• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Showdown:Legends Of Wrestling Impressions

First off, it's good. Its much better then the first LOW control wise. Lets get that out of the way right now. The controls do feel a tad sluggish, but nothing compared to the first game. I haven't noticed that delayed striking that the first game had. Its much better. It plays well so far, definitely. My only gripe is it feels a tad sluggish at times. Is it unresponsive though? No. Not so far at least. All said, it shows work has been done.

As far as glitches go, I've played three matches so far. UW VS Hogan, Bulldogs VS Roadies, and an 8 Man tag match. I saw two glitches, which were miseed animation on a chinlock and a DDT. In both cases there was some clipping, the wrestler grabbed a little to close or a little to far.

The movesets seem pretty good for the most part. There are some things I will change, but its a big step up over the previous game. One thing I have noticed is that the movesets seem light. Like there aren't as many moves. The game has a more brawling pace to it. Don't get me wrong, its not like the first RAW game where its nonstop punching. But, its light in the moveset department...this game feels more like something you'll play with your buddies then over and over by yourself.

Graphics are fantastic. All the wrestlers look incredible...really, you will smile when you see these guys if you are an old school fan. Arena's are terrific, and they did a great job with the rings and mats giving off the old school look and feel. There are new looking places as well. Blood is some of the best I've seen in a game, if that's your thing. On that note, The Roadies immeditaely busted open the bulldogs. I thought that was pretty cool.

Camera angles are great. Sometimes its just like TV. Also they did away with the God awful tag team angles that have plagued the previous LOW.

Selling is more or less the same in the gamingring videos, if not a little better at times. I've seen guys get up from dominators at the start/mid of a match, but I've also seen them stay down from punches and whatnot at the beginning. Near the end everyone sells.

Animation is great, especially for move reversals. Lots of cool stuff going on.

Very easy to pick up and play.

CAL seems somewhat decent. Not great, but not that bad either.

I have not seen Million Dollar Man's outfit! WTF, he has a white suit, black suit, blue trunks, and red trunks. wtf...

All in all, its a good game. I'd probably give it an 8/10 if I had to right now, I've only played 3 matches...but its a huge step up over the first LOW. Is it the best wrestler out there? No way...its to light in the movesets department, and has to many little problems with selling, sluggish controls ecd. That being said, its allot of fun. Definitely. The controls are easy to pick up and play, and they are definitely decent. This seems like a terrific game to play with friends. Those looking for the be all, end all single player experience probably should look elsewhere.

Played a little more. I'd knock it down from an 8 to a 7 overall. Not a bad game, not at all. I imagine its allot of fun with nostalgic friends. Its just very simplistic at times, a bit light feeling. I've seen more clipping glitches, but they haven't really affected my gameplay. Frankly, I think people are making to big a deal about them. The main problem is the light feeling of the game.

My advice is not to buy if you are looking for a pure single player experience, maybe rent it a few times or wait for it to go down in price. I would pay $30 for this. If you have friends who like this kind of thing, I think it may be worth it. Maybe.

Don't think I'm knocking the game. Its much better then the previous LOW. And, I am having fun with it. I just don't see myself replaying it that way I did with the really great wrestling games.

Yes, I just saw some teleporting.

WarPig

There's a triple shit-ton of teleporting. Also animation glitches out the ass. Also clipping out the ass -- put Abdullah the Butcher in a Boston crab for a good laugh. Wickedly poor collision detection all over the place. The backrake animation is fucking ridiculous, from the right angle you can watch it whiff by a good foot. There's no rhyme or reason to the move selling, of course -- it's in the Smackdown 3 zone where guys kip up at random.

The reversal animations are shit, by the way. If you think that's good reversal animation, for fuck's sake go play something like VF4 that has competent IK.

DFS.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well looks like I wont be getting this game then.

Does ACKLAME actually have a fucking Q&A department. This sounds as pathetic as their port of Crazy Taxi.

