• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

Blablurn

qyhaaw.jpg
2m49fo9.jpg

2zylzlg.jpg
i2q4vk.jpg

o1n68.jpg

Sorry for the shitty quality. it's dark and my mobile-cam is not that good.

Blablurn

the two copies of PES5 were an ebay mistake. when I ordered the second copy I forget that I already bid on a different auction. luckily both games did only cost about 2 or 3 euros.

whitehawk: Why "Pirate?"

Bii

I actually like the vanilla spine of PAL game cases. I wouldn't mind if the US did the same but I know others will disagree.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
New Tv, new blu ray collection, and Kinda new set up. I'm planning on getting the TV mounted on my wall and purchasing at least a 3.1 setup for my small room (and eventual apartment).

IMGP1725.jpg

IMGP1731.jpg

IMGP1766.jpg

IMGP1767.jpg

IMGP1773.jpg

Banned

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
65536 said:
Why do they insist on putting glossy bezels on the expensive ranges of TVs, and go with a matte finish on the cheaper models? That looks so much better!

I agree completely. It cleans up the overall look of the television so much more with a simple matte finish.

-viper-

Banned
Minotauro said:
I was planning on waiting until I got a new digital camera to clean up my room and take some new pics but since I probably won't get that done before the new year and this is the 2008 edition of this thread, here are some rough shots of my room in its usual state...

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/inmehd/room1.jpg[/img

[img]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/inmehd/room2.jpg[/img

Sure, I may still live with my mother but goddammit, I've got a comfortable fucking hideaway.[/QUOTE]
What TV and what size?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
wenis said:
New Tv, new blu ray collection, and Kinda new set up. I'm planning on getting the TV mounted on my wall and purchasing at least a 3.1 setup for my small room (and eventual apartment).

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/freebeno12/IMGP1725.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/freebeno12/IMGP1731.jpg[/IM G]

[IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/freebeno12/IMGP1766.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/freebeno12/IMGP1767.jpg[/I MG]

[IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/freebeno12/IMGP1773.jpg[/IMG ][/QUOTE]
Just start out with a stereo system on a decent surround sound reciever. You can upgrade from there as you feel necessary/as your budget allows. Always start off with a couple of solid speakers though (plus sub if your bookshelves/towers don't have a low enough range). Once you get a feel for quality you'll realise how much of a mistake going surround on a small budget would have been.

herod

Did some tidying earlier. Trying to make the whole thing as minimal and simplified as possible. Not too easy with six sources (PS3 is behind the TV on the right, you can make out a corner of it - no IR means it doesn't need to be seen). Need to hide those satellite cables somehow. Apologies on behalf of the iPhone camera, it doesn't like low light (that's a 7w bulb behind the TV!).

2wqfz3l.jpg

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
-viper- said:
What TV and what size?

It's the 42-inch version of the Panasonic PZ85U plasma. I bought it after being dissatisfied with the Sony LCD I bought and have been very happy.

Jaroof

wenis said:

IMGP1725.jpg

Nice Gorillaz poster....
Have anymore that you don't want?? :D

NaviLink

Does anyone remember of a very nice and impressive setup, very clean and simple, almost from a Ikea catalogue ? I remember the TV table had the controllers nicely hidden in drawers. I can't find the pictures anymore, I think they're not online anymore.

wenis said:

IMGP1725.jpg
Where'd you get that PS3 wallpaper? Can you post a link? :D

So, my pal came over last weekend and helped me build my screen. It clocks in at 130" and works well with my Panny projector.

3071899692_15ffb6d488.jpg

3071899734_db9f6d0bde.jpg

3071062793_3d08766a07.jpg

Behind the screen I have some old school Voice of the Theater speakers. These suckers are from a concert hall and can blow out the joint. To make sure it didn't affect the screen, we used acoustically-transparent material (basically lycra).

3071899640_407fc77d9f.jpg

The unit at the back of the room hosts everything. I need to get some kind of cabinet with doors to hide all the gaming equipment. It is kinda crowded back there now.

3071899864_b9dbf59b7a.jpg

Anyway, I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. Thought I would share with people who would appreciate it. Thanks, GAF!

