• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should you use DuckDuckGo search engine?????

what search engine do you use

• google

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • duckduckgo

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • bing

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • yandex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
So, do you guys use any other search engine besides google?
I never thought about ITT but I'm thinking of using DuckDuckGo.

DuckDuckGo (DDG) is a general search engine designed to protect user privacy, while avoiding the skewing of search results that can happen because of personalized search (sometimes referred to as a filter bubble).

What are you guys using?

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

garballax

a few months back I swapped to DuckDuckGo. I still use Google's search engine on rare occasions because (even though it pains me to admit it) sometimes the personalized results are helpful. Google's search engine is starting to get too visually busy for my liking so I'm glad I made the decision to switch when I did.

unknown.png

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I use Bing, as I vastly prefer it in blind tests, but Yandex easily has the best reverse image search.
DuckDuckGo may be private, but its search engine's honestly utter shit.

Did you know Bing bribes you? You earn rewards by searching. Over the years I've gotten hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift cards from them. And it's the superior search engine.

Last edited:
Lol, DDG is a spy device connected with Yahoo, which is owned by Verizon and also has other stuff in the background (some of which is visible just by viewing the source code if you understand it, at least when I checked over a year ago.)

They were a data collection interference company which was shuttered, the company stated working on another project att he time and than put out DDG long ago but it didn't take off, they waited, then somehow got funding to push it recently the last few years as a Google alternative and people think they are a new guy in the block when DDG has been around for years.

It's very clear that DDG is a trap but people will believe them because they think it's an independent outfit fighting against the man.

Lol, DDG is a spy device connected with Yahoo, which is owned by Verizon and also has other stuff in the background (some of which is visible just by viewing the source code if you understand it, at least when I checked over a year ago.)

They were a data collection interference company which was shuttered, the company stated working on another project att he time and than put out DDG long ago but it didn't take off, they waited, then somehow got funding to push it recently the last few years as a Google alternative and people think they are a new guy in the block when DDG has been around for years.

It's very clear that DDG is a trap but people will believe them because they think it's an independent outfit fighting against the man.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Lrnex

I tried to break away from GMail, Maps and the actual search engine but the alternatives just don’t work as well.

Really get sick of seeing random ads for things I searched for show up when I’m browsing though. It’s just an in-your-face reminder that your data you willingly feed them is being used.

thief183

At the moment I'm using DDG on edge chromium browser.... it works well for now, if you want to detach from google the real problem is the maps, mostly cause google doesn't allow the use of bing maps on android phones.

I tried to break away from GMail, Maps and the actual search engine but the alternatives just don’t work as well.

Really get sick of seeing random ads for things I searched for show up when I’m browsing though. It’s just an in-your-face reminder that your data you willingly feed them is being used.
Try Brave.

xrnzaaas

DuckDuckGo is good enough for most searches, but unfortunately if I'm looking for something specific or local it can't complete with Google. I'm hoping it'll continue improving so one day I'll be able to start using it exclusively.

I use all 3 depending on what I'm after at the time,

Google - best general results
Bing -best image ui
DDG - aparently more private?

Humdinger

I recently saw a comparison between Google and Duck Duck Go search results for "feminist mistakes" or something similar, and the differences were stark. The left-leaning bias in the Google results was completely obvious. I switched to Duck Duck Go, although I've only been using it a few days. I can tell it's not as good a search engine as Google (no surprise there), so I'll probably switch back and forth.

Last edited:

Airola

I recently saw a comparison between Google and Duck Duck Go search results for "feminist mistakes" or something similar, and the differences were stark. The left-leaning bias in the Google results was completely obvious.

I've been wondering if it's really all about the popularity of what people who use those search engines click.
Like, maybe the results and search suggestions are like that in DuckDuckGo because people started to use that to look for alternative viewpoints to certain topics. So, it might not actually show "real uncensored results" but it just shows it's maybe being used more by people with different worldview from what is more popular within Google users.

This probably isn't the truth but I've been wondering if that could be the case.

Son Tofu

Banned
I'm less than clueless when It comes to the internet; I just assume everything you put into a search engine (regardless of provider) is tracked and catalogued.

I usually just use Yahoo or Google.

Top Bottom