• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu - Official Review Thread

DarthPutin

I really don't get this "diverse" whining. Are Chinese developers somehow prevented from making a game about martial arts?
First they say that you need more diverse characters in gaming (which is cool to have, sure), then they are pissed because YOU (developer) aren't diverse. I guess white people should only make games about white people. Then the press will be confused why the games are so homogenous. It's like some poisoned circle. Creators can't win, can they.

Elios83

81 metacritic is really good. Seems like the game basically lost points for its really high difficulty and rogue-like structure while the core-gameplay is great.
Given that I'm currently playing Uncharted remaster and I will soon have my dose of high difficulty gameplay with Elden Ring I wanted something more fun to play right now without any frustrations due to difficulty.
So I think I'm definetly going to pick this up but not day one as I wanted to.

Smoke6

Damn this brings back memories of playing Kung-Fu on nes! Me and my bro just sat a beat ninja garden the arcade classic after years of spending countless quarters at the arcades and not getting near the end lol

Markio128

Damn this brings back memories of playing Kung-Fu on nes! Me and my bro just sat a beat ninja garden the arcade classic after years of spending countless quarters at the arcades and not getting near the end lol
I have a friend who used to put 10p in Kung Fu Master in the arcade and just complete it multiple times. He was both very skilful and frugal 😂

ManaByte

Gold Member
alanah pearce seems to like it

That thumbnail
full-1.jpg

saintjules

Reviews should take scores down. But I guess that won't fit their narrative. They know people don't read their stuff

Yeah I agree with you on the score numbers. Just list pros and cons. Then people can think for themselves and see if it's worth it or not.

I'm waiting for the shit show when Horizon reviews come in.

Last edited:
I really don't get this "diverse" whining. Are Chinese developers somehow prevented from making a game about martial arts?
First they say that you need more diverse characters in gaming (which is cool to have, sure), then they are pissed because YOU (developer) aren't diverse. I guess white people should only make games about white people. Then the press will be confused why the games are so homogenous. It's like some poisoned circle. Creators can't win, can they.
The only way to win is to not play into the mob’s hands. The moment you even try to justify yourself is the exact moment you lose everything.

MiguelItUp

So, I got to the second boss and died (game over'd) for the first time. I'm really enjoying it. I understand people have some severe issues with losing and difficulty, but this games vibe and visuals make it so much easier to digest. It makes me want to do better, and get better as a whole. I don't feel like it's TOO hard by any means.

REALLY annoying to hear about the whole diversity thing. But of course people will complain about the smallest, and dumbest things. I'd understand if the material was disrespectful, a disgrace, etc. But this isn't, nor was Ghost of Tsushima, and people still tried to complain about that. Even after Japanese devs commended them. I hate people, lol.

xrnzaaas

The game looks fun to play. I don't know if I'd have fun with it as I usually suck at fighting games. I'm still interested and at least it's going to land on my wishlist with hopes for a later purchase.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Really digging it so far ... very stylish. Dying is not so bad when you can literally just get up in the same place, no backtracking or replaying whole stages after death.

Ulysses 31

Really digging it so far ... very stylish. Dying is not so bad when you can literally just get up in the same place, no backtracking or replaying whole stages after death.
But dying ages you and you won't be able to progress or get certain skills once you're too old. :messenger_winking_tongue:

arvfab

Banned

It's only fair they criticize western devs doing eastern games. I mean, remember the backlash for example Capcom got for Resident Evil and their US cast of characters.
I heard aliens are also pretty pissed at us earthlings for our depiction of them.
But the biggest sinner is Nintendo, having an italian character as mascot, yet I've never seen him eat pizza.

Fbh

I'll wait for a sale.
Game sounds fun but the it also sounds like it's almost NES era like in its challenge, using punishing difficulty to cover up an overall lack of content

TheMan

I was more excited before I found out it was a rogue like. The martial arts aspect looks really cool. I predict this will bomb though, so I’ll wait a couple months and pick it up for 30 to 50 percent off

I was more excited before I found out it was a rogue like. The martial arts aspect looks really cool. I predict this will bomb though, so I’ll wait a couple months and pick it up for 30 to 50 percent off
81 metacritic is a bomb? Wow. 90 must be a smaller bomb then and a 10 is a miniscule bomb?

Reviews are up now..

Last edited:

GHG

"Between the astonishing aesthetic paired with remarkable sound direction, Sifu is a presentational marvel. But unfortunately, punishing gameplay and overly-complex systems make for an inaccessible and overwhelmingly difficult experience."

Sounds like I'll enjoy this one then.

Whenever I hear crying about difficulty and "accessibility" I immediately become more interested.

Last edited:
I'll be so happy when my newborn babies grow little bit and I'll get to buy this, Dying Light 2 and Horizon Forbidden West at a sale !

Elden Ring I pre ordered.

This month is the best gaming month in a long time. It's actually quite sick.

GHG

Sekiro is sitting at MC 90. But you don't grind and replay the same tiny amount of content over and over again.

someone vision GIF

It took me 3 days to beat Isshin, 2 days each to beat the guardian ape and demon of hatred and a day to beat lady butterfly.

Not in literal playtime obviously but I hit many roadblocks throughout my playthrough of that game and the only way to get through it was to get better.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
someone vision GIF

It took me 3 days to beat Isshin, 2 days each to beat the guardian ape and demon of hatred and a day to beat lady butterfly.

Not in literal playtime obviously but I hit many roadblocks throughout my playthrough of that game and the only way to get through it was to get better.
Its a difficult game but its not a roguelike. Roguelike is cheap and lazy game design.

Top Bottom