• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHUT UP ABOUT PLOT HOLES

pel1300

No wonder this guy has such a large following. He's a safe haven for those who want to hand wave bad writing and not hold the film industry accountable for writing lazy scripts.

LOL @ the classic straw man he uses: "If characters acted 100% logical all the time there would be no conflict and the movie would be fuckin boring"

Funny how he didn't bring up Prometheus - the king of horrible writing.

Weiji

Banned
Character choice plot holes don’t bother me nearly as much as story or mechanical plot holes.

In Avengers End Game baddies are able to bring their entire mega ship into the future with 1 person / trip worth of pym particles, that annoys me.

Surprising character choices are fine as long they follow very roughly the personality of that character or have some motivation.

It really bugs me when we see a situation where everything could be resolved with a single line of dialogue that would be expected between two characters. Often that line is withheld to generate conflict, and it makes the movie feel contrived and unrealistic.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Shut up about other people having problems with a movie. Not everyone has to like the things you like.

This is the real world. Demanding other people see the world the same as you is the pettiest most childish shit ever. It’s all subjective.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
In general most plot holes are a result of not bad writing or poor story telling but of just people who delve deeply into schadenfreude. They are only happy when they are taking dogs at others and finding fault. And they are so desperate to find fault they will invent things that arent there and step out of the bounds of normal means to find them.

I find most people that complain about plot holes are simply playing the "what if" game and in that game you have an infinite supply of situations you can easily create to support whatever you want.

Like in avengers end game. No one it seemed could simply just enjoy the movie for what it was and every complaint or plot hole they were making a big stink about was just a "well what if this" or "what if that" or "why didn't so and so do this". Its all just pointless bullshit brewed up by people who arent happy unless they are shitting on something else just to get a cheap sense of self satisfaction. They arent entertained by the movie, they are entertained by doing anything they can to pick it apart later. I'd wager it's because they are closed minded and kind of stupid and in general feel inferior in life so in turn they make themselves feel smart and valued by going online to do any mental gymnastics they have to in order to rip something apart in a veiled attempt at sound witty and insightful. Meanwhile I just enjoyed the movie for what is was.

Now I will complain about truly bad plot holes in movies if it's warranted. Mostly my complaints arent plot holes as many I can just forgive, I'm not cynical enough to bitch about stuff like "come on now how did they start that car that's been abandoned for 20 years?". My complaints are things like in a movie where 2 complete strangers meet and within 30 seconds they are lifelong best friends or fall in love, where things are rushed and not built so the viewer doesn't have anything invested in it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
In general most plot holes are a result of not bad writing or poor story telling but of just people who delve deeply into schadenfreude. They are only happy when they are taking dogs at others and finding fault. And they are so desperate to find fault they will invent things that arent there and step out of the bounds of normal means to find them.

I find most people that complain about plot holes are simply playing the "what if" game and in that game you have an infinite supply of situations you can easily create to support whatever you want.

Like in avengers end game. No one it seemed could simply just enjoy the movie for what it was and every complaint or plot hole they were making a big stink about was just a "well what if this" or "what if that" or "why didn't so and so do this". Its all just pointless bullshit brewed up by people who arent happy unless they are shitting on something else just to get a cheap sense of self satisfaction. They arent entertained by the movie, they are entertained by doing anything they can to pick it apart later. I'd wager it's because they are closed minded and kind of stupid and in general feel inferior in life so in turn they make themselves feel smart and valued by going online to do any mental gymnastics they have to in order to rip something apart in a veiled attempt at sound witty and insightful. Meanwhile I just enjoyed the movie for what is was.

Now I will complain about truly bad plot holes in movies if it's warranted. Mostly my complaints arent plot holes as many I can just forgive, I'm not cynical enough to bitch about stuff like "come on now how did they start that car that's been abandoned for 20 years?". My complaints are things like in a movie where 2 complete strangers meet and within 30 seconds they are lifelong best friends or fall in love, where things are rushed and not built so the viewer doesn't have anything invested in it.

Or like...when I saw TLJ and purple hair lady rammed hyperspace kamikaze'd the big bad I thought it looked cool as hell, but also broke everything about Star Wars space battles. You know that whole Death Star thing that was invulnerable except for tiny weak point only a small fighter could get to? Turns out you could just hyperspace some cruisers into it! In the thousands of years of constant warring in a universe called Star Wars, nobody ever thought to try that! ...or it's just logically inconsistent and TLJ's plot is dumb as hell.

pel1300

Or like...when I saw TLJ and purple hair lady rammed hyperspace kamikaze'd the big bad I thought it looked cool as hell, but also broke everything about Star Wars space battles. You know that whole Death Star thing that was invulnerable except for tiny weak point only a small fighter could get to? Turns out you could just hyperspace some cruisers into it! In the thousands of years of constant warring in a universe called Star Wars, nobody ever thought to try that! ...or it's just logically inconsistent and TLJ's plot is dumb as hell.
The Death Star has a protective shield. The hyperspace ram could NOT be done against a Death Star.

But you'd know this already if you weren't bot.

"Purple hair lady"? -That is Holdo. And to dismiss her as "purple hair lady"....you know what that means.

This explains her leadership perfectly:

MetalAlien

Banned
The Death Star has a protective shield. The hyperspace ram could NOT be done against a Death Star.

"Purple hair lady"? -That is Holdo. And to dismiss her as "purple hair lady"....you know what that means.

You are trying to defend TLJ? Everything you say from now on is meaningless.

Nymphae

Banned

Once inside that barrier, like they were in ANH, and RoTJ, they didn't need to use Force guided missiles to aim down a meter wide shaft on the exterior, or make a suicidal flight all the way into the core, they could have just programmed a droid to activate hyperspace in the direction of the ship core, and mission complete. Regardless of the lore you want to cite to justify TLJ's retardedness, that manuever, if possible, should have been seen many times before, but it's just really cheap and lazy writing that complicates everything that came before. Not to mention the fuel stuff.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

The Death Star 2 had a protective shield, of course, there was a whole plot line about taking it down to make it vulnerable. The X-Wings flew right up to the Death Star one and were wrecking shit all over the surface of it no problem.

And no I don't know what you mean to dismiss her as purple hair lady, I literally never learned her name because I didn't bother rewatching the movie more than once and I don't remember it even being said? I mean, she still saved the day in the end...sorta. I don't dislike the character and found Poe to be obnoxiously hot-headed to say the least. I still say the "physics" of Star Wars is broken with her kamikaze run. (Also watching planets in other star systems explode with the naked eye was a dumb part of TFA).

MetalAlien

Banned
Once inside that barrier, like they were in ANH, and RoTJ, they didn't need to use Force guided missiles to aim down a meter wide shaft on the exterior, or make a suicidal flight all the way into the core, they could have just programmed a droid to activate hyperspace in the direction of the ship core, and mission complete. Regardless of the lore you want to cite to justify TLJ's retardedness, that manuever, if possible, should have been seen many times before, but it's just really cheap and lazy writing that complicates everything that came before. Not to mention the fuel stuff.
This is actually a problem with any science fiction that has faster than light travel. If you could make a normal bullet travel faster than light it would probably destroy a whole planet. The energies approach infinite.

Barnabot

I tolerate a lot of things in movies. But if some writers want to bullshit me they better do that with some sympathy and some taste. Don't pull Deus Ex Machinas and don't pull me Capitain Marvel flawless and invencible superheroes either.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is actually a problem with any science fiction that has faster than light travel. If you could make a normal bullet travel faster than light it would probably destroy a whole planet. The energies approach infinite.

But is usually explained by FTL travel being in some sort of "hyperspace" or "subspace" or "jumping" from point A to point B, not literally traveling at the speed of light through physical space with that amount of kinetic energy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Shut up about other people having problems with a movie. Not everyone has to like the things you like.

This is the real world. Demanding other people see the world the same as you is the pettiest most childish shit ever. It’s all subjective.
It would be a lot more palatable of people accepted this on both sides. That's why I particularly hate the term 'plot hole' as it often used definitevely for a subjective opinion. It is also used as a way to dismiss something someone considers bad, without having to explain their subjective opinion.
Take the TLJ, is it full of plot holes, yup, all movies are. Do they make it a bad movie - not really. Is it a bad movie? It definitely has bad sections, that taken as a whole someone could consider it to be bad. But Luke being a loner jerk for example isn't a plot hole, bit it definitely can be considered bad writing subjectively. Light speed missiles? Maybe a plot hole or maybe there will be a mcguffin that explains why it isn't in the next movie, the entire movie was based on mcguffin light speed tracker in the first place. Light speed travel has been a constant bullshit plot device throughout the series. It's broken, it's fixed, it's not really broken, they jumped to light speed, nope they landed on the back of the ship etc etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom