• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sick of poor box art! Give me some good ones! Let's compare!

So I recently looked into the thread concerning Death Strandings (Hideo Kojimas latest "masterpiece") box art and I gotta say the quality in box arts overall has really deteriorated over the years. Sure there are some good ones but it seems that with everything going digital, the companies are getting less and less interesting and stylish. So I thought I'd try and see what others compare as their opinions on some bad and good box arts. Come on have a go, I'll start. (btw, opinions not fact) thread that inspired this one

The Bad:
mIvweIW.jpg

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Look, I'm excited for the game, it comes out in a couple of days and I already got it on pre-order. If I had the extra money I'd definitely be buying that special edition because at least I'd get a more udnerstanding cover of this game, why? Well, the arts good, I like the style but theres a few things that make this cover a bit of an eyesore
1. The avatars: I know this games avatars will have a higher importance to the story than previous games avatars but their designs, whilst nice on their own are really bland in comparison with the three lords, the colours just clash in a way that I don't like. Oh yeah, speaking of the lords...
2. Lords: Okay, so they're all looking off somewhere off screen (except for the big trouble maker, but we'll get to him), apparently because there is something really interesting there that we can't see (wish I could). Also why are their weapons glowing those colours in the center, I know they each have a colour to represent their houses colour but it just looks 'eh'. And then finally...
3. Claude: Okay so for those who don't know, the yellow lords name is Claude and for all those thinking of the question, I'll ask it for you... WHY IS HE UPSIDE DOWN!? I mean why? Does he think it's funny? Because it's not. It's weird.

Other than those complaints I don't really have any complaints, in fact there are things I like, such as the previously mentioned art style and also I like the blue hue they used in it. Now onto the next one...

1IHuKDO.jpg

Death Stranding
Okay so I am pretty excited for this game, not gonna lie. I am awaiting it's release with a pre-order on standby for when it comes out. Buuuuuuuuuutttt....
Kojima, my man, we know you like movies and we know you like your good ol' buddy and friend Norman Reedus. You've probably maxed out your social link with him in the past months and this is what came out (that might be how we finally got footage) but why is the box art for your game so 'meh'. I mean there's nothing exactly wrong or bad with this but it just lacks the oomph that your previous covers had, need I bring up the stellar art done by Yoji Shinkawa. Although saying that I actually more prefer your penguin adventure box art to this. At least I won't associate Norman Reedus with Penguin Adventure whenever I look at it's cover. Although I can definitely say I like the font he's got, gives me goosebumps, at least it would if I saw it as spooky but I can at least see that it's trying something menacing with it. Although I put this here because it just came out and was lacking in longevity IMO, it's not the worst box art I've ever seen. Nah, I got something even better (worse?) for that

CY9wEtM.jpg

Silent Hill
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WHAT IS THAT!? WHAT IS THAT MONSTROSITY!? This ladies and gentlemen is the Silent Hill box art. I think this image speaks for itself on how bad it is. Its got clearly definable characters but... how is this acceptable. This is disgusting. I want it to burn. That's it. No more, no less.

Well that wraps it up on my few pics for bad box arts so let's get onto some of my favourites (So in writing this up I realised I might have picked on Konami a little much there, so I'll try and have a go at rectifying that. Doesn't fix their bad box arts but at least it can show that someone competent worked there)

The Good:

HRal9V1.jpg

Zone of the Enders
Okay, so I will admit this right from the get go, this is not my favourite example of Z.O.E box art, that still goes to the ones done by Yoji Shinkawa, but I think we should sometimes pay attention to the little guys sometimes, so here is the Z.O.E 1 box art for ps2 (without the logo for the MGS2 demo because come on, who got that game for the box art alone). I must say I love the colours and shading used in this. The way the reds and blues clash on the mech that is Jehuty. It's so cool. SO COOL. This box art got me hyped to play this game, it just screamed awesome. Of course the game that this box art belongs to is very lacking. Just go play the second one, it's way better. But this will still be the sickest box art to get me into this series. Also that logo. So cool.

NKrUwBS.jpg

Okami (replaceables, ignore that third one)
Okay, so this one is kind of funny with why. So basically back in the day, for the WII release of Okami, the box art that they released was ripped from IGN's website and reused, so when the copies were bought by people, they all had the IGN logo on the boxart, it's slightly faded but I remember it clean as day, so they had a program where you could get some sick Okami box art replacement sent to you, all simply by putting in an order on the site. There's an old thread on NeoGAF here so I'll link it, Okami Box Art Replacement thread. So anyway, my box art of choice here is the one with the fight against Waka. The ones where Amaterasu was all neutral in her stance were a little dull, still beautiful, but lacked character in its characters. The fight with Waka though, look at it. That's all I need to say.

