• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should The Xbox Controller finally incorporate a motion sensor?

Jubenhimer

When it comes to the controllers for its flagship console line, Microsoft's philosophy with Xbox is a simple "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". To this day, The Xbox Controller has barely evolved in terms of functionality and technology. While Nintendo keeps pushing the boundaries of controller inputs and functionality with its array of wildly different controllers each system, and Sony has gradually built on the capabilities of its flagship DualShock with big new additions and inputs, Microsoft usually only makes minimal changes and improvements. What new features they do add are either subtle like the Impulse Triggers on the Xbox One controller, or are aped from other consoles such as the new share button on the Series X controller (Which, they're actually the last to add BTW).

One feature Microsoft still hasn't added to their controllers was any sort of motion or gyro sensor, something which Nintendo and Sony's controllers have had for years. Now, I understand there's some "LOL Waggle" stigma attached to the input. But in the case of a standard controller form-factor like the Xbox Controller, having a motion sensor would actually be a god send. That's mainly for one genre, Shooters. As anybody with a Nintendo Switch or a Steam Controller will tell you, subtly adjusting your wrist to aim in addition to broader movements with the right stick is a level of precision and control that's only second to a mouse. It's even starting to catch on with PlayStation gamers. Yet for some baffling reason, it's not included in the controllers for Xbox, a Platform which would especially benefit from this addition seeing as much of its library consists of shooters.

With the Series X Controller, do you feel Microsoft should recognize that gyro isn't going away anytime soon, and just incorporate it into the new controller? With all three major platforms supporting the feature, maybe now developers can make gyro aim standard across all platforms.

Andodalf

Banned
Not unless they offer VR. it's just something that most games won't use. Gyro aming can be cool, I really liked it on some vita titles, but the quality varies so much.

I'm pretty sure most developers would love gyro as an input they can use, most Switch developers use the feature. So if Microsoft finally adds it to their controller, it may incentivize its use more in shooters.
Why do Xbox have to do it ain't the PS4 the leading platform for the devs this gen and dont the PS4 controller have Motion Sensor in it already im asking cause im primarily game on PC nowdays so if the devs don't use it already what make you think they will use it if Xbox add it it a gimmick.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Why do Xbox have to do it ain't the PS4 the leading platform for the devs this gen and dont the PS4 controller have Motion Sensor in it already im asking cause im primarily game on PC nowdays.

Having the feature standard across all the major platforms, would incentivize developers to use it more since all the versions will have the same control options available. And that's what it is, an option in most cases. You can turn it off if you want, but there's little excuse why it shouldn't be included at this point.

NO! It's already the best controller, keep it simple and staight forward, the less gimmicks he better.
No thanks. Don’t need a feature that 90% of the developers never use. Just waste of battery

Never liked this whole gyro rubbish and never will. Oh and its turned off in my Switch

You don't have to use it in most games that would support it. But it should be an option for those who want it, which is more than you realize.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I’d take paddles over this rubbish. But sure, no harm in having it as an optional feature.

This is what I mean. It should be a standard feature included in case developers and gamers wish to use it. This isn't like the Wii Remote, where the entire controller was designed around this input. It'd just be another tool in the tool box to use in certain games that you can use if you want to or not.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This is what I mean. It should be a standard feature included in case developers and gamers wish to use it. This isn't like the Wii Remote, where the entire controller was designed around this input. It'd just be another tool in the tool box to use in certain games that you can use if you want to or not.
Yeah I got you Jube. That’s why I said its alright if its an optional feature.

Vawn

Banned
It doesn't already? I thought every modern controller had motion sensing capabilities. I guess that shows how much I use my Xbox this generation. When I recently played Ori 2 on it, I had totally forgot thime controller still runs on AA batteries.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
When it comes to the controllers for its flagship console line, Microsoft's philosophy with Xbox is a simple "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". To this day, The Xbox Controller has barely evolved in terms of functionality and technology. While Nintendo keeps pushing the boundaries of controller inputs and functionality with its array of wildly different controllers each system, and Sony has gradually built on the capabilities of its flagship DualShock with big new additions and inputs, Microsoft usually only makes minimal changes and improvements. What new features they do add are either subtle like the Impulse Triggers on the Xbox One controller, or are aped from other consoles such as the new share button on the Series X controller (Which, they're actually the last to add BTW).

One feature Microsoft still hasn't added to their controllers was any sort of motion or gyro sensor, something which Nintendo and Sony's controllers have had for years. Now, I understand there's some "LOL Waggle" stigma attached to the input. But in the case of a standard controller form-factor like the Xbox Controller, having a motion sensor would actually be a god send. That's mainly for one genre, Shooters. As anybody with a Nintendo Switch or a Steam Controller will tell you, subtly adjusting your wrist to aim in addition to broader movements with the right stick is a level of precision and control that's only second to a mouse. It's even starting to catch on with PlayStation gamers. Yet for some baffling reason, it's not included in the controllers for Xbox, a Platform which would especially benefit from this addition seeing as much of its library consists of shooters.

