• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*sigh* … I'm reluctant to buy a single PS4 game from now on.

CJY

Banned
I haven't bought any PS4 games since before Spider-Man. I was firmly in the PS5 2019 camp so decided to hold off on game purchases and build a PC instead. I'm proud of the decision I made.

sublimit

Banned
Well i play my games because i base my appreciation and enjoyment factor on their core values (game design,level design,art direction) and not on trivial (for me) things like resolutions and framerates. As long as something (except fighting games) is at a stable 30fps i'm good. And for that reason i very rarely buy a remaster if i had played the original version unless it adds new things to the gameplay (like FFXII The Zodiac Age)

V4skunk

Banned
Don't know what to do.

There are quite a few PS4 games I'm drooling for right now. Resident Evil 3, Ghosts of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry V (had it on X1), MK11 (had it on X1), and 3-4 games as well.

But I'm worried it's going to be money badly spent because there are quite possibly going to be PS5 editions of those games - and since Sony has yet to clarify on its stance of whether a PS4 game will be upgraded to its PS5 edition (like MS announced for its 1st party games), I don't want to waste money on games I'll re-buy 6-12 months down the line.

On the other hand, those PS5 editions may not be day 1 PS5 games and it might take months or years to be re-mastered in PS5 editions. So, holding out for those games may end up taking a lot more time than I thought.

So, should I buy the PS4 versions of those games and risk having to buy them all over again for the PS5, or do I wait for - at least - a year before buying them once for the PS5?

*sigh* cross-gen timeframe was never more frustrating ...
Why would you buy a game a second time for another console though?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
not sure there will be a HUGE gap in PS4/ PS5 games. at least not until toward the end of the PS5 lifecycle. i'd imagine PS5 would do better framerate, pacing, texture filtering, etc. but not that the games themselves would require massive remastering, bringing PS4 games to PS5. it isn't like taking a PS1 game and re-designing the low poly models in high definition, the graphics difference is a lot less. most likely these releases would be more or less the same game, if it uses better textures or something, that's something they can even push w a patch. if PS5 has backwards compatibility, then even more reason to hold onto those PS4 games, as they will perform better anyways.

Last edited:

Discusguy

Buy the games you want at bargain bin prices and forget about it.

If you’re so worried about buying games. Don’t sell your X1X and keep subscribing to Game Pass and never worry again.

Nickolaidas

Why would you buy a game a second time for another console though?
Packed my X. PS gaming only from now on (unless I change my mind in the future). If you're referring to buying a PS5 version when I have a PS4 version, higher resolution, better framerate, extra graphical effects (sometimes).

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Why wait?

1 you dont know if there will be ps5 versions of the games you want at all.

2 if there are and you buy them you'll be paying more for them, probably 3x as much as you can buy the games at now.

3 unless it's a complete remake it's not going to look insanely better and that's up to the developer if they want to do that. But even if it looks better it's still the exact same game and 1 generation difference isn't going to make it seem like a major leap.

4 when ps5 comes out you'll have actual games made for the ps5 coming out you'll want to play so you'll just be starting out with a huge backlog.

Just buy the games you want and enjoy them now, then when ps5 launches youll have games then to enjoy. Trying to always wait for something better in technology is always a fool's errand as youll always find yourself waiting for the next better thing around the corner, but that corner is one of 4 corners meaning it never ends.

I want to play games out now so when new system comes out I can play the new games, not play old re released games from like 3 or 4 years ago.

Don't know what to do.

There are quite a few PS4 games I'm drooling for right now. Resident Evil 3, Ghosts of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry V (had it on X1), MK11 (had it on X1), and 3-4 games as well.

But I'm worried it's going to be money badly spent because there are quite possibly going to be PS5 editions of those games - and since Sony has yet to clarify on its stance of whether a PS4 game will be upgraded to its PS5 edition (like MS announced for its 1st party games), I don't want to waste money on games I'll re-buy 6-12 months down the line.

On the other hand, those PS5 editions may not be day 1 PS5 games and it might take months or years to be re-mastered in PS5 editions. So, holding out for those games may end up taking a lot more time than I thought.

So, should I buy the PS4 versions of those games and risk having to buy them all over again for the PS5, or do I wait for - at least - a year before buying them once for the PS5?

*sigh* cross-gen timeframe was never more frustrating ...

OP no matter how hawt games going to be I'm only dropping $ on CyberPunk (cause I can't wait) and prolly TLOU2..that's it..I'm ready for nxt gen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I totally get where the OP is coming from and I think their suspicion is justified. Gamers tend to want the "best" version of a game before jumping into it ("Best" being whatever they can afford/manage at the time).

Plenty of companies have dipped their hand back into the "remaster" cookie jar, not just Sony. Personally, I am waiting on quite a few games to see if they'll get an Ultimate version, to say nothing of a possible remaster on PS5.

At the end of the day, nothing requires you to play these games when they launch. Waiting allows you to buy them at a cheaper price if a remaster never materializes (win) or to get the eventual Ultimate/Remaster when it comes out (also win).