WarPig

Brian Fellows said:
Well looks like I wont be getting this game then.

Does ACKLAME actually have a fucking Q&A department. This sounds as pathetic as their port of Crazy Taxi.

It is not as bad as Crazy Taxi. Whatever may be wrong with Showdown, at least the arena doesn't disappear at random.

DFS.

to be fair i can get alot of teleporting going in sd hctp also, but yeah showdown is a bit unpolished

Ill break it down

If you like old school wwf and do not mind a TOTAL arcade styled wrestling game: Buy

If you are any other kind of wwf/wrestling game fan: Rent First

If you ARE not a wrestling fan: Dont bother

WarPig said:
There's a triple shit-ton of teleporting. Also animation glitches out the ass. Also clipping out the ass -- put Abdullah the Butcher in a Boston crab for a good laugh. Wickedly poor collision detection all over the place. The backrake animation is fucking ridiculous, from the right angle you can watch it whiff by a good foot. There's no rhyme or reason to the move selling, of course -- it's in the Smackdown 3 zone where guys kip up at random.

The reversal animations are shit, by the way. If you think that's good reversal animation, for fuck's sake go play something like VF4 that has competent IK.

DFS.

I like the reversals. I've played about every wrestling game there is, and I think they are good. My opinion, sue me.

One thing I noticed, which really sucks is you can only clone and edit the wrestlers movesets. That means you only get 1 uniform, and no custom titantron entrances. The Dynamite Kid's moveset was way off, so I spent time changing it into a realitis one. Only thing is there are so little moves in the game, that it isn't worthwhile to spend that much time with every guy.

I'm a little dissapointed, but I'm also happy with it. Like ZSS said, its fun if you want an arcade style wrestlefest type game.

evil ways

I picked up my copy, and even got $10 back from Gamestop since it seems the game is supposed to retail for $39.99. I'm afraid to open it, but I'll probably do it tonight, after I hear more impressions.

Kingpen

Dang, I got my call at my office phone telling me my copy was there, but now I don't know if I want to go. Did anyone get it at gamestop? I heard that this game is only suppossed to retail for 39.99? Can anyone confirm. I might bite on it if it is that price...

So is this just a stinker of a game, or is it a game that is fun to play as if you are willing to put up with some of the graphical annoyances? Is it fun to play at least? Or is it really frustrating. People say that it is worth it for a cheaper price, like 20 or 30 bucks.. I would only be out of pocket 3 crap games and 15 bucks on this one, but I still don't know if that is worth it... The guy at gamingring said it was fun and he gave it a 9, but everyone else is giving it really bad scores. I don't know what to believe. I would be willing to put up with the odd teleporting or occasional glitches if they didn't happen every single time, and also if the gameplay seemed fun...

DANG IT, I really loved Wrestlefest too, which this game is compared at being the 3-D version of...

HELP!

WarPig

There is one good thing about the game: the intro movie is set to "Bang Your Head" by Quiet Riot.

I have no fucking clue how comparing this shit to WrestleFest is supposed to be a compliment, by the way. When did that game come out? Nineteen ninety-fucking-one?

DFS.

WarPig said:
I have no fucking clue how comparing this shit to WrestleFest is supposed to be a compliment, by the way. When did that game come out? Nineteen ninety-fucking-one?

DFS.

Jesus christ, stop your whining. We get that you don't like the game. Its a compliment because wrestlefest was a fun type of arcade wwf wrestler. That's all. I hope you understand after my explanation. Let me know if you need me to repeat it.

So is this just a stinker of a game, or is it a game that is fun to play as if you are willing to put up with some of the graphical annoyances? Is it fun to play at least? Or is it really frustrating. People say that it is worth it for a cheaper price, like 20 or 30 bucks.. I would only be out of pocket 3 crap games and 15 bucks on this one, but I still don't know if that is worth it... The guy at gamingring said it was fun and he gave it a 9, but everyone else is giving it really bad scores. I don't know what to believe. I would be willing to put up with the odd teleporting or occasional glitches if they didn't happen every single time, and also if the gameplay seemed fun...

