• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shredders game announced - coming to XSX 2021

Didn't find a thread on this and only found it today, looks sweet as. I must have missed it in the ID@Xbox segment. I'm a long time skier who dabbled in snowboarding but sucked. Love the atmosphere and physics in this game so far.

Shredders puts you on top of the coolest slopes, freeride spots and snowparks. It aims to recreate the sheer joy of riding down a mountain. Shredders will bring you high-end graphics, next-gen physics and a perfect blend between fun and realism, all in a social context. See you on the slopes in 2021! - coming to Xbox Series X in 2021!

Also confirmed to be multiplayer -

Shredders will have multiplayer baked into its core, so you can explore the vast mountain range on your own, or discover the best spots with your friends.

0isYSdP.gif

ItjSxDa.gif

Last edited:

CamHostage

Oh good, somebody made an OT about this, I saw this in the ID@Xbox reel and was surprised nobody was hyped for it. This game looked f'ing amazing in the little trailer, I'd like to know more about how it plays and what it's doing for those looks.

(The developers talked a lot about Amped being a big inspiration for the project, I wonder if there are team members from the old Indie Built on Shredders?)

Last edited:
Oh good, somebody made an OT about this, I saw this in the ID@Xbox reel and was surprised nobody was hyped for it. This game looked f'ing amazing in the little trailer, I'd like to know more about how it plays and what it's doing for those looks.

(The developers talked a lot about Amped being a big inspiration for the project, I wonder if there are team members from the old Indie Built on Shredders?)

There was a little more info from the dev on Kotaku

“I’ve made several other snowboarding prototypes over the past few years,” Van Welden told Kotaku via email. “Some I posted on my Twitter, like SNWPRK. It’s been a dream of mine to create something like Amped Snowboarding, but I realised it needed a big team and budget. Fast forward to the end of 2018, and I found another dev who had been working on a snowboarding game for several years. I had some calls with him and took the plane to meet him personally, and we immediately felt that we had a similar vision for our ultimate snowboarding game.”

CamHostage

Yep, saw a snippet of that, but good addition.

Sounds like there are not Amped team members on this, they just crave an Amped on a modern gaming console, however the two development teams (I-Illusions and LetItRoll) have published games before, and in fact LetItRoll have a previous downhill game from 2018 called The Snowboard Game to check out

This appears to have been made on Unity Engine (UE 2019.4), which is something of note. We haven't heard much about Unity regarding next-gen consoles (or really any engine besides UE5...) and Unity has been in a bit of a struggle recently (it also is not a NeoGAF fave due to some common performance frustrations, especially in its breakout times a few years back,) but I'm interested to see how Unity plays with this generation's hardware. Maybe we'll hear more about Unity on PS5/Series X at GDC Summer next week. Shredders is a promising showcase, I would say.

Last edited:

sn0man

I miss fun sports titles. Would absolutely buy this.
Exactly. This is the right type of game to do some 4K60 on XSX honestly. Make a fun game with some sweet graphics. Huge jumps. Cool cloth physics. Really get this dev up and running and a team behind them and pull a 5 year exclusivity deal for MS platforms or something. Truely, a few titles like this could be hype.

Oh good, somebody made an OT about this, I saw this in the ID@Xbox reel and was surprised nobody was hyped for it.
Over the years I played many of these kinds of game. They always look like freedom and fun in the trailer and then they feel like generic downhill checkpoint races. Somehow nobody ever captures the cool feeling of snowboarding for me.

SirTerry-T

It's ok a few others did too. This thread has the Snowboard game/TNMNT character same name hilarity covered now.

Game looks cool though, it's about time the Snowboard genre had a revival.
One day I will get my Steep Slope Sliders sequel..one day.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What happened to snow boarding games?. They are another of those genres that are really popular over a gen or two, then go away completely. PS1 and PS2 gens were huge for these games.
We really need a new SSX. One based on the first couple of games, mainly Tricky, where it was like 10 long couses and it was first to finish, and the tricks were just a way to build boost.

GHG

Gold Member
What happened to snow boarding games?. They are another of those genres that are really popular over a gen or two, then go away completely. PS1 and PS2 gens were huge for these games.
We really need a new SSX. One based on the first couple of games, mainly Tricky, where it was like 10 long couses and it was first to finish, and the tricks were just a way to build boost.

They went where all other arcade games went unfortunately, they died.

This game looks promising though. Hopefully it can be a better version of Steep, without the coating of Ubisoft.

Maybe they are developing for different platforms at different times. It isn't even coming to Windows 10 which is usually true with any Microsoft timed exclusive.

I think it's a combo of ID@Xbox backed them and they're a smaller dev team so as you say other platforms are later on.

Tiamat2san

I miss old arcade snowboard games.
Like SSX, coolboaders and the fabulous amped 3.
Amped 3 is one the stupidest game ever made.

PresetError

Neophyte
I like this extreme sports games but this reminds me of Steep. I tried Steep and initially it was great but the open world aspect got tiresome and boring really fast and the game had a lot of crap systems and features that got in the way of having fun. Just let me play.

So this was announced for Steam as well -

I'm wondering when this is coming out though? A video on their site still has "we feel good about December 2021", some tweets had maybe FEB and I see a Gamepass logo on their site now too. I'm hoping it's soon e.g. March maybe?

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm wondering when this is coming out though? A video on their site still has "we feel good about December 2021", some tweets had maybe FEB and I see a Gamepass logo on their site now too. I'm hoping it's soon e.g. March maybe?

There was a Windows Store posting of March 17, 2022, although they didn't confirm it in these very recent Twitter posts so I wonder if that date didn't stick either or they're not confident of passing QA right away.

Last edited:

It's a snowboarding game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This looks super clean and super chilled.
Ultrawide support please!

I forgot how cool snowboarding actually is.
Wish I was still young and hip.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks cool, but I hope it's not all about making tricks. What I loved about Steep was carving down steep slopes, tricks were secondary.

Top Bottom