• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show me your arts, GAF

It's Jeff

Banned

Girl-with-a-Pearl-Earring-canvas-Johannes-1665.jpg

;)

And here's your million bonus points. You can redeem those at the counter over there - the top prize is a Dyson Ball Vaccuum.

mortal mortal

I started learning digital sculpting in Blender in early 2017. I learned a little bit of artistic anatomy from books (Andrew Loomis, Gottfried Bammes) and drawing from live models.

My drawings are terrible though. Luckily I can sculpt better than I draw!

I took a render of Blender sculpt and colored it in Krita:

sDRQ0V7.png

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
mortal mortal

I started learning digital sculpting in Blender in early 2017. I learned a little bit of artistic anatomy from books (Andrew Loomis, Gottfried Bammes) and drawing from live models.

My drawings are terrible though. Luckily I can sculpt better than I draw!

I took a render of Blender sculpt and colored it in Krita:

sDRQ0V7.png
Damn, you're a fast learner!

I actually haven't drawn anything in months but it's inspiring to see other members showcase their art. I'll see if I can come up with something in the next few days. I'm usually pretty hard on myself so I throw out most of my drawings.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that my daughter went through similar issues. I'm assuming you're very sensitive in general. My daughter was very much a perfectionist.

If I could offer a point of view. Try to get away from judging your art as good or bad and/or measuring yourself against others. Competition can really stifle creativity. Labeling your art as worthy or not is doing a disservice - not only to yourself - but the essence of the creative process. Creativity flourishes when uninhibited. You will be your best self when you remove the confines of those scales and simply let whatever comes come. Your skill will also improve without undo scrutiny.

Best of luck.

Edit: And I'd hold onto all those drawings. They will be fun to look back upon in time, I'm sure, and will probably give you a surprising sense of satisfaction.

Another thing I wanted to add to my post above.

If you feel the need to measure yourself which, for better or worse, so many of us do, then try to shift your measurement of success from arbitrary judgment of results to a judgment of commitment of time.

If you want to commit to your art, if you want to get better, then measure yourself by the time you invest only - if you must measure. The success is the trying not the outcome. Try to distance yourself from anything other than a measurement of your engagement with things.

I don't know if that's helpful, but I couldn't resist sharing because of the struggles my own child has gone through to allow herself to create without such intense evaluation.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that my daughter went through similar issues. I'm assuming you're very sensitive in general. My daughter was very much a perfectionist.

If I could offer a point of view. Try to get away from judging your art as good or bad and/or measuring yourself against others. Competition can really stifle creativity. Labeling your art as worthy or not is doing a disservice - not only to yourself - but the essence of the creative process. Creativity flourishes when uninhibited. You will be your best self when you remove the confines of those scales and simply let whatever comes come. Your skill will also improve without undo scrutiny.

Best of luck.

Edit: And I'd hold onto all those drawings. They will be fun to look back upon in time, I'm sure, and will probably give you a surprising sense of satisfaction.
Yeah, I am very much a perfectionist when it comes to art. I drew a lot more during high school, particularly coming up with concept art and covers for a graphic novel. I wish I had saved some of them because I revisited it around 2015/2016 with updated character designs before dropping it again. Then I think a year later, I saw this trailer for a Will Smith movie and a specific shot of him picking up a sword made me think of my own idea, although mine had more to do with angels and demons in a present-day city, not orcs and elves.

anigif_sub-buzz-24382-1508951169-11.gif

I've always enjoyed coming up with concepts, drawing something and then thinking about the story behind it like if it were adapted into a movie or television show. You know what I mean?

mortal

Gold Member
It is thanks to many free youtube tutorials on sculpting for zbrush and blender. Especially stuff from Ryan Kingslien, his videos on anatomy was a huge help. The Flipnormals channel is also great.

This sculpt is one of my earliest attempt:

mfd09mU.png
Even for an early attempt, it shows a lot of confidence.

Oh for sure. It's pretty amazing just how much quality resources for learning we have access to today. Truth be told, I was always intimidated by 3D sculpting,
I want to incorporate 3D elements into my workflow, I'm Currently learning to use Cinema 4D. Thank you for the recommendations, I'll be checking them out (y)

More style exploration:
vladimir-jean-sam-1300.jpg

vladimir-jean-7219-1600.jpg

Last edited:
Even for an early attempt, it shows a lot of confidence.

