• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2, rttp or how I learned to stop worrying and love the fog

Shredderi

During the halloween 2014 I took it upon myself to start some kind of halloween tradition for myself and I decided to combine that with my long lasting desire to try some critically acclaimed horror titles of old that I was too scared to play at the time. In other words I started to play horror games during halloween. Last year started with Resident Evil 1-3 and Silent Hill 1. Chilling.

I was looking forward to this year's halloween in particular as it meant that I could finally try the revered Silent Hill 2. Some of you might question my decision to not play these games earlier, I mean why wait for Halloween? I dunno it just gets me into this mood where I can overcome my innate fear for effective horror games. I played the original ps2 version, not the HD remaster as I had heard some critique on that.

So I'm playing as this guy, James Sunderland and I'm going to Silent Hill because I received a letter from my wife. Nice, except the said wife had already died because of a disease. I meet some clearly disturbed woman on a graveyard and at first I note that the voice acting isn't really good, but it also has this kind of detached feeling because of it that I think somehow fits the game's surreal mood. Then I arrive to the titular location itself. I'm really scared because I don't handle these games that well. Part of the charm really. I see a weird figure in the distance venturing into the thick fog and decide follow it and some blood marks on the ground. That can't be good right?

I gotta say that I really prefer the town in Silent Hill 2 to the one in Silent Hill 1. If I remember correctly, Silent Hill 1 was more intense in having some dogs or something in the streets chasing me or those flying monsters. In Silent Hill 2 I had more room to explore and occasionally coming into contact with some creepy mannequins or something. I just liked the more mysterious mood better.

Right off the bat SH2 had wrapped me in this mystery that seemed more personal to the player character himself than some organization/cult things. I felt like SH1 was a story about the town and it's history more than SH2. SH2 I felt was the story of this tortured soul I was playing as. It was more engaging to me. As the story unravels it also makes you connect some dots regarding the creatures etc. A lot of hidden meanings behind symbols.

I'm not gonna narrate any more of my playthrough here but suffice to say that I loved it. It features a storyline that I think is damn near a masterpiece in video games and a really cool and scary surreal atmosphere where many things aren't what they seem. I'm actually glad that I didn't play this as a kid but as an adult who can better (but not completely) understand and appreciate the many subtleties in the game.

I just have one question to those of you who have completed the game: What was the hole? Why was it there? Why is it gone now?

Bonus: I already started Silent Hill 3 and to my small disappointment I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did SH2. I'm still not in Silent Hill itself but in some sort of sewers. I really didn't like the whole mall and subway sections and the game is much more in-your-face with the monster encounters. They're everywhere and it's part of the reason I'm not finding it scary at all. I'm just assuming that each new room/location has enemies, sometimes in so many numbers that fighting them would be just futile. I'm hoping that the game gets better when I get to Silent Hill.

chibi_mid_head_silent_hill_by_desfunk.png

Guri

It's great to know you loved Silent Hill 2. It is as good as you said.

There are different theories regarding the hole. In SH1, Harry visits Green Lion Antiques twice. The first time, it has a hole. In the Nowhere dimension, the hole is gone. Could be a reference. Or it could be a reference to the holes Henry has to enter in Silent Hill 4 to go to other places. Or a metaphor regarding James/Mary (the leaps at Toluca Prison or Mary's purpose in James' life). It's up to you to believe which you think it makes most sense.

As for Silent Hill 3, it is connected to Silent Hill 1, just like 2 is connected to 4. You may not like it as much as 2, but it is still an awesome game.

Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games and stories in games. I too have to really push myself to play horror games since they affect me so much. But I'm so glad I bought and completed SH2 when it came out (ICO and SH2 both came out the same day in the US).

I loved it because it wasn't jump scare horror but more psychological and it's one the longer you play in one sitting the more the game just wears you down. And then the reveals of what the town of Silent hill does to players
the horrors you see is based on the baggage you bring, and different people will see different things is. Great concept . One I thought would allow lots of freedom for the series later on.
and of course the ending were amazing.

A game everyone should play IMO

If I had to pick the best game ever, it would be SH2. It's funny how the game still makes me fear like nothing else, so in favorite games-times played I think it is fairly low. Done all the endings, I should play the side story sometime as I own the PC version now too.

Shredderi

Listen while you read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB7LZZGpkw

Such a classic. So sad Silent Hill isn't great anymore :(

Forgot to mention this, but yes the OST is fantastic!

It's great to know you loved Silent Hill 2. It is as good as you said.

