• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
JB1981 said:
IW dev right? No love for PS3. :(

really nice room, though. very comfortable and great choice in paint color

Oh, I've got love for the PS3 and it will come in due time. It might sound crazy, but they don't actually hand out consoles to every employee and the PS3 is still expensive enough that I'll have to save up for a few months to get it. With a second kiddo on the way it might take even longer :(

Roi

eXistor said:
My setup is pretty much the same as last years, but with some more shit obviously. I had to use a flash, because it's not very bright in my room (I prefer it that way) so in actuality there's a lot better atmosphere in the room than these pictures suggest.

Did you ever bring a girl up there? And how old are you?

ascully, great set-up! That's how I want it.

eXistor

Roi said:
Did you ever bring a girl up there? And how old are you?
They wouldn't understand :(

When I get a place of my own, I plan on having a seperate room with all my games and dvd's and such put neatly in shelves. The living room would be more traditional, I want people to think I'm not a complete freak....until they see the gameroom of course. I feel it's getting too crowded as it is now.

Niks

Center channel now on top, as suggested.
PSeye is new (dunno why I bought it really) meh.

2qibhg7.jpg

batbeg

I would kill for your setup, eXistor. And I mean that literally, you should probably watch your back, because I don't know if I can hold myself back.

Tarin02543

Here's my set up:

P1000024.JPG

P1000025.JPG

P1000026.JPG

I thought I was well off because I could buy a ps3 AND a Wii. That was until I saw your 2000 $ receivers.

Here is my humble 27" CRT HDTV that I currently have my Wii and 360 hooked up to.

2r4l9qq.jpg

sorry about the dark shot. We just got a new camera and I am getting used to it
17bvpw.jpg

Here is our bedroom dresser with the PS2 hooked up.
33arl2x.jpg

acm2000 said:
im still looking at getting a 5.1 setup, but i cant justify it to myself, im not really a crazed audiophile
You reallly dont know how much sound youre missing on 360 games. Sears has one for about $140 and its a Panasonic (it works like a charm). Buy an optical cable and youre going to be blown away.

123rl

Asda have a 5.1 set for about £25 :D Seriously though you NEED to invest in a 5.1 setup as it will totally blow you away. Remember the first time you saw a game in 720p? Well the difference between stereo sound and 5.1 has as much impact as going from 480i to 720p!!

You could find a lot of systems for between £80-120 and any of these will sound a million times better than your TV.

JB1981

andrewfee said:
It's "insanely picky" to expect an image at least on-par with a £100, 15 year-old TV when spending 34x as much? (Pioneer LX508D price)

I use a 22" IBM monitor for HD gaming - I've never seen 720p look so sharp. ~2ft from that screen provides an experience equivalent to a 50" screen at 5.6ft and has more visual impact due to the lack of artefacts, deeper black level, better colour reproduction, improved motion handling and sharpness improvements.

My CRT seems to finally be dying out now anyway: http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF9655.MP4
So I'll be forced to pick up something else soon and stick with it - probably one of the new Panasonic Plasmas.
basically you dwell on every negative and gloss over every positive when it comes to these new tvs. the fact that you are playing on a 4:3 SD daewoo when there are all these other options available is absolutely baffling to me. to each his own, though. glad you are happy.

marwan

Banned
eXistor said:
My setup is pretty much the same as last years, but with some more shit obviously. I had to use a flash, because it's not very bright in my room (I prefer it that way) so in actuality there's a lot better atmosphere in the room than these pictures suggest.

1z6z8uw.jpg

20uu8vp.jpg

2vbaiae.jpg

2rc01vq.jpg

2r4iefc.jpg

mwv29f.jpg

o083th.jpg

2mepa4w.jpg

28wjzbr.jpg

WOW, FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC COLLECTION!!!! :D

I really like Niks' PS3 / HDTV -setup, but ultimately it is eXistor's "Ultimate Gaming Den" which takes the cake, and wins the thread.

Just absolutely amazing, man.

bran

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Some of these setups are awesome.

It's hard to get a decent picture of my room because it's so damn small, but I do also have a 5.1 setup. My 26" Sammy is hooked up to the Pc and the 360.

setup.jpg

Ignore the lamp on the Xbox, I put it there to get some lighting for the shot.

How does it feel to have the full might of the 360 DVD drive blast into your retina like that?

