• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigh. UNCONFIRMED RUMOR: Microsoft undermining PS4 multiplat E3 games with $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murrah

Banned
If this is true wouldn't that potentially hurt third party's relations with Sony? Feel like this isn't worth it for anyone involved

Servbot24

Banned
But most everyone who watches E3 will know that they're multiplat, and it should be really easy for Sony to say "Yeah we have that game with better fps". Seems like waste of money to me. MS is going for the mindshare of the uneducated gamer, they should be sending these messages in shopping centers, not at a trade show where people will inevitably find out what's going on.

This is quite a realistic piece of information.
But, they're not going to spend money on every third party - only ones that benefit MS most in terms of public exposure. You can probably guess who they'll be.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Lulz.

Also what would stop Sony from just showing the footage? Do they need permission from the devs to put 3rd party games in their own conference?

Consoles always have there co marketed moneyhat games they give stage time to and whatnot but if this is for games that MS isnt giving stage time to then thats messed up.

I do expect unprecedented moneyhats from MS this year though but this rumour sounds a bit to petty for them but given recent events its hard to tell.

Hey I found the theme song for Microsofts e3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

def sim

Associating games to a console is a thing, but I doubt the people who buy consoles at launch will be fooled by this.

If this happens to be the case, that's just making Microsoft look even worse. I understand it's not a bad idea from a business perspective, but to me that seems rather scummy. If they want to get me to buy their machine they need to show me what I have to have it. That's usually done with console exclusives and features I won't get on other machines.

Sony keeps looking better and better to me right now.

zX0TA.gif

Lulz.

Also what would stop Sony from just showing the footage? Do they need permission from the devs to put 3rd party games in their own conference?

I think it is more likely that at the EA booth they will only be demoing CoD or Madden on Xbones and not show a PS4 version.

Well, it's not like Microsoft has a strong 1st party line up to compete against Nintendo and Sony. Not surprised they're throwing money around at 3rd parties big time like they did current gen.

Gotta wonder how long it will last. Playstation as a whole still looks more attractive anyhow. Least, to me it does. You won't be getting the same Jap games on X1.

StuBurns

Banned
Probably trying to avoid as many direct visual comparisons as possible and try to dominate mindshare.

But still pretty stupid.
It won't work, in fact, it'll hurt, because now all footage will be from XBO except the superior Sony exclusives. If someone saw the PS4 build of BF4, they might expect the XBO version to be of equal quality, if every single game shown is on XBO, and none of them hit par with Sony, it's going to look so much worse for MS.

GetemMa

MS has to act like Multiplats are particular to their platform because a variety of exclusives certainly are not.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Would be hilarious if the devs are suddenly forced to show their Xbone versions and they look poopy. I'd imagine there would be some grumbling on Twitter/etc if the PC/PS4 versions looked better but they couldn't show it

Moosehole

It's probably true, but how excatly does that benefit MS? Its not like the publishers aren't going to say the games are coming out for the PS4, they'll just only be showing the XBone versions on the floor.

Big whoop. They should have spent the money on something that would actually help them.

If they go through with those draconian DRM/online policies, no amount of money is going to save them from the backlash/exodus to the PS4 and maybe even the Wii U at this point.

abadguy

Banned
This. I bet no one recalls the outrage of Sony & Ubisofts Assasins Creed "Marketing Exclusive Deal" at E3 06? Lmao.
It meant shit then and will mean shit now.

I wonder if the X1 version of Destiny will show up at E3 after the gameplay reveal at Sony's presser.

JCreasy

Wait what about Destiny then?

They already committed right?

That might be the only multiplat I care about. Maybe MGSV too.

I want it to be true and it to become wide knowledge so people can see just how ridiculous Microsoft are at the moment. Publishers don't have to show their game off on the show floor or on stage, just take to Youtube and even PS Blog with the PS4 stuff.

It'll also be fun to see who goes with it.

Nags

Banned
I'm an attendee this year at E3, in no way related to press. I'll take pictures/video where I can to see how much of this is apparent.

If I wanted to make this a thread I would have made this a thread... but I suppose if I put something out there that I'm no longer in control of it once I hit submit. Which is why I should learn to shut up.

I have heard this. I heard this from a friend in third party and I've heard it elsewhere. I can't corroborate. I have also heard, from another source, which I posted about also that a lot of games aren't there because the publishers are saying they aren't ready. Is that BS because of moneyhats from MS? I have no idea.

I don't even completely believe this rumor which is why that post you quoted said to take it with a major grain of salt. E3 is a crazy time and as far as I understand the companies are *still* fighting to have things on stage with them and not with others. But some other folks posted that they heard this... so I joined in say I had also.

But unlike something like the games that i heard MS were showing (which have been all but confirmed at this point) this isn't something I'm 100% certain of. I was passing on a half assed rumor because it tis the season and people are hungry for any info they can get. So let me just say this again... these are things i've heard - i have no idea if they are true. I'm not vouching for them, just passing them on.

see5harp

How is this different than any other marketing deal. They didn't show 360 versions of AC3 last e3 and featured PS3 in their adverts. So this is like that but on a large scale? Won't many devs be running on high end PC's anyways? Who cares?

Cidd

If this turns out to be true, I can see it backfiring and it won't be pretty. I hope MS is better than this. I know it's business but doing shady shit like this just turn me off from a company, Why not try to convince buyers with compelling software rather than hiding the facts and buying your way to the top?

Unbelievable.

salromano

I wonder, if true, if that means publishers can't mention the PS4 version in the press release announcement? Or if it's just strictly tied to what's shown on the floor. E.g. You can announce Mirror's Edge 2 for PS4 and Xbox One, but the only version that will be at E3 is the Xbox One version.

So spending a shit ton of money to secure exclusive demo rights to games at E3 will somehow stop this dumpster fire of PR. Are they trying to fan the flames or just really ignorant that the internet exists and the games press releases will contain also on PS4. What are they going to do when the inevitable Digital Foundry comparison shows the PS4 version is superior? That's a lot of money just for a few videos.

burgerdog

This is so dumb, whether it's true or false. People are going to see the Sony 1st party games anyway. Unless MS pays them to cancel their E3 presentation, right? :lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So they might not show them at e3 but can they still show them after?

It's not like there isn't several months between e3 and launch to show off the PS4 versions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom