• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

Stupid question but the knock on 4k is that "there is barely any content available in 4K"

Does OLED suffer from this as well, or are regular resolutions way better looking on OLED too?
OLED is just a display type like LCD or LED. I believe the downfall is their color dies down significantly over time.

Stupid question but the knock on 4k is that "there is barely any content available in 4K"

Does OLED suffer from this as well, or are regular resolutions way better looking on OLED too?

No, that is OLED's strength. It makes all 1080p content look better.

The main issue I encounter with content is that h264 encoding is very aggressive in the dark areas/shadows, while the OLED is pretty good at showing detail in the shadows. This causes macroblocking and banding to be much more evident than usual in dark scenes.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
and internally.... (I know cable management could be improved)

gvqJQk9l.jpg

Wow. That poor gpu. And is it mounted vertically, instead of horizontally? I have never seen this before ... How do you connect the gpu to the motherboard?

Nice setup otherwise :)

Wow. That poor gpu. And is it mounted vertically, instead of horizontally? I have never seen this before ... How do you connect the gpu to the motherboard?

Nice setup otherwise :)

It's just because it's the original Bitfenix Prodigy case where the motherboard position is flat rather than vertical so then the GFX card has to be also. The revised Bitfenix Prodigy M was amended so that the mobo is vertical but I'd already bought the original case. My 970 still stays pretty cool and quiet so it's not an issue. I wanted a mini ITX case due to the size, which is great. It's just more of a struggle to do tidy cable management in a small case. It's tidy enough for me anyway. Airflow is good, and my temps are OK just looks a little messy.

openrob

OK I need some help with my TV area. Now I know this isn't the best pic (and the house needs tidying, but whatevs)

How should I organize this area. I don't mind buying/building stands/storage. This is at the endo of my living room. There aer windows on both walls (as you can see). I have a corner sofa in the corner on the right. So, what should I do?

Thanks

So...No advice?
:(

ngower

Seems like the appropriate thread (over starting a new one: how do you guys store your controllers? Went to play some MK8 today and my Wii U Pro controller was dead, likely from something being pressed on accident quite a bit while it was in a box (a loosely filled box) of other controllers. I need to get my controllers some space to breath, but I also don't have a whole lot of space to work with. Anyone care to share how you store these little devils?

Seems like the appropriate thread (over starting a new one: how do you guys store your controllers? Went to play some MK8 today and my Wii U Pro controller was dead, likely from something being pressed on accident quite a bit while it was in a box (a loosely filled box) of other controllers. I need to get my controllers some space to breath, but I also don't have a whole lot of space to work with. Anyone care to share how you store these little devils?

On the lil shelf below my coffee table.

Standup workstation

Connected to the living room TV w/ PS4

Inside the case:

i7-3930k @ 4.6 (dedicated cooling loop XSPC or something, I forget the model)
2x GTX980 (dedicated cooling loop Koolance EXT-440)
16gb RAM

This is literally a 2014 edition for me, as I only got here in December and am going to be moving in January to Hawaii. Anyway...
1X2kfoB.jpg

What going on here:
-laptop connected to 22'' TV for dual screen
-37" TV
-Xbox One (although it typically isn't in here, usually in living room) and Xbox 360. Both are behind the TV because space is limited guise.
dfnrkZp.jpg

As for here:
-60" TV
-A comfy as shit couch
-A kinect that is usually hooked up to the Xbox One

I also have a PS3, but that's in Kuwait with my stepdad. Not in the pictures: My 3DS, Vita, and Phone, which I typically play on mah bed.

e90Mark

Quick photo of my set up in my bedroom. On the left is my desk, where my gaming rig used to be. It's stuck in the corner now unused, lol. I have my blu-rays on the top shelf. Games on the middle with the LBP2 book ends.

Dat antenna. Much cable management

TV: Sony kdl47w802a - Love this tv, got it a few months ago.
Apple TV
TB PX4 amp
Launch PS4
SO Xbox One bundle

My bed is right in front of the TV set up for ultimate comfiness while gaming.

TEDgu8y.png

Ashtrax

Been lurking on this thread for quite a while, getting ideas from each of the photos that I could apply to my own setup. Some wicked pics here I must say though!

But now it's finally time to share!

The first pics are of my PC gaming / office / collection space, which I recently refreshed the room with new poster frames from my Zelda Club Nintendo set to swap my existing Dead Space trilogy set (which are now in the main hallway). I also swapped in new desks so I could create a second space for my wife who can just use the mac to browse or check her emails (which also acts as a media server to the house, with enough space to in front to use her gaming notebook (hence the massive mouse pad!)

The far left screen is for my secondary PS3 and PS TV, which is handy if the missus wants to watch something in the lounge where my main consoles are.

Mk8Ty3S.jpg

9errSVG.jpg

gApnshG.jpg

The lounge room houses all of my main consoles. I've got a wired 5.1 setup, with small rear bookshelf speakers that you can't see in the pic. I've managed to keep as much to a minimum and get most of the gear is at the cabinet. I did have a full gaming HTPC at one point where the turntable is, but we decided to hook up my mac mini for media streaming instead, and pick up a gaming notebook.

B1IF8GL.jpg

e06IS3p.jpg

The only thing I don't like is the cabling, no matter how hard I try, it just always sucks. Cables are too long, too short, and it's just a hassle, so trying to conceal it is the best method as it stands.

Standup workstation

Connected to the living room TV w/ PS4

Inside the case:

i7-3930k @ 4.6 (dedicated cooling loop XSPC or something, I forget the model)
2x GTX980 (dedicated cooling loop Koolance EXT-440)
16gb RAM

RAM isn't totally seated in this photo.. I'm guessing you're aware though (?).

http://i.imgur.com/5xtnxTR.jpg[img]

Got a new tv table. The PS4 sits inside the open drawer next to that white thing. Cats on the right.

Love that damn OLED.[/QUOTE]

Apologies if you've already answered this question, but what kind of TV is that? People seem to be talking about it but I didn't see a post that mentioned a model.

Been lurking on this thread for quite a while, getting ideas from each of the photos that I could apply to my own setup. Some wicked pics here I must say though!

The first pics are of my PC gaming / office / collection space, which I recently refreshed the room with new poster frames from my Zelda Club Nintendo set to swap my existing Dead Space trilogy set (which are now in the main hallway). I also swapped in new desks so I could create a second space for my wife who can just use the mac to browse or check her emails (which also acts as a media server to the house, with enough space to in front to use her gaming notebook (hence the massive mouse pad!)

The far left screen is for my secondary PS3 and PS TV, which is handy if the missus wants to watch something in the lounge where my main consoles are.

Mk8Ty3S.jpg

9errSVG.jpg

gApnshG.jpg

The lounge room houses all of my main consoles. I've got a wired 5.1 setup, with small rear bookshelf speakers that you can't see in the pic. I've managed to keep as much to a minimum and get most of the gear is at the cabinet. I did have a full gaming HTPC at one point where the turntable is, but we decided to hook up my mac mini for media streaming instead, and pick up a gaming notebook.

B1IF8GL.jpg

e06IS3p.jpg

The only thing I don't like is the cabling, no matter how hard I try, it just always sucks. Cables are too long, too short, and it's just a hassle, so trying to conceal it is the best method as it stands.

Geez your place is awesome! I really like it

Ashtrax

Geez your place is awesome! I really like it

Cheers! It's been a long journey of tweaks and adjustments to the hardware and furniture, especially as when my wife and I have moved in the past, furniture wouldn't work the way we wanted to in the next, so it's always comes down to a new upgrade.

The trick now is containing the collectibles... I'm a bit of a sucker for statues as well, and I'm trying to contain it in that room. I'm open to suggestions!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
after a lot of mistakes

Somewhere way down the line Im probably going to redo the control panel as im not quite as bad a carpenter as I was when i built that part.

That's quite awesome! How long did it take to put that together?

This is literally a 2014 edition for me, as I only got here in December and am going to be moving in January to Hawaii. Anyway...

You can't be taking all of your gear to hawaii?

Mk8Ty3S.jpg

9errSVG.jpg

gApnshG.jpg

B1IF8GL.jpg

e06IS3p.jpg

Nice setup! It's very clean. Can you share what computer desks those are and where you got them?

Ashtrax

Nice setup! It's very clean. Can you share what computer desks those are and where you got them?

Cheers! I'm a little bit obsessive with organisation (except when it comes to cabling grrr)

The desks are from IKEA! I believe they are the Linnmon Table Tops (White Glossy 150x75) coupled with the Gerton adjustable legs (but those are an absolute struggle to do with, the instructions really need some additional writing just so you know how the mechanism works.

Ashtrax

Had the place renovated early this year. Finally got around to taking a picture. Furniture is Ikea.

Really sleek design, love it. I Wish I could renovate, as that really is the key to setting up something awesome, but alas, renting.

By the way, is that a sound bar mounted on top?

Really sleek design, love it. I Wish I could renovate, as that really is the key to setting up something awesome, but alas, renting.

By the way, is that a sound bar mounted on top?

Yeah, a higher end Yamaha one. It is recommended to mount them on top as opposed to below for the best surround. Also lower and the speakers on it would be trying to bounce sound off the sofas. Had to do the soundbar as my place is impossible to do balanced 5.1. I miss my old setup but this place has 3 bedrooms.

Thank you!

Love that table, but cant find it in Ikea America.

Yeah I think it is discontinued. It has a steel frame so it is really heavy. The top of it is a little scratched up. It was a bitch to put together.

XJF

So my BRAVIA KDL70W850B is having some radial banding issues.. Called SONY yesterday, they had me email the support people some pics and said I'd receive a response in 3-5 days. They called me 26 hours later and began the exchange process. I asked if they'd give me the same TV (meaning model) and the gentleman replied "Same or better".
Not sure I want another 70 since i've read a lot of them have RB issues. Here's to hoping i score a 4K lol He said new TV should arrive in 5-7 business days, maybe a bit longer due to the Holiday. I'll post updated pic when new TV arrives!

Kilrathi

Clean up all the wires bit in my living room

20141121_205731.jpg

20141121_205708.jpg

Here what looks from the front now
20141121_205634.jpg

Wireless Bridge, 5 port HDMI switch, Z632 speakers, XP500 Headset (rather have headphones but I sit pretty far from the TV), 360 S, Xbox One, PS4, PS3 Slim, Wii U, Cable hooked up.

Top Bottom