• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show me your arts, GAF

Belmonte

Codes 208

Heres some pieces of a kaiju cat comic I was working on
lH9ucxa.jpg

lktTSRM.jpg

Mista

Banned
GAF fam got talent right there. Love it! I always envied people that can actually draw. Don’t you go and give that up for anything

Also I’m a sucker for pixel art somehow so if any of you lot got some of your own, please share :)

Belmonte

More old works!

The Street Fighter one seems older than it is. I made this year. Usually I scan the drawing and color with the tablet but it had so many problems with anatomy that I tried to redraw digitally. I don't know about you guys, but its is much harder to draw with a tablet for me. There is something weird not looking to my hands when drawing and something is lost in the process. But since I find the idea funny, I'm posting it!

RacwjHq.jpg

This one is a study for a RPG project.

4lUIZUg.jpg

This one is an illustration for a T-Shirt. Unfortunately it didn't work.

gjY84fj.jpg

I love Devil May Cry!

MoYnwaG.jpg

GAF fam got talent right there. Love it! I always envied people that can actually draw. Don’t you go and give that up for anything

Also I’m a sucker for pixel art somehow so if any of you lot got some of your own, please share :)

Man, it has been a long time since my last pixel art! This is from the 2011 summer:

AZZtsbe.png

Belmonte

I love this! I don’t know why but pixel art is sooooo great to me. Thank you for sharing♥

Thanks man!

Despite not working with it much, pixel art is special to me also. I feel like its the "cinema rolls" of videogames. It works like a symbol for the medium.

And it is pretty cool in itself, not only because historic reasons.There is a beauty in organizing forms and shapes in little squares.It is interesting to see, not only the characters per se but how the artist summed up the character/background complexities. Feels like a refined extraction of the subject matter.

Since it is not high definition, it lets the player imagination and abstraction fill the blanks.

If you want to see great modern pixel art, I recommend this site: http://pixeljoint.com/ .

Mista

Banned
Thanks man!

Despite not working with it much, pixel art is special to me also. I feel like its the "cinema rolls" of videogames. It works like a symbol for the medium.

And it is pretty cool in itself, not only because historic reasons.There is a beauty in organizing forms and shapes in little squares.It is interesting to see, not only the characters per se but how the artist summed up the character/background complexities. Feels like a refined extraction of the subject matter.

Since it is not high definition, it lets the player imagination and abstraction fill the blanks.

If you want to see great modern pixel art, I recommend this site: http://pixeljoint.com/ .
Agreeeeeeed. Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely look what the site has to offer

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Wow! Very professional work here.

I draw for fun, but I suck so much at it compared to you guys.

Makariel

I put every miniature I painted in 2019 together on a board:

3u3ahprfe9841.jpg

Was a few more than I thought, no wonder I didn't get the time to finally finish the Witcher 3 :p Some on the right still miss their bases being made, couldn't make up my mind how to make them for those large bases. The boxes in the background are what's coming next ;)

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I put every miniature I painted in 2019 together on a board:

3u3ahprfe9841.jpg

Was a few more than I thought, no wonder I didn't get the time to finally finish the Witcher 3 :p Some on the right still miss their bases being made, couldn't make up my mind how to make them for those large bases. The boxes in the background are what's coming next ;)

That's so badass. I always wanted to get into this, but never had the money for it.

Belmonte

A little short animated scene.

And some sticker assets I designed for the animation.
vladimir-jean-light-pole-assets-1300.jpg

Really cool animation, dude! Would love to see it as a full movie!

I've been trying to do more, learn more.
Not sure how I should improve and where to seek help in developing.

Heres some crap I've churned out this last week.

iwECg77.jpg

VgbzdX3.jpg

I liked the man with the dog and the face ripping one! They have an interesting mood.

When someone doesn't know where to go to improve, the answer, almost always is: fundamentals. Even absolute masters like Craig Mullins study fundamentals often.

Here are some of my favorite art channels on YouTube:

Proko - His videos about anatomy are the best you can get without paying anything. Art teachers must be very mad at him. Almost a "Mister M" of anatomy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

ModernDayJames - Lots of great perspective content.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8GDFj5BQCQrSHITFebzkA

Bobby Chiu - Lots of great interviews and art discussions
https://www.youtube.com/user/digitalbobert

Trent Kaniuga - Dude has a very positive energy and is responsible for a lot of WoW and Diablo 3 art.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmRm1xtLIpBhuWjTyD411pA

And here, my favorite video about how to study art:

Winter John

Gold Member
I call this piece Woman -

lBbEEWy.png

As you can see it's an abstract impressionist piece that was inspired by the likes of de Kooning and Pollock

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a slight problem I'm wondering if someone in here could help out with. I recently picked up water colors again and it's great fun, however, I had a bit of a scare yesterday. The colors change dramatically between room light with light from the window, to super saturated as soon as I turn the desk lamp on.

What's going on here? The kelvin 6500 and that's as close to 5000 as I could fin in stores. Do I need a weaker bulb?

It's pretty hard to work when I don't really know what im6doing due to colors changing so much. When the lamp is off, there's hardly any saturation at all.

Belmonte

That’s like a 60-30 degree or maybe 70-20 degree, 2-point perspective?

I think it is a 60-30, 2 point perspective but probably with a lot of errors since I did it by intuition, like Krenz Cushart/modern day James, without a grid. It is not precise but I wish to internalize perspective in a way that I won't need to spend time doing VP, lines, etc in the future. Too time consuming and annoying to do when the perspective is out of the paper.

Here is a video of the method:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think it is a 60-30, 2 point perspective but probably with a lot of errors since I did it by intuition, like Krenz Cushart/modern day James, without a grid. It is not precise but I wish to internalize perspective in a way that I won't need to spend time doing VP, lines, etc in the future. Too time consuming and annoying to do when the perspective is out of the paper.

Here is a video of the method:

You aint kidding man. It’s not just planning out a precise grid, but then using a lightbox to retrace the lines you want, and you cant fuck up. Before I bought a large desk, I had to do vanishing points on my wall or floor. I will definitely check this out. Cheers

Edit: btw, your panel reminded me of the late 80s 2000 AD comics. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
First illustration of 2020. I tried the Krenz Cushart/modern day James method of drawing perspective in this one.

OrshWQv.jpg

Mad respect, I can't into perspective.

Hell it's hard for me to draw what little I can. Is it just me or does my artwork feel like it has no heart at all?

Belmonte

Mad respect, I can't into perspective.

Hell it's hard for me to draw what little I can. Is it just me or does my artwork feel like it has no heart at all?

Many thanks man!

Sure it has heart! I like your Terry and the Christmas Tifa x Aeris specially. They feel like people instead of only posing for the camera. Very natural. I struggle with this a lot.

That said, Iike the "Art is a cycle" graph shows, if an artist is not doubting himself, his art awareness is lower than his skill, which is not good for improvement.

Top Bottom