I would pay 20-30 bucks for this. It seems like it would be a fun multiplayer game. Most people bitching about the clipping and shit fail to remember how bad the clipping was in other great wrestling games. Granted, this is not a great wrestling game and the players didn't teleport in the other games (which I've seen once or twce in a few hours of play).

Its not deep at all. If you go into this looking for a kick ass single player wrestler, forget it. The AI isn't good, and the movesets are lacking. The CAW seems lame to me as well. Edit a legend isn't all its cracked up to be, its clone a legend. Once the appeal of playing as classic wrestlers wears off, I doubt I'll play it much anymore. I'll probably bring it out when friends are over and we want a fun, quick game.

Kingpen

Thanks Biff, I think you and I were some of the more hyped up people for this game and I thank you for taking the plunge into uncharted waters. You just saved me 40 or 50 bucks though.... I will wait for the superior Def Jam for my wrestling game needs. I am so disapointed that this game failed to deliver. With so many great games coming out this fall for all genres, it is wise not to throw money away. I have seen the same stuff all over the net as well, so it isn't like this board is the only one saying it. I would even rather put this money I have towards WWE Day of Reckoning before blowing it on this, that looks like it may have potential, even though I don't really like the roster....

Darn what a shame... Acclaim needs to learn something from Midway. Both were companies that had fallen on hard times, Midway is really pulling a resurrection act while Acclaim is going right down the shitter...

Your welcome, Kingpen. The game isn't alll bad, but its certainly not a $50 purchase. I have nothing else I want right now,so I don't care for spending the whole thing. I'm having fun with it, but I can't recommend it as a great wrestling game. In the end I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. It has some posatives, it really does. Unfortunately, it just doesn't do enough right. Still, I'm playing it now...kinda fun.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I played the game at a friends place.. sadly, I wont be getting this.

I could deal with so so gameplay (which this has), but there is absolutely no reason for any game to ever be released that has this many bugs. With this roster, they only had to deliever a marginal gaming experience to get most old school fans on board, and they couldnt even muster that. Way to go ack lame.

evil ways

Well fuck I finally caved in and opened my copy, now I'm ripping the hair off my pits wishing I wouldn't have. Here's my view:

Avoid this game like the plague.

Bugs and glitches galore, collision detection problems out the ass and you can no longer edit existing wrestler's move(even though Acclaim confirmed it many times). Aside from the roster and the arenas the game is ass, dirty, smelly, sweaty ass.

How a game like this got past bug & quality testing, I'll never know. It's bad, not as in bad gameplay(even though the gameplay is a bit sloppy) but bad as in glitchy and buggy. One example, I'm playing as Warrior and I'm halfway across the ring from Mr. Perfect, Mr. Perfect punches and I counter the punch from that far away. Put a headlock on an opponent that is on the ground, and it looks like you are grabbing thin air while your opponents head comes through your back.

Technically speaking, this game is the Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom bug tunnel of wrestling games.

Things like that happen at least 5-7 times during each match. Give your opponent 6 powerbombs one after the other and he gets up like nothing happened, but suddenly the CPU punches you and you go into auto dizzy mode.

Listen to IGN(5.9/10) and Gamespot(6.5/10), save your money!!

This game is dirty, Acclaim is evil, 666 devil!! *makes cross sign*

I'm taking it back for either Psi Ops or Spiderman 2, hell, even Ultimate Muscle for PS2 might be better.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mike Regan must have been on the ACKLAME payroll. The only really good thing about this game in the roster. Other then that everything else ranges from mediocre(actual gameplay) to really shitty(CAL).

Brian Fellows said:
Mike Regan must have been on the ACKLAME payroll. The only really good thing about this game in the roster. Other then that everything else ranges from mediocre(actual gameplay) to really shitty(CAL).

Agreed I think im trade it back for megaman anniversary tommrrow

Top Bottom