• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida about Team ICO: They have something really, really good on the way

Issun23

In the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine (Issue 21, August 08), during an interview, Shuhei Yoshida, the new President of SCE Worlwide Studios briefly mentions Fumito Ueda and his team:

"They are working on a title. I started the ICO project. Ueda-san joined my team in Japan as a cinematic animator, but he created a short movie and presented it to me and said, "I want to make this game."

I said, "Yes, let's do it, but you have never made a game. We have to have experienced people do it," so it took a while, recruiting one person at a time. And because Fumito Ueda doesn't compromise, we had to move the development from PSone to PlayStation 2. Then I couldn't complete the game because I moved to the United States.

It took four years and the second game took four years too. So I started calling them the 'Olympic Team.' They haven't released a PS3 title yet - of course not - they'll take four years! But they have something really, really good on the way."

2mhvrqx.jpg

This might not be actual news, or even an update about the new game or the team but it's good to know that executives still remember about them.

Roll on TGS. :D

Amir0x

Banned
I'll want it.

I hope also in the process Shadow of the Colossus can get a re-release with a 60fps framerate and a few extra Colossus.

Dever

Banned
It took four years and the second game took four years too. So I started calling them the 'Olympic Team.' They haven't released a PS3 title yet - of course not - they'll take four years! But they have something really, really good on the way."

2009 CONFIRMED BEYOTCHES, maybe. TGS will be the day. I can just feel it.

gantz85

Banned
FUCK YOU SHUHEI!

*faps like crazy*

Issun23 said:

:lol Team Olympic confirmed.. :lol

Vexidus

Of course it's going to be really, really good.. I'd never expect less from these guys, I just can't wait to finally see some stuff!

To say that they have something good on the way is a no-brainer. Of course they do, its team ico...when have they not sexed us good?

Issun23

They must be close to revealing whatever they're working on. Ueda was going to draw some doodle in the vein of his new game at the Nordic Game conference but his translator gave him the odd look and he went back to answering questions.

Cannot wait for whatever they are working on. Put some crap on a stick and i'll be there, first day purchase, even if I don't have a PS3 to play it on.

Amir0x said:
I'll want it.

I hope also in the process Shadow of the Colossus can get a re-release with a 60fps framerate and a few extra Colossus.

During E3 when the PSblog was putting up interview with developers, Tsubasa Inaba mentioned that he wanted to remake ICO. He said that during the development Ueda was frustrated because he wanted to do stuff that the PS2 wasn't capable of doing.

gantz85

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
During E3 when the PSblog was putting up interview with developers, Tsubasa Inaba mentioned that he wanted to remake ICO. He said that during the development Ueda was frustrated because he wanted to do stuff that the PS2 wasn't capable of doing.

Team ICOlympic could remake ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and I would buy it, day one.

The kind of stunning vision and detail that would be present in both for next-gen hardware would be awe-inspiring. But unless they source it out, they won't have the time. I'd rather new games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Issun23 said:
In the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine, during an interview, Shuhei Yoshida, the new President of SCE Worlwide Studios briefly mentions Fumito Ueda and his team:

"They are working on a title. I started the ICO project. Ueda-san joined my team in Japan as a cinematic animator, but he created a short movie and presented it to me and said, "I want to make this game."

Roll on TGS. :D

:O

Holy fu*king shit fu*king fu*k Holy Cat prince of awesome stuff kingdom

so Shu Sama was the founder of team ICO , this is new info about the team for me , i guess Ueda will have more power and more budget and free reign now since Shu is the boss of SCEWWS

i love Shuhei Yoshida ..he is the man .

gantz85 said:
Team ICOlympic could remake ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and I would buy it, day one.

I don't think they will though. Look at how long it takes them to create a game. They really couldn't take time out to remake something. And going by Ueda's interviews, I don't think he'd allow an outside team to go anywhere near his games.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Interesting. I dunno if ICO really needs a remake even remotely as severely as Shadow of the Colossus does, but I guess that depends on what the scale of his ideas for the game were (I don't recall hearing him describe what he wanted to do that PS2 wasn't capable of.)

Nolan.

Dever said:
2009 CONFIRMED BEYOTCHES, maybe. TGS will be the day. I can just feel it.

Isn't 09 a bit optimistic? more like more solid info in 09, I thought they were recruiting last or the year before.

Issun23

Amir0x said:
Interesting. I dunno if ICO really needs a remake even remotely as severely as Shadow of the Colossus does, but I guess that depends on what the scale of his ideas for the game were (I don't recall hearing him describe what he wanted to do that PS2 wasn't capable of.)

I remember him saying he wanted to up Yorda's animations but he couldn't do it. But I guess that was more of a time issue and not a technological one.

FFObsessed said:
I like how you bolded EVERYTHING!

We rarely get updates or something about Team ICO. At least when we do let's highlight everything we can. :lol

roMonster

gantz85 said:

The kind of stunning vision and detail that would be present in both for next-gen hardware would be awe-inspiring. But unless they source it out, they won't have the time. I'd rather new games.

:lol Team ICOlympic--that is awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit, it's gonna be amazing. Hopefully it's more action based than ICO. SotC did it perfectly.

Nolan. said:
Isn't 09 a bit optimistic? more like more solid info in 09, I thought they were recruiting last or the year before.

If you go by their history then it seems likely that it'll be out next year. ICO was announced in 2000 and then released in 01, SoTC was announced in 04 and then released in 05.

Haunted

Well, d'uh. Yoshida playing Captain Obvious here. :D

But I suppose we could turn this into the official 'new Team ICO game' hype thread or something.

Nolan.

SolidSnakex said:
If you go by their history then it seems likely that it'll be out next year. ICO was announced in 2000 and then released in 01, SoTC was announced in 04 and then released in 05.

Has ''trico'' been officially announced though.? I remember something about a griffin etc though can't remember if it was from a source. Anyway i'll be thrilled if it's next year.

Issun23

Nolan. said:
Has ''trico'' been officially announced though.? I remember something about a griffin etc though can't remember if it was from a source. Anyway i'll be thrilled if it's next year.

The name of the game and its details haven't been revealed yet. (Griffin thing and desert glider adventure were just fake rumours.) But since there's a whole page dedicated to their vacancies and Ueda commenting on Famitsu he's anxious to reveal what he's working on I guess we can take that as an unofficial announcement.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Seiken said:
Holy shit, it's gonna be amazing. Hopefully it's more action based than ICO. SotC did it perfectly.

uh , it's not about more or less action you know , maybe you just didn't understand Team ICO yet .

Haunted One said:
Well, d'uh. Yoshida playing Captain Obvious here. :D

But I suppose we could turn this into the official 'new Team ICO game' hype thread or something.

more like the ultimate fapping of the Forever and ever .

Nolan. said:

Nope, although most are expecting to see something at TGS. It makes the most sense especially considering Sony's recent comments about spreading their announcements out across E3, GC and TGS.

Nolan.

Issun23 said:
The name of the game and its details haven't been revealed yet. (Griffin thing and desert glider adventure were just fake rumours.) But since there's a whole page dedicated to their vacancies and Ueda commenting on Famitsu he's anxious to reveal what he's working on I guess we can take that as an unofficial announcement.

SolidSnakex said:
Nope, although most are expecting to see something at TGS. It makes the most sense especially considering Sony's recent comments about spreading their announcements out across E3, GC and TGS.

Ah ok then, Tgs it is then (hopefully).

I do wonder if other developers volunteer to show their games early or if Sony simply allows the Olympic Team to show their games anytime they want? You see all these other developers from Sony showing off their games constantly and the Olympic Team doesn't just stays back and continues working on their next game.

gantz85

Banned
Totobeni said:
could this be is the reason they cancelled Playstation Premiere this year , to do some Ueda massive damage in TGS ? :D

Playstation Premiere cancelled?
Ueda cannot wait to reveal his new game?

Where are you guys getting all this from :lol

SolidSnakex said:
I do wonder if other developers volunteer to show their games early or if Sony simply allows the Olympic Team to show their games anytime they want? You see all these other developers from Sony showing off their games constantly and the Olympic Team doesn't just stays back and continues working on their next game.

There was a developer interview and this particular Sony developer (name?) revealed that he and Fumito Ueda were pretty much the only two developers who had complete free reign with regards to whatever and whenever they wanted to make stuff. I think they know his value.

Issun23

SolidSnakex said:

I believe they first show the game at internal meetings. This was the case for both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Sony might do this to bolster up confidence in the hardware. Then when it comes to public announcements, Ueda and Kaido have always said that Sony gives them lots of freedom on what to do and at what pace to do it.

Issun23

gantz85 said:

It was on Famitsu in December 2007 when several Japanese developers were asked to comment on the past year and the one to come.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gantz85 said:
Playstation Premiere cancelled?

uh ?? Playstation Premiere ( formeraly PlayStation Meeting ) was there in Japan every July in the past few years ( since 2002 or so ) , there was even small event called PlayStation Awards with it when they gave Awards to best games on their system , it was always in July every years , this is first year they didn't do it , they pretty much canceled it , unless you have some info for us .

Totobeni said:
uh ?? Playstation Premiere ( formeraly PlayStation Meeting ) was there in Japan every July in the past few years ( since 2002 or so ) , there was even small event called PlayStation Awards with it when they gave Awards to best games on their system , it was always in July every years , this is first year they didn't do it , they pretty much canceled it , unless you have some info for us .

Sony probably thought that july was too predictable and august would be a better month to put it in. [and then 2 months down the road they'll show more]

there i said it :D

thuway

DMPrince said:
Sony probably thought that july was too predictable and august would be a better month to put it in. [and then 2 months down the road they'll show more]

there i said it :D

Sony would be smart to just save it for TGS. I would rather see GC dedicated to things like Home, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Motorstorm, and Heavy Rain.

TGS could be focused on White Knight Story, Trico, and the Last Guy....?

Something tells me TGS has more in store for us than we know.

Top Bottom