4449143_77ac26e1cd_b.jpg

Love Windows Media Center. TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-52D82U at 120hz

4449154_5d4093d42e_b.jpg

Tools. Love the Harmony.

4449149_c28560d33b_b.jpg

360 / Wii Game collection. I have loads of games in another room for other consoles.

4449138_3f28c11ec2_b.jpg

Almost all Ikea, even the floor. Had to mod the TV stand by drillig holes in the back to make it work. Still have some ventilation work to do on it.

4449157_6044e66664_b.jpg

More Media Center

Kuran

Banned
Ok eXistor, you really made me think this over..

I do not like how you present your games, yes it shows that you love gaming, but it does so in the same way way that a red light district shows how glorious the human body and its generous posibilities are.

I don't know what to do so I can avoid your situation.

I imagine that in five years time I'll be buried in my videogame collection.

What to do, though? Go over my game collection, and make a selection of what to keep and what to sell? The games I'll choose to sell will probably go for minimal profits, and it'll be a ton of work, too.

Sigh.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Warm Machine said:
4449143_77ac26e1cd_b.jpg

Love Windows Media Center. TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-52D82U at 120hz

You running that Vista MCE interface through the 360? Hows the boot time / input lag? I used to run MCE2005 through my 360 and it was too slow for my liking, now I just use the normal video sharing through WMP11 stuff.

Fantastic pictures too! What kind of camera? I love the clean lines and blue accent wall.

DKo5 said:
You running that Vista MCE interface through the 360? Hows the boot time / input lag? I used to run MCE2005 through my 360 and it was too slow for my liking, now I just use the normal video sharing through WMP11 stuff.

Fantastic pictures too! What kind of camera? I love the clean lines and blue accent wall.

Boot time is actually great. Until I discovered that you have to have that WMC auto optimization tool run regularily on the PC end I had horrid boot times (like 5 minutes+).

Input lag is very dependant. Sometimes it is 2 seconds, other times it is instantaneous. There is a bug on the PC end (I think HP related too) where after WMC starts you sometimes have to press the media center button again to get any control. Just have to do it once for the entire session but still can be irritating.

The camera is a Pentax *IstDS. SLR camera 6mp, probably 3 years old now. Love it though, it'll take some convincing for me to ever upgrade it. My lenses and sensor need cleaning though.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Warm Machine said:
Boot time is actually great. Until I discovered that you have to have that WMC auto optimization tool run regularily on the PC end I had horrid boot times (like 5 minutes+).

Input lag is very dependant. Sometimes it is 2 seconds, other times it is instantaneous. There is a bug on the PC end (I think HP related too) where after WMC starts you sometimes have to press the media center button again to get any control. Just have to do it once for the entire session but still can be irritating.

The camera is a Pentax *IstDS. SLR camera 6mp, probably 3 years old now. Love it though, it'll take some convincing for me to ever upgrade it. My lenses and sensor need cleaning though.

I might just try it out now that I've upgraded to Vista Ultimate on my machine. Are you by any chance running via wifi?

eXistor

Kuran said:
Ok eXistor, you really made me think this over..

I do not like how you present your games, yes it shows that you love gaming, but it does so in the same way way that a red light district shows how glorious the human body and its generous posibilities are.

Believe it or not, I agree. It used to be worse than it is now though. I think that my current setup is too messy. It's just that I just have this room to put all my gaming stuff and it's just stuffed to the gills with all kinds of crap. If I had the room, I'd totally redo it and present it in a much neater way. So the Zelda and Final Fantasy displays would be a thing of the past.

But as it stands now it still "works" the way I want it to (I like your Red Light district analogy btw :)) and I'm too lazy to radically redo everything right now. So it'll probably stay this way till I get a place of my own.

DKo5 said:
I might just try it out now that I've upgraded to Vista Ultimate on my machine. Are you by any chance running via wifi?

Yeah, wireless all the way. I can't get HD videos to stream well enough but live SD tv works really well. I had to play around with wireless channels until I found one that my neighbors were not using to get a reliable signal.

I'm hoping, if it is even possible, that they will release a wireless n adaptor for the 360 then I'll upgrade my place for it and HD should then be no problem...then I just have to wait for Canada to get on the ball and allow HD programming through the cable alone and ditch the cable company monopoly on the boxes.