Yeah, I do. But I recently decided to go PlayStation only and abandon all other consoles. So we're talking about having MK11 already bought for the X1X, re-buying it for the PS4 version, and THEN maybe buy a PS5 version down the line. Urrgh!

Why would you limit yourself that much? I mean I'm more of a PC guy so I have Game Pass Ultimate from Cdkeys and a PS4 Pro for exclusives. My X1X is my main console as a result of being primarily on PC but why go PS only? Is it to get rid of the whole 'which console should I get this game for' debate? Never been an XBOX guy (had a 360 but only played PS3 really) but their whole BC stance and PC integration makes it so much more consumer friendly than PS IMO.

Nickolaidas

Why would you limit yourself that much? I mean I'm more of a PC guy so I have Game Pass Ultimate from Cdkeys and a PS4 Pro for exclusives. My X1X is my main console as a result of being primarily on PC but why go PS only? Is it to get rid of the whole 'which console should I get this game for' debate? Never been an XBOX guy (had a 360 but only played PS3 really) but their whole BC stance and PC integration makes it so much more consumer friendly than PS IMO.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!!

Max_Po

Banned
The only major releases left on PS4 are

Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima , The last of us Part 2.

oh yea, BACKLOG !!!

Coming from someone into minimalism I completely get it.
There are too many games to play as it is let alone with 2 or 3 consoles. It’s also easier from the standpoint you mentioned. If one only has a single console then they don’t really need to figure out what version is best because it doesn’t matter.
You miss out on games but idk about you but I don’t have enough time for the games I have.

I actually really miss when I was younger and only had a PS2 and then a PS3. Things were simpler *sigh*

Mista

Banned
But what if the upgrade version is just a patch like they do now with the X and Pro?
It’ll be magnificent. Nobody wants the remasters treatment

I remember this current gen when they gave me a remaster for the last of us like what the fuck bruv? You could’ve just given me the game for free since I bought it already but no, Sony won’t do that. Thats why I said we won’t be getting any upgraded version for free. I’ll be more than happy if Sony proves I'm wrong

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I remember this current gen when they gave me a remaster for the last of us like what the fuck bruv? You could’ve just given me the game for free since I bought it already but no, Sony won’t do that. Thats why I said we won’t be getting any upgraded version for free. I’ll be more than happy if Sony proves I'm wrong

I think BC in the same ecosystem changes things though compared to last gen.

I was glad to have a 60fps TLoU too at the time.

nowhat

You do realize how radically different the Cell and x64 is? Porting the game was far from toggling a simple compile flag (link to a GDC talk):

A great watch if you're into programming at all, but TL;DR it took a lot of work to get it to run like the original in the first place, and a lot more to reach the 60fps target (they cheat a bit, the game logic and rendering logic run serially, so there's a single added frame of input lag - at 60fps it's not that big of a deal though). This was naturally an exercise for ND to port their engine to PS4 as well, but.... I guess you gotta recoup R&D costs somehow? At 40€ which I paid for it (and including the DLC) I didn't feel ripped off. Moving from PS4 to PS5, given it's the same architecture and all that, should require no intervention.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

nintendo had more remaster than any other
did you get for free.
you know someone has to work on those, or do you think they magically became upgraded

MaestroMike

Gold Member
lol buy one game at a time then beat it buy another game then beat it u don't need to buy all those games at once. its better to play now then wait and play later otherwise you'll never play any games with that mindset. the graphics won't probably be even much of an upgrade and what we have now is awesome theres not really much room for improvement in the graphics department for many games anymore

anyways you need to live now bro in the future theyre going to release even more games and you won't have enough time to play and beat the games you're waiting on now while at the same time playing and beating future games. ur gunna have a HUGE backlog that you'll never complete. as u get older free time becomes more and more scarce play with the free time u have now don't wait

Mista

Banned
I think BC in the same ecosystem changes things though compared to last gen.

I was glad to have a 60fps TLoU too at the time.
We’ll see about that then.
nintendo had more remaster than any other
did you get for free.
you know someone has to work on those, or do you think they magically became upgraded
Backwards compatibility have you ever tried that? Because if yes, you never had to pay for something you own🤷🏻‍♂️

SLB1904

Banned
We’ll see about that then.

Backwards compatibility have you ever tried that? Because if yes, you never had to pay for something you own🤷🏻‍♂️

and you don't get high assets with bc.
and well you bought a ps3 game not a ps4.
im not here buying and expect to work with ps6 games. also sony already confirmed ps5 will be bc with ps4. wich is a given due to hardware similarities

again i have huge ass backlog maybe that's why i don't give a shit about bc, also i think to design a new hardware with old in mind is stupid. people love to claim they want bc and at the end of the day they never use.

Mista

Banned
Very true. I am still on the fence with it myself with what they will do.
Backwards compatibility bro is the answer without robbing us off. Both consoles are supporting BC so let us have that with a simple patch while moving to next-gen and thats it.

Mista

Banned
and you don't get high assets with bc.
and well you bought a ps3 game not a ps4.
im not here buying and expect to work with ps6 games. also sony already confirmed ps5 will be bc with ps4. wich is a given due to hardware similarities

again i have huge ass backlog maybe that's why i don't give a shit about bc, also i think to design a new hardware with old in mind is stupid. people love to claim they want bc and at the end of the day they never use.
Oh yes i had 4K for games that were barely 1080p thanks to BC and free patches :)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You want to be drooling over new games, its the nature of a gamer when someone is flooded with so many choices, my advice to the OP don't limit yourself.

SLB1904

Banned
Oh yes i had 4K for games that were barely 1080p thanks to BC and free patches :)
don't get me wrong. i think is a cool feature be able to go back and play old games and better.
i just think its not something that woulld be on the top of my list

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It won’t be the upgraded version so what’s the benefit here?

PS5 patch of the PS4 Pro patch? Who said that PS5 BC will not offer it for PS4/PS4 Pro titles given the demand and strong customer support of it with the mid generation consoles?

Who said that PS4 titles will receive PS5 versions instead of patches?

Pantz

If you can wait to play them then there's no reason to buy them now unless you want a pre-order bonus or something. The longer you wait, the better the digital sales will be.

If you can't wait then what are you waiting for? You either have to take the hit in having to rebuy the PS5 version or make an exception and buy physical copies now and replace them down the line during digtal sales. Either way you will at minimum have a PS4 BC game that should take some advantage of the new hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Backwards compatibility bro is the answer without robbing us off. Both consoles are supporting BC so let us have that with a simple patch while moving to next-gen and thats it.

Agreed. This is the most ideal. They can still repackage the same disc with a PS4/PS5 on the cover like MS did for select 360 games.

Keihart

LOL Sony won't even let you refund pre orders for games that haven't even launched.
I once got a refund on DMCV because i wanted to buy the deluxe version and there was no upgrade, this was preorders.
But yeah, it's not that common.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
PS5 patch of the PS4 Pro patch? Who said that PS5 BC will not offer it for PS4/PS4 Pro titles given the demand and strong customer support of it with the mid generation consoles?

Who said that PS4 titles will receive PS5 versions instead of patches?
Depending on the jump from PS3 to PS4 thats all. Nobody is talking about it like its confirmed so yeah :)

No worries here

9IejEMc.gif

I will need to buy a bigger house for the seriously X though.

Keihart

Also, call me crazy, but the Uncharted trilogy for example was way better in PS3 than their remasters, those game were like build up again to imitate their PS3 versions, same with TLoU remaster.
There are waaaaaay more bugs in the remasters than the originals, and some assets look super out of place, but then again, i'm more worried about consitency and artstyle and such than framerate or resolution. In fact i despise this "remasters" were games clearly made for a lower resolution get bastardized for HD like FF7 and 8 for example.

SoTC, RE2 and the like are whole other story i would say.
I would recomend just buying and playing whatever you want now OP, you have no idea if your are even gonna wake up tomorrow.

CrisPy2019

There's always something bigger and better coming. Why buy a Ps5 at launch, there might be unforeseen issues so you should wait to make sure, but if you are already waiting you might as well wait for a slim model, by by then the Ps5 Pro will probably be around the corner, but why buy it to just get 2-3 years out of it when the Ps6 is so close.

If you don't want to spend too much just buy them used, try to finish them quickly and resell them for $5-10 less than what you paid

LOL Sony won't even let you refund pre orders for games that haven't even launched.
Well quite unfortunate then haha nevermind then :/

Also, call me crazy, but the Uncharted trilogy for example was way better in PS3 than their remasters, those game were like build up again to imitate their PS3 versions, same with TLoU remaster.
There are waaaaaay more bugs in the remasters than the originals, and some assets look super out of place, but then again, i'm more worried about consitency and artstyle and such than framerate or resolution. In fact i despise this "remasters" were games clearly made for a lower resolution get bastardized for HD like FF7 and 8 for example.

SoTC, RE2 and the like are whole other story i would say.
I would recomend just buying and playing whatever you want now OP, you have no idea if your are even gonna wake up tomorrow.

For gameplay they're massive improvements though especially certain sections of Uncharted 1. I didn't notice the other problems you mention.

Nickolaidas

… I took out my X-box One X, booted it up - it did a system update (had it stored away for quite a while), and I told myself … should I keep investing in Microsoft as well as Sony?

I went to the MS store, and a 3-month Game Pass subscription was available for one fucking euro.

Fuck you, Phil.

You're like that stripper living on the house across mine, showing me her tits for free while she's dancing in front of her window, smiling at me, seducing me while I want to stay loyal to my girlfriend.

*sigh* now I have TWO consoles to buy next year ...

Pantz

… I took out my X-box One X, booted it up - it did a system update (had it stored away for quite a while), and I told myself … should I keep investing in Microsoft as well as Sony?

I went to the MS store, and a 3-month Game Pass subscription was available for one fucking euro.

Fuck you, Phil.

You're like that stripper living on the house across mine, showing me her tits for free while she's dancing in front of her window, smiling at me, seducing me while I want to stay loyal to my girlfriend.

*sigh* now I have TWO consoles to buy next year ...

What if those games you're waiting for play better on XSX?

Top Bottom