• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Western more focused on Japanese games, problems with DOAX3

Maybe Shu is talking about the "controversy" about the cleavage in Dragon's Crown.

still a stretch though, so I really have no idea

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Polygon, Eurogamer, and the Escapist all gave it scores in the 60s, may be what he's referring to. Those are pretty major outlets.

He's definitely referring to the Polygon review. That made the rounds on GAF at the time if I remember correctly.

Polygon, Eurogamer, and the Escapist all gave it scores in the 60s, may be what he's referring to. Those are pretty major outlets.

And I cannot image how it hurt the sales of DC (just glad this was vanillaware's best selling game), some of the criticism was just directed at the art direction of the game. I can understand not liking the art but to give the game a 6.5 because it is silly reviewing.

Shu's comment on DOAX3 makes sense. As I recall, the previous games never sold particularly well but were more of a cult classic among certain individuals.

Why waste money and time on localization if it sells poorly again? Release in Japan, wait for reaction.

Jinaar

Japan seems disconnected to the actual reality of their games. Like it was mentioned already, we've been playing and loving Japanese games since the 80's. People's favorite games of all time are from Japan. Even today, my favorite games are Japanese based. (Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dragon's Dogma, NEIR, anything by Platinum/Vanillaware, Dragon Quest)

Doesn't he remember anything from the PS2 era?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Japan really doesn't get how much the rest of the world likes their games, do they? I find it funny that Square was surprised at how well Bravely Default sold in the West. I think what Japanese developers fail to realize is that gamers in their 20s and 30s grew up playing Japanese games and now that they have disposable income they want more of what they played when they were kids. The Final Fantasy VII Remake hype should prove that.

I think the biggest offender in this sense is Atlus. It's like they don't care about the West when it comes to Persona 5. They skipped out on E3, Gamescom and PSX. All great opportunities to get their Western fans excited.

Hopefully as this generation goes on Japan realizes that Western fans really enjoy their games and want more.
To be fair, you've seen all you need to for Persona 5. You're going to buy the shit out of it and so am I. It's essentially an offline single player game, the more they show the worse it is for the story; its main draw. They'll do a blowout once the game is a month or so out and that's all they'll need.

I think your fanboyism may be getting you a bit hot and bothered. I agree with your previous points though.

5taquitos

Japan seems disconnected to the actual reality of their games. Like it was mentioned already, we've been playing and loving Japanese games since the 80's. People's favorite games of all time are from Japan. Even today, my favorite games are Japanese based. (Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dragon's Dogma, NEIR, anything by Platinum/Vanillaware, Dragon Quest)

Doesn't he remember anything from the PS2 era?

In a world where GTA, COD, and AC make stacks of cash hand over fist, it's not hard to see what he means. Obviously he knows that there's a western audience.

Abriael

Banned
And I cannot image how it hurt the sales of DC (just glad this was vanillaware's best selling game), some of the criticism was just directed at the art direction of the game. I can understand not liking the art but to give the game a 6.5 because it is silly reviewing.

It was obvious like the sun that the game was given intentionally to the writer that had the biggest bone to pick with it. The responsibility lays as much on the reviews editor as on the reviewer.

correction: "really really like"

it's fine unless they're in a video game.

Or in the superbowl. The country collectively shit itself when Ms Jackson whipped out a titty. Pretty sad.

But, you know, blood, guts, and violence are perfectly acceptable. I have nothing against violent games, I just dont get the hangup with nudity in the US.

Flarin

To be fair, you've seen all you need to for Persona 5. You're going to buy the shit out of it and so am I. It's essentially an offline single player game, the more they show the worse it is for the story; its main draw. They'll do a blowout once the game is a month or so out and that's all they'll need.

I think your fanboyism may be getting you a bit hot and bothered. I agree with your previous points though.

Perhaps.

Or in the superbowl. The country collectively shit itself when Ms Jackson whipped out a titty. Pretty sad.

But, you know, blood, guts, and violence are perfectly acceptable. I have nothing against violent games, I just dont get the hangup with nudity in the US.

I believe the argument on the other side has isn't so much nudity as it is sexism and objectification.

Tosyn_88

Dragons crown was one of my favourite vita game, along with muramasa and gravity rush, all Japanese games made with attention to mechanical rich game play. I feel Sony gave up on the vita too easily since they couldn't find a monster hunter replacement

SarusGray

Dragons crown was one of my favourite vita game, along with muramasa and gravity rush, all Japanese games made with attention to mechanical rich game play. I feel Sony gave up on the vita too easily since they couldn't find a monster hunter replacement

Fans gave up on vita because the memory card were ridiculously overpriced and we didn't buy a lot of the games.

Tosyn_88

It reminded me of a certain incident that got me banned with regards to mgsv quiet and the child soldiers bit. Anyways, I think we are reaching a point where I yearn for developers to treat the act of killing or death very seriously. No game has made a real issue of the act of killing as much. Both tlou and spec ops tried but they still haven't made it unpleasant to kill

As far as dragon crowns bad reviews, its no different than bayonetta 2. There are certain reviewers who hold there belifes far to firmly to looks at something with out bias. i dont know who reviewed dragons crown, but bayonetta 2 receiving a 7 purely out of a strong belife or fear of mysoginism or sexism (not that I belive the game was either of these things) is completely assanine

Shahed

But art style goes a long way. I have DC via PS+ but I've never even booted up the game at all, and I thought Muramasa was pretty decent as well. You can have a good game, but if it's annoying to look at and experience it detracts from the overall product. It's a similar situation to Bayonetta, Star Ocean 4 and Final Fantasy X-2 which were enjoyable to actually play but had other factors in how they were presented bringing the game down

LiK

As far as dragon crowns bad reviews, its no different than bayonetta 2. There are certain reviewers who hold there belifes far to firmly to looks at something wothout bias. i dont know who reviewed dragons crown, but bayonetta 2 receiving a 7 purely out of a strong belife or fear of mysoginism or sexism (not that I belive the game was either of these things) is completely assanine

and then some well known feminists like Wu later said Bayonetta was an awesome character in Bayo 2 in contrast to those reviews.

Japan really doesn't get how much the rest of the world likes their games, do they? I find it funny that Square was surprised at how well Bravely Default sold in the West. I think what Japanese developers fail to realize is that gamers in their 20s and 30s grew up playing Japanese games and now that they have disposable income they want more of what they played when they were kids. The Final Fantasy VII Remake hype should prove that.

I think the biggest offender in this sense is Atlus. It's like they don't care about the West when it comes to Persona 5. They skipped out on E3, Gamescom and PSX. All great opportunities to get their Western fans excited.

Hopefully as this generation goes on Japan realizes that Western fans really enjoy their games and want more.

P5 is weird. I feel like it was only announced as early as it was in order to prevent people from getting worried the franchise was stagnating, since they announced it simultaneously with a bunch of Persona 4 spinoffs.

We only saw it at TGS next year so they could say, "yeah, it's being delayed, but here's a PS4 port".

After that I get the impression they knew it was being delayed again and the TGS '15 stuff was just to assure us it was still coming in spite of it.

I have a feeling that if it weren't for having to dissuade all those potential "too much Persona 4" concerns in 2013, we wouldn't have even been seeing anything of the game until 2016 to begin with. Which is much closer to Atlus's usual announcement --> release schedule.

and then some well known feminists like Wu later said Bayonetta was an awesome character in Bayo 2 in contrast to those reviews.

oh yeah I remember that, that was some good old fashion irony. Its that idea of defending someone or a group of people from something that they dont necessarily want to be shielded from

Synth

I really feel like the issue is less the idea of it being a fanservicey bikini game, and more the fact that it's a fanservicey bikini game which prominently features Marie Rose.

Honestly, this is it. It's the one clear differentiator between this edition and the previous entries. You can see the difference in perception even just on this forum in comparison to the previous games.. and it'd certainly extrapolate beyond that if it were sitting on store shelves.

Vlaphor

Shu's comment on DOAX3 makes sense. As I recall, the previous games never sold particularly well but were more of a cult classic among certain individuals.

Why waste money and time on localization if it sells poorly again? Release in Japan, wait for reaction.

They actually sell quite well considering their niche and that they were a Japanese tuned game series on consoles that barely exist in Japan.

With two main games and one side game, the series is at about 900k sold. Senran Kagura has four main games and three side games on consoles far more popular in Japan and that series of games recently sold one million. I think DOAX 3 would sell just fine in the west.

The West do buy Japanese games.

They just buy so much more Western games than Japanese games with less convincing needed. Of course it would be surprising.