There are different theories regarding the hole. In SH1, Harry visits Green Lion Antiques twice. The first time, it has a hole. In the Nowhere dimension, the hole is gone. Could be a reference. Or it could be a reference to the holes Henry has to enter in Silent Hill 4 to go to other places. Or a metaphor regarding James/Mary (the leaps at Toluca Prison or Mary's purpose in James' life). It's up to you to believe which you think it makes most sense.

As for Silent Hill 3, it is connected to Silent Hill 1, just like 2 is connected to 4. You may not like it as much as 2, but it is still an awesome game.

Ah, I see. Thank you for giving me some idea about the hole. I'm certainly not giving up on SH3 as I've heard good things about it. The beginning just doesn't grab me like SH2 did. I do like some of the monster designs though. The enemies seem more... Meaty and cancerous?

epmode

I would buy a fixed PC version of this game SO HARD. Haven't played it in ages. I don't want to drag out my PS2 and those HD ports are kind of garbage.

(I'd also like the dialogue to be re-recorded but I don't think that's a very popular opinion)

Guri

Ah, I see. Thank you for giving me some idea about the hole. I'm certainly not giving up on SH3 as I've heard good things about it. The beginning just doesn't grab me like SH2 did. I do like some of the monster designs though. The enemies seem more... Meaty and cancerous?

Definitely! There is a lot of symbolism in SH3 as well.

EGM1966

Nice to see more SH2 love. It's a genuine classic. Handles multiple endings perfectly and tells a true mature tale through the medium itself. Everything about it is pretty much note perfect (apart from the VO work but as you know thankfully it actually works if more by accident than design).

SH3 is a fun romp but by bring a sequel to SH1 and bring town and cults to the fore vs the personal psychology of an individual it's just not as truly affecting or involving (although it's pretty good for what it is).

As for the hole, it's pretty ambiguous, like much in the game, and I feel works best when interpreted individually vs trying to pin down some sort of "cannon" explanation.

vityaz

It is probably my favourite game, it's so friggin' good. And the soundtrack is indeed a masterpiece.

What ending did you get? Replay it and get the other ones as well!

AdaWong

Silent Hill games where the cult shit is extremely little to non-existent are the best games: Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill: Downpour, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Woffls

Started playing this for the first time yesterday having picked up the special edition on PS2 a few months ago.

Got to the prison and had to stop playing because there were creepy new sounds that I wasn't familiar with coming from the northern row of prison cells... 3spooky

MajorTom

I just played through Silent hill 2 for the first time last weekend.
I thought it was really good. Not amazing but really good.
I imagine I would have liked it more if I played it when it was first released.
I just bought silent hill 3 and 4. Going to start 3 later today :)

LegendX48

2 was pretty damn good, I prefer 1 and 3 myself though :p

Played through them for the first time last year. Can't believe I missed out on these way back when they initially released.

Shredderi

It is probably my favourite game, it's so friggin' good. And the soundtrack is indeed a masterpiece.

What ending did you get? Replay it and get the other ones as well!

I got the
Water ending where James drives his car into the lake I think

Started playing this for the first time yesterday having picked up the special edition on PS2 a few months ago.

Got to the prison and had to stop playing because there were creepy new sounds that I wasn't familiar with coming from the northern row of prison cells... 3spooky

Oh shit. Is that where there is that low male whispering/chanting voice? I got so fucking spooked by that.

addik

Man, how Silent Hill 2 told its story is still mindboggling. I love how it tied the world to James' psyche in an effective and impactful way. Just the amount of detail put in to the world and the love put in this game was just astounding. Team Silent will always be a legendary team.

It's strange, though, with Anita has been in the spotlight recently, how this game had never been discussed by Feminist thinkers. It may not have a "positive" representation of women, but that's because
the game is a critique of patriarchy

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is probably in the conversation for best game ever made. The way the designers melded the story and themes of the game with the gameplay systems, world, characters, and music is absolutely a high water mark in gaming. The stunning thing about the game is that the superb English dialogue (and general writing) was not written by native speakers. The performances are memorable and meaningful, and the casting decisions obviously reflected a lot of thought put into each character by the designers.

The In Water ending is gutsy and brave. Mary tearfully reading her letter to James while James runs to the final area of the game is really a highlight of gaming for me.