The above photos aren't showing up for me so i just turned them into links (click, load into cache and then they'll appear here):

CousinLump said:
So, my pal came over last weekend and helped me build my screen. It clocks in at 130" and works well with my Panny projector.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BXsVjrWzs4M/STLUkCDJyUI/AAAAAAAAAtY/5kH-JwQwxBE/screen1.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BXsVjrWzs4M/STLUkuu8LDI/AAAAAAAAAtg/6M-mMKi-nqM/screen2.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BXsVjrWzs4M/STLUkzbEQpI/AAAAAAAAAto/uV0t6jaO72Y/screen3.jpg

Behind the screen I have some old school Voice of the Theater speakers. These suckers are from a concert hall and can blow out the joint. To make sure it didn't affect the screen, we used acoustically-transparent material (basically lycra).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BXsVjrWzs4M/STLUmGs_rVI/AAAAAAAAAtw/XiT-b8Cnt1k/speakers.jpg

The unit at the back of the room hosts everything. I need to get some kind of cabinet with doors to hide all the gaming equipment. It is kinda crowded back there now.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BXsVjrWzs4M/STLUms6zyZI/AAAAAAAAAt4/Zcx5mfi9hkY/unit.jpg

Anyway, I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. Thought I would share with people who would appreciate it. Thanks, GAF!

It's hard to tell from the last photo, but your PS3 doesn't seem as if it has much room at all to breathe.

WindBelow

Neo Member
CousinLump said:
Ah, not sure what happened there. Edited for viewing pleasure. Pics should be up now...

I'm jealous man, that's gotta be amazing to play games and watch movies on such a big screen. Congrats.

·feist· said:
It's hard to tell from the last photo, but your PS3 doesn't seem as if it has much room at all to breathe.

Well, half of the back is open, giving some airflow. So far, all seems to be cool with it. I was thinking of standing both the PS3 and 360 up next to each other in the open area (where the 360 currently is). To be frank, though, I don't use the PS3 for much more than Blu Ray. Gaming is mainly done on the 360.

I'm jealous man, that's gotta be amazing to play games and watch movies on such a big screen. Congrats.

Thanks! This room is a compromise between an actual home theater room and a family room. Fits the bill well for me!

Threi

notag
more "HD" this time (yawn - HDMI 1080p, 52" Samsung LN-T5265F)

14boswh.jpg

keg7qt.jpg

Once again i prefer the SDTV. At least it hides graphical flaws :lol

I guess CRT monitor is the way to go to get best of both worlds :)

(btw this is the same dude with the ghetto basement)

reakt

Niks said:
Ok I updated my setup. Its still missing some details but Im getting there.

To do list.
- Hide cable going to surround somehow.
- Move my central channel higher. Probably need to install a cooling fan to the AVR since it barely fits inside the cabinet.

Anyways hope you all like!

2vnql3k.jpg

27yd4ko.jpg

23mvwom.jpg

b7guxk.jpg

New baby. Denon 1909 AVR

21ctc47.jpg
The whole setup is awesome! One question though - does your PS3 not get hot inside the cabinet - I see it's partly open. This is similar to how I have my PS3 set up. If I play a blu-ray then the ps3 fan goes to max speed after a few minutes (kind of annoying!).

sspeedy

Negaiido said:
OMG sorry but thats just horrible
:lol :lol :lol
harsh, but agreed. It reminds me of my friend's mom's house, which has furniture dating back to early 80s and has older furniture in general. I like to have things around me that are fun, but now I shy away from tacky. But hey, to each their own :lol (sorry for the laugh, it's mostly from Negaiido, who failed to hold it back).

bardia

Redid my bedroom set up a bit...stole my dad's speakers and receiver since he's getting new stuff. I don't have any surround sound which sucks...but i've been thinking about getting a soundbar and mounting it below my tv once I have some money...any reccomendations?. Also got a new tower for the PS3...

IMG_0045.jpg

Behind the couch...yes it's messy but it's final exam time :lol

IMG_0046.jpg

Niks

reakt said:
The whole setup is awesome! One question though - does your PS3 not get hot inside the cabinet - I see it's partly open. This is similar to how I have my PS3 set up. If I play a blu-ray then the ps3 fan goes to max speed after a few minutes (kind of annoying!).

Thanks for the comments evryone!!

It has plenty room, that said the fan does come up fairly often but I think its more due that it is a 60GB launch unit.

Broseybrose

EDIT- Added two shots of the rig itself, one close-up...

I got it 07/07 for $600 knowing i was gonna put in an aftermarket gpu. And when i got the 24" LCD, i knew i needed the 384-but bus and 768MB VRAM of the 8800GTX (best card out at the time and its still perfect) to game at 1920x1200 at the highest settings and AA, which I like to do. :D I also picked up an OCZ 600W SXS PSU.

Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM 667
EVGA 8800GTX
OCZ 600W SXS
500GB WDC SATA II
320GB WD MyBook
Vista 32 Home Premium
24" SOYO LCD
Realtek HD Audio / Creative 5.1 Surround Speakers

Also seen in the photos-
Saitek AVI8OR
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Linksys WRT54G
Audio Technica headset mic that I now use for gaming, but originally purchased to sing backups while playing the drums during shows.

Nintendo DS Lite, Korg DS-10, Brain Age 2, Professor Layton, and New SMB. (The DS and my Motozine phone are currently my main sources of excitement.)

I got all sorts of new furniture for my room, and two especially nice glass tables. My tower's underneath, 8800GTX powering a 24" LCD. Got glorious 1920x1200 gaming right from my queen size bed. :lol I wonder how many people do this?

29oh0f4.jpg

Dexter's on - Funky flash glare makes my screen look all funky, but its really crystal clear.
motobrose0044gamingsetumr8.jpg

What's under the table? Saitek AVI8OR and Logitech Dual Action Gamepad for flight sims, racing sims, and Bionic Commando Rearmed. :lol
wcedn8.jpg

The Close-Up
es9qmp.jpg

My Games Drawer - Most other stuff (S)NES is in storage bins atm.
25p3gk6.jpg

Hope you like. Im just glad that my space is finally clean enough to show off! :lol

OH and I almost forgot! Let's take a moment to appreciate the camera phone that made this post possible. I bought MYSELF for my bday, the MOTOROLA MOTOZINE ZN5 with the 5MP Kodak camera! What! Im in love with this phone you have no idea...
motozinezn5cellphonerevhq0.jpg

Bii

Broseybrose said:
I got all sorts of new furniture for my room, and two especially nice glass tables. My tower's underneath, 8800GTX powering a 24" LCD. Got glorious 1920x1200 gaming right from my queen size bed. :lol I wonder how many people do this?

http://i36.tinypic.com/29oh0f4.jpg

Where'd you get those glass tables from? I've been looking into getting one but haven't found one I've liked until I saw yours.

cresto

Broseybrose said:

29oh0f4.jpg

Dexter's on - Funky flash glare makes my screen look all funky, but its crystal clear.
motobrose0044gamingsetumr8.jpg

My Games Drawer - Most other stuff (S)NES is in storage bins atm.
25p3gk6.jpg

Hope you like. Im just glad that my space is finally clean enough to show off! :lol

OH and I almost forgot! Let's take a moment to appreciate the camera phone I bought MYSELF for my bday, the MOTOROLA MOTOZINE ZN5 with the 5MP Kodak camera! What! Im in love with this phone you have no idea...
motozinezn5cellphonerevhq0.jpg
Yes! You watch dexter too! This season is AWESOME! Shit's gettin' real right now

Broseybrose

Its not about Dexter man its about the pictures and what is captured in them man!
still not sold on this season but still best show on tv

DaFish

Need a question answered here:

I ordered this receiver from Amazon (Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver) and all I want to know is... Can I output to 1080p (PS3 not upscaling)? I'm confused about the description and the AVS forums are conflicting. It comes in the mail tomorrow, want to know before I return it and spend more moneyzz

700d8d8931e329f0922d8c0521e7e028

aznpxdd

Finally set up everything. Moved back home after graduating, now time to search for a job in this crap economy...

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

Just gotta clean up the wires.

Another shot of the room.

IMG_2467.jpg

sangreal

DaFish said:
Need a question answered here:

I ordered this receiver from Amazon (Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver) and all I want to know is... Can I output to 1080p (PS3 not upscaling)? I'm confused about the description and the AVS forums are conflicting. It comes in the mail tomorrow, want to know before I return it and spend more moneyzz

700d8d8931e329f0922d8c0521e7e028

Not really the right thread for this, but yes it will upscale to 1080p. It isn't known to be amazing at scaling though

(I have the S6100 set which includes this receiver)

Loxley

In before people have an aneurysm because someone posted stock photo of a product he doesn't have yet to take an actual picture of.

shpankey

not an idiot
I have the 805 Onkyo and it has 1080p, 1080i, 720p upscaling. Also has "Auto" mode and "Through" mode.

I find I can't upscale most TV shows on my DISH HD DVR though, for some reason it's very jumpy with framerate hiccups. DVD's upscale fine however.

Also, not fore sure, but you may need to be using the HDMI for this to work.

Top Bottom