• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Neo won't shorten PS4's lifecycle "PS4 is PS4"

SOR5

Link here, begins around 6 minutes.

Just an establishment over how Neo will operate in conjuction with the existing PS4, similar to whats been established about Scorpio, PS4 will serve as the more affordable standard whilst Neo will serve as the higher-end edition. Support will be mandatory for the PS4 and Neo, developers have to utilize Neo's power but are fully obligated to support the PS4.

The interviewer asks if the generation is ending quickly in favour of hardware progressing in smaller and more frequent steps

Yoshida responds:

Well no, PS4 is PS4, you know the new high end PS4 is still PS4, so you know the lifecycle is not going to be shorter

This should clear up any worries as 'PS4 is just PS4' means Neo will not force you to abandon your existing PS4 library and accessories, they will be all compatible with the console succeeding them.

From Andrew Houses interview there will be no Neo exclusives, as Neo is intended to be a complementary device to the PS4, a high end option that enables greater performance and greater capabilities without cutting support for PS4 users and their library.

EDIT: It's still unknown whether this rules out a "brand new generation" with a PS5 because its unknown what Sony's policies are beyond Neo and whether they will follow MS' plan, so it should be speculated as to what constitutes as a new generation IMO as thats an entirely different ball game, for now though Neo is intended to be a premium iteration of the PS4 without cutting off the PS4.

ps3ud0

Tick tock it is - Im relieved but dont know why. Far more interested in Neo/Scorpios replacements now...

ps3ud0 8)

Outrun

Great.

I just hope that people stop with the abandonment bit when Yosh and Phil continually state otherwise.

Neuro

They pull this Neo/Scorpio off and people are going to wait even longer to pick up whatever is looming in the context of next gen...

FelipeMGM

Link here, begins around 6 minutes.

Just as an establishment over how Neo will operate in conjuction with the existing PS4, similar whats been established about Scorpio, PS4 will serve as the more affordable standard whilst Neo will serve as the higher-end edition. Support will be mandatory for the PS4 and Neo.

The interviewer asks if generation is ending in favour of hardware progressing in smaller and more frequent steps

Yoshida responds:

This should clear up any worries

From what we know, these machines are not similar, people got to understand that.

You can say it as many times as you like. Scorpio is a new generation.

In what way? I was under the impression it, just like the Neo, would basically be stronger current gen console, still beholden to the lower powered versions? When I think "new generation", I think "out with the old, in with the new", to put into flowery terms.

pastrami

In what way? I was under the impression it, just like the Neo, would basically be stronger current gen console, still beholden to the lower powered versions? When I think "new generation", I think "out with the old, in with the new", to put into flowery terms.

Do you think we'll see Fallout 4 VR on Xbox One?

SOR5

From what we know, these machines are not similar, people got to understand that.

The policies are near-identical though

Both platforms have to be supported
Both platforms will not dictate how power should be used
The only one that hasnt been established is the presence of whether there will be Neo exclusives, I dont think there will be, infact im pretty sure there wont be.

Sounds great. Cant wait for the NEO.

Question.

Let say Destiny 2 comes in 1080p 60fps on Neo and for the PS4 they have it 1080p 30fps.

Can those PS4 users still play against me with Neo? I have no idea how this works :)

Septic360

Banned
Goood

tumblr_mmruidV3dB1sqghjko1_400.gif

Duxxy3

If the PS4 and NEO were on their own I would believe him. But developers have to account for the Xbox One and Scorpio as well. 1.3tflops to 6tflops. That's one hell of a range to optimize for.

I think that's going to be too much for developers and they will transition to the NEO and Scorpio to save costs, after the user base builds up.

KingBroly

Banned
What about beyond generation? What about console cycle is dead?

I wonder what becomes the baseline, myself. PS4K or PS5? Or whatever they call it. Going from PS4 > PS5 would be a ridiculous jump and cause a lot more risk than this PS4K supposedly is doing.

FelipeMGM

The policies are near-identical

Like ''policies'' really mean anything in this industry, Microsoft changed theirs 2 times in this gen alone, Sony changed theirs with PS3 even before mid gen

My thoughts: Scorpio is new hardware, new gen wether people will like it or not. The 4 year cycle worked for them with OG Xbox - Xbox 360, not shocking if they are doing it again.

The policies are near-identical though

The only one that hasnt been established is the presence of whether there will be Neo exclusives, I dont think there will be, infact im pretty sure there wont be.

It wont, Andy House said that on the interview he mentioned NEO before E3

Do you think we'll see Fallout 4 VR on Xbox One?

No, but I don't think the Scorpio being a machine made partly with VR in mind, while the current gen xbox one is not, makes the former a "new generation". It does make it something different, though.

I guess it's all semantics anyway. We'll let EA decide whether or not this is a new generation!

SOR5

Like ''policies'' really mean anything in this industry, Microsoft changed theirs 2 times in this gen alone, Sony changed theirs with PS3 even before mid gen

Scorpio is new hardware, new gen wether people like it or not. The 4 year cycle worked for them with OG Xbox - Xbox 360, not shocking they are doing it again.

Scorpio and Neo are iterations, the ones after them will be iterations of Scorpio and Neo, there are no more 'technical' new generations. Just milestones of technology and marketing.

A new generation is a complete refresh of hardware and software and accessories, this wont be happening anymore, all that will change is the box and the specifications and capabiilities.

pastrami

Question.

Let say Destiny 2 comes in 1080p 60fps on Neo and for the PS4 they have it 1080p 30fps.

Can those PS4 users still play against me with Neo? I have no idea how this works :)

Yes, that's the idea. Same player base/infrastructure. Neo can not have extra features, but can have extended features (so you may see 4 player split screen on Neo vs 2 player on PS4, but not split screen on Neo vs no split screen on PS4).

They went out of their way to put Tod in Scorpio announcement video to talk about Fallout VR. Considering that, I think its highly likely.

Well consider me skeptical that we'll see Fallout 4, which struggles to maintain 30fps on Xbox One, run in VR on Xbox One.

kurahador

Question.

Of course. It's like asking whether or not people who play Dota 2 in low quality graphical setting can play with people who play it in ultra quality.
It's still the same game.

Chrisdk

I don't think PS console cycles are going to die. When it's time for the PS5, the PS4 is going to be dropped. It has to be dropped because the PS4 will just weigh it down.

Yup this. It's not really that confusing. The new cycle is just that we have a stronger console in between for those who wants a more high end experience. People can still follow the old cycle if they don't want to spend money on the Scorpio/Neo.

vg260

I wonder what becomes the baseline, myself. PS4K or PS5? Or whatever they call it. Going from PS4 > PS5 would be a ridiculous jump and cause a lot more risk than this PS4K supposedly is doing.

I think whatever PS5 is will be the baseline, as long as PS4/Neo games are backward compatible. I think people will be ready for a new baseline at that time, and will be fine with it if they can carry everything forward.

Of course. It's like asking whether or not people who play Dota 2 in low quality graphical setting can play with people who play it in ultra quality.
It's still the same game.

yeah but I thought there would be some sort of advantage in online PVP mode with one running 60fps while another only 30fps..but maybe im just not understanding what FPS actually does.

cool, cant wait to get a Neo

KingBroly

Banned
I think whatever PS5 is will be the baseline, as long as PS4/Neo games are backward compatible. I think people will be ready for a new baseline at that time, and will be fine with it if they can carry everything forward.

If I were a businessman at that level, I think I'd want PS4K/Scorpio to be the baseline because it's risk averse. I feel like we might be headed to new boxes every year or every other year, which I think is pretty foolish.

kyser73

Sounds less like a Scorpio and more like a slim +

Which is what the original leaks implied. Smaller, ~2.5x more powerful, 4K something.

It's only since Osiris upped the presumed lower cost from $399 to $499 and the Scorpio 'specs' were 'revealed' that there's been this frenzy of 'Must be MOAR!!!!SONY!!!!!'.

Top Bottom