• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

sspeedy

scissorfight said:
here's some updated pics of truffleshuffle83's setup with a new JVC DLA-RS1

---

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

I hate you!

Jeff-DSA

I need some black DVD shelves. I'm not looking for anything expensive (black laminate over MDF is fine), but they need to have a good amount of storage. I'd like a clean, simple look. Any suggestions that anybody knows of from an online source?

Matix

Modest college setup..

2300098033_3174c43685.jpg
2300889956_76dbb11008.jpg

2300889836_cd2134e163.jpg
2300889886_ea96b5f381.jpg

2300105701_0467de2ec4.jpg
2300105749_987f856c43.jpg

2300904016_f435164bb7.jpg
2300112265_87baaf7436.jpg

2300098295_4089cff797.jpg
2300904058_2199121012.jpg

As you can see, my gaming/living/dining/sleeping area is all composed of one room (MTV-Cribs this is not).

ccharla

So I'm doing something I haven't seen yet on the forum, so I thought I'd post. My setup is in the basement / garage so it's not as swanky as some; it definitely got more of the rumpus room vibe vs. the slick bachelor vibe (this comes from not being a bachelor... plus I have to share the gaming room with my kid). Anyway, the entrance to the garage is all done up, as are the stairs:

1.jpg
2.jpg

That's the landing and stairs down to the garage. The garage is packed with old games, but it's a mess. Here is the room from the doorway to the secret room off the garage (aka the game room):

3.jpg

Here is the view from the couch towards the good TV, a Panasonic 42" 700U 1080P Plasma:

45.jpg

Here's another view -- you can kind of see the bead curtain that separates my side of the room from my son's, as well as the PC and Mac. I definitely come from the school that says a PC in its case is a bad PC, but it looks pretty bad:

425.jpg

(sorry nothing interesting was on the TV)

From the couch you can also see the ghetto TV (the room is really wide, this is to the left of the bead curtain):

5.jpg

Closeup:

55.jpg

The Animal Crossing stuffed animals are staged.

It was a big debate if the Wii should go with the old TV or the new TV, but ultimately... even though I have the component cable, I'd rather it's on the 4:3 TV because I don't play it super often, and I don't really care if someone chucks a wiimote into a tube TV. My son plays it a lot more than me... mostly for GC games

Anyway, back to what makes my set-up different -- the next-gen consoles are hidden *behind* the TV:

6-1.jpg

They are angled out for easy access:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Here's a creepy overhead view (note crappy cable tie job):

65.jpg

Anyway it keeps it pretty neat. It seemed like a waste to just have that space empty when I got rid of my massive tube HDTV. I'll probably replace the 360 with an elite pretty soon for HDMI.

Last, I gotta show close-ups of two pictures my son did on that wall when he was like four... I was extremely proud!

13.jpg

btf1980 said:
They're cream, not white. Not the hippest color, but it doesn't bother me really.

It's not really the colour but the lack of stuff on it. I couldn't live with clear walls.

Wish I could afford the equipment though.:(

suzu

Matix said:
Modest college setup..

As you can see, my gaming/living/dining/sleeping area is all composed of one room (MTV-Cribs this is not).

hey, at least everything matches! :)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Here's my actual room, I'll post pics of my basement set up in a bit.

Good old (new, rather) PC. 22 in monitor, great for late Crysis nights.

2rcbmrq.jpg

My shelf. I've got a few more figures incoming in the mail.

iz94ew.jpg

My bookcase. Yes that's money and my tax return

1zgros0.jpg

Other corner:

f2lm3p.jpg

And here's a view from the blue bomber.

212d2fl.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
gaming.jpg

Finally got myself a Wii so I thought I might as well post my gaming "corner". It's not really neat or anything, but it does its job. on the floor you see the GC I unplugged, couldnt be arsed to move it away yet :D On the top of the shelf there's a row of DS games, but it got cropped off.

