• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Social Media Platforms Ban "Insider" Scooping?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Social media platforms, especially Twitter, are littered with people who claim to be privy to information pertaining to the gaming industry, such as whether or not a game is in development and/ or when it will be released, or whether or not there will be a games showcase and/ or when it will occur, or when a console will be released and/ or its specifications and/ or its price, etc.

Considering that a lot of these people are illegitimate and that their claims cannot be verified, as well as that - in some cases - they are legitimate but leak information that gaming companies don't want to be revealed, do you think that social media platforms should ban the practice of conveying or purporting to convey secret information from the gaming industry?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Neogaf should just ban people making threads about Twitter "leaks". Or create a mega thread for it so that the cancer is contained.

Outright banning is harsh. The first offense should be a warning, and that would be for only unverified information - not verified information that the gaming industry failed to keep secret.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t see why companies don’t take action when it happens. How do companies address leaks? I remember Sony was handling TLoU2 leakers with legal action. It makes me feel like the industry is small and can’t handle their own issues when people continuously do this. It’s not hard to find online. You read Gameindustry.biz and other serious toned gaming websites and it’s like everyone’s very dense. It’s like the CEOs of these companies are too busy taking their monthly vacation to the islands.

mejin

Neogaf should just ban people making threads about Twitter "leaks". Or create a mega thread for it so that the cancer is contained.

what we need is verified information. Some threads are literally based on horse shit, but are never locked.

PresetError

Neophyte
I'm not in favor of banning anything. People should know better than believing shady sources just because they are thirsty. Journalists and influencers shouldn't spread bullshit information just because they depend on the news cycle, need engagement and they are unscrupulous. Unfortunately, none of this happens.

But I do think gaming companies don't legally pursue unwanted leaks hard enough. Somehow they are giving in to the notion prosecuting leakers is not cool and gives you bad publicity. I have two theories and I haven't decided yet which one is more plausible...

1) Most of the insider leaks are controlled or even encouraged by the companies
2) Most of the gaming companies are scared to death of the social media mob and the Streisand effect

MrS

Banned
Social media platforms, especially Twitter, are littered with people who claim to be privy to information pertaining to the gaming industry, such as whether or not a game is in development and/ or when it will be released, or whether or not there will be a games showcase and/ or when it will occur, or when a console will be released and/ or its specifications and/ or its price, etc.

Considering that a lot of these people are illegitimate and that their claims cannot be verified, as well as that - in some cases - they are legitimate but leak information that gaming companies don't want to be revealed, do you think that social media platforms should ban the practice of conveying or purporting to convey secret information from the gaming industry?
Yeah they should totally take action against people who make claims about video games before they address fake news, racism, alt-right, the extreme left, antifa and cancel culture.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yeah they should totally take action against people who make claims about video games before they address fake news, racism, alt-right, the extreme left, antifa and cancel culture.

This is a gaming forum. Hence, I'm focusing on a gaming issue. Having said that, they do take action against some of those other issues; they have policies that outright ban racism and a policy by which "fake news" is labeled as unverified or untruthful. As for the other stuff, those are not issues but are ideologies that some people don't agree with.

Now, please stay on topic; I don't want this thread to become detailed.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm not in favor of banning anything. People should know better than believing shady sources just because they are thirsty. Journalists and influencers shouldn't spread bullshit information just because they depend on the news cycle, need engagement and they are unscrupulous. Unfortunately, none of this happens.

But I do think gaming companies don't legally pursue unwanted leaks hard enough. Somehow they are giving in to the notion prosecuting leakers is not cool and gives you bad publicity. I have two theories and I haven't decided yet which one is more plausible...

1) Most of the insider leaks are controlled or even encouraged by the companies
2) Most of the gaming companies are scared to death of the social media mob and the Streisand effect

People should know better, but a lot of people don't. Rules or laws are made to address what is regardless of what should be.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Considering how pulling teeth it was to get them to ban anything, including some far less agreeable things than misleading game leaks, i don't think it's realistic to expect them to do anything about this particular phenomenon

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Considering how pulling teeth it was to get them to ban anything, including some far less agreeable things than misleading game leaks, i don't think it's realistic to expect them to do anything about this particular phenomenon
What about NeoGAF itself?

Tschumi

What about NeoGAF itself?
I reckon the "Opinion" tags, and similar, should perhaps be used more forcefully, and maybe they can have different colours, so when a mod labels something "click bait" "gossip" it shows up on an orange tag or something :p

MrS

Banned
This is a gaming forum. Hence, I'm focusing on a gaming issue. Having said that, they do take action against some of those other issues; they have policies that outright ban racism and a policy by which "fake news" is labeled as unverified or untruthful. As for the other stuff, those are not issues but are ideologies that some people don't agree with.

Now, please stay on topic; I don't want this thread to become detailed.
Pointing out how asinine your premise is isn't derailing the thread. Of course social media sites won't, or shouldn't, ban "fake insiders". It's impossible to get social media sites to do things that would actually benefit the masses, which is what I was getting at in my previous post, so obviously they're not going to focus their attention on console wars disinformation when there are more pressing issues in the world at present.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

I wouldn't ban them, maybe thump em upside the head...but not ban. Social Media is not known to be a credible source for legitimate information. If they're leaking misinformation through an actual gaming webpage or publishing company...they'll be fired but not banned.

Griffon

PointedJadedAddax-size_restricted.gif

Bryank75

Banned
No, but Sony should be trying to figure out who this Aesthetic Gamer guy is and who he is taling to... cause he is spreading harmful info without proof and potentially causing damage to the brand.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
No, but Sony should be trying to figure out who this Aesthetic Gamer guy is and who he is... cause he is spreading harmful info without proof and potentially causing damage to the brand.
It would be an absolutely terrible look for Sony to go after 1 person just because they talked a little bit negatively about their new product. That's bush league. Sony must rise above it and let their games do the talking, as they always have.

Last edited:

Eevee86

I doubt they care that much. I'm all for letting the companies control their own message though. Its obnoxious seeing people get asshurt because some idiot looking for some internet fame got everyone hyped up over something minor. A lot of gamers feel like they're entitled to know whats going on in their favorite company and it just isn't the case. Most of the time these leaks actively hurt the company by either deflating hype by knowing something is coming or getting everyone angry over something they didn't want people to be hyped for to begin with.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It would be an absolutely terrible look for Sony to go after 1 person just because they talked a little bit negatively about their new product. That's bush league. Sony must rise above it and let their games do the talking, as they always have.
Id totally send 5 lawyers to his house... he'd shit a brick.

supernova8

Banned
I don't mind insider scoops, what I cannot stand is people like Jeff Grubb who tease the shit out of stuff but stop short of ever really leaking anything of value. Just fuck off with that stuff.

Reactions: MrS
what we need is verified information. Some threads are literally based on horse shit, but are never locked.
Thank you.

I'm getting tired of wading through shit from people like Tidux. He knows fuck all yet members continue to post his shit here.

We even have TimDog of all people being quoted in threads.

Can the mods pull their finger out and warn people or temp ban? Neogaf has become a literal dumping ground for shit from wannabe insiders who claim to be in the know.

Until such trash is limited or removed, the quality of threads based on literal horse manure will continue to spiral into oblivion.

EDIT:
Will the mods even respond to this thread i wonder. Its something worth discussing and will go a long way to cleaning up the forum.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
  1. Force Social Media companies that service billions of people to police their platforms with heavy handed zero tolerance tactics to prevent misinformation being spread across their platforms related to the games industry. This will requires hundreds of millions of dollars in spending, from creating new jobs to developing better automated algorithms, an absolutely unsustainable amount of censorship related to who can or cannot say what, and a change to normalise the mindset that controlling the information that people hear and see is actually a good thing and in no way can be abused to ensure only "correct" information can be shared.
  2. People use critical thinking.
Damn. Tough choice, man.

I think part of the fun of going to certain places is finding leaks. Getting rid of that is just wrong minded and takes away from the value of certain platforms. I want less moderation, not more of what made NEOGAF bad back in the old days.

Horatius

do you have any concept of what twitter's working business model actually is or

no they won't ban that shit lol that is their shit in a nutshell

BluRayHiDef

Banned
  1. Force Social Media companies that service billions of people to police their platforms with heavy handed zero tolerance tactics to prevent misinformation being spread across their platforms related to the games industry. This will requires hundreds of millions of dollars in spending, from creating new jobs to developing better automated algorithms, an absolutely unsustainable amount of censorship related to who can or cannot say what, and a change to normalise the mindset that controlling the information that people hear and see is actually a good thing and in no way can be abused to ensure only "correct" information can be shared.