Shredderi

This game is probably in the conversation for best game ever made. The way the designers melded the story and themes of the game with the gameplay systems, world, characters, and music is absolutely a high water mark in gaming. The stunning thing about the game is that the superb English dialogue (and general writing) was not written by native speakers. The performances are memorable and meaningful, and the casting decisions obviously reflected a lot of thought put into each character by the designers.

The In Water ending is gutsy and brave. Mary tearfully reading her letter to James while James runs to the final area of the game is really a highlight of gaming for me.

Couldn't agree more, but I will! I know Silent Hill 2 came out like 15 years ago but it has been without a doubt my gaming highlight of 2015 and it will stay with me for a long time I'm sure. One of the most haunting games I've ever played.

Been in a Silent Hill 2 mood lately, it's possibly the best game ever made. I've never analysed and invested so much of myself into anything as much as SH2. The characters and their stories, even the monsters, just about everything is so well done, especially how the monsters relate to James himself. Not to forget it's amazing ost. Akira Yamaoka is a God.

If you have some spare time OP I'll suggest you to check out the making of SH2 and Fungo's let's play of SH2 where he was acompanied by Guy Cihi(James' VA). Guy made a lot of revelations which people either just speculated about or knew nothing and shed a lot of insight into James point of view of things.

Shredderi

Been in a Silent Hill 2 mood lately, it's possibly the best game ever made. I've never analysed and invested so much of myself into anything as much as SH2. The characters and their stories, even the monsters, just about everything is so well done, especially how the monsters relate to James himself. Not to forget it's amazing ost. Akira Yamaoka is a God.

If you have some spare time OP I'll suggest you to check out the making of SH2 and Fungo's let's play of SH2 where he was acompanied by Guy Cihi(James' VA). Guy made a lot of revelations which people either just speculated about or knew nothing and shed a lot of insight into James point of view of things.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Shredderi

Yep, that's the one. I thought I was getting used to all the eerie ambient sounds in the game, then I hear this.

Hah, I can relate. I spend a good time looking for the source of that sound because I was sure that I'd get jumped by something.

gabagool

Banned
A lot of people say the voice acting is bad and I can't agree one bit. The only performance that was weak was Guy Cihi's, but even then the voice direction was fantastic and Guy brings a lot of emotion to his role as James.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not gonna narrate any more of my playthrough here but suffice to say that I loved it. It features a storyline that I think is damn near a masterpiece in video games and a really cool and scary surreal atmosphere where many things aren't what they seem. I'm actually glad that I didn't play this as a kid but as an adult who can better (but not completely) understand and appreciate the many subtleties in the game.

If I were to make an RttP thread, this is exactly what my sentiment would be.

Golnei

A lot of people say the voice acting is bad and I can't agree one bit. The only performance that was weak was Guy Cihi's, but even then the voice direction was fantastic and Guy brings a lot of emotion to his role as James.

The voice acting is uneven, but largely I'd agree it adds more to the game than it takes away, especially compared with the bland HD performances. With the exception of Angela just being consistently awful - the iDroid had more life to it.

.Anema

Today I was remembering how great and beautiful this game is.
I mean, the characters, the symbolism, the treatment, the atmosphere, the music, the narrative, the script... Everything is brilliant.
I will never forget the holes in the prison. A really beautiful game.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was seeing Akira Yamaoka perform Silent Hill Live this weekend, and it made me really appreciate again what a masterpiece Silent Hill 2 was.

The plot remains the best ever done in a videogame. Intimate, mysterious, sad, and incredibly integrated with the gameplay. It's a journey of self discovery for the player.

But also the gallery of characters is spectacular in hoe memorable it is. The fat guy, the knife chick, the little girl, the pivotal blone... as soon as they came up it felt like no time has passed since I last interacted with them when the game came out.

The locations were iconic as well - the chat in the jail cell, the long walk, rowing the boat, Heaven's Night... Such ambience.

And the main theme and opening trailer, so damn good.

Falk

that puzzling face
The locations were iconic as well - the chat in the jail cell, the long walk, rowing the boat, Heaven's Night... Such ambience.

I think what stuck out to me the most a decade and a half later was that little period of time where Maria is first killed by Pyramid Head to when she reappears again. Teenage me went from shock, to depressed (to the point of actually wanting to call it quits playing the game), to utterly confounded in the span of a few hours.