With the Series X Controller, do you feel Microsoft should recognize that gyro isn't going away anytime soon, and just incorporate it into the new controller? With all three major platforms supporting the feature, maybe now developers can make gyro aim standard across all platforms.

Fuck any kind of motion controls really hard. They never work. You are always constantly having to recenter gyro controls. It's a complete nightmare.

abcdrstuv

Banned
In theory? Not weighing in

in practice? Microsoft is lucky they’ve only been outclassed by Sony on their controller - a redesign or an alternative model are relatively easy to do. Paddles, haptic triggers, gyroscopes, a microphone.. They could even make those options for designing your own controller online.. Add paddles, 4.99, add haptic triggers, 9.99..

Mad_Titan

Neo Member
The only time I've ever enjoyed gyro controls is with the PS4 onscreen keyboard. I can type way faster using gyro vs normal control methods. Other than that its useless to me.

Radical_3d

I play Sony mainly and when I get my Xbox I don’t miss that functionality at all. I do miss quality face buttons and a god damned battery in the XXI century. But not a gimmick.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
People that say gyro is useless and a gimmick really don’t have a single clue what they are talking about. Perhaps it’s the age!?

Combining gyro and sticks is the best way to play shooters on console by far. It is just as much of an improvement since OG Halo introduced the two stick layout

BlackTron

I've found gyro doesn't have many applications where the alternative wouldn't have been better anyway. But for those rare times it fits, it should be part of the kit.

The only motion control I feel ever worked really well is the Wiimote's IR pointer. Having the real-life reference point of the sensor bar made it precise and reliable. Gyro offers far more options (see: difference between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) but none of them feel as solid and legitimate as the IR pointing. Plus he calibration is always slowly careening off until needing to be calibrated altogether.

Being able to refine my aim in BOTW with the gyro was a LOT better than nothing, but what I really want are HD games with the IR pointer. How TF am I supposed to enjoy Resident Evil after that Wii game? Motion controls have legitimately great uses but I feel that's been diminished into gyro which just kinds of does many things meh instead of only one thing really good.

Last edited:
K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
Even if they added, it seems devs would just keep ignoring it (see ps4).

That’s why I only play shooters on PC (or on a nintendo console).

Jubenhimer

Even if they added, it seems devs would just keep ignoring it (see ps4).

That’s why I only play shooters on PC (or on a nintendo console).

I recon the reason its ignored on PS4 half the time is to maintain feature parity with the Xbox One. Having the PS4 version offer a superior control input for aiming would be an unfair advantage over Xbox One gamers. At least, that's how they might see it. I think Sony needs to incentivize its use more for the PS5.

nobody will use it just like nobody really took advantage of the touch pad on ps4. (Detroit did make good use of it but barley anyone else.) or HD rumble on x1 or switch

if it doesn't increase the price i dont see why MS wouldn't include it. It just gives developers more options and opportunities to add depth to thier games. Now what the devs do with it thats up in the air, but atleast give them the option.

Pallas

Unless their first party games are going to utilize it then no, it’ll be dead weight. You can see how many devs utilized the DS3/DS4 controllers for it, not a lot and while I have no idea if this is an issue but if it drains battery life more, that’s another nail in the coffin.

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
I recon the reason its ignored on PS4 half the time is to maintain feature parity with the Xbox One. Having the PS4 version offer a superior control input for aiming would be an unfair advantage over Xbox One gamers.

I'll disagree. When games like uncharted and horizon don't give the option, there's something really weird going on.

Many MP games on PS4 (actually I think it's the majority of them) don't even have cross-platform and even then there's no gyro option there (and some of these games get gyro aim on switch lol).

I believe devs know that if they implement gyro on PS4 (and there's no cross-platform MP) that will be a problem, because gyro players will destroy those who only aim with outdated sticks. Them players will cry on the internet asking to devs to add a filter, which will impact over the player base.

Players on Xbox and playstation seems to have a very old mind lol
They don't accept new things easily.

Nintendo players, on the other hand, have a more open mind and like to try new ways to play. They know that gyro is waaaaaay better, and they will play this way, even if they can't play laying on the couch (yeah, gyro is physically more demanding with your body posture).

And I never saw Nintendo players getting salt on splatoon because they were aiming with sticks against gyro players (which on higher ranks might be like 90% of the players). If it was on PS4, I'm pretty sure there would be a "wich-hunt".

Jubenhimer

I'll disagree. When games like uncharted and horizon don't give the option, there's something really weird going on.

Many MP games on PS4 (actually I think it's the majority of them) don't even have cross-platform and even then there's no gyro option there (and some of these games get gyro aim on switch lol).

I believe devs know that if they implement gyro on PS4 (and there's no cross-platform MP) that will be a problem, because gyro players will destroy those who only aim with outdated sticks. Them players will cry on the internet asking to devs to add a filter, which will impact over the player base.

This is why Sony needs to... I don't want to say force developers to use these features more, but rather push for them to include them in places where they make sense. For example, Guerilla's Making Horizon II? Why not request them to add a gyro aiming option? Things like the touchpad and gyroscope should be way more utilized than they currently are, and I think many other PlayStation gamers would agree.

