• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Show me your arts, GAF

Alfen

Nov 12, 2018
Most people here probably don't draw.
If they do, probably not as good as you.

Low-key feels like a brag thread tbh :messenger_smirking:
Your painting looks quite good, and I guess every post following yours will be lower level work.
But take all of this as a compliment bro.

Edit: While I was writing, haxan7 haxan7 made the first post, and you guys tell me;
Was I wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: pork_gamete

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018

Your painting looks quite good, and I guess every post following yours will be lower level work.
Maybe, but I still think it's a nice idea to have GAF members show off their art. It's a big community, and growing.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016

Edit: While I was writing, haxan7 haxan7 made the first post, and you guys tell me;
Was I wrong?
they will blow your mind with the art they post

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014

Was I wrong?
Thanks, man. Not a brag thread, tho :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I mean, it's nice to get feedback but I do enjoy seeing other people's work.

There are some really good artists out there, I've met some amazing illustrators, 3D artists and musicians on gaming forums :messenger_tears_of_joy:

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
I bought a drawing tablet years back to mess around with - ended up doing these two and never touching it again, unfortunately.

But do you still draw by hand or anything similar?

I stopped drawing for a long time too, I was focused on learning 3D modeling which is my main area of work.. turns out the 3D knowledge helped me a lot with my drawings :)

MastAndo

Oct 13, 2014
But do you still draw by hand or anything similar?

I stopped drawing for a long time too, I was focused on learning 3D modeling which is my main area of work.. turns out the 3D knowledge helped me a lot with my drawings :)
Not really, just very, very casually - like drawing on Post-It notes at work while I'm on hold kind of casual. :)

I could just never get to a place where I wanted to be, technically or creatively, so I just lost interest.

Reactions: pork_gamete

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
Not really, just very, very casually - like drawing on Post-It notes at work while I'm on hold kind of casual. :)

I could just never get to a place where I wanted to be, technically or creatively, so I just lost interest.
I know the feeling... if you still like arts tho, you should try doing related stuff as a hobby. Sculpting is awesome for understanding volume, photography can help with composition, 3D for orientation, volume and perspective... I want to start painting traditional and carving at some point :)

Reactions: CurryPanda

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014

Drawn in Flash ~15 years ago
Damn, from the image I thought it was a 3D model... looks pretty cool

I could never get the hang of doing stuff with vectors, I makes me want to punch the monitor when I can't get the curves right :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Pretty cool, man. Post more :)
Thanks! Here's a couple more things:

I made this decal when I was working at the sign shop since I had access to a lot of scrap vinyl. Put this on my guitar amp, and used a heat gun and metal brush to mold it into the texture.

Some spider thing:

Some other weird thing, this was a really big drawing and I had to stitch a few scans together:

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
Here’s a recent piece on metal, using water based latex and automotive finish/ink. It’s hard to fully capture in photos because it has body plastic under the finish giving it added depth, and about 30 mils of automotive clear.

Pretty cool, man! I tried abstract on canvas once... it's pretty fun, although it's hard to know when to stop.

Do you sell your work? I know a guy that paints realism very well on oil but only find clients for his abstract work :messenger_tears_of_joy:

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Pretty cool, man! I tried abstract on canvas once... it's pretty fun, although it's hard to know when to stop.

Do you sell your work? I know a guy that paints realism very well on oil but only find clients for his abstract work :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thanks man, yeah I do sell work and do some design stuff, I still have a day job painting cars, but I’m hoping to spend my old coot years pursuing it full time. Feel free to take a gander at my mediocre web site 👍

Last edited:

Macapala

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2013
Amazing work, man

What kind of materials do you use? I image weight is a huge factor.
Wonder Bowl is made Out of PVC board which is a light weight foam. It's completely hollow inside apart from a simple steel frame and LEDs which are used to light up the acrylic letters. The surround is 0.6mm brass sheet.

PappaRich and Edward Scissorhands are made out of 4.5mm opal acrylic with gold/black vinyl applied to them.

The returns (the walls) are put through an oven then molded into the correct shape using a timber template. They are then taped and glued to the face. A backing that houses the LEDs is inserted into the back of the sign/letter.

sonomamashine

Jun 29, 2019
Reactions: Nymphae