You know, I feel I've given too much attention to the eastern game box arts here so lets have a the last look be a great western game box art.

wj8XAJ0.png

DOOM (switch)
Now I'm certain I'm unoriginal in this opinion, in fact I'd hesitate to say it's an opinion with the amount of people siding the one way, but the original DOOM 2016 box art was a stanced man and that was it, hte only character it had was the one standing an blocking our view of his world and all we could tell was that he looked big and bulky. Then come the Nintendo Switch and it's port and I was expecting the same, after all, game devs nowadays don't care about giving us a nice way to see what the game is like through box art, they'd rather we just play their game, not caring if in 3 years their game wound up blending in with all the store shelves, but lo and behold, this lovely specimen emerges. Ah, it's too beautiful I just can't stare without drooling. What's DOOM about? Killing Demons. Where do you kill demons? In Hell. What does this box art tell me about this game? I'M ABOUT TO GO KILLING DEMONS IN HELL... WITH A COOL SHOTGUN. It's just great, nothing less but maybe something more.

That's it. It was mainly a way to start the thread, that's why I tried to pick some well known and pretty damn good games to start those minds working. I want to hear more on all your opinions, give me something that I don't know exists. I want to be wowed. Show me some out of field picks. Try to be original, unlike me who just complains that all box arts are just non-descript men with guns on the cover.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Gravity rush : A innocent and beautiful girl that is falling from the Sky with a marvelous draw and is such cute detail.

latest

Gravity rush 2: Look the marvelous and detail of the cover, full of color with a live city, precious form to show Kat and Raven and the many and tiny details of the cover. Its such a Beautiful Game.

Last edited:

Ellis

Bad: US cover
Metal-Gear-Solid-4-Guns-Of-The-Patriots.jpg
Metal-Gear-Solid-4-Guns-Of-The-Patriots.jpg

That US cover is really bad. They should have used the Europe one everywhere.

If my memory serves me correctly, this was also the original first release cover in the Europe too. In the UK, you could only get the Yoji Shinkawa version if the retailer included it, as it was a separate cardboard sleeve cover.

swWxppQ.jpg

ob
/thread

My grandma made a huge scandal when she saw this game on my shelf. I was 11 and a wanking begginer. Truly evocative and inspirational stuff

Can I just say that Army Moves was utter unmitigated turd. I picked it up on budget for my Atari ST back in the early 90s and it was honestly the worst game I ever played. Slow and impossible.

The jump mechanic was so fucked up. I played on a commodore 64 and it was infuriating to say the least.

Games from the early days needed to grab attention with great or provocative box art and it really added value to the overall user experience, The one of Castlevania that has been posted in the thread is one of the best I have seen. Or the intriguing golden one of the first Zelda game.

Let's have a go at carrying on then.

The Bad:
nKTo9wy.jpg

Yakuza 3 (western cover)
Ooooh, here's a good (bad?) one to start off. This is the cover of the western release of the third entry in the Yakuza series and in this legendary series, where I will directly allow a comparison below, what type of cover do they use? A photoshopped image of an untouched up Kazuma Kiryu model with that good ol' 6th gen goatee. Classic. I'd say that the dragon is awesome as a compliment but it's practically in every Yakuza cover so no points there.

EAYEvY0.png

Come on, there's just no contest

k4tA6Nx.jpg

Final Fantasy 13
So remember when I said that any unoriginal complaints of mine were "there's literally only men with guns on covers, these suck"? Well good ol' Square Enix did us a favor, they did the exact same thing but with a girl instead, albeit a cutie. Now, I've not only got complaints for this cover. There are some things I like, such as the design of the actual character and the logo for the game, being the title emblazoned in that strong, underlined font, partially covering the little drawing representing the game. It's classic FF at that point, although with covers like the FF4 and FF6 box arts? It just ain't up to par.

XbJ5X9k.jpg

Final Fantasy 4 (ds)

IOUgTy1.jpg

Final Fantasy 6

lqRDxVP.jpg

Resident Evil 4
You know what really strikes me as memorable in the resident evil series, or even 4 in particular. It's not the zombie dogs, mad chainsaw villagers or even the European (clearly Spanish) setting. IT'S LEON KENNEDY SUPER IMPOSED ONTO AN IMAGE OF A GROUP OF VILLAGERS. Now there's a fantastic cover for RE4 that was released as the box art in Europe. I'll put it right now.

M3GKvPI.jpg

Now there are many reasons and ways I can state that this is the superior box art, although I think anyone who isn't blind could tell me that this one if the superior one and I'd be hard pressed to offer a counter arguement. This just seems like one of those cases where an idiot is left to photoshop to produce the covers, screws up and calls an actual artist, the artist makes a great cover, the idiot submits them into different folders labeled 'American' and 'European' but forgot to take out his monstrosity and thus the populace was stuck with his mess. I honestly don't know what idiot management is left between these 2 choices and says "Use that one as well, we spent money on it after all!". Anyway, rant over, although one last gripe, in both versions of the cover I don't like the placement of the 4, it irks me beyond belief.

Now that the bad is over and done with, I can start thinking positive with the good ones and maybe this time I could be original and have a unique opinion

The Good:
RDiaXZz.jpg

Okay, so I'm going to be a weeb for a minute and explain, now I have played all of the Blazblue game, sans the weird DS and 3DS Blayzbloo things. I also own the collectors edition for Calamity Trigger, the one with the cool Noel art. So why isn't that one here instead. Again, it's because I prefer the almost comic style of the characters are in this, especially the eyes. It, to me, gives off an almost comic book style appeal rather than an anime-influenced one, not to mention with this style, alot of the character designs used are way more memorable than the original artist representations. I hear the artist is Yuuki Katou, from arc sys, not certain on that, but he was also credited with the art of World End Syndrome, which again has a very similar if not identical style to this. Although there's certainly some complaints here, such as the box art doesn't give me the feel of a fighting game. I can like the art all I want and buy the game if I want but all the information that I'm getting from this does not give off the vibes a fighting game box art should. Although I think the only one that has brought me closest to that feeling has been Tatsunoko vs. Capcom where they all look like there about to beat the crap out of each other so eh, shows what I know about fighting game box art.
Quick request, can someone have a go at finding some rad fighting game box art that feels like it's representing a fighting game, thanks.
wPLhInK.jpg

kvGIhFO.jpg

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Now I love ratchet and clank, I've played and own all the games. Now whenever I look at my R&C:ToD cover I get sad. Why? Because I live in Europe and we get a proper poor cover for our game. What do the Americans get? This rad as hell box art. Now look, what's the main thing you are seeing when you play these games? Clank behind Ratchet. This is literally the perfect symbolism for how the game is, without the need for informing about the weapons you can use. Now, it's undetstandable that any newcomers to the series that start with this will wonder what this means. But to long time fans? This is all the representation we need. This is THE 6th gen R&C:ToD box art. It's jsut perfect. Also quick shoutout below to the weird as hell Japanese box arts that change Ratchets eyebrows to be black? Okay. Weeeeiiiirrrdd.

Hp7iLtN.jpg

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (Europe)

CWrSXJF.jpg

Ratchet and Clank 3 (Japan)

lD6Vbrx.jpg

Hey, this artist doesn't need much introduction. It's goddamn Suzuhito Yasuda, a.k.a the Devil Survivor artist who also does Digimon on the side. Seriously, check this guy out, other than his cover art he does so many good illustrations of characters in his artstyle, an artstyle that just looks so nice on the eyes. He was also the artist for Durarara!!. God this guy has some nice art. This image is only related in the way of an example of his art, jeez it's so good.

Last edited:

Doom85

I know people go on about the European covers being superior, but to me it's never really mattered because I'm rarely looking at the cover anyway. The spine though, yeah that's what I'll see more often due to that being what's visible with the other games on the shelf. And seeing that while the US makes all their spines generally different (with the exceptions like the Wii U and Switch games' spines), Europe's PS2 games IIRC all have the same fully white spines with the exact same basic font on all their games. It looks REALLY BAD and visually dull on a shelf all together like that. To me, that's far worse than a bland cover that I will barely notice once I've bought the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sega's Japanese box art for Fist of the North Star is a really good modern example (and thankfully included as a reverse cover for the Western version):

original.jpg
Really thank god for that if not we would have been stuck with this crap.
3max.jpg

Same with Nier Automata.
81lU6FM6o5L._SX425_.jpg

91zUVaRqJ9L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

dust bunny

IcGg0rM.jpg

Japanese cover for The Guardian Legend (NES). Technically this is the booklet, but it has the same artwork as the box minus some gaudy golden stuff.

I personally like busy box arts.

Bad:

zelda_oot_boxart.png

It's a good title logo but that's about it.

Thankfully it was slightly improved with the box art for the remastered version:

ootcomparison.jpg

Good:

gaming_sleeping_dogs_box_art.jpg

9494-halo-combat-evolved-xbox-front-cover.jpg

233145-jet-grind-radio-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

182302-vigilante-8-2nd-offense-dreamcast-front-cover.png

14294-twisted-metal-2-playstation-front-cover.jpg

191724-chrono-cross-playstation-front-cover.jpg

MV5BNmQ2MGY3NmQtMTNkNS00Mzc1LWJkZjQtMjY2ZjEzNTg5YTBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2MzI5MzU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,704,1000_AL_.jpg

Anyone get the lenticular 3D version of this on the physical box? Only reason I even bought it physical at launch haha.

Also agreed on the Link's Awakening cover art. So nice I cannot even be bothered with the creative, but grey and boring steelbook edition.

VulcanRaven

This might be unpopular opinion but I don't like the NA cover of MGS1:
Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

Maybe they wanted it to look like the Final Fantasy covers but it doesn't work. It just looks like they forgot the image.

Last edited:
Top Bottom