• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony Release PS4 Exclusives on the PC 3 to 4 Years After Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck not? Every game should be on all the popular game platforms.
Exclusives benefit the first parties not the average gamer.
But yet a lot of pc only games are still....pc only despite the ps4's success and attach rate but people seem to want a relatively young platform to gift out the games that builds it's user base? Some of you people are crazy, I for one would not like the user base of multiplayer games to be fragmented across multiple platforms that aren't connected. Out of all the ps4/pc games only a handful are cross platform.

Audioboxer

Sony and Nintendo exclusives should stay exclusive. You want their games? Buy into their ecosystem or be ignored. It's really that simple.

Absolutetly not. It's absurd to claim entitlement to games they funded when you won't buy into their ecosystem. They're a platform holder, so the answer is no.

Well the future is probably going to move more digital based, like PS Now. Which is actually a bigger nightmare for these preservation gamers.

At least with discs someone can rip an ISO of Uncharted 4 and emulate it on their smarter watch in 100 years time. Fully exclusive streamed content? We're going to have to find a way to rip the stream dudes. #NoDRM.

But yeah the parts of the world on crap broadband are the real hero's. Keeping these big companies putting out glorious physical media.

Nudull

Banned
Microsoft has a dedicated OS for computers where they could naturally slip games in that could run under said OS and benefit from that alongside the Xbox. Sony does not.

It's not that hard to understand, people.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well the future is probably going to move more digital based, like PS Now. Which is actually a bigger nightmare for these preservation gamers.

At least with discs someone can rip an ISO of Uncharted 4 and emulate it on their smarter watch in 100 years time. Fully exclusive streamed content? We're going to have to find a way to rip the stream dudes. #NoDRM.

I wasn't talking about preservation, but I agree that all digital and streaming is a negative trend. Of course, if people put their money where their mouth is, it won't happen anyways. It seems inevitable, but if its rejected it doesn't have to be.

There was a time when Sony thought they could make the PS4 digital only. I could try to dig up the link from 2006.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with exclusives, and there'd be no point to a console without them, quite frankly.... A misguided sense of entitlement means nothing.

Audioboxer

I don't want to spend 300+Whatever the disks cost for 3-5 games. I got burned that way last gen.

So this time around wait until the end of the generation and buy 2nd hand for peanuts? If the point you are trying to make is that you cannot justify spending money on a box to play a handful of games.

I mean if it is just a handful of games then why is it even a deal for you? Missing out on 3-5 exclusives? In a world where people tend to have back catalogues of 100 games this seems like nothing...

This thread is hilarious. No one knows what actual port begging means and why is it bad but everyone is repeating it as some extreme form of taking offense. (which I find very funny)

I don't want to spend 300+Whatever the disks cost for 3-5 games. I got burned that way last gen.

Just going to quote this again because it holds true.

If you venture outside of GAF and GameFAQs you'll quickly see that the PC platform is pretty much the go-to for most gaming discussions communities out there, especially reddit and 4chan. It doesn't really surprise me that there's been a rise in threads like these. An entire zeitgeist raised on steam sales and >90% of major titles seeing an eventual steam release couldn't be expected to act much differently.

But yeah, "catalog-begging", I like that term. It really captures the weird memetic aspect of how PC fanboys internalize certain attitudes w/r/t that don't come up in console fanbases. So much gets thrown around about "open platform" and "anti-consumer" and whatnot that it starts to be applied in weird ways to justify - convincingly in the eyes of the complainer, I'm pretty sure - what's actually just plain port-begging that wouldn't benefit the would-be porting company financially the way they seem to think.

Anyways, I've run my mouth ITT way too much as it is, gonna leave it at that.

Audioboxer

Seems Microsoft didn't understand this. I put my xbox one for sale; whats the point if its all coming to pc...

Well at worst all you're doing is moving from one MS ecosystem to another. MS still wins.

At best if you had kept your XB1 as well they'd have you on two ecosystems. I'm sure things such as crossbuy have them feeling most people will be going at it on PC and Xbox. PCs for the most part don't tend to be hooked up to living room TVs. Or even bedroom TVs. So its a safe bet to think those that shift more to PC now may still keep an XB1 under the TV for crossbuy.

Sony don't have that luxury on PC. It's not Sony Windows.

Con_Smith

Banned
Save that shit for Microsoft, a company who struggle with identity in the gaming space.

Sony has too much to lose doing something like this especially when they are pulling the market share they have. The only thing PC related I would love to see is the Valve love they flirted with during the Portal 2 release.

