• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuei Yoshida answers about BC (PS3 not happening), Rime, JRPGs and more

Elios83

Thanks to Dualshockers:
http://www.*****************/2015/1...ity-and-sony-made-jrpgs-answers-on-much-more/

*On PSN Name changes, Yoshida-san would like to know when the feature will be ready himself. Sony is aware that people are asking for the feature and their engineers are looking into what they can do. There will be an announcement as soon as they’ll know what will be done. As of today, they don’t even know if it can be done, but hopefully it’ll be doable.

*Sony’s engineers have been working to enable friend online notifications in the future.

*Sony’s first party and second party studios are developing over 30 games, maybe even 40 or 50 (at the end, though, he ended with “I have no idea” so the numbers are probably even more vague than they sound).

*Yoshida-san gave a clear cut answer on the fact that PS4 won’t have backwards compatibility with PS3 (literally, the answer was “no” on whether it’s going to happen or not).

*About the possibility of upgrading the specs of the PS4 even up to being able to support 4K, Yoshida-san explained that it was a purely hypotetical question, due to the fact that the PS4 is based on x86 architecture, making such an upgrade easier to implement(exactly as we mentioned when we wrote about it, unfortunately others seemed to have missed that detail).

*RIME is still in development. It’ll require a bit more patience because the developer is very small.

*When asked about when the PS5 will be released, he mentioned that PS5 does not exist. Whether that means that it’s currently not in development, we don’t know.

*According to what people tell him on Twitter, they liked PlayStation’s Paris Games Week press conference.

*Yoshida-san is excited to play Star Wars: Battlefront, No Man’s Sky and The Witness.

*There are no news to announce about PS1 and PS2 classics on PS4.

*Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future (again, the answer was a clear cut “no” to whether we can expect any or not).

*Yoshida-san’s favorite Street Fighter V character is Dhalsim, that he always used at the time of Street Fighter II.

So there you have it, login notifications are coming, they're looking into PSN name changes.
No PS3 backwards compatibility but possible PS1 and PS2 classics although nothing to share atm.
Rime is still in development but the team is small and needs more time (seems like a Journey situation).
No JRPG currently in development at WWS.
PS4 with upgraded specs LOL.

Yoshida-san gave a clear cut answer on the fact that PS4 won’t have backwards compatibility with PS3 (literally, the answer was “no” on whether it’s going to happen or not).

There are no news to announce about PS1 and PS2 classics on PS4.

Confirmed

BadWolf

I am sure that I am not alone when I say this but I was hyped about the so called AAA JRPG from SCE Japan.

#BanVerendus :(

You really expected him to confirm the existence of such a project during an interview?

Also, he found out about FF7R about the same time we did at E3 lol.

Reset

Yoshida-san gave a clear cut answer on the fact that PS4 won’t have backwards compatibility with PS3 (literally, the answer was “no” on whether it’s going to happen or not).
There are no news to announce about PS1 and PS2 classics on PS4.
Disappointing since I don't care about PSNOW. And the Xbone and WiiU both have backwards compatibility.

According to what people tell him on Twitter, they liked PlayStation’s Paris Games Week press conference.
Imo it was pretty bad. The only interesting thing about it was QD's game and Dhalsim. And Dhalsim was leaked months ago.
Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future (again, the answer was a clear cut “no” to whether we can expect any or not).
Wasn't there a Sony "insider" here saying Sony is developing a JRPG which is going to 'rival' FF. :(

Yoshida-san’s favorite Street Fighter V character is Dhalsim, that he always used at the time of Street Fighter II.
No surprise, everybody liked using Dhalsim. Stretchy arms/legs across the screen attacks. :eek:

When asked about when the PS5 will be released

Sometimes I wonder why interviews waste time on such questions. Now there are some questions that journalists should ask even if they know they won't get an answer but this is one of those really pointless ones.

sense

You really expected him to confirm the existence of such a project during an interview?

And he found out about FF7R about the same time we did at E3 lol.

couldn't it technically be a bloodborne sort of situation where it isn't exactly first party but they still invest money, publish and own the ip.

squadr0n

I really hope the name change ability comes soon. I understand why they don't want it but at the same time they should be able to limit it so people don't abuse it.

I don't understand though why Sony doesn't want to develop JRPGs. They are seriously missing out on a huge market that is really lacking this gen on all 3 consoles. Just look at the popularity of games like Persona and Final Fantasy XV. When done right they can sell extremely well.

Yea PSOne/PS2 games is happening. It's just a matter of when. No PS3 makes sense due to the architecture differences

I really wonder what the early PSN foundation put in place that makes PSN ID renaming so difficult. They must have some bad old code that made some assumptions that aren't easy to replace. Like why not just add an alias for PSN ID and hide the initial one

oti

Banned
"Yes, you can change your PSN name. But you have to buy this super duper Special Edition Vita for $500 that is basically the same as the regular PS Vita but $500. Deal?"

In regards to JRPG's, he specifically says first party developers. IF this supposed big JRPG exists, then I'm willing to bet it's another Bloodborne situation, rather than a 100% internal WWS project.

On the other hand, it may not even exist. I wouldn't get my hopes up, guys. I still won't believe it until I see it.

Cripshay

Banned
*Sony’s first party developers won’t make any JRPG in the foreseeable future (again, the answer was a clear cut “no” to whether we can expect any or not).
Poor Verendus-beliebers.
#letthespinbegin

*About the possibility of upgrading the specs of the PS4 even up to being able to support 4K, Yoshida-san explained that it was a purely hypotetical question, due to the fact that the PS4 is based on x86 architecture, making such an upgrade easier to implement(exactly as we mentioned when we wrote about it, unfortunately others seemed to have missed that detail).
I'm shocked! I tell'ya!!

Anyone thinking that the PS4 could do PS3 BC clearly doesn't understand just how complex (and crazy powerful) the cell architecture is. No way in hell could they make the PS4's APU emulate that

eFKac

Nice, a couple of good questions, and love Shu shooting down those unrealistic hopes and dreams, clear cut.

Fbh

Shame about the JRPG.
Still, he only denied that a first party studios are working on one. They could still be partnering up with an external dev

*Sony’s engineers have been working to enable friend online notifications in the future
Is that really so hard?

They even have a system to let you know when your friends join a party. Seems like making it so it tells when they log in shouldn't be that hard

Chances are there ARE jRPGs in development but Shu's under NDA or doesn't want to spoil the surprise.

pretty much, didn't supermassive games say they werent working on a VR dlc and now boom here it is like a week or 2 later, companies and people lie all the time.

Verendus told me that all Skittles taste the same and the perceived difference in taste was just my brain interpreting information based on color alone. And I believed him!

What else isn't true!? #BanVerenDUPE

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
No new legend of dragoon?

FxDUzwx.gif

Let that stinker stay in the past!

Shenmue

Banned
I dunno I don't even care about name change anymore. I just use my real name with all my friends and who cares what my name is to strangers?

Top Bottom