• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Review Thread

VandalD

Playing through this on PC. Controls feel great. And if you don't like the up+attack for relic, even though it works fine, you can change it to a separate button if that's your preference. Where Volgarr absolutely nailed the slow-paced, careful side of platformers, I think Shovel Knight does the same with the fast-paced, twitchy side of platformers.

Could you add our review too?

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/shovel-knight-review-steel-thy-shovel/

FYI we gave it a 6.5/10, mostly because the controls aren't as tight as they should be.

Thank you :)

Wait, what? The controls aren't tight? I don't mind negative reviews whatsoever, don't get me wrong, but something must have been wrong with your setup in that case. There are plenty of things that can introduce input lag on a PC, especially badly configured V-Sync. Maybe something got borked on your end?

The controls in this game are 100% spot-on when running at non-vsynced 120fps here. Like, the tightest controls I have ever played with in a game of this sort. Hell, possibly in any game.

Out of curiosity, did you have vsync on? I found that by disabling vsync, there was still no tearing, but the controls felt much better. Not sure if D3DOverrider was taking care of triple buffering or not. But the way I'm playing it now, I definitely disagree with the controls not being tight. They feel fantastic.

Wait, what? The controls aren't tight? I don't mind negative reviews whatsoever, don't get me wrong, but something must have been wrong with your setup in that case. There are plenty of things that can introduce input lag on a PC, especially badly configured V-Sync. Maybe something got borked on your end?

The controls in this game are 100% spot-on when running at non-vsynced 120fps here. Like, the tightest controls I have ever played with in a game of this sort. Hell, possibly in any game.

I'm going to mention this to him and see if this was the issue. From what he told me this was his main gripe with the game, from what it seems - everything else were more or less just pet peeves AFAIC. Our reviews aren't final either, so we can definitely update it if this is simply just an issue with his rig.

I'm going to mention this to him and see if this was the issue. From what he told me this was his main gripe with the game, from what it seems - everything else were more or less just pet peeves. Our reviews aren't final either, so we can definitely update it if this is simply just an issue with his rig.

It could be anything really, but the game should have no controls issues whatsoever when working properly. Sad to hear that ended up being his experience with the game regardless, always frustrating with those kinds of technical issues :(

It could be anything really, but the game should have no controls issues whatsoever when working properly. Sad to hear that ended up being his experience with the game regardless, always frustrating with those kinds of technical issues :(

Yeah like he was really raving about the visuals and the music, the aesthetics and such, but the controls just seemed to be the breaking point for him and he walked away unhappy. If we can resolve it being a hardware issue I'm sure he'll end up loving it. Trying to get a hold of him lmao

Eric C

Could you add our review too?

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/shovel-knight-review-steel-thy-shovel/

FYI we gave it a 6.5/10, mostly because the controls aren't as tight as they should be.

Thank you :)

I STRONGLY disagree about the controls not being tight. I personally found the controls to be really great. This is from my experience playing the 3DS version since last night.

If somebody would've asked me about the controls I would've said "Really great, really really tight."

I STRONGLY disagree about the controls not being tight. I personally found the controls to be really great. This is from my experience playing the 3DS version since last night.

If somebody would've asked me about the controls I would've said "Really great, really really tight."

As others pointed out, this might be due to the reviewer's hardware as he played it on a PC gaming rig - I'm trying to get a hold of him.

Gigglepoo

I know, it just seems like an odd way to present it. Having nothing in the 'bad' column makes it sound like the game has no flaws. The reviewer should have at least put some of the negatives (not that great on 2nd/3rd run, too easy, etc) into that column. Seems weird to leave it blank.

I initially had that exact Bad entry. However, I was convinced by my coworkers that it would be unfair to list that as Bad (the capital B is serious business) since we don't often play games multiple times before we review them. So, I talked about that element in my text but didn't single it out. Was that a good compromise? I'm not sure. But I really don't believe there is anything necessarily Bad with this game; it just wasn't quite as good as I wanted it to be.

It's not a AAA game, so obviously they can't give it an 8 or higher, come on man.

This was probably a joke, but I'm responding anyway: I greatly prefer indie games to AAA (it's not even close). They're what I spend the majority of my time playing, and what I'm most looking forward to in the future.

Tripon

Has Projared ever given a 10/10 before? He generally gives lower scores and explains why.

Hmm, not sure. I remember him giving a fake score of 12/10 for Monster Hunter 3U in one of his one minute reviews, and a real score of 8/10 in the more in depth review.

Cuburt

Reviews don't work by starting from 10 and "taking away points" like some think. Like most grading systems, it's about points EARNED, not points lost.

Until I see a spreadsheet for a review with a point-by-point breakdown for what each part of the game is worth, I'm pretty sure no one reviews a game like that.

Even if that score is updated after some controls tuning, people need to stop riding the asses of reviewers who dared to score a game lower than they think it deserves. Reviews are opinions, not rules of law etched in stone. Fucking pathetic shit in every single review thread.

Has there been any mention of how the 3D effect is on the 3DS version. Due to this factor, I am torn on whether to buy it for my 3DS or PC. Decisions decisions....

jblank83

These guys... it's the downward stab from Zelda II, not the pogo from DuckTales.

It's a mix of the two, really. There is a very Duck Tales bounce from the down stab. That makes it possible to travel across multiple enemies and bouncable objects. Zelda 2's down stab is much heavier, in contrast.

Kater

Banned
Where's the Escapist review, Jim?

:/

my review:

giphy.gif

Hahaha

georly

I initially had that exact Bad entry. However, I was convinced by my coworkers that it would be unfair to list that as Bad (the capital B is serious business) since we don't often play games multiple times before we review them. So, I talked about that element in my text but didn't single it out. Was that a good compromise? I'm not sure. But I really don't believe there is anything necessarily Bad with this game; it just wasn't quite as good as I wanted it to be.

That's fair, it just seems weird to see absolutely no negatives in the summary, yet the game only gets an 'average' or 'above average' score. It's just unusual for a game with no real flaws not to be reviewed higher. The summary is just weird, I guess.

That said, I don't disagree with the text in your review. :)

jblank83

Looks like I'll be writing a review for it, though I'm in the middle of an apartment move. Having played the first several stages I can already tell you it'll be filled with praise, unless the game falls on its face halfway through, which I don't expect.

Oswen

Can't wait to play this here in EU, these reviews are pure hype.
Still not sure where to get it between 3DS and WiiU.

Kater

Banned
No Euro release date then? Any rumours?
They have no announcement yet or at least that's what the Yacht Club twitter replied to me when I asked them when they'll release it over here.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/480097508425613313

Here's my tweet with the reply from YCG.

Thank you for the link! Will read it asap

Tookay

Even if that score is updated after some controls tuning, people need to stop riding the asses of reviewers who dared to score a game lower than they think it deserves. Reviews are opinions, not rules of law etched in stone. Fucking pathetic shit in every single review thread.

Agreed. Forcing everyone to adhere to some preordained consensus in every review thread is obnoxious.

Gigglepoo

Until I see a spreadsheet for a review with a point-by-point breakdown for what each part of the game is worth, I'm pretty sure no one reviews a game like that.

I play a game, write about my experience, and try to decide how to assign a number to those feelings. It's unscientific. I could list five Good entries for something that's mediocre and three Bad entries for a masterpiece, because it's about the overall experience not individual components.

Top Bottom