• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should The Xbox Controller finally incorporate a motion sensor?

Jubenhimer

while im generally fine with options, gyro is one of those gimmicks that tends to overlap from the term optional and finds its way as “required for certain sections” and sometimes makes a game unplayable without it (such as killzone 2 and splatoon)

In Splatoon's case, Gyro is required in the tutorial to get players used to the idea of moving your wrist to aim. It's essentially the default control scheme for the game, so you'd want to require the player to at least try it before deciding if they like it or not.

But in most games, it wouldn't even be mandatory. It'd be an option you could turn on or off if you want.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It doesn't already? I thought every modern controller had motion sensing capabilities. I guess that shows how much I use my Xbox this generation. When I recently played Ori 2 on it, I had totally forgot thime controller still runs on AA batteries.
The Dualshock 4 has it ? I use my PS4 a lot and I forgot or maybe even didn't realise it had it, I know Ps3 controller had it maybe I got confused with that. I guess that shows how much developers use it. I remember it has that touchpad they should get rid of that as well imo.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Is there even a single good reason why it shouldn’t be implemented as an option? What would you even miss if it’s an option? Why are some so reluctant that they want people to have a worse gameplay experience just for the sake of it, despite the fact that aiming/camera movement is objectively better with a gyro?

GHG

Gold Member
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. It's a nice option for people who need/want it to have. It's in pretty much every other modern controller these days.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care for motion sensor in a controller since I've tried many times and it alyways sucks. I even have steam controller...
Paddles are fine in theory but in practice, they ad a bit too much and complicate things + it's hard to have a good grip of the controller. If they add paddles then just meke them customizable and removable

Verchod

It's quite good for driving games. I don't want to buy a steering wheel. Be nice as one of Microsoft's major games is a driving games.

Gravemind

No. I dont want any more unnecessary bullshit in these controllers. They already cost enough without having to fork over another 10$ or whatever for something that most developers just ignore anyway.

As long as it has sticks, triggers, and buttons with a wireless battery source then I'm a happy guy.

No, it's a waste of money, resources, will make the controller more expensive and is a useless gimmick unless VR is actually heavily supported and well done.

Top Bottom