• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu says no custom wallpapers for PS4

Balb

I loved that about the ps3, I hate having a drab background. How come MS and Sony don't allow us to customize? Its the dumbest thing ever

Both companies don't want to give up any control over their platforms. They want you to buy their new controllers, fight sticks, headsets, background themes, etc.

Elios83

Probably a launch firmware limitation (unless Yoshida is trolling :D), it's such a basic customization feature, it doesn't make sense for it not to be there.
People should ask Shu more specifically, also Sony should share a roadmap for features which have been promised but won't make launch.

gogogow

Kind of makes sense. With so many icons and information from the OS it would hard to even see what the picture looked like.

Also, for me, I love the blue :)

AFAIK, you only get those huge tiles when you click on a XMB icon, when you go back to the main XMB menu you get something like this:

Plenty of space for a wallpaper.
ps4uizrzki.jpg

JoshHood

I'm honestly surprised how many of the originally announced features are making it to the PS4 on day one - I'd certainly rather have remote play than custom wallpapers or something. This stuff will obviously come in an update, just wasn't a priority for launch.

level44

AFAIK, you only get those huge tiles when you click on a XMB icon, when you go back to the main XMB menu you get something like this:

ps4uizrzki.jpg

So you would prefer custom wallpaper for the top half of the screen where the xmb is?

gruenel

I'm honestly surprised how many of the originally announced features are making it to the PS4 on day one - I'd certainly rather have remote play than custom wallpapers or something. This stuff will obviously come in an update, just wasn't a priority for launch.

I don't think custom wallpapers were ever announced.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Kind of sucks, those images made up by people made it look pretty sweet with some custom wallpapers, I really hope this is just something they haven't sorted out yet and was one feature they figured could wait over something more important.

ps4uizrzki.jpg

That's really the wrong way round of looking at it, the "XMB" isn't the main screen like on the PS3, you only see it when switching to another section that way, otherwise the tile interface is what you will see most of the time. And lets not forget, it isn't a real XMB, it looks like it and serves a similar purpose in that it separates sections, but otherwise wont work like the XMB on PS3 did at all really.

Shot. That really blows. With watchdogs and drive club delayed there probably was nothing else to do but stare at the wallpaper.

ckohler

ps4uizrzki.jpg

That is not the main menu. The main menu is the one with the squares. The menu in your picture is NOT the XMB. It's just a row of system icons that you get when you press up from the main menu. Clicking them takes you to some separate, submenu screens for things like settings and messages. So, it is not the XMB. Did I mention that's not the XMB? Because it's not.

This is like the most basic feature ever. If the ability to change wallpapers is in, but they can only be purchased wallpapers from PSN then that is seriously shady as hell.

Gamerloid

Shame, I love this feature on the Vita. I guess they want to make themes again.

I like the blue interface from the PS4.
I dislike the black interface from the xbox one.

I see you've also conveniently left off my edit saying that I didn't mind this as I liked the blue. Nice.

Liking the blue doesn't make it customizable, just like how liking the black on Xbox One doesn't make it customizable. Both systems aren't customizable, but you have a different take on it with the PS4. That's what's being said here.

balohna

I find it hard to care that much, but it probably is just for selling themes. They could probably patch this in later too, though. May have just not been a priority for launch.

i-Lo

So with over 2GB of RAM reserved for OS stuff, they can't implement a feature already part of its predecessor?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
What a odd choice to leave such a little feature like this out. Guess there's a good reason for it though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Surely if we can't put our own there must be different colour options or something?
I wouldn't assume that. Custom backgrounds on the PS3 took 8 months:

iC0anHs.png

While the color option took a full year:

llHjIui.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 is also missing that option at launch. I doubt it'll take a full year to add it though.

Squire

Banned
And no custom themes?
And no confirmation of MP3 background playback?
In 2013?

I'm not canceling my pre-order, but let me say at the very least: Goddamn.

gogogow

That is not the main menu. The main menu is the one with the squares. The menu in your picture is NOT the XMB. It's just a row of system icons that you get when you press up from the main menu. Clicking them take you to submenu screens for things like settings and messages. It is not the XMB. Did I mention that's not the XMB? Because it's not.
Well, it should be!
If that is not the main menu why do you need it? Why is it there? I'll take your word for it. But I don't understand why you can't go into messages or system settings in the main "tiles" menu. Seems like a unecessary step to press up to go into another "menu" to access those.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
PRE-ORDER CANCELLED

I kind of suspected this and thought it was odd folks were pretending it was a foregone conclusion we'd be able to change the background. Never assume, playboys.

Top Bottom