Oh for sure. It's pretty amazing just how much quality resources for learning we have access to today. Truth be told, I was always intimidated by 3D sculpting,
I want to incorporate 3D elements into my workflow, I'm Currently learning to use Cinema 4D. Thank you for the recommendations, I'll be checking them out (y)

More style exploration:
vladimir-jean-sam-1300.jpg

vladimir-jean-7219-1600.jpg

Yes, the amount of free help and tutorials on the internet is amazing!

We are in the same boat, using 3D not as the end result but to aid in 2D art. As for 3D sculpting, give Blender 2.8 a try. Flipnormals have some videos on beginner blender sculpting. I never once thought I could sculpt since my 2D skills are lacking but it turned out that digital sculpting is not that intimidating once you master the basics.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Did this about 20 year ago
drawingtgorwjxz.jpg

About 18 years ago
fb_img_1566392046503frkdj.jpg

With work and everything I Don't have time do stuff like that anymore.
I've definitely improved since then thou, just never finish stuff

Last edited:

nkarafo

Did this about 20 year ago
drawingtgorwjxz.jpg

About 18 years ago
fb_img_1566392046503frkdj.jpg

With work and everything I Don't have time do stuff like that anymore.
I've definitely improved since then thou, just never finish stuff
Awesome. I like your skin shading. And the hair.

I want to make a photo realistic portrait someday but i just don't have the skill or patience for it. I struggle enough getting the likeness right and i quickly lose my enthusiasm for it as portraits aren't my favorite subject. These are my best attempts of a portrait so far.

d2auovd-07b12ca0-66f1-4605-a7c8-18f7bb5ab66d.jpg

my_uncle_by_imgema_d32qf5a-fullview.jpg

portrait_of_a_greek_actress_by_imgema_d2ysyo5-fullview.jpg

The hair sucks in all of them and they are more like doodles instead of taking my time and making everything look as detailed and realistic as possible. But at least the likeness of these particular faces is mostly on point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Awesome. I like your skin shading. And the hair.

I want to make a photo realistic portrait someday but i just don't have the skill or patience for it. I struggle enough getting the likeness right and i quickly lose my enthusiasm for it as portraits aren't my favorite subject. These are my best attempts of a portrait so far.

d2auovd-07b12ca0-66f1-4605-a7c8-18f7bb5ab66d.jpg

my_uncle_by_imgema_d32qf5a-fullview.jpg

portrait_of_a_greek_actress_by_imgema_d2ysyo5-fullview.jpg

The hair sucks in all of them and they are more like doodles instead of taking my time and making everything look as detailed and realistic as possible. But at least the likeness of these particular faces is mostly on point.
Those are great, the main difference is I rub tissue all over the picture, then use a rubber pen to create light and high light then go over it again to build up the shading and texture and depth
And use a cotton bud or blending stump for texture blending.
Repeat process for desired effect.

I am an amateur photographer, I don't know if that is considered real art, but here I go anyway, my not so original autumn photo.
t5czLBr.jpg

Why wouldn't it be art? You're attempting to capture and reflect an essence/vision in your images. There are infinite possible images/visual representations that could be captured and expressed, and the selection and editing of a particular set of visual circumstances is a very creative process imo.

Belmonte

Here are some of my personal pieces! 2019 was a slower year for me in terms of finished illustrations since I decided to learn to code. But I'm always sketching and studying something art related.

EI97gwF.jpg

QgBr8BO.jpg

My latest piece. Finished some hours ago:

793jlPE.jpg

Here is a Blazing Chrome fanart. The creators of the game liked and shared it on Facebook which made me very happy.

1MGU1fw.jpg

These ones are somewhat old digital paintings I made before switching to a more "comics" style. I love to do them but I realized I was focusing too much in texturing instead of raw anatomy and perspective. I'm interested in evolve my character design also and rendering makes the process too slow.

KdwSYOO.jpg

fCeRGOC.jpg

Top Bottom