always expected to be released everywhere at about the same time. The only non-retarded discussion here is how will Nintendo learn from it. There's two problems, people don't understand G&W's place especially given Nintendoland or it portrays itself as a game that isn't worth much. I'd say that if they can't demonstrate it better and it's a hard sell then perhaps they need to approach it like they do Rhythm Heaven and start it at $30.

By the way, I don't think the name is gonna do the game any favors either. The Game & Watch reference seems to be lost on most people, plus "Game & Wario" just doesn't seem to have any oomph behind it.

So...what would you guys have titled this if you had the chance? (Afterall, I think we can all agree that Nintendo did the right thing by changing "Made in Wario" to "WarioWare" when WarioWare first came to the states.)

Davey Cakes

I don't know. I think "Game & Wario" is kind of catchy. Then again, I'm aware of the Game & Watch so that might have something to do with it.

Gamestop has it Listed for $39.99. That seems like a much better price for this game.

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/game-wario/107717

Hopefully the price does indeed turn out to be $40 or less. The Wii U needs to get some pick-up-and-play games out there, but people no longer want to fork out $60 or even $50 for those.

EDIT: Anyways, as already said, it'd make no sense for them to not release Game & Wario. They've already got the bulk of the work done by this point. They're best off just releasing it to minimize losses in the worst case and make some $$ in the best case.

Top Bottom