• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your RETRO Gaming Setup

Huggers

Saw some of the good people over in the CRT/PVM thread discussing this and it had been on my mind to start this thread for a while anyway.

My own retro setup is has evolved a lot as I've added new systems etc. Look forward to checking out yours. Here's mine at present. Thinking about adding either a Neo Geo or a TG16 next

11Nsdo2.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Retro and modern combined!

HKlb.jpg

Plus I see the bad version of SotN in the OP with uneven pixel distribution. I bought that awful thing too.

Bancho

I'll add mine to get the ball rolling as i already have pics

My soon to be "Mobile" retro centre i just today put together. Need to add a shelf and some castors.

2015-02-22%2012.27.36.jpg

My main retro corner. Had to make the most of the space in our small house. Need a new unit as this one is bending with the weight of the monitor hahaha.

IMG_50382.jpg

P/Q of the JVC monitor with my RGB famicom hooked up.

IMG_5034.jpg

Upstairs in my closet hahaha. Anywhere there is a bit of space.

2014-10-071855182.jpg

dark10x

Yeah it's shite. The PAL PS1 version though costs a bomb so I'm kinda on the fence about it
No, I know. I bought it too since I found the Saturn version for like 40 Euro a while ago and didn't realize that it had scaling issues.

The JP PS1 version is quite cheap, however, and the easiest way to get a good version of the game.

Huggers

No, I know. I bought it too since I found the Saturn version for like 40 Euro a while ago and didn't realize that it had scaling issues.

The JP PS1 version is quite cheap, however, and the easiest way to get a good version of the game.

Yeah I considered this but I kinda want the English text version. Plus the CD soundtrack etc is cool. Might have to wait a while though

Where might I find a bvm?

I found mine on Ebay. Took a good while though before one came up that was within fetching distance

Seik

Banned
Still rocking it with a good old CRT in my bedroom for the pre-PSX games.

Here you have the TV with the Saturn hooked on it, the other console are all in separate bags in my closet because all the consoles out would take way too much space.

R7W4Pol.jpg

There's absolutely no clothes in that piece of furniture, all my cartridge based games are in there (Except for DS/3DS/VITA which are on other shelves, but we're talking retro here). :)

I'm convinced there's no way to display classic games and consoles in an interesting way unless it's in a dedicated game room or retro room.

Rich!

jiWrmIpc94lQv.jpg

Framemeister XRGB Mini upscaler, Mega Drive MK1, RGB Modded custom white N64, RGB Modded SNES Mini, PS1 PAL with modchip/multi region and RGB out, GameCube with RGB out (and recently, a game boy player)

jiWrmIpc94lQv.jpg

Framemeister XRGB Mini upscaler, Mega Drive MK1, RGB Modded custom white N64, RGB Modded SNES Mini, PS1 PAL with modchip/multi region and RGB out, GameCube with RGB out (and recently, a game boy player)

That WHITE N64 is a thing of beauty. The worst/best thing about these threads is you end up NEEDING things that had never even crept into your mind...

Ramune

Meh, I guess I'll lurk for the time being. With staying with my folks until I can get a place to move into and not worry about my stuff getting stolen. ^_^;

That said, there's a bunch of CRTs, what with my PC CRT monitor and two PVMs and the regular tubes they have lying around. Just not enough room. I'll show what I mean when I finish work.

antibolo

Banned
Alright so here's my AWESOME hybrid setup in my living room:
WV7QMbG.jpg

Now you are probably wondering "what's so awesome about this?" Well here is the deal: both screens (the HDTV and the PVM) are placed perpendicularly to each other, each with a couch in front of them. To play one or the other, you just go to the appropriate couch. OH MY GOD THAT'S LIKE TWO LIVING ROOMS WITHIN A SINGLE SPACE, HOW CLEVER

Let's look at each section separately:

The "retro" side
fVEcyZs.jpg

Top row: SNES (on subwoofer), Genesis 2 with Sega CD 2, Sony PVM 20M2U, consolized Neo Geo MVS by jamma-nation-x.com
Bottom row: "Super 8" NES clone, RGB+region modded PCE Duo-R by doujindance, Sega Saturn, Bandridge manual 5 port SCART switch

The "mostly but not entirely modern" side
QshqnYt.jpg

Top row: Mac Mini 2010 (used as HTPC and for audio rerouting, more on that below), PS2
Middle row: Xbox 360, AV amp (with PSTV on top of it), PS3 (also have a PS4 in my bedroom that I occasionally swap with it)
Bottom row: Wii U, collection of arcade sticks, Dreamcast

Getting proper audio
As I'm using the same AV amp and speakers for both setups, this posed an interesting challenge due to the stereo effect being initially wrong on the retro side. To fix this, I have routed all sound from that side to the line-in port of my Mac Mini, and then with this very handy app called "LineIn", I can forward it to the proper 5.1 channels (left -> front right, right -> back right) to get the proper stereo effect.

Switchable display
Both the Dreamcast and PS2 are located so that they can easily be switched between the HTDTV and the PVM, depending on what's best for each individual game. For the Dreamcast this is simply done by switching the VGA box between VGA (HDTV) and S-video (PVM), for the PS2 this requires a cable swap but it's set up to be as less hassle as possible.

Gameboy415

Here's some older pics of my game room:

GameRoom1.jpg

The TV is a Sony XBR960 which, in my opinion, is one of (if not the) best CRT TVs out there and I've got everything hooked up via the best possible cables available for each console via multiple system selectors.
I have a US Gamecube, JP Panasonic Q, US Wii, US PS2 Slim, and JP PS2 Slim hooked up under the TV.
Also, I've completely re-organized the the games on that shelf since I took this picture - that entire shelf is all Nintendo games now. :)

TowerofPower1.jpg

Here's what one of my friends nick-named the 'Tower of Power' with the majority of my consoles.
I have my NES & SNES on the Nintendo shelf and the Virtual Boy store display I got at Blockbuster back in the day on top.

Here are a few close-ups of the lower stands.
TowerofPower3.jpg

TowerofPower4.jpg

I can't think of any major changes I've made to this console line-up other than swapping out the Neo Geo CD (which I still have) for a Neo Geo X dock and swapping the N64 with a Jungle Green variant.
Oh and my JP Saturn (which you can partially see behind the TG-16) and my Master System are tucked away behind the other systems.

AEREC

Not much at the moment:

20150222_092407.jpg

There's a retro game shop nearby and I was thinking of grabbing a NES and N64 at some point.

Do scanline filters on modern emulation acuartely represent how old CRT tvs look?

I honestly cant remember what games on old TVs look like. The scanlines on emulators always seem over the top to me, too exaggerated. Figure this is as good a thread to ask in as any.

New002

Re-posting from the gaming setup thread. No CRT so I have to make do with the HDTV. I've tried to switch the old consoles to VGA/Component/S-video where possible.

Man these gaming setups are no joke...

Here's a quick look into my den space. The Xbox One, Wii U and HTPC are hooked up to the main TV in the living room. Also, it doesn't look as messy when you're sitting in there I swear >_>

15986540774_c50ccd2e78_b.jpg

dark10x

Do scanline filters on modern emulation acuartely represent how old CRT tvs look?

I honestly cant remember what games on old TVs look like. The scanlines on emulators always seem over the top to me, too exaggerated. Figure this is as good a thread to ask in as any.
Just for fun, here's a shot some other Gaffer took from a CRT TV (photo)

10934100_10100969569536780_8899135478039326019_o.jpg

Here's a shot I captured from an XRGB Mini from an N64...

zdnb.png

It's definitely not perfectly accurate but it does a decent job of matching the real deal. Colors are slightly off due to trying to mimic an off-screen photo but you get the idea.

Everyone in the CRT thread was saying "Haha mine is such a mess," so I figured I wouldn't be embarrassed to post my meager, cramped, messy setup, but after seeing the photos... Well, here they are anyway. I'm looking forward to the end of April when I move into a bigger place and can have this PVM on its own table.

P5FvRoL.jpg

KVhitR9.jpg

btrboyev

Everyone in the CRT thread was saying "Haha mine is such a mess," so I figured I wouldn't be embarrassed to post my meager, cramped, messy setup, but after seeing the photos... Well, here they are anyway. I'm looking forward to the end of April when I move into a bigger place and can have this PVM on its own table.

P5FvRoL.jpg

KVhitR9.jpg

You should retro bright your Snes

Mercutio

OldConsoleSetup01.jpg

From top to bottom, left to right: Saturn, 3DO, Toshiba CRT, daughter, SNES, Genesis, PC Engine.

Huh. I've got one of those "daughter" consoles on order. The shipper says it's still 4 months out though. Do they take cartridges or discs, and what is the sync setting I should use on my XRGB?

jerry1594

Re-posting from the gaming setup thread. No CRT so I have to make do with the HDTV. I've tried to switch the old consoles to VGA/Component/S-video where possible.
So jelly. By the way, aren't there single person sega cabs? I swear I've seen them but i cant find pics or info (not Vs City)

New002

So jelly. By the way, aren't there single person sega cabs? I swear I've seen them but i cant find pics or info (not Vs City)

It just depends on what control panel you have installed. You can buy a single player control panel and just switch it out.

Here is an example from someone else on the forum:

You should retro bright your Snes

I'd never heard of that before now, thanks. It's not actually my SNES, and the guy I'm borrowing it from declined me replacing the back panel to fix the loose power plug issue, so he may not go for it. But it's worth a shot!

red720

I don't have any old consoles hooked up. My gaming setup basically this, a PS4 and a couple of years old gaming laptop.

eXistor

I should clean up my current setup and take my final pictures before moving to my new place one of these days. And when that's all done I'll take pictures of my all-new and (hopefully) improved setup. Some cool ones in here already btw, I always enjoy seeing people's love for games expressed in their rooms.

Top Bottom