Last edited:
K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
and I think many other PlayStation gamers would agree

That's where I think it's not the case (I think it would be a minority on this platform who would agree, specially on MP games (even if there's no cross-play).

But who really knows? We would need to see it being implemented (like you said) to receive the feedback from the PS fanbase.

Edit: is it only 5 minutes to edit? That's weird. Is it because I'm on a new account? I'm pretty sure I have already seen people edit their posts way over 5 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

Jubenhimer

That's where I think it's not the case (I think it would be a minority on this platform who would agree, specially on MP games (even if there's no cross-play).

But who really knows? We would need to see it being implemented (like you said) to receive the feedback from the PS fanbase.

Edit: is it only 5 minutes to edit? That's weird. Is it because I'm on a new account? I'm pretty sure I have already seen people edit their posts way over 5 minutes

I think gyro aiming is starting to catch on with PlayStation owners. Days Gone added it in an update, and most people welcomed it. And I can't imagine people are using anything other than motion controls to create projects in Dreams.

I think deep down, PS gamers appreciated motion controls. But weren't exposed to games that did them proper justice. I mean, remember the early days of PS3 with games like Lair? Yeah. I feel like if you show them motion controls done right like with Gyro aim and PS VR, they'll use it. And plus, many games that would use it would only support them as an option. The traditional stick controls should still be supported in most traditional games for those who prefer it.

Codes 208

tenor.gif

i refuse to use it outside of when a game forces me too. Its a gimick and nothing more, just give me a ergonomicly comfy pad with good button/trigger plcement and a decent battery life.

Jubenhimer

tenor.gif

i refuse to use it outside of when a game forces me too. Its a gimick and nothing more, just give me a ergonomicly comfy pad with good button/trigger plcement and a decent battery life.

But you don't have to use it in most games that would support it. It'd be an option for those who want it. You don't want to use it? Fine, but that doesn't mean nobody else should.

teezzy

Banned
Everyone saying no clearly hasn't experience the glory of gyro aiming

Gyro aiming + Paddles

Steam controller wrecked me

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is probably why to be honest. the only game I used a lot of gyro for was Splatoon 2 and it worked great and didn’t take a long time to adjust. It’s a real improvement over just thumb sticks.

DrAspirino

Banned
Having the feature standard across all the major platforms, would incentivize developers to use it more since all the versions will have the same control options available. And that's what it is, an option in most cases. You can turn it off if you want, but there's little excuse why it shouldn't be included at this point.
And here's the "difficult" part: Microsoft accessibility stance.

You see, back in 2018, Microsoft made a huge statement in gaming by releasing the Xbox Adaptive controller, which made videogames accessible to literally millions of disabled people around the world. The controller works even with a Nintendo Switch, so no one is excluded. IF (and it's a big IF) gyro and accelerometer become standard on all 3 major consoles, as Jubenhimer said, it would incentivize developers to use it more and even make it essential to gameplay mechanics. That would literally kill the accessibility controllers, since simulating a gyro and an accelerometer on a device for people that can barely move would be impossible.

So, the way I see it, developers won't rely on the gyro or accelerometer too much, otherwise they risk losing some userbase.

Heck, I have disabled the gyro on my switch because I have shaky hands and made it impossible to fire an arrow in BotW.

Jubenhimer

And here's the "difficult" part: Microsoft accessibility stance.

You see, back in 2018, Microsoft made a huge statement in gaming by releasing the Xbox Adaptive controller, which made videogames accessible to literally millions of disabled people around the world. The controller works even with a Nintendo Switch, so no one is excluded. IF (and it's a big IF) gyro and accelerometer become standard on all 3 major consoles, as Jubenhimer said, it would incentivize developers to use it more and even make it essential to gameplay mechanics. That would literally kill the accessibility controllers, since simulating a gyro and an accelerometer on a device for people that can barely move would be impossible.

So, the way I see it, developers won't rely on the gyro or accelerometer too much, otherwise they risk losing some userbase.

Heck, I have disabled the gyro on my switch because I have shaky hands and made it impossible to fire an arrow in BotW.

I can understand that it'd be a problem for those with disabilities. But if Microsoft does include a gyroscope, then they could probably also include a mandate to developers that it must be optional in all Xbox games, if they want to cater to the disabled market.

Codes 208

But you don't have to use it in most games that would support it. It'd be an option for those who want it. You don't want to use it? Fine, but that doesn't mean nobody else should.
Every game ive played that “supported” it required it on some level. Killzone 2 for example required gyro controls for certain scenes which meant i couldnt use my third party xbox-based controller (as i absolutely loathe the ds3) and while ill forgive nintendo for the wii requiring them as, its the wii, if you want to collect everything in BotW, gyro is required for several of the shrines, and you cant even play splatoon or splatoon 2 without going through the tutorial that locks you into gyro.

while im generally fine with options, gyro is one of those gimmicks that tends to overlap from the term optional and finds its way as “required for certain sections” and sometimes makes a game unplayable without it (such as killzone 2 and splatoon)

Last edited:
Top Bottom