Twitter has already implemented a policy by which tweets that convey untruthful information are labeled as such or are removed. Hence, they could do the same for tweets conveying "insider" scoops.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Twitter has already implemented a policy by which tweets that convey untruthful information are labeled as such or are removed. Hence, they could do the same for tweets conveying "insider" scoops.
There's a difference between fact checking the President of the United States when he says injecting bleach into your blood stream will help fight COVID-19, and fact checking "@PatriachyFighter247" when he/she/xe/they say Mario Party 26 will have different coloured Yoshis than Mario Party 25. The fact that I even have to explain this is the reason why this thread is an embarrassment.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
There's a difference between fact checking the President of the United States when he says injecting bleach into your blood stream will help fight COVID-19, and fact checking "@PatriachyFighter247" when he/she/xe/they say Mario Party 26 will have different coloured Yoshis than Mario Party 25. The fact that I even have to explain this is the reason why this thread is an embarrassment.

Get over yourself; you're not some sort of bastion of reason. There's nothing difficult about what I've suggested.

How do you suppose Twitter or any other platform regulates certain behaviors? They rely on reports from users or incidental discovery by staff. With your reasoning, you might as well argue that a platform cannot regulate any behavior.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... How do you suppose Twitter or any other platform regulates certain behaviors? They rely on reports from users or incidental discovery by staff. With your reasoning, you might as well argue that a platform cannot regulate any behavior.
We can discuss how they might regulate behaviour after we agree on what behaviour needs regulating.

I'm disagreeing with the entire notion of your premise presented in your thread at a fundamental level. It's laughable, bordering on asinine. It's a terrible proposition, has negative fundamental ramifications, serves no meaningful purpose, and the topic itself - video game insiders - is pathetically unimportant in comparison to nuclear bomb you're talking about dropping.
"OMG! Someone leaked a fake logo of a new Halo game! Ban them! BAN THEM NOW! BAN EVERYONE WHO RE-TWEETED THE LOGO!!! BAN EVERYONE WHO LIKED IT!!!"
Why on Earth did you think you'd get anything other than condescension and mockery for this?

Nickolaidas

In the beginning I thought that leaks were bad because they would spoil surprises. But I keep getting really excited, despite knowing about the leaks beforehand. Knowing about RE2make being revealed didn't hamper my enjoyment of the reveal trailer. Same for Demon's Souls. Same for Resident Evil 8.

I just hate it when fake leaks overdo it. I mean, there's a 'next Kombat Pack' 'leak' about Mortal Kombat every one or two days - it's ridiculous.

As for console warring, it happens without the leaks. It's a natural thing. Console warring is more of a social media problem than a leak problem.

Boss Mog

The better question is "should social media be banned" and the answer is yes. Nothing has destroyed society more in all of human existence.

Gaming companies shouldnt complain about things getting leaked. Its their own fault for token hiring people that are obviously leaking everything to kotaku and other twitter "insider".

Kev Kev

2. People use critical thinking.
Damn. Tough choice, man.
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef keep reading this post over and over till you get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Kagey K

Banned
When most of it is just regurgitated rumours, its not even insider scooping, it’s just helping to spread FUD.

Though you better not question it or correct it, because someone might take it as tone policing.
Right DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi

You sony fanboys are getting crazier by the day. It would be so much easier if you just came to terms with the fact that Sony made an inferior console this time and every multiplaform game will play better on xbox series x.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You sony fanboys are getting crazier by the day. It would be so much easier if you just came to terms with the fact that Sony made an inferior console this time and every multiplaform game will play better on xbox series x.
What does this have to do with the thread? Nothing. Take your pathetic fanboyism somewhere else. Also, an 18% difference is negligible in real world performance. Get out of this thread and never return. You're a complete and utter disgrace to this thread.

Kagey K

Banned
What does this have to do with the thread? Nothing. Take your pathetic fanboyism somewhere else. Also, an 18% difference is negligible in real world performance. Get out of this thread and never return. You're a complete and utter disgrace to this thread.
What a shitty take, He is allowed his opinion the same as you are allowed yours.

That 18% on paper could be a lot less or a lot more in real life than on paper.

We haven’t seen a game running side by side yet, so unless you somehow think your opinion is better then his opinion, you should retract that.

It’s aggressive and unproven.

Zephir

Meh, leaks are funny, either if they're true or false.

Being in the Sonic fandom, those leaks and rumors are always the funniest one. I still remember when Sonic and the Black Knight leaked and everybody tried to prove the promo image was fake by analyzing the pic with Photoshop and finding strange pixels, proving it to be false... And then the day after...boom, announcement xD

Top Bottom