• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: PS Plus Extra was created as a ‘Best Of’ list for PlayStation users.

Speaking during an interview with MCV, Sony indie boss Shuhei Yoshida has described the introduction of PS Plus Extra as taking PS Now and creating a ‘Best Of’ list for PlayStation users.

PS Extra is the second tier of Sony’s revamped subscription service, and offers not only free PS4 & PS5 games on a monthly basis, but also brings over a bunch of additional titles as a replacement for the now-shuttered PS Now.

When we transitioned from the old PS Plus to new PS Plus, we looked at the whole catalogue of games that were included in PS Now, and we didn’t just move these games to PS Plus Extra, we completely revisited the list and tried to create the ‘Best of’ collection of high quality games from indies to AAAs. So I believe over 100 high quality games are available in the PS Plus Extra Tier now.

So what Shu is saying is that PS Plus Extra was supposed to be Sony's answer to BC. Since they didn't have a solution they combined PS Now with other features of the Extra tier in order to give players access to a sort of 'best of' PlayStation list hoping that would substitute from BC.

But unfortunately it isn't. Delays aside Microsoft really got the BC down, and I never liked being tied down to PS Now in order to play older games which was also a problem with the PS4 (which Sony has an emulation solution for with ps2 games, but didn't expand it for players), especially PS3 games which Sony has refused to at least rerelease outside of streaming.

I need more PS BC then some grey plates I can put on a PS5. Which recently came out a few days ago btw.

With that said, for non-BC games Extra has a few goodies on there but the price and selection imo doesn't give you enough value so you end up either going up a tier on the new PSN+ or you say screw it and go for the minimum option.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So what's on PS+ Extra? Just PS4 going back to PS1 games?

Yea i feel like they could have definitely done BC for PS4. PS3 is difficult because of the Cell processor so I get that. But PS2 and PS1 games should be doable. I think it's am atter of them just wanting their fans to pay for the privilegde of playing prior gen games. They could do it, they did it for PS3. It's just not a priority for them.

Moses85

College Accuse GIF

feynoob

Banned
I get that ps3 BC is hard, but shouldnt they make an emulated version for PS5? Or is that hard for them?

-Zelda-

Banned
Maybe someone smarter than me can help me understand why it feels that this version of PS+ has less games than the old version? But seriously, am I wrong? I HATE the fact that ps3 games are stream only, and also where are all the ps1 and ps2 jrpgs?

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Elios83

Extra is indeed incredible value, tons of high quality games.
But they should have asked him what's happening with Premium and old classics.
Is it going to end like PS2 Classics on PS4?
No one is going to bother because there's a lot of extra work to do with publishing rights, testing with the emulator and quality control?
That tier is still worth if you're interested in streaming/cloud gaming but it's a missed opportunity for those interested in the old PS1/PS2 l/PSP retrocatalogue.

Maybe someone smarter than me can help me understand why it feels that this version of PS+ has less games than the old version? But seriously, am I wrong? I HATE the fact that ps3 games are stream only, and also where are all the ps1 and ps2 jrpgs?
well its basically just a worse AND better version of PS Now. Its mostly the same games. A worse presentation. Missing some key exclusives like the killzones and resistances etc that were there before. But u do get a bunch of Ubisoft games.

my biggest complaints are the amount of shovelware. Just a sea of games i wouldn't even consider clicking on. The presentation u get no reviews or descriptions of games. zero information. U can't download PS3 games. And PS Now at least had games divided into sections. Like click here for just playstation exclusives. Or go to this section for fighting games.

-Zelda-

Banned
I still do not know how to properly navigate the store also. Where are the PSN avatar options? I also hate the lack of themes on the home screen that seem to be replaced by shitty ass advertisements for games and services I will never use.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Premium is great to play the few games I wanted to play but not pay $70 for. Probably will step back to basic at renewal and upgrade again when they add the games they released this year.

Aenima

Anyone interested in subbing or extending they Extra subscription, take advantage of the Black friday promo for 25% off. That means 1 year of PS+ Essential and Extra for 75€.

Sony dosent make many discounts for the service during the year, actually this is the 1st time they did a promo since the new service launched. Usually they always do a promo on black fridays.

DinoD

How to I take the advantage of 25% for Extra. Today When I looked at it. It tells me it will apply 25% only on the remaining 12 days of my existing subscription?
What am I missing here? Thanks

LectureMaster

Gold Member
It is, the value for a new PS user is insane, you pretty much got all the best games( not necessarily the latest tho) in the ps plus extra tier on Sony's console ecosystem.

I got my brother a PS5 last week and this would be his returning to console gaming in 15+ years. He's gonna be mind blown all the time.

Aenima

How to I take the advantage of 25% for Extra. Today When I looked at it. It tells me it will apply 25% only on the remaining 12 days of my existing subscription?
What am I missing here? Thanks
You only have the PS+ essential? I had the Extra already, so there was an option to "purchase again" for 1 year with the 25% discount.

Try click on the Extra sub thing to see if there will appear an option to purchase the 1 year. If not you can upgrade for the extra for the remaining 12 days of the sub, and then buy 1 year on top of it. The 1 year will also have the 25% discount, cuz after i renewed for 1 year, i could add more years all with the 25% discount.

Last edited:

DinoD

You only have the PS+ essential? I had the Extra already, so there was an option to "purchase again" for 1 year with the 25% discount.

Try click on the Extra sub thing to see if there will appear an option to purchase the 1 year. If not you can upgrade for the extra for the remaining 12 days of the sub, and then buy 1 year on top of it. The 1 year will also have the 25% discount, cuz after i renewed for 1 year, i could add more years all with the 25% discount.
Thank you. Makes sense.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Then why is it so shitty? I sort of feel bad for people who spent money on it (but they should have known better). They barely add classic titles and still streaming PS3 is just inexcusable.

Agent X

So what Shu is saying is that PS Plus Extra was supposed to be Sony's answer to BC.

No, that's not at all what he is saying, at least according to the article you posted. He said that they revamped the list to include more "high quality" titles.

This has nothing to do with backward compatibility or older generation games, which aren't even available on the PS Plus Extra tier that the article is discussing.

Reading comprehension these days, I tell you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And Premium was created as a 'Fuck You, Pay Me' I suppose ?

Last edited:
No, that's not at all what he is saying, at least according to the article you posted. He said that they revamped the list to include more "high quality" titles.

This has nothing to do with backward compatibility or older generation games, which aren't even available on the PS Plus Extra tier that the article is discussing.

Reading comprehension these days, I tell you.

So there are no older generation games on PS Now?

Got em'

RCU005

That’s why Sony is still making cross gen games! because people complain so much about BC, that Jim is like: Why should we even bother to have a game for the new console?!

Next year will be PS5/PS2 cross gen games!

There were at one time, back when PS Now was a separate service from PS Plus. Those games are now included in PS Plus Premium (not PS Plus Extra).

So you're saying there aren't any PS4 games on PS Plus Extra?

BC is everything before the PS5, you know that right? Like Series X with the One.

Fredrik

And Premium was created as an inside joke
Actually, if you prepaid on PSNow before launch you could transfer that sub to Premium and effectively get the most expensive sub for $5/month for a couple years 😎

But as it is I’ll never resubscribe when it ends. Their strategy to delay first party releases just means I’ve already bought the games they try to hype up as new exciting PS+ releases.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Actually, if you prepaid on PSNow before launch you could transfer that sub to Premium and effectively get the most expensive sub for $5/month for a couple years 😎

But as it is I’ll never resubscribe when it ends. Their strategy to delay first party releases just means I’ve already bought the games they try to hype up as new exciting PS+ releases.
That's exactly what I did.
My PS+ was due to expire when that was going on so I got a PSNow sub and subscribed before the change over 👍
And somehow I still feel robbed 🤔

Top Bottom