Sony and Nintendo exclusives should stay exclusive. You want their games? Buy into their ecosystem or be ignored. It's really that simple. The exclusives are a big reason I buy Sony consoles, and the only reason I buy Nintendo's, and that's pretty normal.

GAF, no means no.

Absolutetly not. It's absurd to claim entitlement to games they funded when you won't buy into their ecosystem. They're a platform holder, so the answer is no.
Jesus calm down.
So this time around wait until the end of the generation and buy 2nd hand for peanuts? If the point you are trying to make is that you cannot justify spending money on a box to play a handful of games.

I mean if it is just a handful of games then why is it even a deal for you? Missing out on 3-5 exclusives? In a world where people tend to have back catalogues of 100 games this seems like nothing...
That's what I will do eventually as I said earlier.
I doesn't mean much to me but I would prefer to play them in my platform of choice even if it gets them much later.
Why do people hate so much the idea of exclusives being made available elsewhere?

lynux3

No. There is no benefit to releasing their games on the PC and doing so would slowly kill the console as a viable platform for gaming.

bunkitz

I would like it in that it would allow more people to play these great exclusives, but it would devalue the PlayStation as a console, so I don't think they should do that. It wouldn't sit well with plenty of fans either, I think. I, for one, would feel very conflicted due to the former and the fact that I'm very loyal to PlayStation and want it to be successful and have its own exclusives and selling points.

Tyrus

Banned
Why do people hate so much the idea of exclusives being made available elsewhere?

The entire point of an exclusive is to be gaming software unique to the console. This is why we buy Nintendo and PlayStation consoles. How hard is it to understand?

It's not that everyone hates the idea, it's just people are telling you what an exclusive is. If every game was available on PC and multiple consoles, we wouldn't have all of these consoles. Nintendo wouldn't be known for Mario/Metroid/Zelda/everything else, PlayStation wouldn't be known for The Last of Us/God of War/LBP/Ratchet and Clank/etc.

Microsoft are going this PC/Windows 10 route because they're losing on the XBO-only front and have the storefront on PC to do so. They're invested to make it big on both platforms. The other two console makers aren't. Very, very simple.

NastyBook

PC gamers don't give a shit about PC exclusives, because they're not fighting in some "exclusives war", this is a thing only for console fanboys who want justify their console purchase. Actually, every normal gamer don't give a shit if game he love exclusive or not.
Uh huh. There was a dude on here salty as fuck that PS4 was getting Killing Floor 2. Went on to say that support for the PS4 version would probably go the same way it did for Payday 2, in some twisted form of damage control. The street definitely goes both ways.

Uh huh. There was a dude on here salty as fuck that PS4 was getting Killing Floor 2. Went on to say that support for the PS4 version would probably go the same way it did for Payday 2, in some twisted form of damage control. The street definitely goes both ways.
nuh uh breh, PC games are just more enlightened than that silly console peasantry!

lolololol

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I dont think they will gain anything from it. Unless there is a PlayStation type store/hub on iOS, Android and Windows where you buy and play Sony games.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Well at worst all you're doing is moving from one MS ecosystem to another. MS still wins.

At best if you had kept your XB1 as well they'd have you on two ecosystems. I'm sure things such as crossbuy have them feeling most people will be going at it on PC and Xbox. PCs for the most part don't tend to be hooked up to living room TVs. Or even bedroom TVs. So its a safe bet to think those that shift more to PC now may still keep an XB1 under the TV for crossbuy.

Sony don't have that luxury on PC. It's not Sony Windows.

Removing the exclusives just makes sure I will not bother with their consoles. At this point selling it seems like the best solution for me.

Better resolution and all exclusives on pc? Sounds like I don't need an xbox one any longer...

Audioboxer

Jesus calm down.

That's what I will do eventually as I said earlier.
I doesn't mean much to me but I would prefer to play them in my platform of choice even if it gets them much later.

Well to answer for myself, I don't hate the idea. What is there to hate? All in all though I'm simply realistic about why the industry is how it is.

You wouldn't buy the console if games came to PC 2-3 years after the console release?

And who is going to fund that port, maintain it via servers and patches and do the marketing? If your answer is Sony ask yourself how much it is worth to port a game 3 years after release and do all of that maintainance on a platform your competitors own (Windows, Microsoft, Steam, Valve).

Removing the exclusives just makes sure I will not bother with their consoles. At this point selling it seems like the best solution for me.

Better resolution and all exclusives on pc? Sounds like I don't need an xbox one any longer...