I wonder if Japan thinks we're just dude bros into shooters. :/

Not all but it certainly feels like most do buy those games.

however, I actually feel like people from overseas are willing to evaluate Japanese games more than people from Japan.

supa-hot-fire-gif-12564.gif

I can't help but feel that we might need a second-opinion translation of whatever this interview was. A lot of this comes out rather awkwardly.

Abriael

Banned

I can't help but feel that we might need a second-opinion translation of whatever this interview was. A lot of this comes out rather awkwardly.

It's accurate. Just fairly literal in the wording, which is what makes some things sound awkward. Like "evaluate" would probably sound better as "appreciate."

Duxxy3

My best advice for Japanese developers is always the same - just do your own thing. The rest of the world will either like it or they won't. We loved Japanese games for a long time. Basically up until last generation.

But art style goes a long way. I have DC via PS+ but I've never even booted up the game at all, and I thought Muramasa was pretty decent as well. You can have a good game, but if it's annoying to look at and experience it detracts from the overall product. It's a similar situation to Bayonetta, Star Ocean 5 and Final Fantasy X-2.

This would make a valid point if the person reviewing DC didn't already have a bias against it, so the editor should of found a person who didn't have something against the game from the get go.

Setsuna

After all, there is a cultural differences. Because In Western countries, the awareness on how to treat and express females in the medium such as games are very differs from Japan.

I dont care give me my game

Shahed

It's accurate. Just fairly literal in the wording, which is what makes some things sound awkward. Like "evaluate" would probably sound better as "appreciate."
I took it to mean that people from the West analyse and scrutinise Japanese games even more than they do themselves.

Shahed

This would make a valid point if the person reviewing DC didn't already have a bias against it, so the editor should of found a person who didn't have something against the game from the get go.
I kind of agree with you. When reviewing a game you shouldn't do so with any preconceived notions and beliefs that already impact it either positively or negatively. Nor should concerns about the industry and the wider medium. A product should be reviewed on it's own values whichever way they lie.

But that's kind if hard to do since reviews are subjective. It's nigh on impossible to isolate a game from everything else around it. But that's also why I generally find reviews a waste of time. At least the scoring of them anyway

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So..this obviously means Japan Studio is working The Legend of Dragoon remake, produced by Yosp right? He was the one who essentially made that game happen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I took it to mean that people from the West analyse and scrutinise Japanese games even more than they do themselves.

While that is probably true, too, that's not what Shu said.

They actually sell quite well considering their niche and that they were a Japanese tuned game series on consoles that barely exist in Japan.

With two main games and one side game, the series is at about 900k sold. Senran Kagura has four main games and three side games on consoles far more popular in Japan and that series of games recently sold one million. I think DOAX 3 would sell just fine in the west.

I think in a market with Senran Kagura, Akiba's Trip and Criminal Girls in it that if Tecmo thought DOAX3 would be profitable, they would release it. Gamers are scared of the non-existent SJW boogeyman. Companies where the bottom line is their number one priority are not.

TCKaos

Did everyone forget the huge humbug over Dragon's Crown when it was released? A bunch of major outlets gave it terrible scores because they said the art objectified the Sorceress, Amazon and Elf too much.

Nobody remember when Jason Schreier called George Kamitani a 14 year old because the Sorceress had big boobs? He also attempted to call Kamitani fired back and everyone called him homophobic.

There were very divisive threads about it here. Schreier posted here about it. Every single major outlet had a stance on it.

This shit not ring bells?

Tohsaka

Marie Rose...

She's in the western version of Dead or Alive 5, and that already lets you put her in swimsuits and a bunch of other fetish outfits with different camera angles. It's not like DoAX3 has nudity or sex scenes, or anything, and it's honestly more tame than a lot of other games that get localized these days.

Did everyone forget the huge humbug over Dragon's Crown when it was released? A bunch of major outlets gave it terrible scores because they said the art objectified the Sorceress, Amazon and Elf too much.

Nobody remember when Jason Schreier called George Kamitani a 14 year old because the Sorceress had big boobs? He also attempted to call Kamitani fired back and everyone called him homophobic.

There were very divisive threads about it here. Schreier posted here about it. Every single major outlet had a stance on it.

This shit not ring bells?

Dragon's Crown is also Vanillaware's best-selling game, the "controversy" helped it sell.

it's fine unless they're in a video game.

Whoa, honestly I haven't thought of this before but you are right: in no other place do boons cause as much of a stink in America. Look at our fucking pop stars, they are the ones who deserve the scrutiny.

And unlike other mediums we have the excuse of Japan.

Top Bottom