• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Creator’s New Horror Game Will “Mess With The Player’s Mind”

GrayChild

“The current game we are working on may sound abstract,” Kazunobu Sato explained during the interview. “When I first heard the concept from Toyama I thought it was going to be a terrible game, but in a good way though [laughs]. The reason I describe it this way is that in order to achieve every goal there is a sacrifice you have to make, however, in this game the scale of these sacrifices takes is quite nasty.”

The choice whether you follow that path or not comes down to the player, and I think – in fact – that it is terrible to ask for something like how the game will mess with the player’s mind. It gouges you in a good way. This is what attracted me to it. If we stick to that path, I believe that many players will enjoy the game,” Sato concluded.

Some of the previously release concept arts of the game:

dceUaqb.png

Rng7Yfw.png

rxY3BHZ.png

9BBs9qN.png

FnF14o8.png

kunonabi

Resident evil 8 was supposed to”mess with gamers heads” and it honestly didn’t and was just a traditional horror game.
Toyama is far less of a hack than the people running RE. The real trick is if the gameplay and concept are going to have actual synergy this time which he hasnt really managed outside of Silent Hill and Siren 2.

Nickolaidas

Now that's some body horror I like. Honestly, who cares about reviving Silent Hill when the CREATOR of the original IP is about to make a spiritual successor, fueled with the knowledge of past mistakes when he made the older IP and less limitations to hinder his new vision?

I couldn't care less at this point whether Silent Hill and Dead Space are coming back. We get the TRUE sequels in a couple of years.

Well, Resident Evil 8 indeed mess with gamers, but not their head.
Not everyone wanted to jerk off to Lady D.

Besides, the Doll House was quite fucked up.

Last edited:

Aion002

Eternal Darkness 2
Hopefully not. Other than some cool and unique stuff, Eternal Darkness is just a zombie killing game, that after some playing becomes too easy because of the op spells that player acquires.

It has a cool story and gimmicks, but it's not really scary or remarkable as Silent Hill and Siren.

Anyway, day one.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The game sounds cool, excited to hear more.

I really like the way japanese devs talk about games but I'm unsure if its specific to game dev or more just japanese cultural differences.

Not sure there is anyone viewing this thread who fits the bill, but would someone who is japanese or at least speaks it fluently and has lived there a while AND is at least remotely connected to the games industry in japan mind PMing me for a quick chat? I want to ask some questions about the game design culture and japanese culture in general.

Speaking over voice would probably make it easier because its hard to put into text what I want to ask as well, but no worries if you don't have time for that/just don't like voice chatting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom