• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Developers Tell Us They Never Worked on Hardware as Easy to Develop on As PS5

Mista

Banned
playstation_logo.png

The latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation magazine, Vol.683, included an interview with Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida. He spoke about Sony’s PlayStation 5, which is launching on holidays 2020, and how easy it is to make games for it.

In the interview, Shuhei Yoshida explained how PlayStation 3 was by far the hardest console to develop on in Sony history, and how PlayStation 4 was specifically made to avoid repeating this mistake.

Shuhei Yoshida added that developers can’t focus on making their games if they need to focus on overcoming the inherent difficulty of developing on complicated hardware. As such, Sony is striving to make it as easy as possible to develop on PlayStation hardware. Yoshida said that’s what the company had in mind when making the PS4 and that’s what they have in mind for the PS5.

Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned that many developers are telling Sony they never worked on a console as easy to develop on as PS5.

JordanN

Banned
Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned that many developers are telling Sony they never worked on a console as easy to develop on as PS5.
Not even PS4 or XBO? Unless the PS5 has a magic "make game" button, what changed these last 5 or so years?

Sony hasn't used their own custom architecture since PS3's "cell". Even the original Xbox and Xbox 360 still had hardware that was closer to PC at the time so I'm not understanding where all this difficulty comes from.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

This doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

This is almost exclusively relevant for engine programmers, which are a tiny subset of people working on games, if they exist at all.
Most game devs don't touch hardware/OS related code at all. If you look at modern engines such as UE4, the way you develop is mostly the same across all platforms, some minor differences, platform-specific features and bugs aside due to platform abstraction.

Mista

Banned
Not even PS4 or XBO? Unless the PS5 has a magic "make game" button, what changed these last 5 or so years?

Sony hasn't used their own custom architecture since PS3's "cell". Even the original Xbox and Xbox 360 still had hardware that was closer to PC at the time so I'm not understanding where all this difficulty comes from.
Might be more easier for them. That’s what they claim at least according to Yoshida as he also admitted how tough was to work on PS3. Time will tell I guess

JordanN

Banned
well it's more powerful... that makes it obviously easier to use because there are less restrictions.
More power = higher graphics expectations thus, more challenging game development.

Square could pump out 3 mainline Final Fantasys on the Playstation despite it's weakness yet they only released 1 mainline series on PS4.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well let's see if this means less "unfinished" games. Cuz that was a fuckin epidemic this gen. I know developers are often under the thumb of the publishers to push game's out early, but I don't wanna hear that shit this time around if Shuhei is toting this. Logically it should also translate to bigger games being completed is less time. I'll believe it when I see it.

Banned
More power = higher graphics expectations thus, more challenging game development.

Square could pump out 3 mainline Final Fantasys on the Playstation despite it's weakness yet they only released 1 mainline series on PS4.

it's still way easier to make a game on a PS4 than it is to make one on a PS1.

I really don't get your point here?
this is about how easy to use the hardware is, and that has absolutely zero to do with how much detail you put in your game.

and modern consoles are by far the easiest to use in the history of game consoles, developers had to use all sorts of weird little tricks to get stuff done on systems like the NES, and even teh PS1

Mista

Banned

And that’s Square’s fault not the hardware. Everybody knows that

JordanN

Banned
it's still way easier to make a game on a PS4 than it is to make one on a PS1.

I really don't get your point here?
this is about how easy to use the hardware is, and that has absolutely zero to do with how much detail you put in your game.

and modern consoles are by far the easiest to use in the history of game consoles, developers had to use all sorts of weird little tricks to get stuff done on systems like the NES, and even teh PS1
They're still using weird tricks. That's what the bump in power + raised graphical expectations leads to.

The problems of the past are now replaced with new ones.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Good news considering it takes Sony's 1st party devs half a decade to release a SP-only game, hopefully they'll be able to release more than just a single title for the PS5 in the upcoming generation.

ethomaz

Banned

PS4 was the first x86-64 console from Sony and they had no expertise or a environment tools developed games for it...

Now all the experience they had with PS5 is used to create a better DevKit tools for PS5.

Is that hard to believe?

vkbest

I though a indie developer said months ago. More powerful hardware = less optimizations needed

That is because next gen will have 30fps games yet

Deft Beck

Again, cross platform development is at a point where you can get most games running on every single piece of modern console hardware fairly easily. It comes down to the developer to optimize their own game.

CrisPy2019

People need to focus on the wording.

"As easy as"
Can mean exactly as easy.

Therefore easier or harder both can still apply and are not excluded if someone says "as easy as".

I never loved anyone as much as my girlfriend. I loved most people less any my mom alot more.

Just saying :)

its just more pr bull :messenger_poop: :poop:

Last edited:
Top Bottom