Fair enough, but I don't think MS are betting on everyone being like that. Even if a decent percentage you still fall in the category of moving from one MS product to another. Xbox to Windows.

the first party games are not there to make money (apart from some exceptions like Uncharted, Gow) but to push hardware

Shuhei Yoshida himself said, that out of 10 exclusives only 4 make money (just google it)

So no OP - this won't happen

Audioboxer

the first party games are not there to make money (apart from some exceptions like Uncharted, Gow) but to push hardware

Shuhei Yoshida himself said, that out of 10 exclusives only 4 make money (just google it)

So no OP - this won't happen

When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

There are lots of opportunities. There are so many projects that we want to do, and especially there are so many different techs, platforms and or devices that we can release games, but we have finite resources and budget, we have to make selection choices.

One of the things we always come back to when we’re looking at five potential projects is that we choose the team we believe in when we start working with a new team. That’s really really important.

From here apparently http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=179604&l=event

Avari

I honestly think only a very small portion of console buyers think this way. I play primarily on consoles because I want to - exclusives are a very small part of the decision.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
watching corporate zealots authoritatively extend their bony palms to present the phrase "port begging" as if it holds some kind of moral weight is one of the sadder sights on this board.

i'm no GAF historian, but the ban came about because it killed conversation. threads on newly announced became derailed within a couple of posts and melted into a shitfight.

to see people try and summon its name in a transparent attempt to completely shut down conversation over the innately anti consumer nature of platform exclusives, and their place in an industry where increasingly the ecosystem is king, is a tragic and desperate thing to behold. invoking the ban in an attempt to do the exact opposite of what it was put in place to do.

Tyrus

Banned
You wouldn't buy the console if games came to PC 2-3 years after the console release?

Did you not read what you quoted from my post?

It's pointless to answer your question because, again, the whole point of exclusives is they're meant to be unique, compelling gaming experiences only found on a particular console (or brand/ecosystem, if you take into account remasters and BC). They're not coming 2-3 years later at all.

At least from PlayStation and Nintendo's camp. Microsoft/Xbox is a different story, and their latest shift is confusing PC gamers into thinking they now deserve everything, missing the point of how and why (certain) consoles flourish in the first place.

Krakn3Dfx

which console manufacturer would ever be dumb enough to release their own games on pc

tumblr_lmpdixbFDm1qdt7kvo1_500.png

Nah, Demons Souls still sells a few PS3s here and there to people who jumped in are the Dark Souls franchise and want to go back to play the original.

They should just port Demons Souls to PS4 is all I'm saying.

Yes. Ideally, I'd like to see all games come to the PC in the future. It's really a pain in the ass to be "forced" into buying two or three $400 boxes every generation for a handful of exclusive games, especially when I can just put that money toward a few upgrades that'll make those same games look and run better.

When I buy a movie, I can watch it on any device. I know software is a different beast, but I'd like to video games to reach this point one day.

Fraxin

Yes. Ideally, I'd like to see all games come to the PC in the future. It's really a pain in the ass to be "forced" into buying two or three $400 boxes every generation for a handful of exclusive games, especially when I can just put that money toward a few upgrades that'll make those same games look and run better.

When I buy a movie, I can watch it on any device. I know software is a different beast, but I'd like to video games to reach this point one day.

One day we might be streaming all this just like Netflix, so you wouldn't get worried to put your money on unnecessary upgrades.

JordanN

Banned
watching corporate zealots authoritatively extend their bony palms to present the phrase "port begging" as if it holds some kind of moral weight is one of the sadder sights on this board.

i'm no GAF historian, but the ban came about because it killed conversation. threads on newly announced became derailed within a couple of posts and melted into a shitfight.

to see people try and summon its name in a transparent attempt to completely shut down conversation over the innately anti consumer nature of platform exclusives, and their place in an industry where increasingly the ecosystem is king, is a tragic and desperate thing to behold. invoking the ban in an attempt to do the exact opposite of what it was put in place to do.

"I'm looking to own a car."
"Head this way sir, we got some new selections starting at $10,000"

"Wait, you charge money for it? ANTI-CONSUMER. ANTI-CONSUMER."

QaaQer

I think the goal is to make games that sell well. All of them. When a game flops, that hurts financially. If it was a huge tentpole title meant to move units, it hurts strategically too. I get where you are coming from, but the sheer size of the market would help minimize risk. If you were releasing games to a market that is two or three times bigger, the odds a game sells well enough to turn a profit go up. A lot of 'meh' games do good business on Steam simply because they're on a platform with a ton of users and easy to buy. I don't think Sony would start picking and choosing what types of games to make based on what sells anymore than they already do. If the hardware starts to be risky or ultimately not worth it, they'll move to PC and do really well.

