• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE’s Masayasu Ito reminisces about the Development of the PS4 & PS4 Pro

Shin

Banned
Famitsu has released its interview with SIE’s executive vice president Masayasu Ito online, and he talks about the development of the PS4 as the console hits its fifth anniversary of its launch in Japan.

Here are the highlights:
  • Ito mentions that at the start of development, they decided to focus on recapturing the rush of momentum the PS1 and PS2 enjoyed, instead of focusing on sales numbers. That’s why he’s happy at how much support the console has received.

• In contrary to how the development of the PS3 went, the PS4 focused on making things easier for users and developers alike, with the Share button being an example of helping players. If creators supported the system thanks to Sony’s efforts making the PS4 easier to develop for, they thought, then the users would follow as well.

• Originally, the PS4 was not going to have 8GB of memory allocation. However, they listened to the developers who said it wasn’t enough, and went ahead with it despite concerns over costs. As Ito puts it, “After all, if creators don’t have an easy time, it won’t result in good games being made.” In the end, they lowered the costs on other parts of the PS4 in order to realize the 8GB of memory allocation.

• Another way they helped developers was by dropping proprietary system architecture and chips, and instead went for the same architecture as PCs. It was a very popular decision among developers as they developed their games on PC, and as such were familiar with the environment already.

• Ito reveals that beginning with the PS1, it is the CEO that decides upon the design of the console.

• For the PS4 Pro, Ito talked about how it stemmed from wanting to keep up with the march of technology, which has gotten ever faster. He looked at smartphones and PCs and thought, “Can’t we do something similar to that, even if it isn’t every year?” The reason why it was made the PS4 Pro and not the PS5 was because Ito wanted to improve graphics and make the system HDR-compatible while staying within the PS4 format.

• Ito revealed that Sony anticipated that HDR would see a boom sooner or later, and as such baked in HDR support into the PS4 from the start, which is why normal PS4s can also support HDR through updates. They didn’t see the need to advertise the fact since five years ago, TVs didn’t support the feature, so it would be meaningless.

• The PS4 and PS4 Pro are being sold in parallel to cater to different markets, with the standard PS4 catering to those who aren’t picky about graphics and would rather have a cheaper console, while the PS4 Pro is for those who wanted to get the very best experience out of playing PS4 games.

• Itou feels that since around the past year or two, games have been developed that utilize the full power of the PS4, such as Horizon: Zero Dawn, which really surprised him. Other games include Marvel’s Spider-Man, God of War, and Monster Hunter: World.

• Finally, he ended off the interview by saying that he believed that the PS4 will continue to sell well, thanks to enticing games still being pushed out, as well as the price drop in Japan.

Credit to Siliconera for the translation.

Personal note:
Masayasu Ito is not an outspoken person and he seldom can be seen in the spotlight yet commands SCE Inc. Japan Hardware Engineering division.
After the PS4/Pro's design was done he did an interview then disappeared, the fact he's showing up now tells me that PS5's design is done as it's a rinse and repeat.
His career progression leads me to believe this to be the case but I won't pass it as a fact, it's up to the reader's discretion as to what they believe or want to believe.

Last edited:

Caayn

Thanks for posting :)
Originally, the PS4 was not going to have 8GB of memory allocation. However, they listened to the developers who said it wasn’t enough, and went ahead with it despite concerns over costs. As Ito puts it, “After all, if creators don’t have an easy time, it won’t result in good games being made.” In the end, they lowered the costs on other parts of the PS4 in order to realize the 8GB of memory allocation.
I wonder what parts they downgraded to realize this. Is there any info on this?

Shin

Banned
None that I know of, you can count the times he did interviews on 1 hand - Le Google, which is why it's interesting to see him pop up.
If it's not between the above then perhaps 4Gamer.net or a older Famitsu interview or other known Japanese outlet, I don't recall ever reading about it though.

TLZ

Banned
The PS4 and PS4 Pro are being sold in parallel to cater to different markets, with the standard PS4 catering to those who aren’t picky about graphics and would rather have a cheaper console, while the PS4 Pro is for those who wanted to get the very best experience out of playing PS4 games.

I like this guy.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For the PS4 Pro, Ito talked about how it stemmed from wanting to keep up with the march of technology, which has gotten ever faster. He looked at smartphones and PCs and thought, “Can’t we do something similar to that, even if it isn’t every year?”

aka... “why can’t we make Apple like money by releasing new HW often just like Apple does?!? ... yeah but console owners that explicitly like the traditional model may feel butthurt and few developers will actually do much significant with it”... sums up PS4 Pro and mid generation consoles to a T.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
aka... “why can’t we make Apple like money by releasing new HW often just like Apple does?!? ... yeah but console owners that explicitly like the traditional model may feel butthurt and few developers will actually do much significant with it”... sums up PS4 Pro and mid generation consoles to a T.
Seriously screw this for consoles. If you want to upgrade your console hardware then just get a PC.

The PS4 was such a breath of fresh air after the PS3, it brought some of the old magic back.

While the PS3 did wind up delivering some great games eventually, those first few years were really rough, everyone and their grandmother just totally fucking hated Sony's guts, to the point that memes like "it's over, PS3 is finished" and "PS3 HAS NO GAMES" were born.

And yeah, it's not like people weren't upset with them for a reason, it had some flaws, though I personally never understood the glee with which people would bash Sony and the PS3, to me it was sad and disappointing, not something funny (though "IT'S RIDGE RACER! RIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEEER!" is a classic, hilarious meme)

But after slowly crawling their way out of the muck Sony really came out swinging with the PS4, it was a great redemption story.

The first party output on the PS4 has been outstanding, with the only weak link being no real multiplayer killer app, the PS4 will wind up being the only Playstation without a Twisted Metal game and I feel Twisted Metal would be the perfect ip for Sony's online killer app.

Hudo

Seriously screw this for consoles. If you want to upgrade your console hardware then just get a PC.
Agreed. If anything, this whole "let's put a fucking "pro version" out a bit later!" attitude caused me to wait a couple of years before I consider buying into next gen. I don't have anything against "slimmer" versions of consoles, I actually welcome those, as long as they keep the target hardware the same.

ethomaz

Banned
Mid gen refresh are fine if it not break the base console development... so the base should be the base.
I will probably never buy a mid gen refresh.

And I believe the changes to a mid gen refresh happened again is pretty low because the die shrink are not moving like old days of the Moore law... if PS5 is around 12TFs with 7nm I don't see in 3 years having tech (even with the buzz marketing 5nm) to reach something that allow a mid gen refresh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It seems they have been very forward-thinking with the PS4. From the Share Button all the way to HDR. Gives a bit more confidence with the direction of the PS5.

Top Bottom