Add that to how the game wraps up and can be interpreted in a number of ways, and the whole Born From A Wish sub-scenario that fleshes out Maria herself from simply being a manifestation into a self-aware entity, and we have something that few games have truly managed to capture in terms of narrative.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will say this as someone who has Silent Hill 3 as the favorite of the franchise: Stop trying to compare it to Silent Hill 2, they are very different games. SH1-4, despite being all in the same franchise, each have VERY different atmospheres. In general, I think SH1 has a dark and gritty, oppressive feeling where everything seems to want to kill you. In SH2, I think the game has a 'cold' atmosphere, a mystic aura, a sense of mystery and deeper sense of surrealism and self-importance, and if SH1 could be described in one word as "dark", I would choose "cold", or maybe the game that feels the most like the "fog" that's in Silent Hill.

Silent Hill 3 is the most 'intense' of the series, it is the most fleshy, 'hot', and womb-like. Silent Hill 3 is the most 'intense' of the SH series, it has some of the best scares, the most hidden secrets, the most combat, and the most combat. You play as a moody teenager who's in a fresh birthing world of the Otherworld rather than anything quaint. However, it has its downtime moments, and in my opinion I like the characters also the most in SH3 (even though I think SH3 has a better story, though you haven't met one of the best characters in SH3 yet at the point you're at). I don't want to spoil any fun, but it's also the most worthwhile to explore and take your time in, there are a lot of secrets for the observant ones, from hidden scenes/cutscenes, hidden weapons, hidden easter eggs, and more. To give a random example, there's a few you probably already missed, one you missed would be in the subway tunnels you can locate several diaries talking about ghost encounters in the subway which leads to a kind of cool hidden scene. Also, if you're playing on Hard difficulty, the following Sewers are MUCH more tense since the whole area turns to Otherworld instead of normal and slowly drains your health, making the area a lot more hectic/womb-feeling/panic-inducing. On Normal and Easy difficulty, the sewers are just dark and labyrinth like and you don't have to do the dashing for safe area to safe area thing, but it's well-handled I think.

Meanwhile, personally, I always thought Silent Hill 4 was the scariest. It's the oddest SH game, it has a dream/nightmare like feeling, the feeling of a slow descent, something overtaking, and has more of a stale air/molding feeling for the atmosphere.

How I'd describe it all, at least.

NewGame

Banned
It's a true testament to games as art while also being technically advanced, using elements of stealth and combat in ways that the survival horror genre plays in spades of tention and tactic.

The third game is technically more impressive but the second still holds up perfectly, it still looks and sounds better than the majority of games out there today in both artistic merit and sound design.

Remember, this game is considered a PS1 launch title for some. :)

Matty77

Love this game, while I would not say best game ever probably the best horror, and in competition with SOTC for best game on the PS2.

As for 3, it's a technical marvel no matter how you look at it, worth playing for how gorgeous it looks even in this day and age. Story wise your mileage will vary based on your connection to the first since it's a direct sequel. I find the people who liked it best played 1 when it was the only silent hill.

Falk

that puzzling face
I will say this as someone who has Silent Hill 3 as the favorite of the franchise: Stop trying to compare it to Silent Hill 2, they are very different games.

Word. Silent Hill 3 feels a lot less about figuring out why your playable character is so messed up in the head and question after question about what's real and what's not, and a lot more like simply surviving hell and escaping.

I love both for different reasons.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Silent Hill 2 best of the series me and my daughter played game together when she was little

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
It's foggy here in London today. Makes me want to play this game for the 10th time. Fantastical masterpiece!
If you want a fitting soundtrack, listen to Opeth's Damnation album.

Silent Hill games where the cult shit is extremely little to non-existent are the best games: Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill: Downpour, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Except the cult 'shit' is the main reason the games exist in the first place. Don't go hating the cult just because it doesn't fit the psychological horror of the other SH games.

Putting SH2 and Downpour in the same category...
Yikes.

Shredderi

Where you buying Silent Hill games? I can't find them for PC anywhere :(

Were those only for PS2 or PS3 too? Thank you.

I have an original PS2 version that I borrowed from a friend. I think SH3 is for pc but I have no idea where one could buy it.

I will try my best not to compare SH3 to SH2 too much but it comes pretty easily because I'm playing them right after the other.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have an original PS2 version that I borrowed from a friend. I think SH3 is for pc but I have no idea where one could buy it.

I will try my best not to compare SH3 to SH2 too much but it comes pretty easily because I'm playing them right after the other.

SH3 will pick up, but I say take your time to enjoy things. Where I think SH3 picks up tremendously is actually close to where you are (right after you get out of the sewers, and it scales from there, in my opinion, though I didn't dislike the mall or subway personally either so take as you will).

Top Bottom