Matix said:
Modest college setup..
2300112265_87baaf7436.jpg

Doesn't the light behind the tv bug the crap out of you?

i have 2 small windows behind my set-up and it drives me nuts

Jeff-DSA

SIP YEK NOD said:

I have my setup in the basement, but I figure that behind has to be much better than from the side or facing the TV.

shpankey

not an idiot
Niks said:
6lkas6q.jpg

Heres my setup, its the same as last years.
I am posting it in the 2008 thread since people seemed to like it in last years thread :D

- 50" Panasonic plasma
- White Knight Story trailer
- Custom made TV stand
- 5.1 Surround setup

The speaker/receiver combo is a few years old.
Been looking for new speakers/receiver but still havent decided.
curious as to why you don't put your center channel where you have your ps3 and vice-versa, instead? i thought i heard that you wanted it as close to the bottom of your tv as possible for better acoustics and what-not (?).

very nice setup though, truly beautiful bro. :)

Shinblade

Banned
andrewfee said:
1zq4rbp.jpg

Well, after all those HD setups I've had, I'm back to pretty much the same setup I had 15+ years ago and you know what? It's not half bad.

When I upgraded to a larger widescreen CRT I was disappointed with the massive scanlines, poor geometry (especially with 4:3 content) and the flicker at that size was headache-inducing.

When that died prematurely, I upgraded to a Digital 100Hz Flat Widescreen CRT - the flicker was gone, but the geometry was even worse and nothing seemed that sharp. I could never get settings I was completely happy with.

After that I started buying LCDs, and they all had a ton of problems. Poor black levels, motion smearing, viewing angle problems, unnatural colour reproduction, terrible SD performance etc.

I bought a lot of LCDs, and then tried out some Plasmas after giving up. They were better - sharper with motion, better picture with SD, but they had dithering, posterisation (banding in gradations) colour flashes/phosphor trailing, flicker. Colour reproduction still wasn't quite right on them, black levels still aren't all that good.

I've been jumping back/forward between Plasma/LCD for a while now, and while they're improving, I doubt they'll ever get to the point where I'll be happy.

I've been back to using this old CRT for the last week or two and almost all of my complaints are gone. It's perfectly sharp with RGB. Geometry isn't perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad or as noticeable as widescreen CRTs. Viewing angles are virtually perfect, as is to be expected. SD content looks amazing - I forgot how good it actually could look. Even HD games look great on it - I don't see why most of GAF says otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like something bigger, and more resolution would be nice but overall I still feel that this provides a more enjoyable experience than anything else I've had.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

You are taking the piss, right?

The benefits of a decent, well-calibrated, up-todate LCD or plasma 1080p screen are well known... sure some SD content may not look that hot... but on balance i would never go back...

and playing games on a 4:3 portable CRT TV...? Shame on you.

My new 42" regza has changed my expectations of colour depth and reproduction entirely... not to mention the fine details in all kinds of things that I'd never seen before.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

I would certainly agree that LCD from a few years back was poor... but now? It's a different league.

Matix

SIP YEK NOD said:

Actually I love the ceiling -to- floor windows in this rat hole of a studio apartment (one of the most appealing features of the place). And if the blinding sunlight ever becomes a problem (i.e. morning hangover, or some hot vamp pays a visit in the day), ya know I could always close the shades. The only complaints I have are from folks living in the lofts across from me, guess they don't enjoy my nude Rock Band sessions.

Niks

6lkas6q.jpg

shpankey said:
curious as to why you don't put your center channel where you have your ps3 and vice-versa, instead? i thought i heard that you wanted it as close to the bottom of your tv as possible for better acoustics and what-not (?).

very nice setup though, truly beautiful bro. :)

Thanks!
Well I have my ps3 on top because I want to give it more breathing space. But you are right, I could put the center on top. I don't know if having it in the bottom affects the acoustics though.

The sad news is that it looks like the receiver is dying on me. The center channel audio just dies after using the receiver for a few mins... Looks like Ill be forced to buy a new one...
Any suggestions?

I MUST have one before 2008.06.12
:D

atomico

Matix said:
Modest college setup..

I like it. it looks pretty good, but functional

my place is similar (separate bedroom, though), but I still havent gotten around to buying new furniture. i might even steal a couple of ideas from your pics :lol :lol

small appartment defense force? :D

Matix

atomico said:
I like it. it looks pretty good, but functional

my place is similar (separate bedroom, though), but I still havent gotten around to buying new furniture. i might even steal a couple of ideas from your pics :lol :lol

small appartment defense force? :D

SA-DF indeed ;)

Niks said:
6lkas6q.jpg

Thanks!
Well I have my ps3 on top because I want to give it more breathing space. But you are right, I could put the center on top. I don't know if having it in the bottom affects the acoustics though.

The sad news is that it looks like the receiver is dying on me. The center channel audio just dies after using the receiver for a few mins... Looks like Ill be forced to buy a new one...
Any suggestions?

I MUST have one before 2008.06.12
:D

Onkyo TX-SR605 or better... Also Thos are BA VR floorstanding speakers right? I wish theys till made those, I would have much rather bought those than the HS60s, but I could only get the current lien of speakers through their accomidation program. :(

Davidion

Very nice receivers BTF1980, I was looking at a Rotel but my space doesn't justify that pricy a component.

Matix, that's some fucking "college" setup you got there...I think your apartment's bigger than mine. :lol

Chaucer

P3010197.jpg

Sony 40" KDL40XBR4

don't know if i'll get a full home theater. thinking of a pair of axiom m60 v2s to start with. i'm not ready for full blown surround but we'll see how 2008 goes.

TomServo

Suggestion for you guys who don't want to / can't run the wires for thier wall-mounted sets in the wall:

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer/products/tv_cord_center.asp

About $25 at Home Depot / Lowe's. Paintable to match the wall. Mounts to wall with small enough wall anchors that you can spackle over the holes if you're moving out of a rental unit. If you've got a friend who needs it as well or you've got more than one setup there's enough in one package to do two sets.

I've used this stuff for the plasma in my living room. Holds the thick power cord for my plasma, two HDMI cables, the Wii component cable, and the component cable for my HTPC with plenty of room to spare.

IMG_4498.jpg

thomaser

anlegg020308.jpg

- Nintendo Wii
- Pioneer 50" PDP-507XA
- Harman/Kardon DVD 25
- Harman/Kardon AVR 435 5.1 receiver
- Audiovector MI 1 Super frontspeakers
- Audiovector MI 3 Super backspeakers

I'll probably add an SACD-player this year, maybe a Marantz or a Primare.

scissorfight said:
here's some updated pics of truffleshuffle83's setup with a new JVC DLA-RS1

IMG_3666.jpg

I was at a local showroom and I had a look at the RS2. The whole time I was saying WOW! If you have the funds the RS1 is going for a great street price.

I also seen the Sony VW200 and that was the shit! Seriously, I didn't even care about the price while watching it. It was amazing!

whitehawk

Banned
andrewfee said:
1zq4rbp.jpg

Well, after all those HD setups I've had, I'm back to pretty much the same setup I had 15+ years ago and you know what? It's not half bad.

When I upgraded to a larger widescreen CRT I was disappointed with the massive scanlines, poor geometry (especially with 4:3 content) and the flicker at that size was headache-inducing.

When that died prematurely, I upgraded to a Digital 100Hz Flat Widescreen CRT - the flicker was gone, but the geometry was even worse and nothing seemed that sharp. I could never get settings I was completely happy with.

After that I started buying LCDs, and they all had a ton of problems. Poor black levels, motion smearing, viewing angle problems, unnatural colour reproduction, terrible SD performance etc.

I bought a lot of LCDs, and then tried out some Plasmas after giving up. They were better - sharper with motion, better picture with SD, but they had dithering, posterisation (banding in gradations) colour flashes/phosphor trailing, flicker. Colour reproduction still wasn't quite right on them, black levels still aren't all that good.

I've been jumping back/forward between Plasma/LCD for a while now, and while they're improving, I doubt they'll ever get to the point where I'll be happy.

I've been back to using this old CRT for the last week or two and almost all of my complaints are gone. It's perfectly sharp with RGB. Geometry isn't perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad or as noticeable as widescreen CRTs. Viewing angles are virtually perfect, as is to be expected. SD content looks amazing - I forgot how good it actually could look. Even HD games look great on it - I don't see why most of GAF says otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like something bigger, and more resolution would be nice but overall I still feel that this provides a more enjoyable experience than anything else I've had.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
You should at least get a better SDTV. I have a spare SDTV from about 2-3 years ago. 27" JVC Flatscreen Tube TV. Picture quality is great for an SDTV. Plus it has a component video input, which improves the picture quality a LOT.

cRIPticon

ccharla said:
So I'm doing something I haven't seen yet on the forum, so I thought I'd post. My setup is in the basement / garage so it's not as swanky as some; it definitely got more of the rumpus room vibe vs. the slick bachelor vibe (this comes from not being a bachelor... plus I have to share the gaming room with my kid). Anyway, the entrance to the garage is all done up, as are the stairs:

That's the landing and stairs down to the garage. The garage is packed with old games, but it's a mess. Here is the room from the doorway to the secret room off the garage (aka the game room):

Here is the view from the couch towards the good TV, a Panasonic 42" 700U 1080P Plasma:

Here's another view -- you can kind of see the bead curtain that separates my side of the room from my son's, as well as the PC and Mac. I definitely come from the school that says a PC in its case is a bad PC, but it looks pretty bad:

(sorry nothing interesting was on the TV)

From the couch you can also see the ghetto TV (the room is really wide, this is to the left of the bead curtain):

Closeup:

The Animal Crossing stuffed animals are staged.

It was a big debate if the Wii should go with the old TV or the new TV, but ultimately... even though I have the component cable, I'd rather it's on the 4:3 TV because I don't play it super often, and I don't really care if someone chucks a wiimote into a tube TV. My son plays it a lot more than me... mostly for GC games

Anyway, back to what makes my set-up different -- the next-gen consoles are hidden *behind* the TV:

They are angled out for easy access:

Here's a creepy overhead view (note crappy cable tie job):

Anyway it keeps it pretty neat. It seemed like a waste to just have that space empty when I got rid of my massive tube HDTV. I'll probably replace the 360 with an elite pretty soon for HDMI.

Last, I gotta show close-ups of two pictures my son did on that wall when he was like four... I was extremely proud!

13.jpg

Crazy setup C! Since you posted your kid's work, I should post mine. This was done for a 100 days of school project. So we did 100 Mii's:

FinishedMiis.jpg

Great seeing you at GDC and sorry we didn't meet up for the Sega party. Skipped the whole thing and kicked back at the View for some drinks and relax time. Sushi on me for you and Mike on next swing through the area!

-Chris

Tiduz

Eurogaime
only thing SDTV's are good for is PS2/Xbox/Gamecube gaming wise.

360/ps3 look AMAZING on my 1080P samsung, and its "only" 42"
Yes, i do see a difference between 720P and 1080P at this size, but im not super far away from the tv itself.)

some pics later

Zoc

whitehawk said:
You should at least get a better SDTV. I have a spare SDTV from about 2-3 years ago. 27" JVC Flatscreen Tube TV. Picture quality is great for an SDTV. Plus it has a component video input, which improves the picture quality a LOT.

How's the geometry on that JVC? I really want to get a nice tube TV, but I've never seen one with a flat tube that had decent geometry. The sides of the pictures are never straight. If I could find an old round tube TV with component, I'd be all over it.

Petrie

Banned
Oh, and here's my lovely setup:

100_0880.jpg

Alas, as a poor college student with limited space it's the best I can manage at the moment. It gets the job done, though I do wish the Dreamcast wasn't sidelines because of space issues (she's still hooked up though, don't worry!).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
andrewfee said:
See, this is the kind of thing that's annoying me. They're "only" good for old systems? DMC4, Uncharted etc all looked great when I tried them out on this CRT.

I do have a 22" CRT monitor for HD gaming because the additional resolution looks great, but I'd be pretty happy if I could only use this TV.

Maybe in a couple of years when they've sorted the black levels (if Pioneer are still around then) they'll start focusing on better colour reproduction, but it seems most manufacturers are using wide gamuts as selling points, so that seems unlikely. And things like posterisation probably aren't going to be fixed any time soon. Check the Folding @ Home globe - I've yet to see any HDTV that can display it without noticeable banding like this around the bright spots:

2wcky9d.jpg

Good point, ive never noticed that but im gonna check out how that looks on my tv later today.

TomServo

sspeedy said:
Are those things on the top right corner from uncommon goods? If so, are they really pretty? I was thinking of getting a couple ;)

They're from all over. Witch balls and gazing balls (differnce has something to do glass strands on the interior of the ball). My wife collects them from small glass shops when we travel. I think a few come from one or two large studios that distribute nationwide, but she prefers the ones from independent artists.

My wife seems to think they're pretty, only about half of them can be seen in the picture.

Top Bottom