DarkJC

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, wireless all the way. I can't get HD videos to stream well enough but live SD tv works really well. I had to play around with wireless channels until I found one that my neighbors were not using to get a reliable signal.

I'm hoping, if it is even possible, that they will release a wireless n adaptor for the 360 then I'll upgrade my place for it and HD should then be no problem...then I just have to wait for Canada to get on the ball and allow HD programming through the cable alone and ditch the cable company monopoly on the boxes.

I'm fairly sure you can buy wireless N access points now that'll achieve the same thing. Not an official 360 adapter but works almost the same way.

Also, the only way HD will work "through the cable alone" is if all TVs came with a digital tuner built in standard, and that is only going to come when CableCARD is finally sorted out. Expect those boxes for a long time to come.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Niks said:

anyone know of a stand similar to this but with glass doors? I can't stand the lights on the front of my electronics and would need to tint the front of the glass doors to mask the lights.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
alr1ghtstart said:
anyone know of a stand similar to this but with glass doors? I can't stand the lights on the front of my electronics and would need to tint the front of the glass doors to mask the lights.

Might want to take a look at something like the BDI Avion Noir series:

avion_8537_8540.jpg

Here's my updated junk setup:

editedbasement259.jpg

- the PS3 is now the focus (the Dreamcast is hiding behind a bunch of DVDs)
- my parents throw the weirdest shit on those towers

editedcomputer795.jpg

- my PC/360 setup (360 not in picture; it's right on top of the desk)
- brand spankin' new LG Flatron L206WTY something or other
- when or when will MS release an update for the 360 to support 16:10 resolutions natively?!
- old monitor still kicking

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
typo said:
- when or when will MS release an update for the 360 to support 16:10 resolutions natively?!

Never. Microsoft hate people who use monitors :( They should love us, it leaves extra cash for games.

I need a new monitor (Samsung 226BW was awesome but I need something bigger), I'm looking for something 26"-30" now. Needs 1:1 pixel mapping seeing as half of its use will be from a 360 and Microsoft wont ever release the 16:10 support.

eXistor said:
Believe it or not, I agree. It used to be worse than it is now though. I think that my current setup is too messy. It's just that I just have this room to put all my gaming stuff and it's just stuffed to the gills with all kinds of crap. If I had the room, I'd totally redo it and present it in a much neater way. So the Zelda and Final Fantasy displays would be a thing of the past.

But as it stands now it still "works" the way I want it to (I like your Red Light district analogy btw :)) and I'm too lazy to radically redo everything right now. So it'll probably stay this way till I get a place of my own.
It's a rad room. Keep it as long as you can. I used to have a ridiculous room, but as time when on I changed it to make it look more classy.

And seriously, all the people saiyng "I bet he never gets laid" are annoying. Get the tang eXistor.

TomServo

Warm Machine said:
4449154_5d4093d42e_b.jpg

Tools. Love the Harmony.

I love my Harmony as well. Love that it knows commands for my HDTV and receiver that the factory remotes don't have buttons for. I now have direct input selection on the HDTV whereas the stock remote only has one button to cycle through ten inputs, and now have a mute button for my receiver.

Pretty nice bonis, the wife approval factor of the media room went up 10x when I got that thing. She goes in, hits one button, and that's it.

JB1981 said:
All valid points. Still doesn't change the fact that you are anal beyond repair about TVs. That dinky Daewoo might not show banding during Folding@Home but it certainly isn't going to give you the same visual impact that modern 50" 1080p plasma will. Sure, the blacks might not be ideal but give me a break dude! You are insanely picky.

I don't think he's insanely picky. It's just that after you game on something like a 24"GDMFW900, or a calibrated 34"XBR960/XS955 most of the newer technology out there is a downgrade. I do disagree with him about gemoetry on larger CRT's. My GDMFW900 has excellent geometry, near fixed pixel quality. Larger CRT's like my 955 can be corrected but would require a service tech to install additional magnets. (It could get very expensive.)

J2 Cool

Warren Ellis said:
eXistor, you're like the best human being ever :D

I think I'm in love. He absolutely nailed it with Shenmue in the last pic. Also the Futurama poster and 2 beer bottles laying around. Such an awesome man. Damn, all I have to do is keep looking, and I find another amazing thing. Finding Nemo poster, FOTR statues, European/Japanese ICO cover. <3

Top Bottom