Pffft. There is way more money in a platform than just software because you make money from other people's work risk free. Apple makes bank because ios is a plaform. Nintendo made bank with the DS and Wii because they were platforms. Do you think Nintendo would have made more money in the ds/Wii years of they sold their games on other platforms? Why does apple pay companies like ea to delay or keep some software off Android? Quality exclusives matter.

MS is trying to turn Windows into a platform to make more money and they are willing to sacrifice their console to do it. Just selling games is small potatoes and high risk.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
They won't do it, because the whole point of exclusives is to get someone locked into the ecosystem of the platform holder.

Microsoft has a stake in Windows, so them allowing Xbox exclusives to appear on OC is still locking the consumer into the Microsoft/Xbox ecosystem.

Sony keeps their PlayStation exclusives locked to PlayStation consoles, because they know that once a consumer has purchased your platform, and bought a few exclusives, it's easier for them to stay with said platform, thus making you money. Platform holders make money off of software sold right? And not just first party software. Third party software comes with licenses and other fees that generate income. Every little bit of profit adds up. A copy of a third party game sold on Xbox ONE doesn't make money for Sony.

A copy of a third party game sold on PS4 or PS3, or Vita does. So, how do they get consumers to be locked into purchasing titles for their platform? By enticing them to pick up said platform with exclusive titles.

I bought my PS3 before I got a 360. By the time I got the 360, I had purchased dozens and dozens of first and third party titles on my PS3, both digital and physical. By that point, I had become so accustomed to purchasing and playing on my PS3, that my desire to purchase non-exclusives on the Xbox 360 was practically non-existent.

I have a gaming PC and a PS4 currently. I tend to buy all of my games on my PS4, including third party multuplats, because it's easier and simpler for me to do so, not to mention that I can share the games I buy on my PS4 with my wife's PS4, so I don't have to buy two copies of the game for us to play (I bought Fallout 4 digitally, for example, so we didn't have to fight over it. I kind of wish I had bought Dark Souls 3 digitally, because she plays it more than I do, but we have the single disc version).

Sony just makes more money by keeping you buying their platforms, and locked into their platforms. Exclusives are really the only way to pull consumers to their side. If they released their titles on PC, even after a console exclusivity period, it would start to erode consumer faith in the brand, and potentially hurt the initial sales of the franchises. Not to mention they'd lose out on that third party money if they ever decided to drop producing console hardware for some insane reason.

I think, what many people seem to gloss over is that the money Sony got from third party licensing and ps plus subscription is more important to Sony than the money they got from game sales.

Porting your exclusive games on pc will only add more money from 1st party game sales, and potentially damage big time the money they got from third party licensing and os plus subs.

Also, if Sony care so much about 1st party game sales, they wouldn't invest on the more weird and niche games like The Last Guardian, Quantic Dreams, and many other weird digital games they had like Journey. You know, the stuff we actually like and really appreciate Sony to invest.

Porting their exclusives to PC is not helping Sony. They may nake more money from 1st party game sales, but will lose out in potential lost ps subs and third party game sales on their platform.

Why? So the same PC users that say consoles are shit can pick up the games they talk shit about, so that they can talk shit about how consoles are even more pointless?

PS4 or Playstation as a brand would diminish in value.

12 pages of shameless port begging. Shows how amazing Sony's E3 conference was..

The same thing would happen if this was about Nintendo exclusives going to the PC and the PS4. Call it strange but some actually wouldn't mind having one system to play all games. It sure would make things a lot easier. Mind you it will never happen any time soon but we can dream can't we?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Nope. Knowing that a game will never come to PC is incentive to buy a PS4. Knowing that it might come eventually is incentive to wait. PC gamers have already been trained extensively in the waiting game by seasonal Steam sales. If it is a singleplayer game we don't need it at release when we can wait a year, get all the patches, all the content updates, and get it for half or less of the release price.

DeadTrees

watching corporate zealots authoritatively extend their bony palms
to see people try and summon its name in a transparent attempt to completely shut down conversation
And what a great conversation this has been!

"I think PC should have all the games."
"I think that's an unrealistic expectation."
"Fuck you, corporate zealot with your bony-ass palms."
"Shut up asshole."

Repeat x 50,000.
the innately anti consumer nature of platform exclusives
That reminds me, whatever did happen to Red Orchestra 2 and Shattered Horizon, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom